Post Your Workstations 2013

I hope I'm allowed to ask this here. I've been browsing this thread and you guys all have such amazing set ups. I'm just wondering what some of you do for a living to be able to afford this stuff?

As others have said if you start with something decent and resell components to upgrade the costs over time aren't as bad as you think. And really it comes down to priorities. Some of my friends look at my builds as ridiculous where I see others who drown their cars and boats in cash for mods and say the same thing.

I hope I'm allowed to ask this here. I've been browsing this thread and you guys all have such amazing set ups. I'm just wondering what some of you do for a living to be able to afford this stuff?

I upgrade once a year so can recoup 80-90% of the cost with reselling old components. This is after spending a ton on the initial build.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Man if I was making 50k a year I'd feel so rich. I've been an on and off again college student for some time now and lately I haven't been sure if I was going to continue. As lame as it may sound I think looking at this thread may have motivated me to continue. The one thing I guess I could say I'm passionate about is computers/gaming. Seeing these amazing set ups is good incentive to keep going. Now I just need to figure out what to go for (that was also part of the reason I asked what you guys do for a living.) Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the responses everyone. Man if I was making 50k a year I'd feel so rich. I've been an on and off again college student for some time now and lately I haven't been sure if I was going to continue. As lame as it may sound I think looking at this thread may have motivated me to continue. The one thing I guess I could say I'm passionate about is computers/gaming. Seeing these amazing set ups is good incentive to keep going. Now I just need to figure out what to go for (that was also part of the reason I asked what you guys do for a living.) Thanks everyone!

It all depends on what you like to do. Engineering, Computer Science, information systems, and even just having IT certs will net you a good living.

Navy Electronics school alone had me at 50 plus when I got out. .... degree-less.

What did you do for the navy and what is your job description now? I am an avionics electronics technician and am looking for something in the it/networking field when I get out in 4 years.

I was a Radar Tech (Fire Control). Now I'm an R&D Engineer in the 3D Printing Industry. Still no degree....lol. Experience is everything.

....stuff...

ikpf.jpg

I miss using these speakers. Enjoy them mate.

new condo new desk

(actually tomorrow building new pc ...into existing case) going from i5-2500k to i7-4770k /GA-Z87X-UD3H rig (using my existing Crucial M4 256GB SSD and Radeon HD7970 and 12GB DDR3) have had the parts since Saturday just now time or place to work with the move in chaos).

anyways... new desk

j6m.jpg

Nothing to special, and I do zero work at this thing, but not much point in showing a picture of the Dell at work :)

SL732606.JPG

What's the amp?

new condo new desk

(actually tomorrow building new pc ...into existing case) going from i5-2500k to i7-4770k /GA-Z87X-UD3H rig (using my existing Crucial M4 256GB SSD and Radeon HD7970 and 12GB DDR3) have had the parts since Saturday just now time or place to work with the move in chaos).

anyways... new desk

Come on post some pictures of the vintage audio rack too. :D

I apologize for the crappy pics - no camera at the moment.
Anyways it's been a good long while, got a new rig and stuff.

IMAG0812_1_1.jpg

IMAG0774_1.jpg

Been a few years since I've posted here. Moved to a new studio apartment and bought new display, headphones and active speakers. I'm planning on buying a new black desk, but haven't found a sturdy enough one yet..

Very clean setup

Well mine was very simple, Tax Return! :D

3 things you can do to get a good gaming Rig.

1- Sell whatever you have collecting dust in your house or storage, you be very surprised your useless items are someone else treasure.

2- Stop spending money on bullshit, we all spend money on items that are later put away & never used again, save the money & buy PC parts start with a Case.

3- Hustle get that money!.:D

I was a Radar Tech (Fire Control). Now I'm an R&D Engineer in the 3D Printing Industry. Still no degree....lol. Experience is everything.
I hear you loud & clear on that! :D Inner City is all about connections real world survival! :cool: they sure don't teach you that in school...sad but true.

I have a Coronis Fusion 6MP at my work office. I use the old 3MP Barcos at home. We use GE Centricity and AMICAS mostly. You a Rad?

I have a Coronis Fusion 6MP at my work office. I use the old 3MP Barcos at home. We use GE Centricity and AMICAS mostly. You a Rad?

I'm working as a system administrator for a company that resells and integrate Fujifilm Synapse. I frequently help the workstation guys when they are all busy with the barco screens and diagnostics console.

I'm curious, how come you have so many SGI gear ? You used to use that in radiology or is it another hobby ?

Sinker... one thing to remember is your rate doesnt always matter when it comes to getting a good paying job out the gate. It might take a little extra work but you still have a leg up on those who have never served. I am a good example of that. I am a Aviation Ordnanceman and as you can imagine us red shirts do not have a lot of options in the civilian world. haha. That said I have "some college" at a local community college for Computer Information Systems but have yet to obtain an Associates Degree. I took a job as a costumer service rep when I was laid off in 2009 at a health insurance company and after a few years I am now an IT Quality Control Analyst. One of the reasons I was hired was because my job in the Navy required a high level of attention to detail... something that is needed for a systems tester.

Thats a long way of saying you will have more viable skills than you are aware of in terms of a job search. Go after something you want to do... dont go after something you are not passionate about just because you have always done it.

60E89E7B-7FF6-44EB-9275-60C7408A397F-1024-00000078F20E84A6_zps415cae07.jpg

/your life
LMAO!!!!...AAAUUUURRRRRHHHH!!! You! Biiiiittttttcccchhhhh! WWwwhat! DDddoooo! YYooouu! MMeeaann! IIIIIIiiii! CCcaannt! SSsppeenndd! SSsoommee! Oofff! MMyyyy HHhaarrdd! EEeaarrnn! MMmmoonnneeeyyyyy!!!! ...AAAUUUURRRRRHHHH!!!

I just finished my ITX Titan build. So far loving it. The case should last till I get my Ncase next year. :)

9540715545_cc243a638a_c.jpg

9543505122_8147848f1a_c.jpg

I love the PC-Q25. It's interesting to see it with its drive cage removed though, and I must say that your set up is very intriguing.

The only things I really hate about the PC-Q25 are the issues surrounding the power supply location, which you have eliminated for your purposes.

Isn't that a bit overkill as a PSU? Wouldn't a modular SFX PSU be more suitable?

Back