Problems... and pictures!

Still install SP1 before you do anything else. There are hotfixes included in it that greatly improve performance and stability in SLI mode. WoW will make use of SLI if you go to its profile in the Nvidia control panel and choose "Force AFR 2" as the SLI mode for it.

Okay! Thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot about SP1, oops!

I did just run Crysis though. All settings on High, and 2x AA. It ran so smooth and perfectly! Going to install SP1 now :D By the way, if you saw the pictures.. you see what I meant when I said my wires were REALLY bad? ;) Hope they don't mess up airflow too much heh.

BTW, I think an LCD arm would work best for your setup. Though, it would be a couple hundred more, but I think it would be worth it in your situation.

Oh, and thanks for the pics. :D

Heh, yeah.. I need an easier way to set up my monitor next to my bed. I also need more room. Right now I have my printer on top of my Z-5500 subwoofer, which I don't think you are supposed to do.. But I have no room in my room anymore :p

To update some more: I got SP1 in, all Vista updates are installed, all drivers are updated and everything is running amazing now. Getting over 100FPS in WoW now. Can run Crysis on High settings with 2x AA (Haven't even tried to go higher, don't think I can). I love this computer so much :) I still can't believe it's actually working haha.

I heard that 53C is NOT a high temperature.. So why is it showing a fire icon next to it? I was doing a bunch of things at the same time, so it went about 10 degrees up. Is this bad?

speedtest.jpg

The "core" temps are what you need to look at. You can pretty safely ignore the first 3. Also, forget SpeedFan -- get the latest version of CoreTemp instead.

I heard that 53C is NOT a high temperature.. So why is it showing a fire icon next to it? I was doing a bunch of things at the same time, so it went about 10 degrees up. Is this bad?

/me wonders what Temp2 really is...

/me wonders what Temp2 really is...

Yeah.. me too! :p I mean.. it's gotta be SOMETHING in there, right? Heh.

Okay guys so after installing the patches for Crysis, I played once for a while and it worked with no problems. Then I stopped playing for a bit, and started it up again later on and a little bit into the game, right after I gain control, I get a BSOD. This time I caught the words "pfn_list_corrupt".

I also played WoW in between those two Crysis tries, and it worked the entire time I tried to play. No BSOD or anything. But so far 2 out of 4 attempts to play Crysis have either locked up the computer or BSOD.

Edit: Wow, good job Speedfan :p
coretm.jpg

Totally different temperatures.

Turn off auto restart. I don't currently have a Vista machine up, so I googled for you...

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_automatic_restart_to_read_blue_screen_messages.htm
Sometimes an error occurs on your machine and you are immediately hit by a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). The only problem is the screen flashes by so quickly you rarely get to see what may have caused the error in the first place. To the layman the information on the screen may as well be in a foreign language but, in a number of cases, to a technician the all important 'gobbledegook' can mean the difference between locating your problem or complete disaster. By disabling the automatically restart on system failure feature, you are able to read what messages appear on the blue screen and can, if necessary, pass the information on to your technical support person.

1/ Click Start button

2/ From Start menu Click Control panel

3/ In Control Panel Click the System icon

4/ In the System Window look on the Left hand side of the window and you will see a list of options. Click on the Advanced System Settings option

5/ Because Computer management requires administrative privileges you may find the the User Account Control will pop up. If it does then enter the required information (if you are not the administrator) or, if you are the administrator, click the Continue button

6/ In the Advanced Settings window look for the Startup and Recovery section and then Click the Settings button

7/ In the Startup and recovery window look for the section marked System failure and remove the 'tick' mark from the 'Automatically Restart' option. Now press OK button

8/ Finally click the OK button on the System properties Window and then close the system window.

Those stop error codes (0x*00000**) should help a lot.

Okay I disabled that.

So when a BSOD comes up again, which I'm sure it will, do I have to actually write down EVERYTHING it says? It says SO much :eek:

Uhm..:confused: I'm such a noob, so sorry ;)

just the error text on top and the stop error code on the bottom (the hex numbers at the bottom; eg 0x0000007A).

At this point I'm almost ready to tell you to send both Seagates back in...

I know :( Well, I guess there's nothing left to do but wait for another BSOD. I'm sure I could get one I guess if I play Crysis. I'm sitting here doing a lot of web surfing, communications, media stuff, and WoW on and off.. No errors when doing any of this.

