Prices of Radeon RX Vega 56/64 are about to go back up!

razor1 said:
"Well 73 rigs, I'm getting right now oh 2k a day"

$2,000/73 rigs =$27.40 per rig per day
What is the electricity cost per day?
How many gpu's are you running in each rig?

How much did you spend to setup 73 rigs?

What is they payback period at 2,000 per day, minus electricity cost, to recoup your investment of 73 rigs and $20,000 in electrical upgrades to house?

I hope you are rich as *uck and this is just a hobby for you.
Please tell us you did not cash out your 401k to set this up.
Bitcoin will crash, just a matter of when....

I do hope it works out for you

BP

3000 bucks per rig give or take 200. Had 36 AMD rx 580 rigs, which I sold at double the profit which I used to get 1070 rigs. So everything is paid off.

that is with electric costs and 90% up time, during the night some rigs go down, so 8 hours I'm not able to keep my eye on them. Electric costs are 3.5k a month on all rigs. Right now my profits dropped to 1.5k a day because of the last day drops in BTC, but the alt coins have recovered already so should hit around 2k a day by tomorrow again.

Yes I paid for everything upfront with credit cards, credit cards are all paid off ;)

You have ebes and flows in any financial market, does matter where you invest, its all about investor confidence and potential of the commodity or stock. Just because it crashes one day, ya don't sell off. You keep it till they go back up. Think about the stock market crash in the early 2000's, if people pulled out they would have lost 65% of their portfolio or more. I kept my stocks just the way they were, when the stock market recovered, my stocks recovered, and then some ended up with 20% profit, yeah its lower than if I started day trading, but I'm not one for gambling in high volatile markets.

Hi Razor1!
Wow, you really did well by using those 36 RX580 rigs to finance a lot of your 1070's.
What do you mine with the 1070's?

Congrats on your gamble paying off so far. I would very much recommend downsizing the rig count right now and take some coin/hardware profits before the volta release and "temporary" bitcoin correction.
Once Volta is out your 1070's will lose a lot of value and the second hand market is about to be flooded with cheaper GPU's during Bitcoin correction/ Volta release.

Well done though for sure

Another recommendation- buy a cheap IR scan gun from harbor freight and check for overheating breakers/busbars/wire at the meter main of house, main circuit breaker, inside main circuit breaker. Do be careful not to touch anything for shock of course. But if you are pulling $3,000 per month in electricity your house may be at risk for some electrical fires if any loose connections.

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
Hi Razor1!
Wow, you really did well by using those 36 RX580 rigs to finance a lot of your 1070's.
What do you mine with the 1070's?

Thx, I kinda lucked out there, I was really suprised when I saw full rigs going for 5-6k on ebay lol.

I'm multi mining with pool switching so all sorts of different coins, but these are the algo's I'm mining

mining 1080ti.png

Congrats on your gamble paying off so far. I would very much recommend downsizing the rig count right now and take some coin/hardware profits before the volta release and "temporary" bitcoin correction.
Once Volta is out your 1070's will lose a lot of value and the second hand market is about to be flooded with cheaper GPU's during Bitcoin correction/ Volta release.

Well done though for sure

I think they will still be profitable, still getting 6 bucks a card easy right now. So even if they drop to 3 bucks a card, still a good deal of money, by then I'll being doing this outside so should be enough per year to pay the rent and electricity costs of the new rigs :), hopefully, if not yeah I'll sell em off for like 150 or 200 bucks a pop.

Another recommendation- buy a cheap IR scan gun from harbor freight and check for overheating breakers/busbars/wire at the meter main of house, main circuit breaker, inside main circuit breaker. Do be careful not to touch anything for shock of course. But if you are pulling $3,000 per month in electricity your house may be at risk for some electrical fires if any loose connections.

Good idea, will do this weekend!

Thx, I kinda lucked out there, I was really suprised when I saw full rigs going for 5-6k on ebay lol.

I'm multi mining with pool switching so all sorts of different coins, but these are the algo's I'm mining

View attachment 47389

I think they will still be profitable, still getting 6 bucks a card easy right now. So even if they drop to 3 bucks a card, still a good deal of money, by then I'll being doing this outside so should be enough per year to pay the rent and electricity costs of the new rigs :), hopefully, if not yeah I'll sell em off for like 150 or 200 bucks a pop.

Good idea, will do this weekend!
I be tempted to pick up one of the higher end IR guns with the seriousness investment you have! Regardless it IS a good idea.

