prerelease benchmarks r520

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, the only graphs people should pay attention to are the ones at 1600*1200. The X1800XT seems to generally perform below the GTX, although I'd expect driver revisions to make it at least perform on par.

Their conclusion is eerily similar to PCGamers conlcusion in their preview of the 5800Ultra, minus any dustbuster comments.

Hmmm was the GTX clocked @430? Also I see a huge advantage in shader heavy games like SCCT. It´s a compeditive card but by no means a killer card ATIs hype machine tried to make people believe. I´d not buy one unless the 512MB XL matches the price of the 256MB GTX.

I guess there's no real benefit to the increased memory or the increased 'ring bus', which I'm pretty surprised about.

karl76 said:
It´s a compeditive card but by no means a killer card ATIs hype machine tried to make people believe.

The hype was really spread around in the forums - I haven't heard ATI be anything but cautious about their new architecture.

Heh, looks interesting. It performas about how I'd expect it to perform. If they were having probs getting cards, they were having PROBLEMS. That didn't mean they kept it in the lab to make it better than the GTX, that meant they couldn't get a card on par with it imho, so as I see it, once they found a way to wring almost-GTX performance out of it they sent it of for mass production.

That's how I see it.

And The X1800XT only has 16 pipes in these benches right?

These two cards are very close in performance. And the X1800XL fits in between. How are they gonna sell XT's to anyone knowledgable if the XL is even CLOSER to the XT's performance than the pro for $100 less than the XT?

-------

edit: this thread is going to be very popular I predict.....

Wow. Maybe they can ring some extra FPS out of their drivers, but I don't think it will ever be the 7800-killer that it needed to be for ATi to remain competitive this round. I hope (as somebody who knows competition is good for consumers) that ATi doesn't get pummeled into the ground with during the next round, or we may be seeing the beginning of the end of the graphics card industry as we know it.

Im disappointed and thankful I went with the 7800GTX right now. There was only 1 test I believe that the R520 won and even though their beta drivers, not much should change between now and the final release. Im sorry ATi, but my vote goes to nVidia. Lets see how you do on your launch day.

Agreed, ATi's release looks very disappointing. Especially given that 90nm parts tend to run VERY hot and that this part is running at a high clock, I doubt many enthusiasts who are interested in cool and quiet workstations or HTPCs will jump on this product. NVIDIA's HDTV support is at least on par with ATi's support, if not better, so they're going to lose out on a fast-growing portion of the high-end enthusiast market.

I'm guessing ATi will rely heavily on their flagship having 512MB of RAM and a 512-bit bus to out-feature NVIDIA. I expect that they will have much more competitive pricing to OEMs than they will to the retail market as the OEMs won't fall for it.

Too bad I sold my NVIDIA stock....

Elias said:
The hype was really spread around in the forums - I haven't heard ATI be anything but cautious about their new architecture.

Sometimes I wondered if maybe ATI employees still didn´t have their fingers in this whole (at times really annoying) hype frenzy, but thats another topic.

It will definitly be interesting how future games will run on the R520, especially the 360 ports, basically what route the future games will go, shader heavy like SCCT or if it will be close like that for a longer time.

If the R520 can do FP16 HDR with AA and still remain in playable FPS, then they should have a good advantage over the GTX, even if they aren´t faster than the GTX in the end.

I also wonder how they will OC and I had loved to see a FEAR benchmark. That game went gold today. ;)

revan said:
Their conclusion is eerily similar to PCGamers conlcusion in their preview of the 5800Ultra, minus any dustbuster comments.

Thy Might as well have added it, While I am not going to aviod a card because of a two slot HSF setup, I do find it rather dissapointing that they A.) didn't really come that close to the GTX, B.) Will cost more, and C.) And with all of that they were not able to use a single slot cooling system while Nvidia was.

It really is the 5800U all over again. Lets hope they have shorter recovery time, because Nvidia while it took them a year in half to 2 years to recover never really felt the pinch finacially, ATI is already getting hit hard financially and a prolong period like this will very hard to overcome.

Performance might not be too impressive but for some reason that guy didn't mention anything about the new features. He surely has an axe to grind with ATi - so I'm sure he left out all the "good" stuff in his little preview.

