Post Your Workstations 2013

Set-up with my new keyboard. :D

DSC_0037-2_zps5594d635.jpg~original

What keyboard is that? :)

Thanks.

Looks like a KBT Pure mechanical keyboard. I have a (similar) KBT Race for sale in the FS/FT forum if you're interested ;)

I was trying to post more details yesterday but I was getting a 503 gateway timeout.

Anyways this is practically the cheapest (and crappiest) computer you could buy, but I already had it laying around so might as well use it. But given that for the past 3 days I have arrived to the office and it's been stuck on the PXE boot screen (the default option is boot from hard drive) it's got to go. It's a Foxconn A3700 AMD mini PC with the cheapest 40GB hard drive. I have a bunch of these and they all BSOD in Windows 7 while trying just to install Windows updates! Also under Windows 7 or 8 with any combination of drivers it always fails generating the windows score. Same thing happens in Windows 8. I thought it was the SSD but I've had them replaced and they continue to act up. The nice thing is that it's replaceable! I would get something like Intel i3 NUC and velcro it to the back of the monitor....

In terms of the display/touch screen this uses an optical technology. There are products with various levels of integration for e.g. InFocus Mondo Pad is a ready to go unit with display, touchscreen and PC in one housing. HP has a digital signage touchscreen display. All of these are limited to 2 simultaneous touches. With two touches I don't think you have a Genuine (R) Windows 8 (R) Certified Product (R) but with the correct drivers and settings (you can use it as a mouse on an unsupported OS for e.g.) Window 8 does see it as a touch screen, enables the touch keyboard exactly as on a tablet and enables the tablet PC control panel. Most importantly all the gestures work exactly as they do on a tablet. In my case I am using an overlay product from NextWindow: http://www.nextwindow.com/products/profiletouch2150.html The downside to this is with an unmodified display the touchscreen glass is a few mm above the display panel and in my case it is mounted too high on the wall which leads to a parallax effect. It's not horrible, but it's there. Also it's just a plain uncoated glass which leads to horrible glare (the instructions actually say to use glass cleaner). If I had any say in it I would debezel the monitor, remove the LCD coating and have a window tinting place put an anti-glare film on the glass (think massive iPhone screen protector)

7UuwEwU.jpg

i4EfJvZ.jpg

ETXObVF.jpg

The display is massively thick, about 6 inches, but the touchscreen only adds about .25 or .5 inch.

6HfZv6y.jpg

I wasn't exactly thrilled with any of the Windows 8 tablets on the market (the displays are rather small) so I did as anyone would and built my own:

2qdt.jpg

e5pf.jpg

I see you sprung for the translucent casters. They look great but I thought they only worked on hardwood floors so I didn't get them.

nope, work really well on the carpet. they are coated in a hard rubber that rolls well on both types of floors :)

edit: as long as I plan on having this chair, I wanted to get it with what i wanted. most likely our next house may have hardwood floors, so i wanted something that worked with both.

Last edited:
But they don't go obsolete within 2 years like computers :p An Embody chair is certainly a better purchase than e.g. a GeForce Titan.

ocbaud - welcome to the club!

:) thanks

Was looking at the steelcase leap originally as the price point was much better.

Sat in an embody that was being tried out at my old job and it was the most comfy chair i've ever sat in.

got some money recently and decided that a new chair was in order.
i've had back pain for the past 4 or so years that I don't think is going away, so a good chair is really needed for me.

wife said i might as well get the one i really wanted. only debate was on the color, which i'm happy with

Since we are all chatting about Herman Miller Chairs and what not..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNMn9gUl2kg&hd=1

My Miller that I adopted from the trash gets a $20 BMW M6 Headrest addition for use in my actual work, work-station / listening space.

Now officially more comfortable then anything I have sat in.

EDIT: Workstation Statistics.. That is a Beefy Dell found also in the trash, basically just sits there and plays 150GB of flac through foobar to a Behringer UCA202 Dac and into my hand-me-down Pioneer VSX-D1S and my make-shift Dayton B652 Stack and dual subs, 10" Passive Design Acoustics and 10" KLH Powered. Sounds amazing.

