prerelease benchmarks r520

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netrat33 said:
To be fair too if these benches are a good glimpse of what to come: Got to remember that when nvidia released the 6800 series and then ati a week later the x800 series, a x800pro could beat an ultra. One or two driver set later it put it back in it's place.

Very true statement...though I suspect that all the delays gave ATi ample time to do the typical first round of driver enhancments...hopefully more info about that will be available at launch...

Netrat33 said:
Um...no not really.

Well...once ATi's CEO said "*if* we hit our target clock speeds we *should* be faster than the 7800GTX" it was all over...not to mention only having 16 pipelines...

I'm not surprised at all...

Ouch the X1800XT got owned. I never expected performance to be this disappointing even with the 16 pipe configuration. No wonder ATi has been so quiet about the R520 all these months.

Razor1 or anyone who knows, what features does the R520 have that the G70 doesn´t have?

karl76 said:
Razor1 or anyone who knows, what features does the R520 have that the G70 doesn´t have?

512MB of memory running at 1400Mhz effective on a 512bit "ring-bus"...and CrossFire...other than that...not sure

^eMpTy^ said:
Well...once ATi's CEO said "*if* we hit our target clock speeds we *should* be faster than the 7800GTX" it was all over...not to mention only having 16 pipelines...

I'm not surprised at all...

16 pipes...not really an issue. Pipes aren't everything.

The CEO statement though, I just figured they can't say anything until it's out :) (more lawsuits)
My only assumption was: Same speed.

One item, does anyone really have a GTX that runs at 430? I wonder what the delta would be for the 7800 GTX cards that run at 490 compared to the x1800XT.

Personally, I see this as good news. The cards are similar in performance. That means nVidia will not sit on their laurels with a big lead. Now, they have to do some serious thinking with the r580 on the horizon.

I really want to see how these cards OC. And, a review with the cards in a Crossfire configuration (hopefully getting past 1600x1200 and 60 Hz ).

I remember when the first 6800Ultra bechines were "leaked" and the 9800XT was beating it....i think ill wait for Anandtechs review thanks.

Also, the MSRP is the exact same as the 7800GTX's. We can expect the price to come down just as its did.

PLUS they never even mentioned all the new feature the card has. As has been said its "packed to the moon".

Cali3350 said:
I remember when the first 6800Ultra bechines were "leaked" and the 9800XT was beating it....i think ill wait for Anandtechs review thanks.

I think I'll wait for HardOCP's

Brent_Justice said:

I will too but as long as you give us ample apples-to-apples benchmarks with min. FPS numbers. As much as I love your guys most comfortable performance reviews, I still prefer the head-to-head numbers.

I'd hate to say it but people that think ATi have some miraculous ace up their sleeve are just being wishful. If you look at the history of both companies, ATi has never beaten nVidia up until the 9700/9800 and since then one could argue they barely maintained parity with an aging core. So I reallly doubt they have anything available to beat the 7800 GTX - they should just pray that nVidia doesn't get greedy and release a faster clocked GTX by the time X1800 is released, that will definitely bury their card.

I kinda like the new [H] reviews. I find them to be a lot more useful than just a bunch of numbers.

Yeah - I'd like to see some numbers from X1800XTs in a CrossFire config also. :) hint hint (Brent :))

5150Joker said:
ATi has never beaten nVidia up until the 9700/9800 and since then one could argue they barely maintained parity with an aging core. So I reallly doubt they have anything available to beat the 7800 GTX - they should just pray that nVidia doesn't get greedy and release a faster clocked GTX by the time X1800 is released, that will definitely bury their card.

Doesn't every company have to start somewhere?
AMD didn't beat intel right away.
Nvidia didn't beat 3DFX right away.

Netrat33 said:
Doesn't every company have to start somewhere?
AMD didn't beat intel right away.
Nvidia didn't beat 3DFX right away.

ATI has been around longer than NVIDIA.

Cali3350 said:

Also, the MSRP is the exact same as the 7800GTX's. We can expect the price to come down just as its did.

PLUS they never even mentioned all the new feature the card has. As has been said its "packed to the moon".

Does everyone have a short memory? I always thought it was a joke but some people seem to be to only be able to think back a couple of months or so. The 7800GTX is a complately different beast then we have ever seen before. Think back to the 6800U and x850 or X800 XT PE, how long was it before price drop from the MSRP? Depends if your talking about after they spent 3-4 months at 50% more then MSRP, then the answer would be another 2-3 months. I remember the Geforce2 Ultra (greatest card ever) never lowering in value till they had pretty much stopped producing it. There has been a long History even at the hight of competition that the uber highend cards almost never lower in price during their production period. Even the 9800XT satyed at 500+ till almost the day the X800 came out.

The X1800 is an uber late (which means ATI lost money it needs to make back), Apperantly has low yields (which is normal for all Uber high ends) and will have low availability. I nor anyone else should even think that this will lower in cost by a 120 in a month like the 7800GTX did. The 7800GTX has all the the caracteristics of a The Mid-range uber highend cards. It had near imeadiate availabilty (and constant), and has a very large overclocking window. This why Everyone thought a Ultra was on the way, it would be easy for anyone to get an almost 100MHz OC. When you have such a High yield , high production card, no matter how expensive you want to sell it competition and need to move inventory will force the cost down to a point that you can have a revovling door.

