Project:Delorean

It is the DI-524 by d-link. Lots of discussion on forums about the overheating and dropping out possibly due to overheating. In my move I'll be going completely wireless so it was more/less a necessity. Used a 40mm fan. Its cheap and works great for our little home network. I did not think buying a new router was justified when a hole, fan and some solder and epoxy would fix the issue.
IMG_2849.jpg

You can see the poor heatsink on the chip on the right. The cover on this model comes off with 2 screws and the PCB comes off with 2 more. Very simple design... just needed a small fan.

Hope this helps.

The sheet of metal on the right is actually primarily an RF shield. You'll see them on PCI wireless cards too. It may act as a heatspreader, but usually not so much... hence the overheating! :)

Good to know! I had thought about a small heatsink but noticed how it was soldered to the board. The fan definitely seems to have done the trick. Thank you for the the clarification.

Alrighty, well, I got my new video cards... X1950Pro. I did not realize how much of an issue the card length would be in this case. I need suggestions of where to put the pump. Here is a current pic.
IMG_2914.jpg

I was thinking about just putting it inverted on the PSU support rail. Kind of ugly tho. Or try and stuff it inside the 3.5 inch bay.

I recently moved thus the lack of updates. I got my little Delorean shrine going on now:
IMG_2915.jpg

Thanks in advance for the input.

maybe put a couple of the hard drives in the 3.5" bay (or maybe even the 5.25" bays you don't use) or else try to make them closer together, so you can squeeze the pump inside the hard drive rack on the floor of the case. You can just rotate it so the inlet/outlet are on the left side. That might involve some cutting of the hard drive rails, but it looks like that's close to where the pump is naturally gonna lie with the tubing setup you have pictured.

I tried moving my hard drives and in checking temperatures this may be a good option. I need to order some more tygon tubing though. I'm out and the previous stuff I have is tinted green a bit from the coolant I used in my previous build. I'll see what I can do with this as I really need to get going more.

I did place an order from mouser yesterday for LEDs and rocker switches for the doors. I also plan on pulling off the cooler covers for the video cards and painting them the same gray as the front.

OK, so I had a little time today to do some video card customization. Basically I wanted to make the fan covers blend in so I just peeled off the sticker and cleaned off the sticky residue then a coat of paint. Easy enough. I had to pull off the entire heat sink to get it apart to paint just the top part and I was in for a surprise. Anyone who has taken off the IHS of their AMD chip has been given the gift of extra thermal compound. Well, this was worse.
IMG_2933.jpg

Its blurry but you can see the build up around the chip and how it just stuck up from removing the cooler. Talk about a mess! It was like this for BOTH cards. Anyone with a HIS card... I recommend you pull it off and redo the thermal compound.
IMG_2935.jpg

After cleaning with rubbing alcohol I was shocked to learn that the heat sink is not copper. looks like copper but... just PAINT!!! easily came off with rubbing alcohol onto my q-tip. It cools quite effectively and its quiet so I really am not thinking of changing to something more... copper. So anyway....
IMG_2938.jpg

Here is the end product. It is subtle when installed but I think more conducive to the case.

I want to thank JPGR87 in advance here. I removed the bracket for the D5 and it fits in there quite well. Thanks a BUNCH!!
IMG_2940.jpg

I also got the front redone as well.
IMG_2941.jpg

wow no need to thank me, you're the creative genius here!

its looking really good so far. My dad's friend has a delorean that's been sitting in a garage for about 10 years, he's trying to get it back out on the road. I would take it in a second, but he wasn't looking to sell :(

I love your mr. fusion. You're doing a really great job with this mod, i can't wait to see the finished product

Thank you!! My wife is so supportive of the project and sometimes I think she is bias when it comes to my work so to hear it from the community is quite flattering.

Along those lines, I had a small chat with the wife and looking at the time frame and work left to be done I am making it a goal to finish everything but the doors before I go back to school on the 20th of August. Granted I will be on vacation from the 4th to the 13th and then I have surgery on my hand the 14th... so I think it is fairly reasonable to do what is left. I have also gotten distracted by a new game.. track mania united. platform racing FTW!!!

the list to get done before school:
touch sensor lights
fix inside monitor(not working for some reason)
lights on the waterblock for flux capacitor effect
Light panel on front(still debating on one for the sides
Case wheels in hover conversion
Cable management

Got the LEDs on saturday and got them in this morning
IMG_2953.jpg

The picture does not really do it justice. Using the flash on my camera was the only way to get a clear picture. No flash and its all blurry and you can see the effect... sort of. Anyways, I ordered the wheels and tires for the case feet as well as some EL wire for the front light panel. More lexan work there... :rolleyes:

Wow, what a clever way to use the tubes, window and LEDs. Hit your head on the sink or something?

wow it turned out great. looking froward to seeing on how you are gonna get this side panels to open up like you want them to. Also to add the touch you should hook up one of those power buttons that needs a key (forgot the name of if them) that would ad a nice spark to this mod. Great job so far and its looking nice.

