Pre-Order Sales of Battlefield V Have Been “Weak”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to a Dow Jones report citing a statement by financial services firm Cowen, Battlefield V pre-order sales have been “weak,” indicating waning interest in the popular shooter franchise. In what may or may not be a coincidence, DICE CEO Patrick Soderlund stepped down this week. This was the same executive who told gamers dissatisfied with EA's creative direction not to buy the game back in June.

These are people who are uneducated—they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game. And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]. And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not ok.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the response he stated. Honestly, I feel the whole gender thing was blown out of proportion, by a tiny minority. I doubt the vast majority of gamers care about the historical accuracy of Battlefield, and if women can be soldiers in the game.

Rather, I have a big feeling that EA's track record of microtransactions galore built into games had a much bigger impact on the lack of preorders.

This has been beaten to death but making a historically inaccurate WWII shooter will turn a lot of people off. There were also tons of strong women to choose from for campaigns or missions without creating abominations. Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko anyone?

Also reskinned shooters for the nth time get boring...

Last edited:
I just want to see if it is bug free before I buy it so I am waiting.
These financial analysts expect gamers to keep putting down money early on crap that does not work right on the first day- . . oh please.

I'm not 100% convinced this is even about the gender thing. BF3 at launch was a bit of a mess. BF4 was even worse, for the longest time,with it's highly faulty hit detection. I myself said back in BF3 that I would no longer consider buying the game until it's been out for 6 months. While I thought BF1 played fairly well, I also didn't pick it up until it was out a year.

Outside of that, the EA CEO, much like the the Star wars people can't just tell the fan base to go pound sand if they don't like it. Regardless of where one might be on the gender issue, that kind of attitude towards the fan base just turns a person off.

Personally, I'd like to see pre-orders of all games take a massive nose dive. Way to many games have been released way to soon. Until the players stop accepting that as just the way it is, it will continue.

Soderlund would have been better to just shut up or say “We’re trying to tell a different story this time” instead of “Women are important, hero derp, this is a game for everyone”. People don’t like identity politics being shoved in their face for shit it shouldn’t be in. Games media loves to keep talking about inclusiveity and shit, but that doesn’t sell games.

Trying to appease to women and SJWs usually fails for the same reason the WNBA is barely on TV and playing to empty arenas... Most women just don’t care.

Though I think a lot of this is people just sick of these shooters. Games like Fortnite gained a massive following just by being different and accessible. These squad shooters all feel like skins of previous games.

Last edited:
The problem with BF V, from my pov, isn't that it features women in a WWII scenario. I understand why you would do it. And yes, it isn't historically accurate, but it is a small license.

No, what really bothers me are those bionic-arms... those Punk-inspired hairs; those tattoos, the katanas and so many other things that would work PERFECTLY on a Punk-world but NEVER on a WWII title.

The problem with BF V, from my pov, isn't that it features women in a WWII scenario. I understand why you would do it. And yes, it isn't historically accurate, but it is a small license.

No, what really bothers me are those bionic-arms... those Punk-inspired hairs; those tattoos, the katanas and so many other things that would work PERFECTLY on a Punk-world but NEVER on a WWII title.

Which to me makes the case they should have just gone all the way and made an alternate universe punk WW2 game :)

Bingo. You could have women in modern or futuristic BF games too.

No, what really bothers me are those bionic-arms....

The "bionic" arms are prosthetics, which did exist back then. Looks dumb to have it in a ww2 game but that's the direction they chose for whatever reason.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I lost all interest in the game once I saw the battle royal teaser. Pass.

I actually liked that part. Battle Royal games are fun... but I'm tired of the buggy product that is PUBG. And Battlefield games have a decent tech-base underneath... I know I played BF:BC2 to death, as well as BF3. Come BF4 I found the maps uninspiring... and plain shit on BF1. Which is why I only put like 50-60 hours on BF1 and never bothered with it again. Such a waste.

Which to me makes the case they should have just gone all the way and made an alternate universe punk WW2 game :)

Exactly.

Bingo. You could have women in modern or futuristic BF games too.

Yes, and I very much doubt that people have problems seeing different races and genders in a WWII. But bionic arms? :yuck: Like how drunk one has to be to have such a shitty ass idea? It just destroys any sort of immersion if could have ever had for me.

Definitely a NOT BUY.

Yes, and I very much doubt that people have problems seeing different races and genders in a WWII. But bionic arms? :yuck: Like how drunk one has to be to have such a shitty ass idea? It just destroys any sort of immersion if could have ever had for me.

Definitely a NOT BUY.

See above ^

Yeah, let's pretend it's the mere sight of a woman that drove away all the customers. After all the entire gaming world is comprised of woman hating incels, right? It couldn't be EA's recent track record with making shit games.

Shit games that are skeletal vehicles for even shittier DLC.

EA's problem is the games they make, not the impotent rage of a hand full of basement dwelling outrage addicts.

The "bionic" arms are prosthetics, which did exist back then. Looks dumb to have it in a ww2 game but that's the direction they chose for whatever reason.