I'm going to just send in the DOA drive hopefully tomorrow, get a head start on that.. in case I do have to return both of them, at least I'll already have the first one I sent off on its way to Returns.

Also... When I start up the computer, it makes the normal beep when it POSTs but right after that beep.. Is another beep that is very hard to describe. It sounds like one quick beep but its going from high to low to high pitches. I really can't explain what it sounds like.... If it's important, you think, I could probably record it? :p

Received this BSOD while trying the 3DMark06 thing. I wanted to see what it could get my system to do.. Plus maybe it will help somehow in the end to have this information, I don't know (The things they play are also pretty cool :p ). Too bad that was my second time in a row getting a BSOD while trying to run 3DMark06 (Both at different points).
Other times I get BSOD: Crysis. Random time, random place.

Here is the error I just got.. I hope I got the information I was supposed to?

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050
(0xFFFFF6CFE39D1D58, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF80001D577FD, 0x0000000000000005)

Yup...

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php
0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card). Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above.

How long did you run Memtest before? If you can, run it overnight and longer... like 24 hours. Did you run Orthos/Prime95 blend test at all? The fact that it occurs during 3DMark leads me to believe its one of your graphics cards, though. Wanna try 3DMark without SLI enabled? What are your GPU temps?

Over 7 hours, maybe 8?
Oh and uhm.. That means I can't use the computer at all for those 24 hours right? Oi!

Yup...

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

How long did you run Memtest before? If you can, run it overnight and longer... like 24 hours. Did you run Orthos/Prime95 blend test at all? The fact that it occurs during 3DMark leads me to believe its one of your graphics cards, though. Wanna try 3DMark without SLI enabled? What are your GPU temps?

I think something IS wrong with the graphic card! (At least the one). I disabled SLI, then tried running 3DMark and it ran perfectly. It also ran at the same FPS during the tests as it did in 'SLI mode'. With my SLI enabled, I first scored a 11k 3DMark score.. Eventually it got to 12,400. So now that I've disabled SLI, it's only gone down to 11,477... So... What could it be? Dead graphics card or SLI not installed properly?

You might want to remove one of your video cards and then run 3DMark and play some Crysis. Then switch the cards and run 3DMark and Crysis again with the other card installed. If you get errors with one and not the other then you'll have a strong indication of what your issue might be.

-Jade

I'm having a really hard time believing that we have a machine full of defective hardware, here. Instead I'm almost certain we've missed something that, while fairly minor, is keeping it all from 'playing nice'.

Try this: you're not OCed yet, right? But you're on aftermarket cooling. Set CPU vcore to 1.3v and run 3DMark again. It's not a ton of voltage, but it's more than the chip would usually get at stock, so it should be plenty. I think the "auto" setting may not be working properly.

Also, have you updated the motherboard's BIOS at all? I know some say "don't mess with it unless something's broken" but I don't agree. I always update... and besides, this seems to qualify as something broken anyway. It should be easy enough now that your USB key is set up to boot off of and you know how to make it. Just get the update files (the DOS ones, /not/ the windows ones, do not try to flash from within Windows, ///ever///) and move them to the USB key and read the instructions for what it will want you to type.

EDIT: Going to add a link to this post with the latest BETA BIOS and a flash utility (hosted by me so you don't have to go to MSI forums and register... probably a good idea anyway though)
EDIT2: Here it is: p7ndiamondbiosv114b.rar (that'll disappear later tonight so people don't swamp me for bandwidth -- it's not even my server. ;))

Just woke up :) Hope all of this helps!

Since I've disabled SLI, I have gotten no BSODs at all. Just ran Crysis again to see if it woud BSOD, it didn't.. Still looks really nice at High settings though heh.

I'll try to do the BIOS thing, I actually never updated it so maybe that will help. After I do that, should I enable SLI and maybe run 3DMark again to see if the score changes? Am I right in thinking that 11000 is way too low for my set up?

Also, I don't see something called exactly "CpU Vcore"? I do see CPU Voltage? Is that what you meant? Or is it something else?

It won't let me change to 1.3v? IT only goes from 0.01250 -> .38750..

I'm doing something wrong or reading it wrong?

It's probably just + to vcore -- that's how DFI boards show vcore, so that'd make sense given the range of values you have there. Set it to 0.1.

