Problems... and pictures!

Wow, this was strange. I opened up my computer case to switch in the new blue SATA wires I bought, and I was planning on removing the HSF to reapply the MX-2 thermal paste because I think I may have put too much on when I first built the computer.

I started to unscrew the mount screws around the HSF and got lazy and decided not to do it, because it was taking FOREVER to get the screws out. So I tightened them (I THOUGHT I tightened them all the way), closed up the computer and turned it on. All of a sudden my temperatures were 12C+ what they usually were! When I put on Prime 95, instead of being in the 50s the temps went up to the 80s! I totally freaked out, closed the programs and shut the computer down.

I then went back in the case and realized that the HSF screws were NOT tightened, so I screwed them in all the way. Turned the PC back on and voila, 32, 37, 28, 31 idle temps.. back to normal. Could having the HSF screws not completely tightened have caused that huge jump in temperatures?

Also, I'm running OCCT for the first time ever. My temps have gone up to 62, 63, 55, 55... the highest it's gone was to just now was 67, 67, 60, 60.

Considering that they've gone up just because I'm running OCCT, are those okay temps for the test or no?

Assuming you're running the latest version of OCCT (2.0) then yes, those temps are fine. OCCT uses the same small fft test used in Prime95. When running either program, you want to monitor temps to ensure they do not get to hot. With your setup and a Q6600 G0, you'll be in good waters up until +/- 75c.

Assuming you're running the latest version of OCCT (2.0) then yes, those temps are fine. OCCT uses the same small fft test used in Prime95. When running either program, you want to monitor temps to ensure they do not get to hot. With your setup and a Q6600 G0, you'll be in good waters up until +/- 75c.

Okay good :) I knew it was very bad when I moved my HSF before and ended up getting temps up to 81! Then I screwed the mounts in more, and the temps went all the way down. That will teach me for being lazy :p

Also, getting through the hour long test in OCCT should be a great sign? Meaning that my OC is definitely good? I've already ran Prime95 (Both small and large FFTs) for a long time, same with Orthos and also ATI Tool.

When you OC your video card, how long should you check for artifacts (In ATI Tool) for? Because yesterday I was only doing it for a minute or two. I decided to check it again last night, and after 3 minutes it spotted a tiny artifact.. so I tuned down the settings on the GTS that I had made. How long is long enough to ensure there are no artifacts and that your OC isn't too high?

For CPUs, the best order to run tests is OCCT, then Prime95. OCCT (when on auto / 1hr) will test CPU stability and RAM / NB stability (and it's pure RAM / NB stability test is the best of its kind in many people's opinion -- even topping Prime's blend test.) The reason to run OCCT first is that it's CPU stress test isn't necessarily as thorough as Prime's, but can usually detect instability quite quickly. Prime95 is best used when honing in on final stable settings -- say when you've set FSB and RAM exactly how you want them, but are tweaking for vCore. A truly stable system is one that can pass an 8-24hr Prime95 small fft test, as errors in Prime can easily occur after the first few hours of running the test. Since you obviously don't want to run an 8 hour test for every OC attempt, it's best to stick to OCCT when finding settings. Once you've passed OCCT 1hr with settings you like, then run Prime95 small fft for at least 8 hours, adjusting voltages for stability as necessary.

If you've already passed Prime95 for 8-24 hours, then you can call your CPU overclock stable. On the other hand, if the system crashes or otherwise seems unstable as you use it, you may want to run a custom OCCT test set to NB / RAM only to ensure that your NB / RAM settings are stable. Run this test for 4-8 hours if need be, and vNB (and vDIMM if headroom allows) should it fail.

I tend not to OC my videocards, so I don't really have any info on ATI Tool.

Just found out that I will be getting another check in the mail.. (Yay Workers Comp is finally doing their job!).. for $6k! So.. I'm going to be purchasing another Samsung 245T monitor for the new system, so I'll have two :)

Is having dual-monitors difficult to set up? I would imagine it's not. Do both monitors go into the same video card? I should have no problems with a dual-screen set up, yes?

Also, what exactly do I need if I want to watch TV on one of the monitors (The secondary one I guess)? I have digital cable.. Do I just need a TV tuner for my PC (Can I even fit that in there with the two video cards?) And what other wires? I may be purchasing this all very soon, so trying to get everything sorted out :) I assume the monitors play HD well, so do I need special things for HD?