I know what they are. But an arm that allows you to wield a weapon isn't a prosthetic arm, it is a bionic one.

I also know that ON THIS DAY you wouldn't be able to wield a gun with it, much less see combat. But 70 years ago? Like WTF.

And the reason they followed such stupid direction is because they thought being so incredibly inclusive would be good for the game somehow.

I'm fine with the response he stated. Honestly, I feel the whole gender thing was blown out of proportion, by a tiny minority. I doubt the vast majority of gamers care about the historical accuracy of Battlefield, and if women can be soldiers in the game.

.jpg

There's obviously been a huge amount of right-wing SJW trolling going on, but calling the people complaining 'uneducated' was like taking a baseball bat to a beehive. They should have just been honest and said they were going for a less 'realistic' theme this round so you can have your WWII gameplay + chicks.

View attachment 97384

There's obviously been a huge amount of right-wing SJW trolling going on, but calling the people complaining 'uneducated' was like taking a baseball bat to a beehive. They should have just been honest and said they were going for a less 'realistic' theme this round so you can have your WWII gameplay + chicks.

Funny thing is that they only addressed the "women" part, and not all the bullshit they have introduced (katanas, prosthetics, punk-hair styles, etc).

I don't think many of those right-wing people were complaining about seeing blacks or chicks as soldiers, but about the whole ordeal which is a fuck-up that can't be considered in any way WWII based.

They aren't really doing a good job of making the game seem like an improvement over the BF games we already have.

If the only real 'innovation' is you can now have ovaries in your loadout - well, thanks, but that doesn't really make the core game more fun. Unless you could press F and spawn a swarm of little soldier tykes. That'd be cool.

I don't think I've ever played a game and said "Oh goody! it's historically accurate."
"Oh goody! It's a fun game to play." on the other hand...

Now "Oh another shit game filled with lootboxes and other fun stuff." That sounds like EA, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's more of the reason... Who am I kidding it's coming out the same month as RDR2, no shit it has low sales.

Not that I care about BF, or COD for that matter :)

Customary **** EA (throw an Activision-Blizzard in there as well).

I think it's more of gamers taking a wait-and-see approach. EA and Dice promised a no-paid DLC game but me and my friends are waiting to see if they will keep their word. After the shit they pulled with Battlefront 2 I think most BF fans have finally had enough. It's a long time coming and the loot box fiasco finally broke the camel's back.

The game looks extremely shitty. It's basically a re-skinned BF1. No huge maps ... I mean, it's run and gun bs. Zero tactics. Who wants to fight against Black women in Nazi uni-forms with robot arms and gang-banger head-bands that are pink? Some 12 year old that thinks he gets to play this on his handed down iphone 4? They don't even know who their audience is anymore.

All they had to do was scrap the modern music in the videos, I mean that really made no sense.

Keep everything as historically accurate as possible.

Huge maps ..... that's the thing about Battlefield that made it awesome ... was the 64 players with huge maps .....

Keep away from the forced close quarters run, jump and gun action to where kids are just basically running around in circles button mashing killing one another. I bought BF1 when it was $20 dollars ... like a year ago and asked for a refund a few hours later. I was shocked how they had changed the game to small maps and had removed any chance of anyone using real thought to kill someone.

EA fukks everything up hard!

What a shame. Of course no one is going to buy it.

Last edited:

Rather, I have a big feeling that EA's track record of microtransactions galore built into games had a much bigger impact on the lack of preorders.

I definitely feel you are correct. The inclusion of Women or not is not relevant to the conversation. This is all about all the other issues EA has had. The bugginess at launch of how many titles in a row? The crazy transaction history and screwing people that do buy things. Such as the last Mass Effect those of us that did buy it got what DLC? Our complaints about the direction of the series have been ignored since atleast Oct 2011. Anyone know a sniper that puts a massive glowlight on his head? We also all know the pay to win transaction schemes are a huge problem at EA. We don't care so much about aesthetics transactions. I have had all my progress reset in Battlefront II. Gets really weird after awhile. We don't trust them anymore. They include girls or not? Who cares. They make it stable and fun and take it back to basics with no pay to win micro transactions... then I'll bite.

I definitely feel you are correct. The inclusion of Women or not is not relevant to the conversation. This is all about all the other issues EA has had. The bugginess at launch of how many titles in a row? The crazy transaction history and screwing people that do buy things. Such as the last Mass Effect those of us that did buy it got what DLC? Our complaints about the direction of the series have been ignored since atleast Oct 2011. Anyone know a sniper that puts a massive glowlight on his head? We also all know the pay to win transaction schemes are a huge problem at EA. We don't care so much about aesthetics transactions. I have had all my progress reset in Battlefront II. Gets really weird after awhile. We don't trust them anymore. They include girls or not? Who cares. They make it stable and fun and take it back to basics with no pay to win micro transactions... then I'll bite.