.... Also to add the touch you should hook up one of those power buttons that needs a key (forgot the name of if them) that would ad a nice spark to this mod...
IIRC, it's called a keylock switch. (digikey has lots)

I look into those keylock switches. THanks for the suggestion. I got the tires for the case feet but the rims are on back order so that may not be done soon. The doors will be longer than that.

This is looking great! Subscribed.

I've always been a huge fan of the DMC-12 and if I ever get my hands on some extra money, i'd buy one in a heartbeat. My wife and I rented some storage at a local company when we moved into our new house and there's a DeLorean parked out in the back... It's probably been sitting there for a few years... such a shame. :(

Looks awesome. :D If you want to get good pictures in the dark, turn off the flash, then set the camera on something sturdy like a shelf or tripod. Then you snap the picture without holding onto the camera. It won't blur.

Thanks for the tip w1retap;) and might I say your basement is something that I envy in life.

i donno if you've heard, but i've read a few articles saying the delorean might be making a comeback, and might be going back into production. woohoo :p

Looks awesome. :D If you want to get good pictures in the dark, turn off the flash, then set the camera on something sturdy like a shelf or tripod. Then you snap the picture without holding onto the camera. It won't blur.
The time feature on your camera is perfect for this, by the way. Done it plenty of times myself.

i donno if you've heard, but i've read a few articles saying the delorean might be making a comeback, and might be going back into production. woohoo :p

I have not heard this. John Delorean died recently so I'm not sure who would be backing it. I know he had a super car planned but it never came to fruition. I would love to see a modernized version. something closer to JZD's firestar 500 concept. Of course gullwing doors and stainless steel are a must.

I have not heard this. John Delorean died recently so I'm not sure who would be backing it. I know he had a super car planned but it never came to fruition. I would love to see a modernized version. something closer to JZD's firestar 500 concept. Of course gullwing doors and stainless steel are a must.

The company that's currently doing the restoration work on the remaining ones is talking about starting up "kit" production.

my google-fu turned up this article dated about 4 days ago (july 30).
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=3428958

So its not a full out comeback, but 24 new cars a year is better than nothing. It kind of reminds me of Unique Performance and their quest to make new 1967 shelby mustangs. Lets hope these deloreans turn out better than the shit Unique Performance cranks out (in terms of build quality).

46k for a restored delorean? i need to plant a money tree...

Interesting. Isn't there a company in Texas that specializes in rebuilding DeLoreans and do all sorts of mods if you have the cash? I remember seeing it on Modern Marvels (80's tech I believe).

Yeah, this is the same company. They actually bought the Delorean Motor Company name, along with all the parts & pieces of the unbuilt cars, when John Delorean went bankrupt. That's what they've been using to restore the older (already built) models, and what they'll use to build the new ones.

However, I'm in hopes that they'll take advantage of some of the newer power trains that are out there now, that will give greater performance at better fuel economy. One of the biggest complaints of the original models was the lackluster performance of the 2.5liter engine that John Delorean was (somewhat) forced to put in his cars. I'd love to see them put at least a turbocharged 4-cylinder in these new models, or possibly even shoehorn a 6 or 8 cylinder engine into them! :eek:

For all of those who have been watching my mod thus far I apologize for not posting updates. With school back in session and recovery from hand surgery things have been slow. Then my wife wanted a HTPC so I converted our server to do that and be a server. I have been trying to do things on the case but with the components inside it has been a real struggle. I have accumulated parts that I need but have just needed an empty case. So I purchased a used TT Armor case and will be slightly modifying it to fit all of my components so I can continue work on the Delorean. I will mount the BIP 360 rad on the front in the 5.25" bay area with one bay empty and a diverter to allow air to be pulled in from the front and blowing back out over the rad. This will isolate the heat from the rad from the rest of the case. The optical drive will be in the front obviously but I'll have to relocate buttons to the top panel. Everything should fit fine and the case change should not take long and allow reliability.

On the Delorean, I have materials to do the neon pieces on the external portion as well as materials to finish the case feet for the hover conversion. I can also work on the slight trimmings I need to do to get the doors to open and shut properly. I need to get the LEDs mounted for the turn on buttons. The monitor on the back of the motherboard has stopped working so I need to fix that AGAIN. It works but the cathode lights are not working, so probably just a small wiring issue. I also need to more permanently attach the Mr. Fusion to the top of the case which again is minor.

On another note to get the Armor case I had to agree with my wife to sell some stuff to help cover costs. so take a look and buy if you can to help the cause.:)

saw a living, breathing, driving, complete DMC12 2 or 3 weeks ago, amazingly low profile car, looks much nicer moving than in pictures :p saw the REALLY short windscreen, and a big badge in the center of the very squared grill, and i grinned, thought of the thread, and waited for it to fly by :D Looked so nice in the sun...

Unfortunately no update. My wife has me modding the case for our server/HTPC. I was planning on doing work over the holidays but I'm pretty sure I will not have time for The D. School has been a mess this semester to the point where I do not have time on weekends to do things. In addition my wife is expecting again. We found out in September so basically in addition to school I watch our 3-year-old on the weekends to give her a break. Anyways... happy holidays!

Great mod!

Back to the Future is one of my favorite movies ever, and seeing a DeLorean casemod done so well is a joy. :D

Back