I don't see this as a good thing at all for ATI. I'm sure Nvidia will release a 512meg 7800GTX with a faster clock before X-mas. ATI doesn't have a chance. This is starting to look like another "Nv30" situation- but the question remains if ATI can pull out of it as fast as Nvidia did. Good thing ATI has the XBox 360.

Well i hopped on the ATI bandwagon for a 9700pro, and was very pleased. Choose nVidia this round with a GTX, pleased again. I have no bias towards either company, but I think nVidia has smooth sailing this generation.

Diseaseboy said:
I don't see this as a good thing at all for ATI. I'm sure Nvidia will release a 512meg 7800GTX with a faster clock before X-mas. ATI doesn't have a chance. This is starting to look like another "Nv30" situation- but the question remains if ATI can pull out of it as fast as Nvidia did. Good thing ATI has the XBox 360.

This doesn't speak volumes about the xbox 360 shader performance on the r520 seems to be very similiar per clock to the r420's. But since these are pre release benches I'll hold my tongue on this, the r520 does have some interesting features ;) the article failed to mention.

All I can say is ouch, even if the 1800XT beat the 7800GTX by a couple of frames in everything the 7800GTX would still be a whole lot cheaper.

ATIs new slogan "Less for more" :p

They will come back tho, and thats good for everyone, and who knows what they got lined up for next gen could have all thier rejects working on this gen and the stars working on the next one :)

Really, these results aren't surprising. It would have been more impressive 3 months ago.

Sounds like a bullsh!t review. It's bearly faster than an x850xtpe? Give me a break.

Sounds like they are pissed they weren't included so "their sources" say this is the speed.

i'd ignore them completely, seem like a bunch of little kids bitching about ATI, look at the intro comments (which im sure barely anyone here read)

However this time around ATI decided to just not bother with us and go with pro-ATI media, or rather media that would paint a more favorable picture of its latest graphics architecture. They made it very clear that we did not make the cut, as we have written some articles about CrossFire, R520 and ATI’s financial situation that were not apparently not appreciated. Hence we’ve not been briefed by ATI, nor did we sign an NDA, or have been invited to the launch event, so basically they decided to cut us off.

Unfortunately for ATI we have other sources to get detailed information from, for example the board partners that will be manufacturing and selling the majority of these new graphics cards. Obviously because we’re not bound by any NDA or other agreement with ATI we’ve worked hard to get you some benchmark results prior to the launch which is scheduled for the end of this month. To ATI we’d like to comment that it is a two-way street really, we’d like to be briefed about your products and have early access to them, if that requirement is met we will have no issues with signing and adhering to NDAs. By cutting us off however we’ve just been given a new incentive to work harder to break the news when we get a chance, in our usual no holds barred fashion.

Definite spite in alot of their comments. There is also absolutly NOTHING mentioned in the preview that couldnt be found out from any other pre-release news or rumor sites, they did not go in depth to what new features the cards have, because they dont have the cards, and....not one picture. I think its bullshit.

Gibbo over at OCUK also said that ATI has not yet released any X1800XTs to the press yet.

Shifra said:
Gibbo over at OCUK also said that ATI has not yet released any X1800XTs to the press yet.

The website says it got its information from others (board partners etc.), but i definitley agree that the article does seem fishy.

tornadotsunamilife said:
The website says it got its information from others (board partners etc.), but i definitley agree that the article does seem fishy.

Yea but board partners aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot either (so early)

Granted..IF it's true..sucks. GTX will be in my future (unless image quality HDR yata yata is way better)

Also like the machine specs they gave..

OH WAIT..there are none.

So the GTX could have been a pimped out rig while the r520 on a Duron 1.2 processor. :rolleyes:

wait for NDA for real reviews.

Netrat33 said:
Also like the machine specs they gave..

OH WAIT..there are none.

So the GTX could have been a pimped out rig while the r520 on a Duron 1.2 processor. :rolleyes:

wait for NDA for real reviews.

