Production 2010 Camaro Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The 2010 Chevy Camaro production specs are out. Car Tribe has all the details and some pics too, though if you’ve seen 2007’s Transformers then you’ve already seen what the body style pretty much looks like. I like how it hearkens back to the late 60’s models, much like Ford’s Mustang refresh. The US will start seeing these in early 2009 with the rest of the world shortly after.

The Camaro will come in LS, LT and full-on SS specs and be available with 6-speed manual and auto transmissions. Under the bonnet sit fuel-efficient 296bhp 3.6-litre V6 and 416bhp 6.2-litre V8 engines, which can run on fewer cylinders to improve economy.

I see them almost every day. Gotta love living in detroit.

I got pics of the 2009 ZR-1 that was around the corner from here a couple weekends ago at a bed and breakfast... pretty sharp car... love the european design cues.

Im not a camaro fan, but god damn that is a beautiful car. Say hello to my new desktop background.

Is the edit button not there for anybody else?

Anyway, you can get the base 09 challenger for ~$22,000, which is pretty sweet if you are getting one just for the looks.

Shame Terry didn't mention the new Challenger.

I'm quite glad I just graduated as an engineer - one of those Mopars will be mine, because I'm gonna order one with the 370 cu in Hemi :) in a month or two (gotta make sure the insurance won't rape me too hard)

The legendary 426 Hemi > everything else. (1964 Daytona 500, especially)

While some may disagree with my choice in brands, or engines, there is one thing I'm sure we all share: the sound of the big V-8 never ever gets old.

Challenger is way better, Mopar FTW

*pic snip*

Make sure you go look at one in person - the pictures, while good, don't do the car justice. (I saw a Hemi Orange one at a Mopars-only car show a week ago... and the owner let me drool all over it!) For example, the forged aluminum wheels are so sharp-looking in person. Not to mention the fuel door, the hood, the grille, oh and the engine... :D

Make sure you go look at one in person - the pictures, while good, don't do the car justice. (I saw a Hemi Orange one at a Mopars-only car show a week ago... and the owner let me drool all over it!) For example, the forged aluminum wheels are so sharp-looking in person. Not to mention the fuel door, the hood, the grille, oh and the engine... :D

Were you at Mopars at Carlise too?!?!?!?!

I was, they had this years, next years, all kinds. The car is dead sexy and 100% bad ass.

I like the challengers, but I will say the new Camaro looks nice. It's the interior though.. it looks.. uhh... bad. It looks very cheap.

It's a shame the Camaro's won't be had for less than 10,000 over sticker. The dealer assrape, uhh, I mean markup will be astounding.

Oh, those "Hemi" motors are just that in name. They don't even have hemispherical combustion chambers (where the moniker was originally founded). Decent motors for VERY heavy cars, though.

I will never understand how Americans can get such a low amount of horsepower from such a big engine.

Righteous!!!

It's damn time we start to see some of the old school start to be "reborn"
in the current tech. I've been sick of all the CRAP that's been rolling out
of the big 3 for the last 20-30 years.

Almost thought we'd totally lost what was distinctively "American" about
our love affair with cars (as a nation). I'm SO glad I was wrong.

/drool back on...

I will never understand how Americans can get such a low amount of horsepower from such a big engine.

We get better fuel economy out of them if you hadn't noticed? Lower Redline. More torque + Lower redline = same performance + Better fuel economy, only downside is a bigger package.

Anyway, Can't wait for the new camaro. If anything I would buy the 300hp RS (That V6 seems AWESOME. Honestly. I love V8's, but DI is awesome. ) and save pennies for a G8 GTP...

As to the challenger SRT8, I got to see TWO brand new ones at a car show last tuesday :D Both owners took delivery on the thursday before. They were fricking beautiful.

I am so disapointed in the Camaro. As a former owner of a Z-28 and a TransAm, it saddens me that GM could have screwed it up so bad. The interior is just horrible. The Challenger, on the other hand, is a home run. I was afraid Chrysler would screw it up, and put the interior from the show car into the production car, but instead, they basically took the Charger interior and used it, and that's fine with me. I just wish I could have held out for another two years before I had to buy a new car, if I could have, I would be buying a Challenger in 2010, but I had to buy in December, so it was a Charger for me. I'm very happy with it, but I would have rather had the Challenger.

I'll never understand how someone can call an engine "performance" when it has 300 hp, but only 100#tq at 9000rpm. There is (almost) no replacement for displacement.

euros wouldnt know what to do with our torque anyways =P

sign me up for a SS with a supercharger in 3 years when i finish nursing...

Anyone else notice the top right gauge in the center stack is a torque gauge. That's about the lamest thing in a car I've seen in a long time. Nice looking on the outside, except for the cheap chrome trim around the brake lights, additionally it looks like typical GM trying to cut costs by using a bunch of hard plastic inside, and the inside is way to busy for my tastes. I would expect the cheap interior from a Cobalt, but to do this in the new Camero is all wrong. And after the first 6 months when production is up to speed the dealers will be dealing on them.

I would expect the cheap interior from a Cobalt, but to do this in the new Camero is all wrong.