I would go ahead and update the BIOS like someone else said. Then after that I would start back at square one with testing hardware and see where it goes. I personally think it's the Memory that isn't playing nice. Possibly the board also?

I would go ahead and update the BIOS like someone else said. Then after that I would start back at square one with testing hardware and see where it goes. I personally think it's the Memory that isn't playing nice. Possibly the board also?

Don't think it's the RAM or the board or the HDD. My bet is on a BIOS issue.

SC is right, the P7N doesn't let you set the CPU voltage specifically, it lets you add additional voltage as needed over your CPU's stock voltage. It is kind of a silly system but I guess it works.

-Jade

Okay I changed the voltage and I ran 3DMark, no BSOD this time either. Since I've disabled SLI I haven't gotten one BSOD. I also scored 11518.. So it didn't really change too much either :p I'm going to do the BIOS thing now.

Okay I changed the voltage and I ran 3DMark, no BSOD this time either. Since I've disabled SLI I haven't gotten one BSOD. I also scored 11518.. So it didn't really change too much either :p I'm going to do the BIOS thing now.

Use the BIOS I linked you the page before this one -- it is newer than the one you can download from MSI's site. I got it off their forums.

You're running 3DMark at default settings, right? Probably at 1280x1024. SLI doesn't do much of anything at such a low resolution -- you're CPU limited. If you got the Pro version of 3DMark and ran it at 1920x1200 with 16xAF you'd get a similar score with SLI enabled... but not with it disabled. Not that I'm suggesting you buy 3DMark. It's pretty, but otherwise useless.

Okay I unzipped the files and put them on the USB key. Then I restarted (I'm following the directions using my old computer). It told me to type in 'dir /p'. When I do that, the list of files come up.. I see them all. But it says General Failure reading drive C
Abort, Retry or Fail?_
But it won't let me choose anything. I tried pressing keys, nothing happened?

Okay, I restarted it and tried again. After I get the list of files, it says C:\ again, and I put the V11FLASH in, and it says Bad command or file name.

The format job on your USB key seems to be bad. Use the HP utility and the files I sent you a couple days ago and re-do it, then unzip the BIOS files on to it and try again.

I swear, this is the most problematic build I've dealt with in recent memory. It is rarely if ever this bad.... to all of those now terrified noobs reading this and trembling.

Wait wait. You copied everything from the ZIP of the BIOS over, right? Maybe I just screwed up the BAT file.

Type "afud4234 A7510NMS.144" without the quotes instead and see if it works.

Use the BIOS I linked you the page before this one -- it is newer than the one you can download from MSI's site. I got it off their forums.

You're running 3DMark at default settings, right? Probably at 1280x1024. SLI doesn't do much of anything at such a low resolution -- you're CPU limited. If you got the Pro version of 3DMark and ran it at 1920x1200 with 16xAF you'd get a similar score with SLI enabled... but not with it disabled. Not that I'm suggesting you buy 3DMark. It's pretty, but otherwise useless.

SC, can you leave that bios up for a few more hours? I'd like to grab it so that I can use it for my new P7N that's going together tonight/tomorrow.

Syribo, don't get discouraged, you can do it. Just imagine how much you're learning!

-Jade

Okay I'm trying that right now. SC you are way too helpful ;)

I told you I have bad luck ;)

Should I definitely reformat the key with that program again, I just got the "General Failure..etc' message again when booting the flash drive.

Ugh I reformatted using that program.. and I still get the error after it lists all the files.

Ugh I reformatted using that program.. and I still get the error after it lists all the files.

Don't do the dir /p thing. Just type what I told you before. Same thing should be written in your text file if you can't find it in this thread.

EDIT: Just got my board! You know the tiny bag of odd little pin/socket things in it? I /think/ they let you make setting up front panel connectors a /lot/ easier.

Heh, I'm only using two of those pin things that I got, I think. The rest are in the bag still. And when my computer is busy, a light on the back I/O panel lights up instead of on the front.

HOWEVER.. This is actually convenient because the back of my PC is facing me, not the front. So I can see it all the time :)

Going to try typing the other thing in.

Nope, tried typing in that afud thing and I got the General failure error again.

It's annoying that when you get that message, I have to turn off the computer and turn it on again since it doesn't let me restart or do anything at all.. WTF is wrong :(

Back