Wrong. You've apparently not been reading all the comments and or hearing only what you want to hear. Women in combat in WW2 is most def a huge issue for me and from all the comments I've been reading over the past few months, many many other people as well. 90% of the videos I watch on Youtube are Vietnam, WW1, WW2 .. etc. Look, there are never any women in those combat videos 99.9% of the time. I don't have to tell anyone this. All of ya'll know this already.

Look, I absolutely do not want to play a multi-player Battlefield game and have to shoot at Black women in Nazi uniforms. Ok? It's a very real issue.

It's just as relevant as any of the other concerns.

They aren't really doing a good job of making the game seem like an improvement over the BF games we already have.

If the only real 'innovation' is you can now have ovaries in your loadout - well, thanks, but that doesn't really make the core game more fun. Unless you could press F and spawn a swarm of little soldier tykes. That'd be cool.

Thats the Kony2012 talent. Dice will put that in the North Africa campaign DLC next year. The other talent choice is to jack it in San Diego.

This is kind of fun to watch. :LOL: The social justice warriors are eating each other alive while the ships are sinking. You can see it happening in the gaming and movie industry along with all the biased news networks. Throw in fake news and it makes their heads explode. You are either with them or you're a racist, male pig, woman hater, intolerant scumbag. Or Trump supporter. No middle ground anymore. Some of us just want to play games.

If EA and Dice were smart... they'd make a Star Wars Battlefield themed game where you can add female troops and cybernetic arms. But nope, they're not smart so they give us BF5 and Battlefront instead.

I think Vader1975 is one of the poorly educated folks that Soderlund was talking about. Nazi black women at the front? What kind of drugs were they doing? Have they ever read about what the Nazis were like? The only country that had any female soldiers was the USSR and only because they were getting ripped asunder on a giant 3 pronged front and all the warm bodies nearby were thrown into the meat grinder. Some of those made a name for themselves like Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko and far from being a Nazi sniper she made her living shooting Nazi soldiers to death with her trusty Mosin. She was also the very definition of an exception to a rule, fuck DICE.

The last one i enjoyed was BF3. After that ive been on a personal boycott with them since about September 2009 when they blatantly lied to us in the forums about coming with NHL10 for pc. Since then my wallet is heavier :)

Wrong. You've apparently not been reading all the comments and or hearing only what you want to hear. Women in combat in WW2 is most def a huge issue for me and from all the comments I've been reading over the past few months, many many other people as well. 90% of the videos I watch on Youtube are Vietnam, WW1, WW2 .. etc. Look, there are never any women in those combat videos 99.9% of the time. I don't have to tell anyone this. All of ya'll know this already.

Look, I absolutely do not want to play a multi-player Battlefield game and have to shoot at Black women in Nazi uniforms. Ok? It's a very real issue.

It's just as relevant as any of the other concerns.

My gripe with EA was how they handled the request for a "historical accuracy" toggle. Something to make the soldiers wear the accurate uniforms and turn off the customization options (client side). I think it was similar to the other one and essentially said "don't play it then."

Like I said before, there is nothing about gender or social justice that offends me, it's just that the game's art style looks like brightly coloured junkand by no means indicative of WWII, if you look at the quintessential WWII media like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, they paint the bleak, morally grey but heroic attitude of the biggest war the world has ever seen: this game makes it look like a toddler's finger painting...

Totally DGAF about what the dumbass said. I preordered BF1 and got burned.. the game is absolute trash IMHO and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I'm waiting out BF5. If it's a reskin of BF1 I'll be playing BF4 still and looking for a new franchise.

Soderlund would have been better to just shut up or say “We’re trying to tell a different story this time” instead of “Women are important, hero derp, this is a game for everyone”. People don’t like identity politics being shoved in their face for shit it shouldn’t be in. Games media loves to keep talking about inclusiveity and a shit, but that doesn’t sell games.

Trying to appease to women and SJWs usually fails for the same reason the WNBA is barely on TV and playing to empty arenas... Most women just don’t care.

Though I think a lot of this is people just sick of these shooters. Games like Fortnite gained a massive following just by being different and accessible. These squad shooters all feel like skins of previous games.

Agreed, nothing pisses me off more than some rent-a-ceo that thinks they are smart enough to insult their customers because they are just so "just" that guy was a tool and sadly he won't learn, he was not punished, he made plenty. Sucks but that's the way it is. Hopefully someone will kick his teeth in though for the fun of it.

And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before.
What a lying and/or clueless piece of shit! I despise these assholes that are infesting every community and fandom with their endless bullshit. I hope their products and companies crash and burn. Retarded masses of instant gratification junkies today aren't going to allow it, buy I still hope.

I hope they get rid of all the crap revisionary history aspects and the game play is good. I got burnt on BF hardline as well as BF1 (bought on sale, hated it).

I want more BF3/BF4 gameplay and settings. I loved tanking or attack chopper ing on rush mode. They deleted that from bfv, and it stunk on bf1 due to only allowing 24 players total.

After BC2 I pre-ordered bf3 and bf4, but there's no way in hell I'm jumping in early this time.

Back