Prey (2017)

I like the look of the interior design stuff it's good looking and has shadows to it.

Cliched but: As good as his screenshots are, it really does look even better "in person" for real.

I think this is a very good looking game and runs great to boot.

CryEngine hasn't let me down on any game I've played that has it yet. It's a winner.

Did you like the game Warface LOL

I think that game is Great I spent lots of time despite the reviews it's still a fun game.

Did you like the game Warface LOL

I think that game is Great I spent lots of time despite the reviews it's still a fun game.

I missed that but remember the second Homefront game? Supposed to be a POS?

I got it with the season pass for $35 or some such and I enjoyed the heck out of it for what it is.

Some of the game mechanics with the "hack grendades" and such were clever. The game was fun and I thought somewhat overly slagged on and underrated.

Even Turtle Rocks Evolve was good but short lived if they did a Left for Dead 3 that would be awesome in Cry engine.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
It really demonstrates that solid art design / direction is what really makes a game look decent. Technical effects and overall texture quality are nice to have, but they can't fix poor design.

Luckily while the game uses quite low-res textures it isn't a big deal as it fits the general design of the game.

Subbing to this thread

Reminder to keep the spoilers to a minimum because I will be following for impressions but do not have the game yet :)

I'm loving this game so far. There are some minor quibbles, like having to manually edit the cfg file to adjust the FOV, not having the medkit be able to be hotkeyed, not being able to click on some buttons on the menu etc...

Overall though it feels a lot like a modern Bioshock, never played System Shock 2 so I can't compare to that. The levels are large with lots of hidden content and alternative paths. The fabricator is also a nice idea, it's a different spin on picking up a bunch of junk and selling it all to the vendor to buy what you need.

like this
Does GSync just not work in this game? Screen tearing and stuttering galore. :(

Does GSync just not work in this game? Screen tearing and stuttering galore. :(

http://www.crashfix.online/how-to-f...rformance-issues-lagging-stuck-loading-d3d11/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1327844097114441647/?ctp=14

Skim last page. Some people are getting G-sync to work apparently. 381.89 drivers.

Several of these PC gaming outlets giving thumbs up...the guys are saying they have G-sync displays and haven't made a specific complaint... yet.

^I had a host of other problems with other games with 381.89. I guess I'll just wait for a patch or yet another driver.

like this
That's the one with bad stuttering and tearing. I reverted to 381.89 just to see how it performed, and it did fix it, but that particular driver has a problem with Nvidia Shield TV streaming. So I'm boned either way.

Feels like the game runs at 1080..Framerates are amazing at 1440. Average over 100 with my rig. Seems like a good candidate to dsr 4k.

Just made it to my office. Still not exactly sure wtf is going on. Nor if I am spending my mods right.

Pipe wrench and a shotgun.... lol. Weapons any true pc gamer loves.

Yea- the mimics alone are making the game so far. Well that and the atmosphere. Well, that and the level design. Well...

Spanish Inquisition!

Just trying dsr from 1440 to 4k. Cuts my framerate in half (120 to 65) but still running damn good. All detail at max. (5820k @ 4.4 980ti @ 1450)

Also, using the zoom button (z) can be used to mark enemy's....very helpful.

Just trying dsr from 1440 to 4k. Cuts my framerate in half (120 to 65) but still running damn good. All detail at max. (5820k @ 4.4 980ti @ 1450)

Also, using the zoom button (z) can be used to mark enemy's....very helpful.
There is no way you are maintaining or even averaging 65 fps at 4k on max with a 980 ti. Reviews show even a 1080 ti only gets around 80 fps and drops into mid 60s here and there.

Heck here they only averaged 43 fps at 4k with the 980 ti. https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Prey/images/2160.png

Last edited:
There is no way you are maintaining or even averaging 65 fps at 4k on max with a 980 ti. Reviews show even a 1080 ti only gets around 80 fps and drops into mid 60s here and there.

Heck here they only averaged 43 fps at 4k with the 980 ti. https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Prey/images/2160.png

Biggest dip I have seen so far is 50fps. Highest i've seen is 65. Running around gameplay seems to stick around 55-60 fps. Using the newest game ready driver.

