Post Your Workstations 2017

Discussion in 'Case Mod Gallery' started by EngrChris, Jan 1, 2017.

1. EngrChris

EngrChris Gawd

Happy New Year with 2017!

[​IMG]

FrEaKy likes this.
  2. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

3. thelead

thelead 2[H]4U

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    H1HID, gigatexal, NeoGohan and 5 others like this.
  4. Hofy

Hofy 2[H]4U

The plan for 2017 is to build a new desk. Then a new chair.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    ecktt likes this.
  5. Vicinity

Vicinity 2[H]4U

Cleaning desks now.

6. Sandspur

Sandspur n00b

[​IMG]

Not Much Has Changed.

7. ranviper

ranviper [H]ard|Gawd

8. Celcius

Celcius Limp Gawd

Where did you get the piece of wood for the desk?

9. Joe_coral

Joe_coral [H]Lite

Looks like a KARLBY from IKEA to me

10. thelead

thelead 2[H]4U

What Joe_coral said. KARLBY from IKEA. I've had it for a year or so now and it's held up very well. Looking back though, I wish I would have gone with a lighter finish but it's an awesome tabletop. I might go out and switch it up again this year.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10301149/#/30301148

11. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Gawd

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

The size of the desk is hard to gauge in the picture - the right monitor is 30". It's a big desk.

But where's the computer, you say?

Well, mounted under the desk is a USB hub. Connected to that hub is a really long USB cable. Connected to each of the monitors is a really long HDMI and really long dual-link DVI cable respectively. Connected to the speakers is a really long audio cable. They all run off to the right, and then up into the ceiling which leads to the attic. They come out here:

[​IMG]

That's in the guest bedroom closet. The top PC is the one on the right monitor, which I use for gaming and general purpose websurfing.

Below that is the PC that is used on the left monitor:

[​IMG]

This PC is a virtualization host, media archive (those are 3TB drives), and PLEX server. A VM running on it is where I do all of my work (I work from home).

Keeping everything in the far-away closet (two rooms away) means zero heat and noise in the room with me.

12. Susquehannock

Susquehannock 2[H]4U

Got my 1mb memory module installed, and box full of Floppys. Ready to get cracking!
    . hp1.jpg

13. Snoflo

Snoflo Limp Gawd

Super! Med student?

14. mangapc

mangapc Limp Gawd

Nice throwback

Susquehannock likes this.
  15. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

16. Zurginator

Zurginator Gawd

The time for world domination has come.

[​IMG]

phreak144, atp1916, Burticus and 14 others like this.
  17. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 [H]ard|Gawd

I've heard staring at the sun is bad for your eyes... I can only imagine sitting next to the sun is also bad for you.

Mistral likes this.
  18. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

I Am The God Of Hellfire!!

19. kevral

kevral n00b

Very nice, and this is exactly what I am planning on doing!

Would you mind sharing a little about the process of making it work properly? Do you have any lag due to the long cables? Are you using active cables? Are you getting full resolution on the monitors?

20. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Gawd

No lag at all.

I am definitely using active cables.

Full resolution is available (1080p on the left monitor, 1600p on the right)

For HDMI, (the left monitor) I'm using this cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025507&p_id=9172&seq=1&format=2
    For Dual-link DVI-D (right monitor) I'm using this cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10209&cs_id=1020901&p_id=2185&seq=1&format=2

Mounted under the desk is an 8-port USB 2 hub, connected via this cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6149
    On the right of the desk, there is a single USB 3 port, which is the end of *two* of these cables daisy-chained: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-SuperSpeed-Female-Extension/dp/B00DMFB5OK

I used to use really long extension cables for the audio as well, but I've recently swapped to a USB soundcard connected to the 2.0 hub, because I did get some interference on the analog audio extension. This is likely caused because the cables have to run up into my attic and very close to some equipment (like my A/C furnace) up there. My mic is in the webcam.

The only problems I've ever encountered were some weirdness with the USB 3 extension cables. They count as two hubs each, and USB defines the maximum number of hubs in a chain of 5. So with two of those cables, that's 4 hubs and if I plug a hub in on the end at my desk that makes 5. Well, if anything else gets plugged into the USB 3 ports on the PC, there is a mystery hub that appears on the PC end, making the hub on my desk #6 in the line instead of #5, and suddenly it stops working. Stupidly enough, unplugging whatever got plugged into the USB 3 on the PC does *not* undo the situation.

In the end, I ran a longer USB 2 cable, since it was inexpensive and didn't have the same daisy-chaining requirement. Now I just keep the USB 3 cable there to plug in thumbdrives and external drives that need the USB 3 speed, and use USB 2 for everything else.

The only other issue I ran into is my older motherboard didn't like accessing the BIOS with the keyboard and mouse plugged in through a hub, so whenever I had to use the BIOS I had to plug a monitor back into the system at the PC (drag one into the closet) and plug in a keyboard/mouse there direct to the system. My newer motherboard doesn't have that problem and works fine through the hubs.

