Production 2010 Camaro Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
And THIS is why we can't have nice things (Namely open access to cars and motor vehicles. )

Srsly, stop the crap. :(

How many European or Japanese cars can you buy right now with 420 horsepower stock and an MSRP of less than 29,000 dollars?

Now do you understand?

What i dont understand is the point of your post, since we were talking about power vs displacement.

Welcome to the yesterday train. I have seen those for about 3 years now. I even have some old pics that I put on my psp THE DAY AFTER I BOUGHT IT of the camaro, the mustang, and the oh so delicious challenger.

What i dont understand is the point of your post, since we were talking about power vs displacement.

American companies make big displacement engines because they're popular.

Big displacement engines are popular because, among other reasons, they're cheap power (which was the point of my post, I didn't think it was that hard to figure out) and you get buttloads of instantly available torque out of them, which makes cars fun to drive to a lot of people.

Welcome to the yesterday train. I have seen those for about 3 years now. I even have some old pics that I put on my psp THE DAY AFTER I BOUGHT IT of the camaro, the mustang, and the oh so delicious challenger.

You had pictures of the concepts, these are production cars.

There is one thing that makes me like the Camaro more than the Challenger.

The Challenger has an emergency brake PEDAL.

No... just... no. Sorry. Manual transmission and lever only. This is a simple function over fashion thing for me. They brag about it being "Classic design with modern technology." I think they forgot to upgrade a couple design cues to the 21st century that could've used it. :(

Ehh not really to my liking. Im liking the shiny blue LEDs on the interior though :D

Yes, but a Formula 1 car can barely move itself from a standstill. I doubt a pit crew will follow me to every stoplight :rolleyes::p Do you by chance drive something with a 2.0 I4 and think it is fast?

really? a formula 1 car cant move off the line?

in terms of acceleration, 0-60-mph for an F1 car will be around 2.3-2.7 seconds, 0-100mph in 3.5-4.0s. this compares with a Suzuki GSXR1000 of 0-60 in 3.5s and 0-100 in 6.3s.

General Motors!

Once again clutching EPIC FAILURE from the jaws of SUCCESS.

Yes, but a Formula 1 car can barely move itself from a standstill. I doubt a pit crew will follow me to every stoplight :rolleyes::p Do you by chance drive something with a 2.0 I4 and think it is fast?

Why is a vehicle with a 2.0 I4 instantly flagged as not fast? The Lotus Elise has a 1.8 I4 and I wouldn't consider it slow at all. The Lancer Evolution and the WRX STi are not slow either.

If all you drive are vehicles that absolutely blow these cars out of the water (i.e. Vette Z06, Shelby GT500, etc) then I stand corrected. However, there is plenty of fun to be had in the small engine segment.

Plus the Elsie is(was?) really dirt cheap for the type of car it is, heck compared to a LOT of cars it is cheap.

FJ, not TOO bad, hopefully there is a hybrid on the way to up that, I really want to see it become a match for it's older brothers since Rover has nothing left for the people who got them all over the world

Fast cars.. I love them too, though in about 10y I can see more electrics challenging (plus you can sound like whatever you want-engine sound system, already out there)

+1

What about the two turbo chargers on my 3.0L?
Any type of power adder (turbo- or super-chargers) essentially ups displacement. Just because the engine is a 3.0L, with twin turbos, you've upped that (since you're forcing more fuel and air in).

Why is a vehicle with a 2.0 I4 instantly flagged as not fast? The Lotus Elise has a 1.8 I4 and I wouldn't consider it slow at all. The Lancer Evolution and the WRX STi are not slow either.

If all you drive are vehicles that absolutely blow these cars out of the water (i.e. Vette Z06, Shelby GT500, etc) then I stand corrected. However, there is plenty of fun to be had in the small engine segment.

Had to trade it in:( Stupid car seat:mad: I'll have another.

Any type of power adder (turbo- or super-chargers) essentially ups displacement. Just because the engine is a 3.0L, with twin turbos, you've upped that (since you're forcing more fuel and air in).

no not really...

upped the power maybe, but not displacement

no not really...

upped the power maybe, but not displacement
I didn't say they up the physical displacement. They do up the net displacement though. A 3.0L with a blower can/will equal a n/a 5.0L.
This can be seen in drag racing when blown cars are put 1-2 classes higher than their n/a counterparts.

I didn't say they up the physical displacement. They do up the net displacement though. A 3.0L with a blower can/will equal a n/a 5.0L.
This can be seen in drag racing when blown cars are put 1-2 classes higher than their n/a counterparts.
I should've said effective displacement, not net.

Ehh not really to my liking. Im liking the shiny blue LEDs on the interior though :D

I hope you don't ever have to take that car out for a drive at night with all that blue light because you won't be able to see where you are going from all the glare off the dashboard lights.

I'm surprised neither the Challenger or the Camaro have any Nuremberg Ring numbers out. That seems like the hot thing for manufacturers to do right about now. Chevy really played up the Cobalt SS's impressive ring numbers.

No it doesn't.

It would help if you visited FJCruiserForums, it's a hot topic. Was an official toyota announcement too.