They did give specs at the end. Asus A8N Delux, FX57, 1 GB RAM yadda yadda

"Considering the fact that we’ve used a top-of-the-line AMD Athlon FX57 processor, with 1GB of OCZ DDR400 memory on the popular Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard your mileage may vary, we honestly don’t know how these cards will do in a lower spec-ed system."

Oh, damn, beat to the post again. :\

bildad said:
They did give specs at the end. Asus A8N Delux, FX57, 1 GB RAM yadda yadda

Heh! woops! missed that first time. Usually it's listed first :)

So I refer back to post #23

I wouldn't be suprised if this board partner was MSI they did have a falling out of some sort with ATi since they were going to be sent the r520's after the other first tier board partners

These benchmarks seem to line up with what Dave Orton has been saying about R520...R520 is competitive, but definitely loses to the GTX...which was running at default clocks...if you threw one of those leadtek dual slot GTX's in there...running at 500Mhz, it wouldn't even be close...

Even worse for ATi is the recently exposed CrossFire limitations...and even worse than that is that to compete with nVidia...they're going to have to sell these cards waaaay below MSRP and have them available in abundance at launch...

Unless some sort of miracle happens, I think it's pretty safe to declare ATi out of the running for the ultra high end...

On a lighter note...I'm betting their mid-range offerings will be pretty awesome, so we should see some heavy competition there and probably some great deals coming soon...and I'm sure performance will increase a lot over time as ATi develops the drivers for this new architecture...

As far as I'm concerned, R520 is now officially ATi's NV30...it's bigger, hotter, clocked to the moon, has faster memory, takes up two slots...and it still manages to be slower than a 430Mhz GTX...

I believe it. Why make stuff up? They would just lose credibility when the real reviews came in. Whereas if they tell the truth...

deathBOB said:
I believe it. Why make stuff up? They would just lose credibility when the real reviews came in. Whereas if they tell the truth...

The cards are in reviewers hands...that much we know...there's no reason not to believe these benchmarks...my only concern is they don't show HDR/PS3.0 performance specifically...and that could turn out to be a big deal...

deathBOB said:

The Inq, old (possibly still) Toms hardware......

edit: It's the internet...

^eMpTy^ said:
The cards are in reviewers hands...that much we know...there's no reason not to believe these benchmarks...my only concern is they don't show HDR/PS3.0 performance specifically...and that could turn out to be a big deal...

It's in "some" reviewers hands...not this site with it's "benches"

The R520 was "supposed" to come out in June and compete against the 6xxx series. However the delay means that they will be out in October and were probably never meant to compete above the 7xxx series.

In the next month or so FEAR, Quake4, Black & White 2 and COD2 should really test these cards.

To be fair too if these benches are a good glimpse of what to come: Got to remember that when nvidia released the 6800 series and then ati a week later the x800 series, a x800pro could beat an ultra. One or two driver set later it put it back in it's place.

PRIME1 said:
The R520 was "supposed" to come out in June and compete against the 6xxx series. However the delay means that they will be out in October and were probably never meant to compete above the 7xxx series.

Uh...what? where did you read that? (competeing against 6xxx)

Netrat33 said:
It's in "some" reviewers hands...not this site with it's "benches"

The point is, the cards have been released to reviewers...so they are in their final form...and the drivers used in these benchmarks are the same drivers we'll see at launch...

It's really no big surprise that R520 is slower than G70...you had to see this coming...

Netrat33 said:
Uh...what? where did you read that? (competeing against 6xxx)

Yeah that's wrong...R520 was always intended to compete against the 7800s...

ya it looks as though ATi fell on there asses on this one but i feel they got something stuck up there sleeves that there not talking about. there not gona take it lying down. i really can't beleave it didn't come out fast then the 7800. all i got to say is WOW.

Netrat33 said:
To be fair too if these benches are a good glimpse of what to come: Got to remember that when nvidia released the 6800 series and then ati a week later the x800 series, a x800pro could beat an ultra. One or two driver set later it put it back in it's place.

Probably won't happen they had quite a bit of time it fine tune thier drivers. Almost 4 months. Also other reviewer's like Rys from Hexus also hinted at the performance of the r520 is nothing that great. I've been saying this for a while it will compete (stay within 10% this way or that way depending on the benchmark) well with the g70 but won't beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back