Prices of Radeon RX Vega 56/64 are about to go back up!

Funny thing, Newegg was selling on its ebay store the Vega 64 at MSRP, all 284 cards were sold out within 3 hours. About 100 of the cards were snatched in qualities of 3 sold, so I think those are resellers buying them, but Im still wondering whos buying these over a Nvidia card.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Funny thing, Newegg was selling on its ebay store the Vega 64 at MSRP, all 284 cards were sold out within 3 hours. About 100 of the cards were snatched in qualities of 3 sold, so I think those are resellers buying them, but Im still wondering whos buying these over a Nvidia card.

mining has exploded, right now making close to 3 bucks a card, some hours even 4 bucks.....

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
mining has exploded, right now making close to 3 bucks a card, some hours even 4 bucks.....

oh what happened in the mining scene? Last I heard everything was dying down and GPU prices were going back to normal (I guess, not sure what normal really is anymore). I know bitcoin is on a tear, but what else happened? Wasnt eth supposed to have reached peak profitability? Also why is Vega selling instead of the 580s for mining?

oh what happened in the mining scene? Last I heard everything was dying down and GPU prices were going back to normal (I guess, not sure what normal really is anymore). I know bitcoin is on a tear, but what else happened? Wasnt eth supposed to have reached peak profitability? Also why is Vega selling instead of the 580s for mining?

Good point, not sure what is going on then.

Eth is peaking, its at 475 bucks now 30% increase in the last week, so that should push 580 sales more, but it doesn't look like it did too much there, cause the 1070's still blow it out of the water for efficiency.

It's starting to look like a bubble.... I wanted to buy a 1080ti for my main rig today and the prices are going back up. They get around $5/card/day through nicehash.

Vega 64 is $599 and in stock on Newegg.

NiceHash

2x 1070's $5.09/day
1x Nano $2.28
1x Vega 64 LC $3.03 (disappointing now, not using the crypto drivers)
1x Radeon 290 $1.38 (use to be higher, around $1.90)
1x Ryzen 1700x @ 3.4ghz $1.03

Getting close in getting the other 1700x rig and 1080 Ti up and running

NiceHash

2x 1070's $5.09/day
1x Nano $2.28

this is where I am currently at, surprised your vega is pulling less than mine.

Last edited:
I see, I assuming due to higher fees? Sorry, don't really mine due to higher electric cost where I live.

No, it's because you could be mining Cryptonight with cast xmr or xmr stak and the blockchain drivers and gross about $5-6/day per Vega card.

Mining scene is exploding, Used to only average about $11-$12 per day with my mining setup and earn about 70 per week but the past month I've been getting $120 per week since I'm getting $18-22 per day.

NiceHash

2x 1070's $5.09/day
1x Nano $2.28

I've got a rig with 5x 1080 ti, $22 per day. $4.04 per day per card.

Now this morning the Vega 64 LC is pulling consistently in the $3.80 range. Later I bet it will go back down, I think it is mostly Nicehash switching around what is being mined. I just see a lot of variation with the Vega 64, much more so than the other cards. Since a gaming rig I am not too interested in using the blockchain drivers at this time for it. It mostly mines when not doing other stuff.

On the Ryzen, it looks to be using 6 cores 12 threads and not all 8 cores ~65% (I would have swore it was pushing 92%+ several weeks back cpu usage). May have to configure it for all eight cores. NiceHash calculator has a 4ghz 8 Core Ryzen at $1.84, Vega 64 at $3.92 and a 1080 Ti at $3.74. I am close now with the Vega 64 but it has never been consistent. Ryzen is performing below expectations meaning I need to see what is going on, now I would not run it at 4ghz if it would due to how much more power it would take for very little benefit. Interesting would be a Treadripper 1950x rate? It would probably be $3.50+ by itself with a hell a lot of pcie lanes for GPUs.

I wished now I picked up that Gigabyte Vega 56 for $389 at Newegg, it would have been in use 24/7 (in the cooler winter months ~4 months) in the living room.

AMD is now phasing out reference Radeon RX Vega 56/64 in favor of AIB models.

This is something that AMD has always done. Stop producing Reference cards when the AIBs start producing their own models. Normally custom cards are available soon after the launch of the reference cards, but, it has taken longer than normal for Vega custom cards to appear.

Miners are buying up Vega cards due to their (very) strong cryptonote algorithm performance.

Even my 580s are strong on that algo.

TOdo: Build out a Vega rig and see what all that hype is about.

I extremely regret not buying some vega 64s when they were $529 ish. Dont have the stomach to do it at $699 even for the 16gb frontier

Most people dont want a reference board once the AIB partners release their boards. I had a reference 290X and I hated the cooler on it so much it was the first card that I water cooled, my second one was non reference XFX card and I left it air cooled.

Most people dont want a reference board once the AIB partners release their boards. I had a reference 290X and I hated the cooler on it so much it was the first card that I water cooled, my second one was non reference XFX card and I left it air cooled.
this.

PowerColor Radeon RX Vega 64 now available for pre-order!

LOL. The price gave me a sticker shock!

Don't faint, okay?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131734

That price is right inline with what they charge for the Red Devil products, I took a look at their other products as well. It does not tell us if it is one of the Golden labeled products or not though.

Edit: The price would give me sticker shock if I did not become aware of what they charge for their other products as well. This essentially would need to be matched up to the top end fully air cooled 1080.

Hmm if the price is $620, that is anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks more than overclocked gtx 1080.......

This is something that AMD has always done. Stop producing Reference cards when the AIBs start producing their own models. Normally custom cards are available soon after the launch of the reference cards, but, it has taken longer than normal for Vega custom cards to appear.

I have never remembered them phasing them out.....

having said that, not sure if they will do it here either.

They definitely did with the 290 series. They were available for a few months then never again. And based on the guys buying them then and their response was that AMD generally did it this way.

So did this ever happen? I'm still selling my Vegas for 1080 and 1070 prices respectively.

They always do. You probably never noticed before because custom cards would normally be available shortly after launch or within a few weeks and most people buy custom cards. Because AIB Vega cards are so late, there is a disconnect between the phasing out of reference cards and the arrival of the custom cards.

They definitely did with the 290 series. They were available for a few months then never again. And based on the guys buying them then and their response was that AMD generally did it this way.
They always do. You probably never noticed before because custom cards would normally be available shortly after launch or within a few weeks and most people buy custom cards. Because AIB Vega cards are so late, there is a disconnect between the phasing out of reference cards and the arrival of the custom cards.

Good point they might be doing things like that now haven't been paying attention to reference vs aftermarket cards much from AMD recently, I try to get reference cards as much as possible though.

Actually I would be more interested in the reference Vega 56, blower style cooler for one of my rigs. I am liking more how Nvidia is doing things as in having readily available reference cards at MSRP prices! Which helps keep everyone else in line. I am tempted in getting a 1070 Ti since Vega 56 are just plain ridiculous in price now except Volta really is just around the corner and seems maybe better just to wait.

Back