Post your workstations 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate your input, ill buy one this weekend. These floors are newly finished and it would be a total bummer to ruin them. Thanks for picking up on this! :)

can I make a recommendation sir?

I also have a hardwood floor.. I also have an office chair with plastic wheels - just like yours. :)

get a mat on that floor ASAP! those plastic wheels chew thru the varnish quicker than you care to think & before you know it, the nice floor will need a re-sand & seal. :( I talk from experience - took my chair only ~12 months to make the floor look like crap.. @ 18 months it pretty much was down to bare wood :eek:

:thumbup:

can I make a recommendation sir?

I also have a hardwood floor.. I also have an office chair with plastic wheels - just like yours. :)

get a mat on that floor ASAP! those plastic wheels chew thru the varnish quicker than you care to think & before you know it, the nice floor will need a re-sand & seal. :( I talk from experience - took my chair only ~12 months to make the floor look like crap.. @ 18 months it pretty much was down to bare wood :eek:

:thumbup:

Wow. I used a chair with plastic wheels on a hardwood floor for almost 3 years. I'd say it might have something to do with the quality of the floor. I'm a pretty big dood and after that period of time the floor only had a few slight groove marks, no real finish wear.

Wow. I used a chair with plastic wheels on a hardwood floor for almost 3 years. I'd say it might have something to do with the quality of the floor. I'm a pretty big dood and after that period of time the floor only had a few slight groove marks, no real finish wear.

quality of the floor? lulz - you realise you're talking to a pro timber floor layer? ;) - you can have the highest quality varnish - sand + those plastic wheels = mayhem

the only way you could get away with it, is if you don't bring sand inside, ie take of shoes etc

groove marks? was it a real wood floor (not that fake laminate crap that people think is wood :rolleyes:

I appreciate your input, ill buy one this weekend. These floors are newly finished and it would be a total bummer to ruin them. Thanks for picking up on this! :)

no probs, glad I can help - make sure it is something with a 'soft' under-side - don't get those stiff plastic mat things. If you are low on cash, a cheap remedy would be a carpet remnant, upside-down ;) :thumbup:

Good looking out, any idea what floor matts are good and at what retail stores IE: Office Max, Staples, Home Depot etc. that they can be found?

no probs, glad I can help - make sure it is something with a 'soft' under-side - don't get those stiff plastic mat things. If you are low on cash, a cheap remedy would be a carpet remnant, upside-down ;) :thumbup:

those plastic floor mats are not cheap! however, IKEA has some that are reasonably priced (i think $20?). they can be found at the office supply stores that you listed.

those plastic floor mats are not cheap! however, IKEA has some that are reasonably priced (i think $20?). they can be found at the office supply stores that you listed, but they aren't cheap.

A lot cheaper than having to refinish the hardwoods (see below). ;)

quality of the floor? lulz - you realise you're talking to a pro timber floor layer? ;) - you can have the highest quality varnish - sand + those plastic wheels = mayhem

the only way you could get away with it, is if you don't bring sand inside, ie take of shoes etc

groove marks? was it a real wood floor (not that fake laminate crap that people think is wood :rolleyes:

QFT! My last house had beautiful, 50 year old hardwood flooring. I bought it from a family who sold it after the parents passed away. I had the floors restored, refinished, re-everything. It still wasn't enough protection from the front wheels of my wheelchair. Over my three years there, the small urethane casters carved grooves everywhere I rolled. I had to have the floors refinished again ($4000 :eek:) before I sold the house. Definitely invest in some kind of smooth, soft mat or even just flat throw rug for your workstation area.

Lesson learned for my new place. Scored concrete floor, FTW!! :D

Last edited:
Good looking out, any idea what floor matts are good and at what retail stores IE: Office Max, Staples, Home Depot etc. that they can be found?

mmmm.. I can't think of any right now :( I changed out my office chair for a normal dining chair with felt underneath.. plus it's, ah, 2345 hrs over here so I can't think for the life of me :D I'll get back to you tomorrow.. in the mean time - think SOFT - it has to absorb..... picture a grain of sand stuck between the hardwood floor & a hard/stiff plastic mat..& then the mat moves.. the grain of sand is just going to scraped along as well - not cool. ;)

I just moved Nov. 1 and had the wood parquet floors redone at the new place in late October. They look good -- I'm happy with the result -- but my wife is incredibly paranoid about any sort of damage to them. Family-wise, the old floorss were better.

Right now, my desk chair is on a grooved industrial mat. I doesn't work very well. I think I'm going to get some Flor carpet tiles and use them to demarcate my work space.

It was in my basement. It was engineered oak hardwood, not laminate. I have laminate in my new basement. Not all laminate is crap, again it is holding up to my chair with no mat just fine.
By groove marks I meant slight and small indents, most likely from the plastic wheels. Barely noticeable. I also should note I sit in my chair, roll into my corner desk and roll out to get out of the chair. I'm not going back and forth all day long. My dog running around on the floors does far more damage than my chair ever could.

Well I am finally going to contribute to this lovely forum after seeing all your beautiful setups. My setup has been changing throughout the years and here is a glimpse of my setups growth til today.
High school years:

High school years cleaned up a little

College years

College years

College years

Engaged Life

Engaged Life

Engaged Life

Engaged Life

Engaged Life

Engaged Life

Engaged Life

Last edited:

see below

those plastic floor mats are not cheap! however, IKEA has some that are reasonably priced (i think $20?). they can be found at the office supply stores that you listed.

ok, so I just asked Dad (its a family business :) Dad is boss, him & I lay the floors :) )
apparently those mats that myelin1 mentioned should suffice.

if you have some $ to spare, you can/should be abe to actually change out the wheels for some nice some rubber/poly urethane castors.

or there is this.. may even suit you BostonHXC:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSTON-C...?pt=US_NCAA_Fan_Shop&var=&hash=item99acf4fb08

Well I am finally going to contribute to this lovely forum after seeing all your beautiful setups. My setup has been changing throughout the years and here is a glimpse of my setups growth til today.

