Precision Boost Overdrive Quick-Dive

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While we had issues with Ryzen Master and getting Precision Boost Overdrive to work on during our Threadripper 2990WX and 2950X Review, we are already working on all of that again with a solid overclocking follow-up for the 2950X. Until then, head over to see Robert Hallock lay out Precision Boost Overdrive in 3 Easy Steps. And remember when we were telling you that PBO was not part of the last launch, and a bunch of folks called us crazy? Well, nana nana booboo, stick your head in doodoo.

Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) is a powerful new feature of the 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ CPUs.1 Much like traditional overclocking, PBO is designed to improve multithreaded performance. But unlike traditional overclocking, Precision Boost Overdrive preserves all the automated intelligence built into a smart CPU like Ryzen: Precision Boost 2 remains enabled for on-demand performance, XFR 2 still enables higher performance with better cooling, and the CPU still lowers clocks and voltages to save power at idle.

I'm a little disconcerted that PBO voids the warranty.

Not that I have really been paying attention (warranty? What warranty...) but overclocked doesn't usually void warranty.

At least not unless you do something really stupid and go way overboard on the voltage.

It seems like some board vendors have gotten the terminology confused in their bioses and documentation.

From everything I have read, PBO is TR2 exclusively, thus far.

Thank you. Yes, I read Kyle's link but that left me with more questions than answers.

First, its sad that AMD posted this article using a GTX 1080 ti for testing :( Second, PBO is available in the latest Ryzen Master and so far in the below thread URL using PBO over auto settings show almost no gains but perhaps more testing is needed. Anybody want to void their warranty? :)

https://hardforum.com/threads/loving-this-2600x.1965570/

I have a sneaky suspicion Kyle is doing just that as we speak :p

It may just require more badass cooling than many of us are used to to show it's max benefit. It also communicates with the motherboard and limits itself based on the motherboards ability to supply power. Maybe you need something with badass VRM's like the MSI Meg board to get the full benefits.

Or, for all I know it could just suck and void your warranty for little or no benefit.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kyle's results!

Last edited:
I have a sneaky suspicion Kyle is doing just that as we speak :p

It may just require more badass cooling than many of us are used to to show it's max benefit. It also communicates with the motherboard and limits itself based on the motherboards ability to supply power. Maybe you need something with badass VRM's like the MSI Meg board to get the full benefits.

Or, for all I know it could just suck and void your warranty for little or no benefit.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kyle's results!

Same here. AMD just released a video on PBO too.

You know what kind of ruins it for me though?

The fact that you need to run Ryzen Master to make it work.

That pretty much ruins TR2 as a *nix desktop with a GPU passthrough windows gaming VM, something it otherwise would be perfect for based on core count.

I can see offering a windows client for convenience, but ALL overclocked options really need to be OS independent and settable in BIOS.

Are you telling this board that you *were* going to spend 2000-3000 on a new TR2, mainboard, and quad channel DDR4, but now you aren't because you can't get all the overclocking features while using Linux as a host?

Are you telling this board that you *were* going to spend 2000-3000 on a new TR2, mainboard, and quad channel DDR4, but now you aren't because you can't get all the overclocking features while using Linux as a host?

More or less, yeah.

I probably wasn't going to buy one immediately, but I am due for an upgrade in the not too distant future, so I am following with great interest.

The problem is this. I would like a powerful HEDT system like this, but I'm not going to get one unless I can truly take advantage of all of those cores. With virtualization I can.

95+% of my desktop usage is in Linux. I currently dual boot to Windows 10 only for games.

It would be very convenient to be able to instead of dual booting, just run my Windows 10 game VM with passthrough.

But, if I do this, I am going to want the absolute best overclock I can possibly get out of it, especially due to AMD's IPC and clock deficit compared to Intel. (They are not as large as they once we're, but they are still there)

Essentially, I am willing to spend on this system if it is a "no compromises" type of system. If I have to forgo PB2 and/or PBO when running Linux, especially since Linux is the host for the Windows game VM, it ceases to be a "no compromises" system.

I'd probably have to scrap the idea of running the gaming VM.

If I scrap the idea of running the gaming VM, then I have absolutely no use what so ever for 16 cores. I'd be better served by a fewer core system.

I'm a little disconcerted that PBO voids the warranty.

Not that I have really been paying attention (warranty? What warranty...) but overclocked doesn't usually void warranty.

At least not unless you do something really stupid and go way overboard on the voltage.

Well just like overclocking an Intel "K" or "X" chip technically voids the warranty unless you pay extra for the overclocking, few questions asked supplemental policy. A reminder link for Intel's "tuning plan" https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/ and https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan

That Intel and AMD seemingly rarely refuses to honor a warranty where the chip might have failed from modest overclocking is neither here no there.

Yes, I read Kyle's link but that left me with more questions than answers.
Please let me know what questions you have and maybe I can help explain as I have a solid understanding of it. Sorry I did not explain well enough in my article.

Well just like overclocking an Intel "K" or "X" chip technically voids the warranty unless you pay extra for the overclocking, few questions asked supplemental policy. A reminder link for Intel's "tuning plan" https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/ and https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan

That Intel and AMD seemingly rarely refuses to honor a warranty where the chip might have failed from modest overclocking is neither here no there.
Just as it has been since the dawn of overclocking, how would anyone prove it was being overclocked?

I have to believe that CPU warranty claims are relatively rare. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but in my 27 years of building my own systems and countless CPU's at this point, I have only ever had one fail. It was a K6-II that was donated to me in order to build a community server at college, and the only reason it failed was because the previous owner overvolted the shit out of it. I want to say it was a 550mhz chip. From memory, when I first got it, it could run at like 650Mhz, but over time it got less and less stable, and I had to keep clocking it down.

Other than that, never had a CPU problem ever. Pretty much, either you way over-volt them, or do something stupid like ESD damage them or physically damage the chip, or they work for ever and ever until the end of time.

Reactions: mkk
like this
I did a warranty claim on my 3930K and DX79SR motherboard. They did not like the aluminum wiring in the condo I was living it at the time (or at least how that wiring reacted to stormy weather).

Is it just me or do we all still not know why you went to the netherlands.

I have looked but didn’t see shit.

Sooooo, why did...........
Stopover on my way to Italy for Threadripper meetings.

Well in this case you are forced to use their software so maybe they are logging a serial number on the CPU or something.
Uh, OK. Let me know when this happens.

Back