Why? The last Camaro had one of the worst interiors ever made. I'd think if they put a nice interior in it former Camaro owners would bitch about it and wax nostalgic about their crappy hard plastic and HVAC knobs that break off after 6 months. I think they're just keeping with tradition.

From what I've read the 420 horse variant starts at 28 grand. That's pretty cheap for 420 horses. Can't really expect a BMW interior at the price. Or even a Honda interior.

That's about the lamest thing in a car I've seen in a long time.

Sure, it's worthless, but joe six pack is gonna love it. I think it's a brilliant addition for that reason alone.

I've always been a Ford guy but if I can get my FJ Cruiser paid off within the next year or so I'll definitely be in the market for either a Camaro or a Challenger, I think they're both brilliant.

I've always been a Ford guy but if I can get my FJ Cruiser paid off within the next year or so I'll definitely be in the market for either a Camaro or a Challenger, I think they're both brilliant.

Just wondering how well does the new FJ perform + what is real life mileage (yeah i know killjoy)

Around town I get 17 mpg. Performance is great, especially off road. The off road package is a bargain. Having 31+" tires, locking rear diff, & limited slip front diff from the factory = FTW.

Its because this 6.2L V8's overall physical size and weight is smaller and lower than most DOHC V6 and V8's roughly 3/4's its displacement. (We're not even talking about the 7.0L LS7, which would be very close to this engine's physical size and weight, yet internally displaces more and generates more hp.)

Only engine that comes close off the top of my head is the 6.2L AMG V8. That engine is a lot more complicated. Even the various worshipped small engine + turbo combination would be hardpressed to compete because of the added weight and space of tubing and intercooling.

Think of it this way, the LSx family with its pushrods and 2 huge valves trades the physical weight and space of the complexity of DOHC heads for more internal displacement. The pushrod heads don't flow as well, but you get the extra displacement to help it out. Add the fact the fuel efficiency for the car and power is at least on par, its a pretty nice design.

Unfortunately, most people don't realize this and just fall back simply to the HP/L metric. Its like saying CPU A is faster than CPU B because CPU A runs at a higher clock frequency. Its not the complete picture.

I'll never understand how someone can call an engine "performance" when it has 300 hp, but only 100#tq at 9000rpm. There is (almost) no replacement for displacement.

Thats because u dont understand that u dont need gobs of toruqe to accelerate a lightweight vehicle. Please look up Formula 1 for more knowledge.

Im reading that later on they are going to offer another engine. The Lnf thats in the solstice gxp and the new cobalt ss turbo. It offers 260hp and 260tq and prob better mileage. But the only thing im worried about is would it be able to power a car of this size?

The solstice and cobalt are small calls compared to this and weigh less to. The cobalt ss turbo weighs 1349kg compared to the 1700kg camaro witch making me think this isnt a good idea,

Why can't GM make a good, quality, rattle free interior as the other makers? I mean, they have some of the best looking vehicles this new Camaro included. Their interiors however, have always been made with sub-par materials and rattle like crazy after 10K miles or so. This is no exception. There is a horizontal seam in the dash all the way across the inside! Unless that's soft touch material and not hard plastic, and they were smart enough to use felt between the joint, it's going to squeak and rattle like crazy!

PHOTO_1479035_7276_262064_main.jpg

Around town I get 17 mpg. Performance is great, especially off road. The off road package is a bargain. Having 31+" tires, locking rear diff, & limited slip front diff from the factory = FTW.

Too bad offroading voids the warranty on an FJ :D

Thats because u dont understand that u dont need gobs of toruqe to accelerate a lightweight vehicle. Please look up Formula 1 for more knowledge.

Yes, but a Formula 1 car can barely move itself from a standstill. I doubt a pit crew will follow me to every stoplight :rolleyes::p Do you by chance drive something with a 2.0 I4 and think it is fast?

What's with you idiots complaining about plastic interior? Japanese cars have them do. My bro worked at a Honda dealer. All of the interiors in civics over a few years old that customers would bring in were turning to crap. My dad commuter Cavalier is 6 years old and in factory condition. He takes care of it weekly

It's plasic, metal or leather for interiors. Metal is too heavy. You want leather? Get a $80,000 Jaguar. So that leaves plastic. Vinyl warps over time in the sun.

i digg it. i thought the world was over when back in the mid 90's all the cars and trucks started looking like bubble cartoons. cars are ment to have straight lines and hard corners. glad to see we are back on track with vehicle styling (took 20 years:( )

What's with you idiots complaining about plastic interior? Japanese cars have them do. My bro worked at a Honda dealer. All of the interiors in civics over a few years old that customers would bring in were turning to crap. My dad commuter Cavalier is 6 years old and in factory condition. He takes care of it weekly

It's plasic, metal or leather for interiors. Metal is too heavy. You want leather? Get a $80,000 Jaguar. So that leaves plastic. Vinyl warps over time in the sun.

i like my ranger's plastic/vynil interior. it fades a bit, but that's about it. i never clean it, it changes color when i do because the dust and dirt is so thick... but its still in great shape. 9 years of HOT HOT HOT sun on that dash and nothing is warped yet. they're starting to figure out how to get trim parts to last....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back