Last edited:
Since we are all chatting about Herman Miller Chairs and what not..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNMn9gUl2kg&hd=1

My Miller that I adopted from the trash gets a $20 BMW M6 Headrest addition for use in my actual work, work-station / listening space.

Now officially more comfortable then anything I have sat in.

EDIT: Workstation Statistics.. That is a Beefy Dell found also in the trash, basically just sits there and plays 150GB of flac through foobar to a Behringer UCA202 Dac and into my hand-me-down Pioneer VSX-D1S and my make-shift Dayton B652 Stack and dual subs, 10" Passive Design Acoustics and 10" KLH Powered. Sounds amazing.
That room is ghetto mod central. You have to submit the chair in the ghetto mod thread. I'll rate it 5+ food stamps.

It was an ex-bedroom turned storage room for years that I took over strictly for projects.. Then one project was some speaker building and it stayed like that and now I do all my builds/projects in there and it looks like that. Everything at my fingertips.

Note the video is labeled Mad Science Hour.

Part of the "magic" of the Embody chair is that you don't feel like you need neck and head support when sitting in it. The backfit positions your spine in such a way that your head is always at a neutral level, I never get tired when sitting in mine.

WoW! :eek: Over 3 hours!? are you serious? was this your first time ever? Ikea are the easiest product to build especially with manual.....:confused:

This is a big desk. And I am not in the habit or building one every day. Am serious, it took me 3 hours. The desk was delivered at 4.30pm, I was finished at 9pm.

Going to have to go to a bigger desk as I want to add a secondary monitor but this does the job for now:

0dr.jpg

2libloy.jpg

Work laptop and gaming machine - crappy glass desk.
Desktop is an I5 2nd gen, 8GB, SSD, 460GTX, Win 7

iw2byp.jpg

Theatre for gaming, movies and long work calls.

HTPC - 3rd gen I5, 8GB, SSD, 650 GTX, Win 8 ($30, tiles are good at viewing distance)
Projector - Epson 3020

contantly changing audio set up

new BIG Deal change got this onkyo stack for $25 bahaha (dual mono 100WPC M-5030 amp and P-3030 pre + T-4087 and problematic atm (not pictured EQ-35) all for $25

also got these JBL J2050 speakers in really nice shape for $40 and what else?? $20 yamaha C-60 pre / $19.99 Pioneer CT-M6R changer and $19.99 Denon DRA-545R receiver (65WPC... very desk friendly size excellent bass totally worth picking up for a pc based stereo audio set up... ) Denon works really good w/ harmony remotes also as added bonus

pc still sandy bridge i5-2500k //12GB ram and a HD7950 ... may go haswell i7 just to upgrade my wife's computer to this I5 from the C2D she is still using however shortly.

so yeah without further ado pics...

this Onkyo is so no joke it is incredible... so much awesome for $25 as well... I am so lucky and also pretty dang happy atm.

atarione, you suck! :D

Nice scores!

thanx

oh check out this monster Pioneer i got for $30~ the at the same time I got the $25 Onkyo stack

this VSX-D1S 135watts.... this thing is the real deal also the build quality is very good and this one is pretty dang minty.

I have it hooked up to my htpc in the bedroom speakers are my $20 B&W V202's also in that shot you can see my $60 B&O RL60.2's (both set's of speakers are very good indeed.)

my favorite speakers are my $50 Klipsch KG 2.5's I think however have them hooked up to the TV in the living room.

thanx

oh check out this monster Pioneer i got for $30~ the at the same time I got the $25 Onkyo stack

this VSX-D1S 135watts.... this thing is the real deal also the build quality is very good and this one is pretty dang minty.

A damn steal at $30.. I have my fathers from way back in the day. Use it daily and recently it powered some of the Micca Motion MB42's for a review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iiA1_KQHcI&hd=1

thanx

If I remember right that was the top of the line for Pioneer for quite a while. Another nice score!

waiww6.jpg

Setup:
5x1P
8000x2560 powered by 2x AMD 7870 GHz Edition Crossfire
2x1P [sides] 1600x2560 powered by 1x Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT​

tbh peeps who ask why so many are obviously the ones that never really tried or made good use of multi monitor set ups. in my opinion you can never have enough

Back