I would not recommend you buy a second big monitor. SLI only allows 1 monitor, and if you're just using the second on a fairly weak card just for AIM and such, you really don't need all the area of a 24". If you decide to use it as a TV that's one thing, but you may be better served by a real LCD TV. Regardless of if you get a TV or another monitor you're going to need another digital cable box from the cable company.

I would not recommend you buy a second big monitor. SLI only allows 1 monitor, and if you're just using the second on a fairly weak card just for AIM and such, you really don't need all the area of a 24". If you decide to use it as a TV that's one thing, but you may be better served by a real LCD TV. Regardless of if you get a TV or another monitor you're going to need another digital cable box from the cable company.

Aw :( I see so many awesome setups with two big LCDs and it looks so awesome to be able to multitask by using two screens... That makes me sad.

I love this monitor so much.... But maybe I should go with the 30" Samsung Syncmaster instead if I get all this money. What other parts could I waste it on? :p I DO want to waste a bit on my computer since I'll have more than enough to put in my savings account for a long time.

Get a nice HDTV instead, and you can still use it as a monitor.

Pickup an LCD arm for your 24" (and maybe for your new TV if needed).

Maybe you could waste it on a new desk (if needed)? iunno, just throwin stuff out there, since I don't know what you need, lol.

If you get a TV Tuner, make sure its USB or PCI-E; I don't think you have any free PCI slots. You want one that does NTSC and QAM (clear). You might be able to tune the clear QAM channels from your digital cable, but most likely not. Whichever monitor/TV you get should have multiple inputs, so you could simply hook up another cable box to it. The only reason to get a TV Tuner would be if you have a UHF antenna to receive all the free over-the-air channels, and want to record anything. Otherwise, get a TiVo or some other DVR (HD) from your cable/sat company.

Ok, so in the course of trying to explain how to remove the heatpipes a plastic spring-pin broke on Syribo's board. My fault, should've explained better. (I boogered up one of mine pretty good taking my heatpipes off, so the things are obviously pretty weak)

Anyone know where you can order a pack of those things? It should be like $2 for 10 or something, but I can't find any.

Well.. I wrote an email to MSI saying that one of the spring-pins were missing.. So hopefully they will send me one ;) I don't understand what I did wrong... They were just too hard to get off. I could not get the little 'arrow' to pinch no matter what. Then when I used a bit more force it went flying across the room (Literally! It hit the wall 8 feet away!).

The pipes are still on very tight.. They won't even budge. So I'm still using the computer... just went back to 3.0Ghz.. I was at 3.2Ghz before... Wah :( I want to OC more! I don't want to wait forever to get the new pin thingy! :(

Oh, Silent, you showed me this : http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=237&products_id=21787.. But I found this : http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22453 which seems to be the same? Just with way less pieces and a lot cheaper? Can anyone else tell? I can't tell the difference.

Also.. Was doing some photo editing today and some video editing in Adobe Premiere Pro. VERY fast.. but could be faster. Is this the type of situation that having 8GB of RAM is good for? It's pretty cheap, I can afford it, and if it would help even just a bit with video edition and photo editing (I do a lot in Photoshop and in Premiere Pro, Graphic design woohoo). If so, should I go with another 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ SLI-Ready RAM kit?

They look the same. I'm not sure if thats what you need, though. Maybe silent can confirm.

I don't think 8GB would help greatly for photoshop/premier, over 4GB, but it certainly shouldn't hurt. The only thing it would hurt is your OC, since there's added stress on the MCH.

Oh, and if you do get an HDTV, as I suggested above, make sure its 1080p.

The pins only pinch one way -- there's a split down the midde, and you have to pinch in line with the split until it's pressed together, and kind of push at the same time toward the board (but be careful not to scratch up the board, as you could potentially hurt the traces) so that it starts on the way out. Then it usually requires a little bit of force (I use the handle of a screwdriver wrapped in a few paper towels) to get it the rest of the way through if that doesn't work. Make sure it's at least far enough out that the pressure from the hole is pushing the sides of the pin together before you push on it with the handle though, or you could break it.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense than my last explanation.

you two need webcams :p

a visual demonstration would help greatly, in this situation.

Here.. I used MS Paint to better show the plastic screw thing holding the heatsink to the motherboard:
ghettoscrew.jpg

It's beautiful, shut up! Haha. That explains it much better than words do.