I was checking up on Vega, from what I can tell, at this moment, you can't find a single Vega card in stock anywhere near MSRP in the U.S. I was gonna write a sentence deploring AMD's lack of a high-end, but taking solace in the mid-range being in stock, but checking Newegg and Amazon, it seems that every RX 580 8 GB model is out of stock as well. Third-party sellers have jacked up their prices as well. I'm sure its nothing abnormal, but its kinda disappointing they all sold out. I remember (hopefully correctly) that they were in plentiful stock during Black Friday, seems strange that they sold out now. GTX 1060s have a few sold out models, but not like the 580 8 GB.

I got an RX 580 8GB recently, paid $300, which is well above MSRP, but still nice it was even in stock at all.

I got an RX 580 8GB recently, paid $300, which is well above MSRP, but still nice it was even in stock at all.
Depending on the exact model you got...300 is not out of the question. I got mine for about 269 at BB a week or so before the prices sky rocketed. Those tripple fan coolers from asus and and others are worth a bit more in my book.;)

Holy crap razor, well played! I have a new 2040sq ft house with 15 amp breakers. Plus i have 3 kids and about twenty neighbor children over all the time. Needless to say, I cannot do open air rigs. I am having a hell of a time having two rigs on the same breaker and their power draw is only 520w at the wall mining crpytonight with cpu and algo switching on the 1080s at 80% power target.

I have 8 geforce 1080s spread through the house and an electric chevy volt. electric bill is typically $265 a month and making $35-40 a day. I am very jealous. I usually quit in the summers because my rates skyrocket june- sept

Holy crap razor, well played! I have a new 2040sq ft house with 15 amp breakers. Plus i have 3 kids and about twenty neighbor children over all the time. Needless to say, I cannot do open air rigs. I am having a hell of a time having two rigs on the same breaker and their power draw is only 520w at the wall mining crpytonight with cpu and algo switching on the 1080s at 80% power target.

I have 8 geforce 1080s spread through the house and an electric chevy volt. electric bill is typically $265 a month and making $35-40 a day. I am very jealous. I usually quit in the summers because my rates skyrocket june- sept

Ah yeah its hard to do these things in a house, I have both my guest rooms full of rigs, my gathering room, bar area and basement. Basement has most of the rigs, 50 but now it is like the outside ambient temp, which kinda suxs if it gets to 90 F. During the summer it used to stay around 20 degrees under the outdoor temp when I didn't have the rigs. The cool thing about it being there, its right under my garage, which is heated in the winter, but with them on, I don't need to heat the garage anymore. Summer time, I have 4 ventilation windows open with fans to push the air out, , but I don't go in there much so its fine. I was going to build a large shed to put the rigs in, but the price contractors quoted was just too high cause the power lines have to go under my concrete driveway to get to the back of the house or go all the way around, which everything here is rocky after 6 inches of soil, they would have had to break up 2 15x15 foot blocks of concrete which increased to the cost to too much.

I am in a starter house, our next home will be bought based on mining 1st and school district 2nd :) though, the market is just ridiculous right now. Our home brand new was 154k built at close. I cant find anything under 225k id even consider right now either.

Maybe ill setup the rest of my miners at the parents house

I am in a starter house, our next home will be bought based on mining 1st and school district 2nd :) though, the market is just ridiculous right now. Our home brand new was 154k built at close. I cant find anything under 225k id even consider right now either.

Maybe ill setup the rest of my miners at the parents house
Im an Electrician and you guys make me wonder...I think ill wire my own first house around mining needs lol:) Ill tie the hole thing into my own solar array to offset the power usage!

I think our power in Ontario might be too expensive, but I do have 100amps in an empty panel in my basement.... Used to be an electric boiler. That could run alot of mining gear.

Video card market is going to remain messed up like this until mining takes a big dive.

It won't take a dive, its here to stay they will become like stocks just better, don't need to buy them to have em.

Digitimes has teaser headline tonight about a price rise coming for mainstream video cards. Hard to link to as it's just in the ticker new story before press.

It's not so much messed up as just supply and demand. GPU's are general computing devices now, and no longer just devices to kill time playing videogames with.
I actually be glad when this happens more and more often....kinda like how certain apps put them to use with opencl....May as well putt those transistors to work

Digitimes has teaser headline tonight about a price rise coming for mainstream video cards. Hard to link to as it's just in the ticker new story before press.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180103PD211.html

Graphics card vendors are expected to raise their prices for mid-tier to high-end models by US$5-20 in the near future to reflect increasing product costs caused by the tight supply of memory devices and GPUs.