DisparateX and Scizyr like this.
  21. thefordmccord

thefordmccord [H]ard|Gawd

Here is my messy corner.
    20170117_185027026_iOS2.jpg

And here is my work bench.
    20170105_013239552_iOS.jpg

BitMaster and KazeoHin like this.
  22. kevral

kevral n00b

Thanks a lot!

I've planned on placing my PC in the attic and this makes me a lot less worried. I was reading specs on USB and monitor cables, but couldn't find much info on whether using active cables would create any lag.

Will post pics once I get my home office set up!

23. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 [H]ard|Gawd

Perhaps it's my own paranoia, but I would have obscured the info on the plaques and the security cams... but I also refuse to sit with my back to the door in a conference room. So take that how you will.

24. thefordmccord

Eh, I don't really care. It's just my name.

spugm1r3 likes this.
  25. SHiZNiLTi

SHiZNiLTi Gawd

26. SHiZNiLTi

SHiZNiLTi Gawd

I noticed the stickers on the printer...
    I run a 18" Fi BTL in 7cuft@31hz w/ 100sq.in. of port, powered by a Rockford T30001bd, it wangs hard!

27. thefordmccord

Sweet!! I used to have 3 15" Fi Qs in my wagon on a Sundown 3000D in a 12cf box tuned to 34. It got pretty nasty too. Now I have moved over to the other side and I'm currently doing a SQ install in my Scion TC.

28. SHiZNiLTi

SHiZNiLTi Gawd

I actually have started to do the same haha. SPL was fun, but I'm older now and care more about SQ then hairtricks and flexing windows of buildings as I pass by :p

29. SHiZNiLTi

SHiZNiLTi Gawd

Here's a few more pics of the setup at different angles and lighting effects.

I created a frame for the acoustic foam and used a router to hide the LED strips behind it, looks much cleaner this way only having the ambient light.

Let me know what you guys think.
    [​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/gallery/4quKM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ADD me if PTFO BF1 and want to win... SHiZNiLTi_OG

Nanogrip, AlphaQup and spugm1r3 like this.
  30. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

31. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

I felt like I was getting motion sickness from looking at the pictures. But pretty cool otherwise :)

st4rk likes this.
  32. _bdiddy_

_bdiddy_ n00b

Finished this end of 2016.

Monitor on the right is hooked up to a work laptop above. Monitor on the left is the gaming Dell 144Hz. PC is the Thermaltake P3, 6700K @ 4.7Ghz, Evga FE 1080. Surround sound gaming is done by the Nakamichi soundbar in the back and sub underneath the desk. The 2 pre-sonus speakers are for the Numark. I ran power behind the PC for now. I'm considering running all cables behind the PC when I can locate a right-angle DisplayPort cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NeoGohan, ricson, NeloDiavolo and 8 others like this.
  33. sttubs

sttubs Gawd

What case is this?

34. HDriscoll

HDriscoll Limp Gawd

sttubs likes this.
  35. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Loving the security system / monitor. I want to do this myself I just do not want to drill into my landlords property. Waiting for a very good and cheap waterproof wireless solution. I find them occasionally but when I go and find reviews I always read horror stories. I'm guessing we need a few more years until this stuff is much better in terms of quality, ease of use and pricing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  36. FrEaKy

FrEaKy [H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy

37. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

workstation2017.jpg

This is my current workstation updated recently, minus a small desk to the side with my laptop. Will be some more modifications coming soon though. Just for reference, it is a motorized sit/stand desk.

Commander Shepard likes this.
  38. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 [H]ard|Gawd

Which desk is it?

39. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

It is a Biomorph Maxo Series desk. Quite expensive. I am not sure how much I would recommend it. I love my desk, but if I have to move, it will be a problem taking it apart and putting back together. The motors work great though, you can set the levels you want for your sitting and standing position and it will remember them and automatically adjust to them when you click their setting. It holds a lot of weight. I got adjustable monitor mounts for it too that can hold up to 55" monitors on it. It also has some options for cable management with it too. I just am not using all of them at the moment since I just redid that system before that I took the pictures.

40. Guarana [BAWLS]

Guarana [BAWLS] [H]ard|Gawd

I just moved into my GFs apartment with her, so I haven't finished setting anything up yet. (Will need to be /completely/ different than my old apartment.)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass
    6700k, Corsair H115i, SLI GTX970
    Apple Cinema Display
    Front 3 speakers from Logitech X-530 (don't have anywhere to put the rears, yet)

The router on top is an AC1900 running DDWRT as a Wireless Bridge, since I can't get CAT6 over to the main router from here.

I am planning to build a hutch for this later this week / next and make things a little better.

IMG_1643[1].JPG IMG_1644[1].JPG IMG_1645[1].JPG