I know... the picture was horrible, shut up :p

Well I contacted MSI and got TWO replied on my 'Tech Page'... Not sure which to follow... Don't have any of the parts? What? They MUST have them...

"MSI Tech. 04/09/2008 Dear Customer, Sorry but we do not have them as of right now you can maybe check back next week but we would suggest to have the board replaced by the reseller. Thank you,
MSI Tech. 04/09/2008 Please get in touch with our parts ordering team to place this order: [email protected] or 1-626-913-0828 x 144"

Ugh... I want to OC and stuff :'( This is making me very sad, sitting at just 3.0Ghz :p

lol, 3Ghz isn't fast enough for you? :p Just place the order with their "parts ordering team."

If they'll let you, order another whole set (unless it's crazy expensive) and then... don't use them! Heck, if they'll sell you a spare heatpipe setup complete with the spring-pins I'd do that.

Go to the hardware store, get ~10-20 fiber or rubber washers, 10-20 3/4" long #4 threaded machine screws with nuts (should come in little packages of 10-12 with nuts for like $1). Once you're sure you've got a full set of new pins in the mail, take the old ones out. If you break them, big deal, if they survive, they're spares. Yay. Just be careful not to hurt the board itself.

I got a reply back from the Parts guy... "The technician originally replied with my contact information for parts order, but after he replied he checked and found out we are out of the white rivets and that’s why he recommend you exchange your board with vendor."

I don't want to send the whole thing back in! I won't have my computer out of commission for weeks until I get the new motherboard... But how don't they have any of the little screws? What the hell?

Ask them when they expect to get some in, then. It's not like it can't wait a while. If he says "next month" I'd say go get the machine screws and just replace them all, and plan to order new ones in case you have to put them back to RMA at some point in the future.

Ask them when they expect to get some in, then. It's not like it can't wait a while. If he says "next month" I'd say go get the machine screws and just replace them all, and plan to order new ones in case you have to put them back to RMA at some point in the future.

I'm so scared to take them out again, regardless. I was really scared I was going to break something, and I wasn't even using too much force! I think the pliers I was using really sucked.

I ended up buying the second 4GB kit so I'll have 8GB of RAM now, yay :p I swear, I use a lot of it somehow... it's always being used up. Is there anything I have to change to get it working with 8GB? Or should the voltages and such be fine as they are?

Hopefully the new 8800GTS and HDD will get here tomorrow along with all the other stuff! Hope I have an easier time trying to get the new router to work compared to the Netgear one!

I went with : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215

I also hope I can setup all the fans correctly and connect them to the fan connector... That thing didn't come with such clear instructions, so I'm still confused on how to hook it up actually :p

Vista caches everything. The fact that it says your RAM is 99% used means... well, nothing, really. It'll probably use 99% of the 8GB too, unless you turn off SuperFetch.

Connect fans to the channels on the controller, connect the controller to the PSU (uses a standard molex, likely). If you don't have enough channels chain a couple of fans together on the same channel, ideally ones that are near eachother so it makes sense to change their speed at the same time. I wouldn't put more than 3 or 4 on the same channel though. Check the documentation on your controller and see how many amps are allowed on a given channel, then look on your fans and see how many amps they draw, and make sure the combined amperage of the fans on a channel isn't greater than the max per channel.

Vista caches everything. The fact that it says your RAM is 99% used means... well, nothing, really. It'll probably use 99% of the 8GB too, unless you turn off SuperFetch.

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to do that :) I never thought I'd actually have a computer that would have more than 4GB of RAM... I should stop spending money though, seriously.

Yay my new stuff is about to be delivered in an hour or two! So... I had a question about setting up RAID.

I already have one 500GB drive that I have been using since I built the computer a week or two ago. A second 500GB drive that I had RMAd will be delivered soon, and I wanted to know... After I install the new HDD and go to put both HDDs in RAID... will it have to format my first HDD? The one that I have all my programs and Vista and such on already? Or can I do it without formatting?

If you're planning on putting both hard drives into a RAID configuration, you'll have to reformat your OS drive. Check the manual to see how you need to configure your RAID setup. Chance are that, if you haven't already done so, you'll have to use a floppy drive to install the RAID drivers.

I was under the (potentially mistaken) understanding that it's possible to build a RAID0 array with an existing drive as the base without destroying data, at least in theory. Unfortunately, even if I'm right the place I remember hearing about this feature is the Nvidia RAID tools app, which is so troublesome that in most cases we recommend people don't even install it. A reformat might end up being easier.