I was expecting to see one that said married life and have one monitor and a laptop or something really basic. Nice setups and a plus for the anime.

NICE! It just so happens that I am a huge BC football fan!

see below

ok, so I just asked Dad (its a family business :) Dad is boss, him & I lay the floors :) )
apparently those mats that myelin1 mentioned should suffice.

if you have some $ to spare, you can/should be abe to actually change out the wheels for some nice some rubber/poly urethane castors.

or there is this.. may even suit you BostonHXC:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSTON-C...?pt=US_NCAA_Fan_Shop&var=&hash=item99acf4fb08

I was expecting to see one that said married life and have one monitor and a laptop or something really basic. Nice setups and a plus for the anime.

+1 this, LOL!!

Great setups though, and nice job with the timeline.

+1 this, LOL!!

Great setups though, and nice job with the timeline.

rofl me too, was quite surprised to see it continue to grow!

Here's my desk at work

GcPX2ZWr

rofl to be honest when I decided to move in with my fiance i was thinking id minimize my setup, but she respects my interest and doesnt mind it as long as she can use the livingroom tv setup. I somewhat downsized the amount of monitors though but thats about it.

High school years:

Engaged Life

hey! i've got that desktop wallpaper tooooo!

bor5K.jpg

High school years:

What is that under the desk during the "high school years"?

Did some much needed and long wanted cable management for my desk....

Two displays, speakers, headset, keyboard, mouse, ipod dock, card reader, router, modem, etc....TONS of wires to say the least.

Used to have them hidden with a could shelves from Ikea but they got annoying after I got a new office chair that let me sit closer to the desk itself....

DSC00669.jpg

DSC_2131-1.jpg

Got a nice cable channel from Doug Mockett to route all the wires at the back edge of the desk:

http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/wire-cable-management/wire-managers/wm2.html

And a 2" solid metal cable grommet for the keyboard and mouse wires:

http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/wire-cable-management/metal/mm3.html

Using these cable clamps on the underside of the desk for my card reader, the keyboard and mouse cables, and headset wires. They are nice because they are adhesive backed and can be opened and closed indefinitely.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=58863&cat=3,58955,58974&ap=1

Ran new cable RJ6 wire with a nice 90 adapter as well.....

Got a bunch of wires from Monoprice as well. A couple power cables for the monitor in 10' and 15' length. USB extenders for the keyboard and mouse, etc.....

Also got a retrofit plug for the surge protector to cut and shorten the power cable on it.

FINAL RESULT:

DSC_2525.jpg

DSC_2524.jpg

DSC_2132.jpg

Got a nice cable channel from Doug Mockett to route all the wires at the back edge of the desk:
http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/wire-cable-management/wire-managers/wm2.html

And a 2" solid metal cable grommet for the keyboard and mouse wires:
http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/wire-cable-management/metal/mm3.html

Using these cable clamps on the underside of the desk for my card reader, the keyboard and mouse cables, and headset wires. They are nice because they are adhesive backed and can be opened and closed indefinitely.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=58863&cat=3,58955,58974&ap=1
Thanks for the links!

Engaged Life
[/QUOTE]

Man i will wait years to see what divorce life is like lol. Probably a empty table =P

The magnetic field from stereo equipment is orders of magnitude too weak to interfere with a harddrive... :D

long time lurker first time poster:

img0475zn.jpg

img0476vu.jpg

Free file cabinet, my desktop ( Intel Q6600, gigabyte board 8 GB ram, ATI 5750, 250gb boot drive dual 640gb storage drives)

img0477kt.jpg

img0478yv.jpg

My "workbench"

img0484nk.jpg

Mac Mini is headless hooked up to my TV and I remote desktop to it.

img0479v.jpg

My tools for pc repair and some cables to hook up a desktop to repair.

img0480fy.jpg

Dlink DGL 4500 cable modem and my rocketfish power manager w/ noise filtering (I work for Best Buy and get a good discount on accessories well used to at least thanks a lot corporate)

img0481m.jpg

Smasung 46A650 bought when the B series came out and got an even better discount, the blu ray is some Yamaha that was a Magnolia (high end for BBY) open box eol clearance. I think I paid about $40 for it.

img0483uv.jpg

we get a really bad and weak signal in the area so I needed to add some amplifiers to my cable which I redid myself.

img0486gf.jpg

storage for all my cables, accessories, spare parts, etc.

should work now

Last edited:
Yes. It seems that all of them are "broken."

Actually, right-clicking on the images and selecting "open the image in new tab" seemed to work for me.

Last edited:
this is my workstation: I don't get anything done on my xpc cube because it's too easy to fire up steam and game away for hours...I have no self control.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

@billmoney-

You need to insert your images using the image URL and not the imageshack web page.

So "http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4907/img0476vu.jpg" vs "http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/img0476vu.jpg/"

Behold; my humble "work"station. Other than grad school and paying bills, not a whole lot of work happens here. Especially now that Skyrim is loaded on my SSD: (sorry for the grainy cell phone pic)
IMAG0350-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back