Prey (2017)

Open world game vs corridor shooter game. Let's think why it might run better :O

Dishonored 2 wasn't exactly open-world in the sense of something like Skyrim. Sure you can move pretty seamlessly around, but it's still sections. Not to mention in city-type environments there are lots of tricks you can use to cull things. Given the other games that have run on both engines, neither type of game should be terribly difficult. I actually think Dishonored 2 runs great considering it's a rewritten id engine. id games come out flawlessly on their engines, but when people start heavily modifying them, it seems like there's a learning curve, and the games don't always come out perfect on release. (look at The Evil Within for another recent example, that now (after a bit more work) runs beautifully)

Anyway, I think the game looks pretty good, and does everything it needs to do graphically to get the point across in the chosen aesthetic. There might be other games with cooler graphical features here and there, but from what I've seen so far, there's nothing to complain about really with Prey.

Dark Messiah didn't look absolute state of the art either when it was released. However, it looked good, ran smoothly, had amazingly good melee combat, and some pretty cool locations and environments.

Same thing with Dishonored. Beautiful game, but hardly demanding on hardware, and hardly state of the art in graphical features. It's an amazing game though, and actually due to the style, still looks good now.

There are other game studios that push the graphical boundaries. Some that push game play, some that push audio, world building, etc. etc. They don't all need to do it all, all of the time. Don't get me wrong. When a game does manage to pull that all off for a given era, yes, of course that's remarkable.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get any stuttering with the "game ready" driver then go back to the previous driver...

worked fine on my system, I haven't updated to the latest nvidia drivers yet, I'm still on 381.89. I picked the female character and this game is awesome.

Prey 2 05.05.2017 - 02.51.38.02.png Prey 2 05.05.2017 - 03.07.00.10.png Prey 2 05.05.2017 - 03.29.52.12.png Prey 2 05.05.2017 - 04.11.25.16.png Prey 2 05.05.2017 - 04.32.34.19.png

This is a first person game, right?

Does it have the anti-gravity elements of the original Prey?

I'm very interested in playing this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This is a first person game, right?

Yes.

Does it have the anti-gravity elements of the original Prey?

Apparently there are times in Zero gravity I've heard about but don't need anything past that.

I'm very interested in playing this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

No hate and FUD in here so far is an early good indicator. I think this is going to be a winner. ;)

I just saw Forbes Tech is already saying no glaring PC port issues or glaring performance issues. I expect to see and hear more along those lines as things unfold.

I think Arkane is going to bring us yet another winner just like Dishonored 2 from last year. They make great games.

I'll try this game during the weekend reviews look positive on Steam which is rare for any Steam game.

maybe I am just a wuss but damn.. felt pretty scared a few times in the first hour. I have seen some people compare it to bioshock and I would agree except that this game seems to have a heavier focus on scaring the shit out of my ass and into my pants.

I was getting ready to play this AM but got a high priority at work I needed to drive to. BAH!

Me too! I got it loaded last night, but couldn't play. Then this morning I wanted to at least try it out. I only got as far as updating my drivers though before I had to leave for work. I suppose late tonight it is.

Me too! I got it loaded last night, but couldn't play. Then this morning I wanted to at least try it out. I only got as far as updating my drivers though before I had to leave for work. I suppose late tonight it is.
Late for me too. I can only play when my boy goes to bed and when the fiance watches her shows. It's Friday, though. I'll be up for awhile playing! :D

I'm impressed with this so far in the early goings.

Broadly speaking I'm going to get my Bioshock meets Dishonored love child in space with the broad winks to Half Life and System Shock. A little Alien Isolation nod even in terms of how some of the tension with the enemies occurs.

Am I saying this game is as good as any of those? Way too early to tell but this is definitely a "good to very good game" at minimum I'm seeing here. No bugs. No performance issues. No complaints.

I'm glad to see the PC performance is up to snuff...cross one item off the list...but I am curious about the story and level design...I heard too many hyperbole's about it being the best game in the last 20 years and comparisons to classics like System Shock 2 or Half Life...seems a bit far fetched to me (I want it to be as good as those games)...graphics don't look all that great for a CryEngine game either...normally CryEngine delivers in spades when it comes to visuals (my favorite game engine)...waiting for full reviews where they delve more into the story and gameplay

Last edited:
interesting 'first impressions' article from playing the first 4-5 hours...

"This is my biggest problem with Prey. It seems to borrow heavily, both conceptually and mechanically, from a variety of other games, but strips out much of what made those games interesting. I don’t think Prey does anything particularly bad, but so far its biggest sin might be being a bit dull. Its main strength is probably level design, but the action, stealth and puzzle components all seem lacking for different reasons"...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...at-kind-of-game-is-this-exactly/#6e75e2cc3116

I tend to take Forbes articles on gaming with a spoonful of salt, but I still will probably wait for a sale for this one.

Forbes is not my go-to gaming site but they actually have some well written, detailed gaming reviews...the Prey impressions piece was very well written...as long as an article is fair and doesn't have an agenda then I'm fine with it no matter the source...some people only read reviews that match their preconceived opinions and that is never the way to go

The games that it's borrowing design elements from mixed themes, puzzles, combat, stealth in a "lite" sort of way too. System Shock wasn't a puzzle game. It wasn't a stealth game. It wasn't a pure shooter. It wasn't a pure RPG. It was a healthy mix of all of these, and that's actually part of what made it great. I think the games that this draws its inspiration from should be considered here.