Since demand for graphics cards from the cryptocurrency mining segment has not waned as quickly as expected, GPU supply remains tight in the first quarter of 2018.

Graphics card vendors including Asustek Computer, Gigabyte Technology and Micro-Star International (MSI) benefited from the cryptocurrency mining demand and their shipments dropped only mildly in the fourth quarter of 2017.

Meanwhile, graphics card upgrade demand has been picking up in the gaming sector thanks to the recent release of the blockbuster game PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. Demand has been especially strong from China due to the game's strong popularity.

Some graphics card vendors believe the price hike will only have limited impact on demand from the cryptocurrency mining sector, but could undermine graphics card sales in the gaming sector.

The graphics card vendors expect their shipments to fall sequentially in the first quarter of 2018, but their profits and gross margins from the product line will both improve from those seen in the same quarter a year ago because of the price increases.

On Newegg, there is only one model of 580 being sold without a combo, for $350, 8 GB. Not a single 4 or 8 GB model for individual sale aside from this. 570, one model for individual sale.
Amazon, none listed for either 580 or 570.
For the 1060, I think I'm seeing price increases as well.

Last edited:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180103PD211.html

On Newegg, there is only one model of 580 being sold without a combo, for $350, 8 GB. Not a single 4 or 8 GB model for individual sale aside from this. 570, one model for individual sale.
Amazon, none listed for either 580 or 570.
For the 1060, I think I'm seeing price increases as well.
I took my kid to Bestbuy and saw the pretty much the exact same card i bought a few months ago priced at 500 bucks lol....People dont really pay that do they? lol...I feel like a got a steal at 269

I took my kid to Bestbuy and saw the pretty much the exact same card i bought a few months ago priced at 500 bucks lol....People dont really pay that do they? lol...I feel like a got a steal at 269

I bought my RX470 for $150 from Bestbuy over a year ago. Was even able to flash the 570 bios. It's gaming during the evenings and mining the rest of the time; it's already paid for itself from mining XMR. Now that was a steal.

I bought my RX470 for $150 from Bestbuy over a year ago. Was even able to flash the 570 bios. It's gaming during the evenings and mining the rest of the time; it's already paid for itself from mining XMR. Now that was a steal.
I also had a steal. Bought 2 RX 480s for Crossfire (while I waiting for Vega) for $220 each. Used them for gaming for 6 months solid. Then sold the lot of them for $560 on ebay. Meaning I basically got paid $120 to use the cards for 6 months. Life is good.

Video card market is going to remain messed up like this until mining takes a big dive.
Hate to tell you this, it went up from 250B earlier this year to 7XXB. Not only is it here to stay it’s about to break 1T.... Even if you don’t mine, there are opportunities in this bullish/gold rush market. Coins like ADA, XRP, XLM have provided an 8x+ return (more when buying and selling during dips). I’ve taking an initial buy in of 750 (July) and hit 2 BTC a few days ago.

Now he market swings suck, but they rebound daily or go up even more. Or when you guess wrong on a dip, sold 350K Sia at 80 sats to rebuy when it dropped to 50-60 (as it has been doin for months). Instead it shot up to 610 Sats... heheh....

Last edited:
Well looks like the Crypto market is about to hit mainstream, so still way huger gains are potentially going to happen before the big big crash which then the real winners will stand. Most folks don't even know about it but that may change rapidly in the next couple of years.

Well looks like the Crypto market is about to hit mainstream, so still way huger gains are potentially going to happen before the big big crash which then the real winners will stand. Most folks don't even know about it but that may change rapidly in the next couple of years.

it really won't go mainstream, most people don't know computers well enough to do it. Yeah anyone can buy a card, but how many people are comfortable overclocking them, and changing voltages, if they don't know what they are doing, bye bye card, worse yet bye bye card and power supply.

Also using miners other than nicehash, takes some expertise in basic DOS commands and power shell, and the young people that started using computers after Windows 3.1 came out, aren't going to be able to that too well either. Pretty sad state of affairs when Apple screwed over the potential learning curve of DOS LOL.