Biggest dip I have seen so far is 50fps. Highest i've seen is 65. Running around gameplay seems to stick around 55-60 fps. Using the newest game ready driver.
That sure is a very small range and nothing like any video I have seen. I certainly do not see anyone else typically sticking to just a 5 fps variance on average. For example I get anywhere from 110 fps all the way down to mid 60s at times and that lines up with what I have seen in youtube videos.

Good example right here as he is anywhere from around 105 fps to around 70 fps on the 1080 Ti.

*shrug*

I am 100% positive I am DSR from 1440 to 4k.

Running at 1440 and all setting maxed I never saw below 100 fps. Average around 120.

Also remember I am only a few hours in and still on the first station area which has alot of closed in areas.

So either my game is horribly bugged in a good way, i'm totally full of shit, or someone else out there is doing it wrong.

After adjusting my playstyle I am enjoying it much more. Refreshing to see a game with such fantastic design, world building, sound design and story!!

like this
Also, a 980 Ti at 1400+ is near 1080 performance.
Depends on what you mean by "near". A reference 980 ti already runs at real world clocks of nearly 1150 so 1400 would have it still quite a bit under the reference 1080. And in this game the reference 1080 is about 45% faster than the reference 980 ti so running at 1400 would split the difference at best.

I'm loving this game so far. There are some minor quibbles, like having to manually edit the cfg file to adjust the FOV, not having the medkit be able to be hotkeyed, not being able to click on some buttons on the menu etc...

Overall though it feels a lot like a modern Bioshock, never played System Shock 2 so I can't compare to that. The levels are large with lots of hidden content and alternative paths. The fabricator is also a nice idea, it's a different spin on picking up a bunch of junk and selling it all to the vendor to buy what you need.

Flawless Wide Screen has an FOV fix up.

Going out into space... sweet.

Minor nit: Unless I'm seeing it otherwise... when you run across corpses of crew members as you go about your business... I wish it was automatically credited to you per the "finding missing crew members" side task. I don't mind deliberately initating it at the security consoles but I've had several times where I know I already found one and looted it.

No biggie.

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by "near". A reference 980 ti already runs at real world clocks of nearly 1150 so 1400 would have it still quite a bit under the reference 1080. And in this game the reference 1080 is about 45% faster than the reference 980 ti so running at 1400 would split the difference at best.

1450 is about 30% higher than the 1150, not exactly a huge step below the 45% the 1080 represents.

I might have a bugged quest:

Through the Looking Glass. Calvino. You go out into deep space, loot his corpse, get the keycard (or you're supposed to) and use it to get into his workshop.

Didn't happen. I looted him and he's clean and the objectives still say I need to find the card.

I'll try and go to an earlier save and see if that works.

I might have a bugged quest:

Through the Looking Glass. Calvino. You go out into deep space, loot his corpse, get the keycard (or you're supposed to) and use it to get into his workshop.

Didn't happen. I looted him and he's clean and the objectives still say I need to find the card.

I'll try and go to an earlier save and see if that works.

YES! I am stuck at the same spot and can't get past.....

like this
YES! I am stuck at the same spot and can't get past.....

I bet it's from doing something "out of order." I try to do optionals when I can. I flew out into space, took it in, flew to his body, looted him, it acted like the objective was complete and yet somehow it isn't according to the objective menu and the prompts. I went back to his lab and it's acting like I don't have the keycard. I'm stumped. Bummed.

I bet it's from doing something "out of order." I try to do optionals when I can. I flew out into space, took it in, flew to his body, looted him, it acted like the objective was complete and yet somehow it isn't according to the objective menu and the prompts. I went back to his lab and it's acting like I don't have the keycard. I'm stumped. Bummed.

Same problem here...

Last edited:
the card isnt on his body it's floating next to his body

I'll look closer. I had thought about that... missed it with some of the other things there. I must have flown by it.

I will definitely check that very thoroughly next time I fire the game up.

I'll look closer. I had thought about that... missed it with some of the other things there. I must have flown by it.

I will definitely check that very thoroughly next time I fire the game up.

Yeah it was a little hard to see with all the floating debris in that room

For those pretty far into the game, what neuromod skills have you found the most useful?

I've kinda been stockpiling neuromods because I'm not sure what direction I want to go in. Leaning toward a focus on guns and standard combat, but I'm not sure now that some of the Typhon skills are available. Has anyone had any success with a stealth build?

Back