That's not to say that there weren't good puzzles in the games I'm referring to, or some decent sneaking around, etc. There were, but they weren't what the game was completely centered around. They were part of the larger whole.

Engrossing and fascinating... I'm getting sucked in.

I'm not the only one but apparently the preorder shotgun isn't coming through for some of us. Everything is installed right. I even had a special in game note tell me to not forget to get the things in my office.

Last edited:
looking at the skill tree there are options for a stealth build - I'm going to try to go down the path of sneak up and use the wrench

I too am not getting my preorder bonus items. I have about 4 hours into the game so far, it's fascinating. Very challenging too, I don't think I've ever died so much in a game before! I keep losing battles and finding ammo or health is tough. Frustrating but I just need to be more stealthy I guess.

I too am not getting my preorder bonus items. I have about 4 hours into the game so far, it's fascinating. Very challenging too, I don't think I've ever died so much in a game before! I keep losing battles and finding ammo or health is tough. Frustrating but I just need to be more stealthy I guess.
Engrossing and fascinating... I'm getting sucked in.

I'm not the only one but apparently the preorder shotgun isn't coming through for some of us. Everything is installed right. I even had a special in game note tell me to not forget to get the things in my office.

Are you guys opening the locker in your office? There is a small safe and a locker storage. I thought the safe was where my pre order items came in, but it's not.

I passed the locker 4 x in and out of my office until I realized what it was and the shotgun plus a bunch of other stuff was in there, too.

BTW, I love this game. Very unique, imo.

Really enjoying this game. Haven't been this engrossed with a game like this since the first Bioshock. I'm also enjoying it far more then the Dishonored games. Something about Dishonored just didn't suck me in. The gameplay variety of those games are cool, and the art style is great - But the games just didn't suck me in like this one does. Maybe it's because I just prefer the scifi setting more.

And FYI - Nvidia users be aware to NOT upgrade to the latest driver release. It introduces stuttering galore. With older drivers the game runs smooth. Not sure how Nvidia fucked that one up given the latest driver is supposed to be 'gameready' for Prey.

Graphics are good enough I guess for how well it runs, but it's obvious the game should have released with higher res textures for the PC.

Last edited:
Are you guys opening the locker in your office? There is a small safe and a locker storage. I thought the safe was where my pre order items came in, but it's not.

I passed the locker 4 x in and out of my office until I realized what it was and the shotgun plus a bunch of other stuff was in there, too.

BTW, I love this game. Very unique, imo.

Where's that locker? I opened the safe.

I agree. I love this game. GOTY shortlist all the way.

The locker is a tall cabinet to the right of the safe in a corner

Thanks man. Somehow I "blurred" past that last night. It will be good to see things fresh come later today. :)

Does it support >60Hz? (phobia from Fallout4)

I *think* so...

I searched for "Prey PC performance" and everything I can find does not suggest any problems going past 60Hz.... I'd like to think at least one of those outfits would be warning people otherwise... but to be fair I won't swear by it and sign off on it because I'm still on a 60Hz monitor myself.

Hopefully someone around here will chime in on this for you soon. :)

Does it support >60Hz? (phobia from Fallout4)

It does. And it supports SLI which isn't even needed for a 1080 Ti and 4k max settings to sustain a solid 60 Hz, I'm getting about 120 FPS with SLI enabled but really bad tearing with my Sammy 4k monitor so I enabled vsynch to lock in the framerate to 60 and it runs great.

It does. And it supports SLI which isn't even needed for a 1080 Ti and 4k max settings to sustain a solid 60 Hz, I'm getting about 120 FPS with SLI enabled but really bad tearing with my Sammy 4k monitor so I enabled vsynch to lock in the framerate to 60 and it runs great.

Would you mind posting a few screenshots? I want to see that 4K love.

Yup. You set yourself up. Now you gotta pony up the 4K eye candy goods for the rest of us. ;)

Am I doing something wrong? I keep dying so much!! LOL! Maybe too much time being aggressive in The Division / Wildlands. I lose every damn fight almost. Am I supposed to NOT want to fight? Like....do they want you to freeze the Phantoms and shit with the gloo gun and just run away? I have a problem where I need to kill everything I see. hahaah

Am I doing something wrong? I keep dying so much!! LOL! Maybe too much time being aggressive in The Division / Wildlands. I lose every damn fight almost. Am I supposed to NOT want to fight? Like....do they want you to freeze the Phantoms and shit with the gloo gun and just run away? I have a problem where I need to kill everything I see. hahaah

Yes, you need to shift back into a Dishonored/ Deus Ex kind of mindset. This ain't Division or Wildlands. ;)

You are not obligated to engage and kill everything you see and more often than not stealth is the best option. Slooooow doooooown.... :)

The Gloo gun is great. Freeze 'em with it and then hit him with another weapon whether it's the wrench, a gun, etc.

Turn the music down in the game settings and use the game's awesome sound design to hear those enemies before they spring on you. Sometimes if you see a funny flash... stop what you're doing and crouch immediately.

Back