As for needing a disk, I'm reasonably sure that the drivers are integrated in to Vista. Also, when the hell are we going to get a better method? No one uses floppies anymore, damnit! If it turns out you do need them, I'd get them from the site, extract them (may have to mount a disk image on a virtual floppy drive to do this) and copy them to your bootable USB key. It should recognize them from there just as easiy as from a floppy....

In theory, anyway.

Ugh UPS come on! :( When ever I am expecting something small to come via UPS, I swear it will get here at 9AM. But when I have a big order I'm really looking forward to, it has to take FOREVER. The UPS guy NEVER comes later than noon, and it's 2:30PM now :(

Well, the reason for this post was to ask... Do you think that I'll have to update the drivers for my graphics cards now that I will have to install the second one and do SLI and all of that? I have driver 169 point something or other because originally everyone told me to just load those drivers since they worked, and I was having graphics problems at the time. Should I go and download the 174 point whatever, newest drivers?

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to do that :) I never thought I'd actually have a computer that would have more than 4GB of RAM... I should stop spending money though, seriously.

4 gig kits for $99 really puts the hurt on the wallet... brb gotta go buy me 8 gigs of some cas 4 DDR2 800 Ballistix for $200. :cool:

I'd go ahead and up to 174.74, yeah, which is current last I checked. You'll have to use a modded INF to get them to install (they're currently officially for 9 series only) but I've had no problems with them with my GTXs in SLI.

Or, if you're feeling adventurous try these: 174.84. (download driver package, right click on modded inf, save as, extract driver package, overwrite original INF with modded inf you saved separately, run setup)

You're lucky -- we're like the last stop on the local UPS route. They usually show up around 7 PM.

I'd go ahead and up to 174.74, yeah, which is current last I checked. You'll have to use a modded INF to get them to install (they're currently officially for 9 series only) but I've had no problems with them with my GTXs in SLI.

Or, if you're feeling adventurous try these: 174.84. (download driver package, right click on modded inf, save as, extract driver package, overwrite original INF with modded inf you saved separately, run setup)

You're lucky -- we're like the last stop on the local UPS route. They usually show up around 7 PM.

Well.. It's 4:30PM and no package (Fedex came at about 11AM to drop off something else of mine though). UGH. I've never EVER gotten a package this late before. Our regular UPS driver does our town first on his route.. And we always get packages from 9:15AM-11AM and sometimes as late as Noon.

But when it's a different guy doing the deliveries.. we are usually last on the route, GOD! I'm so aggravated because I purposely woke up at 9AM so I could be up and ready to get the packages... Plus, I want to get started on installing everything before it's freaking night time (Not to mention, I have a raid to do in WoW tonight..) Ugh, I hate you UPS.

ALSO.. I paid $20 for Overnight shipping on the extra kit of RAM. But since I put the order in FOUR MINUTES late yesterday, they didn't ship it out until today.. So it won't get here until Monday. Wow. I would have just skipped the 'rush processing fee' AND the extra $17 in shipping if I had known they really wouldn't ship my order after being cleared at 12:34PM instead of 12:30PM... I'm in a bad mood right now :p I want my stuff.

Dear God, this computer is now the loudest thing EVER. Just put in the new video card and new hard drive, along with the new fans.

Okay so... how do I go about getting Vista to detect my hard drive? I'm not doing RAID for now, because I am NOT formatting yet. So how do I just get it to recognize it and let me use it exactly? It shows up when the computer turns on and POSTS.

SLI was already enabled, as soon as I turned on the PC after inserting the second card. No problems like last time. Going to try some games in a bit, once I get this router hooked up. And is it normal for my temps to be a little tiny bit higher now after putting in the second video card and second hard drive? They're up about 4-5C.. maybe a little less, it keeps changing. 39-43-35-36, just booted up.

SLI was already enabled, as soon as I turned on the PC after inserting the second card. No problems like last time. Going to try some games in a bit, once I get this router hooked up. And is it normal for my temps to be a little tiny bit higher now after putting in the second video card and second hard drive? They're up about 4-5C.. maybe a little less, it keeps changing. 39-43-35-36, just booted up.

Yes, though I'd think with all the fans it'd be more or less the same.

If it's loud you can turn the fans down, you know -- that'd be what the fan controller is for. ;)

Back