Brent_Justice said:

Boom!

boom5wq.jpg

Any ETA for the review?

I have a better name for this card. The X855XTPE. Why do companies insist on releasing "Next-gen" cards that have negligible performance gains.

hahah... more BS... Just what the doctor didn't order... sheesh!

5150Joker said:
Ouch the X1800XT got owned. I never expected performance to be this disappointing even with the 16 pipe configuration. No wonder ATi has been so quiet about the R520 all these months.

i have this felling some one just finaly said "SHIP IT" even though it wasnt as fast as thay wanted oh well looks like im saying with my 6800 till then next round

Obi_Kwiet said:
I have a better name for this card. The X855XTPE. Why do companies insist on releasing "Next-gen" cards that have negligible performance gains.

"Next-gen" doesn't really mean faster performance.

Next-gen simply refers to a new generation of technology, i.e. architecture changes, new features, completely new core maybe that will encompass a completely new line of video cards as decreed by the company. The company making the chip has the power to call it whatever they want, they can add it to the current lineup, or create an entire new lineup out of it, it's up to them.

Looking at the rumored specs of the R520, SM 3.0, yadda yadda yadda, it seems very much "Next-gen" to me.

yeah, performance does not necessarily mean huge gains in FPS... or any at all.. now that we seem to have cards which are capable of HUGE amounts of FPS at high resolutions, IQ seems be more the focus now..

you'd have to be mildly retarded to take those benchmarks for fact.

or maybe you missed the laughable +/- 5-10% difference from an X850.

empty im restraining myself from putting your aweful comments down, please try to be a little less bias and gullable.

Netrat33 said:
"This is a complete hoax - done with an OC'd X850, we think. Call our partners yourself and ask if they have R520XTs in house. The numbers aren't even close."

With those numbers..I believe it is an oc x850

No offense Netrat...but you'd believe anything positive that anyone said about ATi...

Looking at the large performance disparity in Doom3...I'm betting it's R520 class hardware...whether or not it's representative of the final product...probably not...I doubt ATi would call it a hoax outright if there wasn't something seriously wrong...

revenant said:
yeah, performance does not necessarily mean huge gains in FPS... or any at all.. now that we seem to have cards which are capable of HUGE amounts of FPS at high resolutions, IQ seems be more the focus now..

nope you're right it doesnt, but the 1.3x increase in pipeline performance resulting from a widened pipeline and the simple matter of the huge difference in clocks, for example an X850 does 560/1120 i believe, and the XT doing 600/1400, should be a much bigger change then +/- %5-%10, even IF the card was a failure in terms of improvment per clock over the R480, the resulting very large increase in clocks would get it closer to the GTX and far further away from the X850 then that.

Brent_Justice said:

christ...if this is true, WHAT IS THE POINT?!?! Gawd i'll never understand what it is about video cards that makes people so weird. Rumors, fake benchmarks, totally BS write ups..... methinks there are hippys that need jobs.

From now on i vow to keep my eyes closed until I see the box with the card I want on the shelves of the local comp-usa, then I'll ask the trained and well qualified staff for assistance.

:mad:

Aaron_ATX said:
From now on i vow to keep my eyes closed until I see the box with the card I want on the shelves of the local comp-usa, then I'll ask the trained and well qualified staff for assistance.

oh god i hope thats a joke

Shifra said:
nope you're right it doesnt, but the 1.3x increase in pipeline performance resulting from a widened pipeline and the simple matter of the huge difference in clocks, for example an X850 does 560/1120 i believe, and the XT doing 600/1400, should be a much bigger change then +/- %5-%10, even IF the card was a failure in terms of improvment per clock over the R480, the resulting very large increase in clocks would get it closer to the GTX and far further away from the X850 then that.

ok - yes - I agree with you. There should be some increase in raw FPS from the widend pipeline and increased clocks...

Brent_Justice said:
Looking at the rumored specs of the R520, SM 3.0, yadda yadda yadda, it seems very much "Next-gen" to me.

yadda yadda yadda?!

CLARIFY please :D :p

^eMpTy^ said:
No offense Netrat...but you'd believe anything positive that anyone said about ATi...

Looking at the large performance disparity in Doom3...I'm betting it's R520 class hardware...whether or not it's representative of the final product...probably not...I doubt ATi would call it a hoax outright if there wasn't something seriously wrong...

:rolleyes:
I'd believe anything positive anyone said about ati? based on what?

I'm looking at the numbers and they aren't THAT much better than an x850 which I posted earlier saying (post 20 on page 1)

and doom3:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzkxLDM=

Granted they did 4xAA and Hardocp did 2xAA, doesn't seem to me that much of a difference still in performance.

It's not just about features... I need more performance at higher resolutions. The current cards, even 7800GTX, probably aren't going to be able to run modern games in the resolution I play (1920x1200) at full detail and with everything turned on (HDR, AA, AF) and all the way up.

Granted people that run in 1600x1200 or higher are still probably the minority but I'm talking about my own needs here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back