Well market wise it will go mainstream, but investors rely on the miners, like stocks, investors there rely on the corporations, but power to the masses, the only way a coin can f up is

a) it gets hacked, which is a rarity now, I don't see a block chain getting hacked easily, unless its a group of people doing it and this doesn't last too long as it can be traced

b) an exchange gets hacked, this will also become harder to do too once major financial institutions get involved, security is going to be much tougher to hack those guys vs the exchanges we have now, not only that they will have backing of Gov's too.

Last edited:
it really won't go mainstream, most people don't know computers well enough to do it. Yeah anyone can buy a card, but how many people are comfortable overclocking them, and changing voltages, if they don't know what they are doing, bye bye card, worse yet bye bye card and power supply.

Also using miners other than nicehash, takes some expertise in basic DOS commands and power shell, and the young people that started using computers after Windows 3.1 came out, aren't going to be able to that too well either. Pretty sad state of affairs when Apple screwed over the potential learning curve of DOS LOL.
Maybe the PC mining part can be daunting for some even though NiceHash pretty much takes the sharp edges off, the mobile mining craze is going to hit in the near future where the young may find there new territory. When you see the skyrocketing growth at an exponential growth rate -> it will most likely will break into the mainstream, coins like Electroneum with a large enough supply potential (still too small for a mainstream coin), easy mobile access (yet to be seen), mobile mining (ETN mobile mining is fake mining) and integration into mobile and PC game world (mostly mobile) -> I see it coming mainstream if the developers can overcome the obstacles of large scale blockchain coins.

Maybe the PC mining part can be daunting for some even though NiceHash pretty much takes the sharp edges off, the mobile mining craze is going to hit in the near future where the young may find there new territory. When you see the skyrocketing growth at an exponential growth rate -> it will most likely will break into the mainstream, coins like Electroneum with a large enough supply potential (still too small for a mainstream coin), easy mobile access (yet to be seen), mobile mining (ETN mobile mining is fake mining) and integration into mobile and PC game world (mostly mobile) -> I see it coming mainstream if the developers can overcome the obstacles of large scale blockchain coins.

Its really hard to overcome the blockchain scale man, think about the reasons why blockchains are so large. They account for ever coin being made, every coin changing had, checks and rechecks.

Lets take Visa for example, what is it like hundreds of millions of transactions per day. They only have two checks per transaction because of it being centralized, a block chain because of decentralization, for that one transaction has like 8 or 10 checks......

So as a coin gets more popularity and is used for transactions instead of cash, its block chain is going to grow at fast rate. I'm pretty sure this is why ETN's mobile mining came to a halt lol.

Frankly I see these much higher prices affecting the PC gaming industry in that it is limiting the available cards to game players. If this keeps up it could collapse the PC gaming industry. Since there are supply constraints or limitations on all the parts needed to make graphics cards, it is not like a manufacturer can just make 3x times more cards on a whim.

Its really hard to overcome the blockchain scale man, think about the reasons why blockchains are so large. They account for ever coin being made, every coin changing had, checks and rechecks.

Lets take Visa for example, what is it like hundreds of millions of transactions per day. They only have two checks per transaction because of it being centralized, a block chain because of decentralization, for that one transaction has like 8 or 10 checks......

So as a coin gets more popularity and is used for transactions instead of cash, its block chain is going to grow at fast rate. I'm pretty sure this is why ETN's mobile mining came to a halt lol.
There are ways around the time constraints such as Bitcoin Lightening Network besides faster block times and semi centralized transactions like using Paypal, depositing coins and then having fast access (maybe even auto exchange) when you buy from a merchant who accepts Paypal. The infrastructure is not there yet but it can be done.

Frankly I see these much higher prices affecting the PC gaming industry in that it is limiting the available cards to game players. If this keeps up it could collapse the PC gaming industry. Since there are supply constraints or limitations on all the parts needed to make graphics cards, it is not like a manufacturer can just make 3x times more cards on a whim.

Didn't AMD get slapped after increasing supply and the market flooded with cheap, used cards? I doubt either vendor wants that to occur again. Still, looking at these shortages of AMD cards, I can't help but wonder at AMD's gaming marketshare. (Assuming they weren't going to gamers, or weren't in stock originally)

There are ways around the time constraints such as Bitcoin Lightening Network besides faster block times and semi centralized transactions like using Paypal, depositing coins and then having fast access (maybe even auto exchange) when you buy from a merchant who accepts Paypal. The infrastructure is not there yet but it can be done.

Still need those checks and balances, with them the block chain falls apart ;)

Back