Prey Glitch Breaks the Game’s Crafting System

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Want to ruin your Prey experience? Or do you just plain suck at the game? Well, you are in luck, as a way to create unlimited resources and craft as much ammo and as many health kits as you can carry has been found. I am thinking that this will be gone by the next patch, so you should try it sooner rather than later if interested.

…players will need to get about an hour into the game’s opening scenes and have access to main character Morgan Yu’s office. Once there, players will find their first Material Recycler. Recyclers are used to mash up other loot into Materials, which can then be turned into many other consumable items. All you need to do is fill the Recycler up with already-recycled stuff, divide that stuff into at least four piles and hit the button. You’ll have twice as much as you started with. We’ve been able to confirm that it works on both PlayStation 4 and Windows PC versions of the game so far.

Hmm I'd have myself shot before letting myself to waste time with a game that requires 'crafting' or other mindless repetitive tasks in order to achieve a hypothetical goal.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Hmm I'd have myself shot before letting myself to waste time with a game that requires 'crafting' or other mindless repetitive tasks in order to achieve a hypothetical goal.

Why? Aren't all games by their nature repetitive? It is just whether you find the loop fun or not...

Why? Aren't all games by their nature repetitive? It is just whether you find the loop fun or not...

No, not all games are repetitive in the sense that you need to harvest or 'craft' in order to actually get to play the game. It's counter intuitive to get rewarded for doing something that's just a repetitive task. Why include that in the game in the first place? Sounds more like a punishment than fun.

No, not all games are repetitive in the sense that you need to harvest or 'craft' in order to actually get to play the game. It's counter intuitive to get rewarded for doing something that's just a repetitive task. Why include that in the game in the first place? Sounds more like a punishment than fun.

People are different and like different things. Personally, I like crafting systems in games. I don't mind hunting for different materials and plans in order to upgrade stuff. The gain money-buy stuff loop is alright, but sometimes its nice to have different options.

Glad not everyone shares that opinion. Some find the 'menial' task relaxing. I don't mind a little stardew valley because going outside plowing a field is not what I want to do after work.

People are different and like different things. Personally, I like crafting systems in games. I don't mind hunting for different materials and plans in order to upgrade stuff. The gain money-buy stuff loop is alright, but sometimes its nice to have different options.

I guess so - but that might be why I've considered so called scripted games a complete no-go for decades. The moment I see a repetitive task or an obvious scripted story I get revolted. For long I preferred games that had real human interaction and therefor always an element of surprise. I no longer play those either.

eh, I did this and am wondering if I should restart my game. I have not gotten very far in, not actually been able to play it much, but it does appear to break the intended balance of the game.

I usually have no problems with crafting in games, it's usually done in a way that I can leapfrog content by just doing a few low level tasks, and they usually are flexible enough that I get to make stuff I would actually want to use. I also prefer a mix of artisan skills and combat that straight up pure combat.

I'd take that over a game with nothing but combat, or play a game using nothing but combat.

I guess so - but that might be why I've considered so called scripted games a complete no-go for decades. The moment I see a repetitive task or an obvious scripted story I get revolted. For long I preferred games that had real human interaction and therefor always an element of surprise. I no longer play those either.
So what games *do* you like? I mean, I can think of very very few games where repetition isn't part of the parcel, but do fill in the blanks please.

So what games *do* you like? I mean, I can think of very very few games where repetition isn't part of the parcel, but do fill in the blanks please.

Air combat simulations were the last games I played. Also Trials on multiplayer is kinda fun occasionally, with some beer.

Air combat simulations were the last games I played. Also Trials on multiplayer is kinda fun occasionally, with some beer.
Fair enough, that reminds me that I haven't played any sort of Flight game in.. years. I still have a MS SideWinder FF 2, that stick is pretty cool for non-pro gear.

Fair enough, that reminds me that I haven't played any sort of Flight game in.. years. I still have a MS SideWinder FF 2, that stick is pretty cool for non-pro gear.

I have the original MS Precision Pro... only 17 years old now and still kicking.

I don't like grinding and if it feels like a grind, I will either find a way to mitigate that, or I'll move on. I use Cheat Engine to allow me to bypass a lot of the grinding in games. I just don't have the patience anymore to do that 3 hours of repetitive motions to move 3 steps.

They can patch it, sure. However, I don't see the point. It's not like you will discover it by accident. It's there for those that wish to do it. Leave me alone to enjoy the game in the method I deem appropriate.

Anyone with a gsync monitor and 144hz having issues with this game and terrible stuttering? No matter what graphics settings i have on it seems really bad. Using the newest game ready drivers for my 1080ti.

Anyone with a gsync monitor and 144hz having issues with this game and terrible stuttering? No matter what graphics settings i have on it seems really bad. Using the newest game ready drivers for my 1080ti.

The Steam Forums recommend the earlier driver.

I've been playing shooters for more than 20 years. My skills are very transferable between games. Characters are not. RPGs are bad for you, man. Ask your physician, he/she knows.

crafting in games sucks.

This. It's just waiting for shit to happen.

Most, if not all, games have some sort of repetitive nature, where you're doing something (even if slightly different as the game goes on) to continue the story (quest, task, etc.). It's highly monotonous, but for some reason, our brains like it. Must be the rewards given.

Why are you wasting time in a simulator when anyone with a high enough IQ is getting real hours at their local airport / pilot academy, sober obviously because beer is for the troglodytes of the world.

I'm on a 970 SLi setup and haven't noticed anything out of the blue. But, I've only played for a few minutes, maybe, 30 total.
With Gsync? its super easy to see for me, ill try out the nvidia control panel setting for vsync to make sure i have it on there. And leave it off in my games (not sure if i had this option on or off)

Why are you wasting time in a simulator when anyone with a high enough IQ is getting real hours at their local airport / pilot academy, sober obviously because beer is for the troglodytes of the world.

Learn to read. I said I used to play it - I don't play anymore.

Back