Predator X34 competitors?

Hey all! I'm looking into my first ultrawide, and kindof in the camp that I don't want to compromise. The Predator X34 seems to tick all the boxes:

3440x1440
120hz
IPS panel with a slight curve
G-sync

I know that the X34 has been out for a few years now, and a quick search shows there are some comparable alternatives. LG, Alienware, Asus...

Has anything trumped the X34 within the same spec range since it launched? Does anyone have experience with it and/or other models that are similar? Normally I just go buy a monitor, but for something this pricey I thought it might be prudent to ask around first.

Thanks!

The LG 34GK950F is better in most areas I would say, though I don't know how the price compares to the X34 these days. 34GK950F is native 144 Hz, additionally the 120 Hz on the X34 is an overclock and not guaranteed.

34GK950F also supports HDR, although only HDR400 so it isn't super useful in my opinion, but at least it does support it. It is a FreeSync monitor but works with Nvidia's G-Sync compatibility. There are some things you miss out on from not having the hardware G-Sync module, not as wide of a sync range for one (55-144 FPS). That isn't a big deal to me though so I'd get the 34GK950F over the X34 personally.

34GK950F has HDMI 2.0 as well which might be beneficial if you're hooking it up to other devices. The X34 is HDMI 1.4 and I think limited to 50 Hz when connected that way.

Thanks! I did find that one, though it took your post and a little digging to find out that they (for whatever reason) gimped the G-sync version pretty hard.

There are some things you miss out on from not having the hardware G-Sync module, not as wide of a sync range for one (55-144 FPS).
What does this mean, exactly? If my framerate drops below 55, the variable refresh rate functionality stops working? Does that mean screen tearing at low frames, or...? Sorry, I've used G-sync for years now, but never really learned the specifics of it or how it differs from Freesync. I want to say that this shouldn't be an issue - I tend to set my games eye candy for higher (100+) refresh rates, but it's worth knowing. Is there anything else that goes along with having a Freesync monitor attached to an Nvidia card?

Thanks! I did find that one, though it took your post and a little digging to find out that they (for whatever reason) gimped the G-sync version pretty hard.

What does this mean, exactly? If my framerate drops below 55, the variable refresh rate functionality stops working? Does that mean screen tearing at low frames, or...? Sorry, I've used G-sync for years now, but never really learned the specifics of it or how it differs from Freesync. I want to say that this shouldn't be an issue - I tend to set my games eye candy for higher (100+) refresh rates, but it's worth knowing. Is there anything else that goes along with having a Freesync monitor attached to an Nvidia card?

Exactly - VRR will only engage when it's in the range of 55-144 FPS. So anytime you go below 55 FPS you will experience tearing. I always aim for 60+ FPS minimum anyway so not an issue for me. Compared to the 34GK950G (which has a hardware G-Sync module), the sync range goes down to 30 FPS.

Input lag is usually lower on monitors with the module as well, but the 34GK950F has very low lag so not a concern. It's nearly the same as the G, it wasn't initially, but they fixed that with a firmware update as pointed out in TFTcentral's review: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm

I don't think there's anything else to look out for with this monitor in particular, I know it works well with an Nvidia card having used it myself. I ended up moving to the 38GL950G recently since I wanted something bigger though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This one is checking a bunch of boxes for me. A bit wider but I'm liking the specs for gaming and productivity with KVM-switch built-in and Picture-by-Picture... Techlicious
AOC Agon AG493UCX 49" Curved Immersive Gaming Monitor, Dual QHD 5120x1440 @ 120Hz, VA Panel, 1ms 120Hz Adaptive-Sync, 121% sRGB, Height Adjustable, 4-Yr Zero Dead Pixels Guarantee $999 usd
I saw some monitors of that width class and as neat as they look, I don't think my single 1080ti will push that many pixels at quality settings I'd be happy with. Eventually I'll have something better, I know, but... I'm not holding by breath re: Nvidia pulling their heads out of their raytraced asses and returning flagship GPU pricing to the sub-$1K realm.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm with ya 100% on that last part VanGoghComplex I bought my 2080Ti used for same reasoning.... shame on the green team ;). I've had their flagship since 8800GTX, when released, they pissed me off with what they did with the RTX let's hope they make it right going forward

Did some more review watching and ordered the LG UltraGear monitor mentioned by x3sphere . Excited, but also nervous about such a big fragile item being shipped.

I'm not allowed to open it for a couple months because it's technically my birthday present from my wife. I'll see if I can work on that a bit. XD

Will post here when I get to actually try it. =)

So my wife is a sweetie.

IMG_20200221_211928306.jpg

Initial impressions are good. Played a little Doom and FC5 last night. I'm happy with the purchase. =)

Back