I'm surprised neither the Challenger or the Camaro have any Nuremberg Ring numbers out. That seems like the hot thing for manufacturers to do right about now. Chevy really played up the Cobalt SS's impressive ring numbers.

The ZR-1 tore up the Nuremberg ring.

I should've said effective displacement, not net.

Still not really correct...it effectively raises the compression ratio.

American companies make big displacement engines because they're popular.

Big displacement engines are popular because, among other reasons, they're cheap power (which was the point of my post, I didn't think it was that hard to figure out) and you get buttloads of instantly available torque out of them, which makes cars fun to drive to a lot of people.

American companies make big displacement engines because thats the only way they can get power, and lucky for them, it is cheap...cheap engineering means a cheap price.

Again, we were talking about power vs displacement, your talking about power vs price...not really anythign to do with what were talking about, which is why i dont get the point of your post. I get the concept, really not seeing any need for the comparison you made though.

Yes, it did. I'm considering a Cobalt SS myself. For the price, pretty tough to beat.
Yeah thats prob what my graduation present will be from my grandma (They got my bro the ss supercharged). Although id like a sti or evo they are to expensive and dont want a used one because they were most likely beaten on.

But with the turbo you dont get the sexy sound of the supercharger whine.

GM has some pretty good incentives going right now, it would be a good deal to snatch one up.

In the middle of building a house. Should be done in October. Maybe this Christmas, I'd like to wait for GM to pull that 0% financing business out of their hat again.

That whole era was entirely the Ford Taurus's fault. :mad:

If by fault, you mean keeping Ford a viable option in the full size sedan market then yes. :rolleyes: I've been driving Taurii since my first day behind the wheel, they are fine sedans.

Have you guys ever heard of positive displacement blowers? They truly increase the displacement (hence the name). Look up Whipple, Kenne Bell, Saleen. Yes, a 2.4L blower on a 4.9L engine (mine was worked) creates an absolute monster.

Have you guys ever heard of positive displacement blowers? They truly increase the displacement (hence the name). Look up Whipple, Kenne Bell, Saleen. Yes, a 2.4L blower on a 4.9L engine (mine was worked) creates an absolute monster.
Shhhhh they don't believe it anyway...

good, now nobody has a valid reason to buy a new Mustang (as if there was one in the first place)

Lot of bitching in here about certain aspects of the car... but am I the only one bothered by the weight? 1700kg = aproximately 3750 pounds.

What a tank.

Lot of bitching in here about certain aspects of the car... but am I the only one bothered by the weight? 1700kg = aproximately 3750 pounds.

What a tank.

Call it a tank, it has great times and you should see the MPG... beats the doors off most economy cars (30+mpg).

Call it a tank, it has great times and you should see the MPG... beats the doors off most economy cars (30+mpg).

Many Japanese economy cars now are in the 30+mpg range with American cars adding more cars to that list as well. I really don't trust how GM rates their cars in MPG ratings. I have a C6 Corvette that is rated at 28/18 (approximately). Although I can cruise on highways continuously at 70 mph at 30+ mpg, I have yet to have one tank of gas be more than 20mpg average. This is on a 3200 pound car. I really have NO idea how anyone can get 18mpg on the vette with only city driving. With the 3750 pound Camaro, the V8 one at least, it's gotta be rated worst than the 28/18 of the vette. 550 pounds is a lot of extra weight to pull. When one of my chubbier 230 pound friend rides shotgun, I definitely feel that extra weight.

Many Japanese economy cars now are in the 30+mpg range with American cars adding more cars to that list as well. I really don't trust how GM rates their cars in MPG ratings. I have a C6 Corvette that is rated at 28/18 (approximately). Although I can cruise on highways continuously at 70 mph at 30+ mpg, I have yet to have one tank of gas be more than 20mpg average. This is on a 3200 pound car. I really have NO idea how anyone can get 18mpg on the vette with only city driving. With the 3750 pound Camaro, the V8 one at least, it's gotta be rated worst than the 28/18 of the vette. 550 pounds is a lot of extra weight to pull. When one of my chubbier 230 pound friend rides shotgun, I definitely feel that extra weight.
It all depends on driving style. On my 2008 Mustang GT I get 32 MPG on the highway. Driving around the towns and such I generally get 25 MPG.
When I'm driving it more, um, spiritidly, I get much less mileage out of a tank :-p.
I can't wait for the Camaros. I don't think I'm going to jump on a 2010, though. Probably a 2011 model for me. Let them work some of the kinks out at least in the first year.

On both my Stangs, I averaged about 9-11 MPG. I don't drive them like a sissy :p Of course, all city driving and modded motors killed any semblance of gas mileage.

I really hope the Camaro does well, but I fear it will be killed by its cost just like it was before :(

MPG ratings are based on EPA standards, they can be faked by the companies but the EPA can test them on their National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory to confirm the results.

I'm curious how you don't even get 20mpg... you must drive like it's stolen. I have no trouble keeping it at the upper part of 25mpg.

As for your comment about how can the Camaro be better in MPG ratings? It's called Displacement On Demand (DOD). The new corvettes have them (08's and up) and yeild exceptional mpg rating improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back