Post your Workstation 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
desk1.jpg

What desk is this? I love its simplicity.

Heres the setup in the last rental house we will ever be in (in theory :D) my wife and I just bought our first home together. The desk did have a glass keyboard and mouse tray but both sliders were getting really stiff and during our last move we actually lost a few bearings off the slider on the one side. I'm enjoying using the desk for the keyboard and mouse quite a bit more then a slider that hardly functions, but it really makes me want to get a decent wireless keyboard and mouse. Haven't set my sights on a keyboard yet but I'm leaning towards a RAT9 mouse.

Got the Logitech Z-2300 speakers tucked being the monitors. Got the monitors from Staples on sale for $130 each, 1080p LED monitors, been really happy with them as well for the cost.

BEWARE the chair in this picture. I had the *exact* same chair. After two years, I was leaning back on the chair, and the backrest snapped clean off!!! It wasn't the metal L bracket that broke, it was the sheet of wood that you bolt the back onto. Turns out it's PRESSBOARD with some butterfly screw mounts pressure set into it.

Atlantis was good, but I just couldnt connect with the characters as well as I could with sg-1.

BEWARE the chair in this picture. I had the *exact* same chair. After two years, I was leaning back on the chair, and the backrest snapped clean off!!! It wasn't the metal L bracket that broke, it was the sheet of wood that you bolt the back onto. Turns out it's PRESSBOARD with some butterfly screw mounts pressure set into it.

Thank for the warning! I dont plan on using this chair for long term. I am going to replace it with a high back chair. Im not too impressed with the quality of this chair, and I am not surprised at all that happened to your chair!

I really wish they did another season of Universe =[

Pretty disappointing that they aren't going any further with Universe, I thought it had lots of potential when it first started, definitely enjoyed Season 1 more then Season 2. Too bad they won't be releasing Season 2 on Blu-ray anytime soon, at least I have some mkvs for Season 2.

Crappy cell phone picture.

Finally got my LCD arms and my new chair in!

HdvKw.jpg

LCDs are 23, 24, and 26in (the 26 is the vertical one - it has 1920x1200 res)
The tablet is a Samsung Series 7 Slate running Win8 Dev Preview
Chair is a Steelcase Leap in leather
Desks are Bush Series A

Tidied my uni room a bit. Living in a 5 bedroom house with my girlfriend and 3 of my flatmates from last year. Unfortunately, one of the rooms is not like the others... in the fact it's bucking tiny!!! Still £350 a month though.

Room is 2.4m x 2.3m (not including built in wardobe out of shot to the left. Other half and I have the biggest bedroom in the house that also has the en-suite to make up for it though :D

Got 2 x Dell Ultrasharp U2311H's hooked up both in dual screen mode to both systems. Top system is DVI, bottom is VGA (No DisplayPort capable Graphics Cards)

Both hooked up to a gigabit switch which is then hooked up to a 802.11n wireless router which handles all the top floor and middle floor traffic. Cat5e Cable to the bottom floor router which is hooked up to the ADSL line (16Mbit down 1Mbit up) and also handles bottom floor traffic. This stops any congestion if they're trying to stream video or download and I'm trying to copy between computers.

Top rig is a Core i3 2015, Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3, 8GB Corsair RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX460 768MB, Corsair 600W PSU, and a Fractal Design Core 1000 case. 2 x 1TB HDD's and a 240GB Sandisk SSD. It has Windows 7 Professional and OS X 10.7.2 dual boot.

Bottom Rig is a Core i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz, Nocta DH-14 cooler, Asus P6T Workstation Professional, OCZ 6GB RAM, NVIDIA 8500GT 512MB, 800W PSU, Thermaltake Armour Full Tower case. 6 x 1TB HDD's 1 x 146GB 15,500RPM SAS HDD, 74GB 15,500RPM SAS HDD.

Laptop - soon to be replaced. Core 2 Duo 1.4GHz w/ 2/4MB cache, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GS, 500GB HDD, 1440x900 display w/ external 17" 1280x1024 display.

(New laptop, Core i5 2410, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT540m, 750GB HDD, 1366x768 display (Possible DIY upgrade to 1080p display if I can find the a display from the model up)

Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers.

IKEA Galant 1600mm x 800mm desks coming soon.
Dell U2410 or U2711 in the future.
Yamaha AS-500 amp, Wharfedale 9.1 speakers and subwoofer after the screens.

Then all I have to do is get a Socket 2011 system with some Ive Bridge E and Kepler and I'll be all set! ... I'll probably be finished uni by the time that happens ):

EDIT EDIT EDIT - PHOTO RESIZED - NO LONGER 1:1 SCALE

Last edited:
@Work
*snip*

Hey, I think I have that same monitor that you have in the middle. Please don't be offended, but I absolutely despise it. Can't tune the color or contrast worth beans... about the only thing it's good for is black text on white backgrounds (or vice versa). When I highlight cells in excel, the light blue doesn't even show up everything is so washed out. I put a good half hour into tuning it and gave up. After looking up the price online I was appalled. I sure hope my company got a good deal on these things because they're standard issue. I could do better with $100 at best buy :eek: Just curious: what are your thoughts? Maybe I'm just doing it wrong...

Anyway, grats on actually posting a real "workstation" in this thread. Thumbs up.

I just decided to bring back my second U2410 to my setup. I was also thinking of making a custom stand for the 20" Dell and put it under the middle monitor almost laying on the table. I ignored the idea though, when I realized how much space it would have taken.

Heres the setup with just one U2410:

Datanurkka23.jpg

And now with the second U2410 added:

Datanurkka25.jpg

HPIM2051.jpg

no those arent all of my pc games

What's the name of that TV stand holding all the games? I love the setup you have there and would like to do something like that with mine.

I thought maybe it was a Z-Line Design TV stand, but none of them look quite like it.

Belkin modded with Cherry MX Brown switches. I'm not a fan of it anyway so it doesn't get much use.

How did you manage to mod browns in there? I've been intrigued...lol.

I use mine a lot actually, I find it much easier on my wrist when I play longer hours of games.

I just decided to bring back my second U2410 to my setup. I was also thinking of making a custom stand for the 20" Dell and put it under the middle monitor almost laying on the table. I ignored the idea though, when I realized how much space it would have taken.

Heres the setup with just one U2410:

Datanurkka23.jpg

And now with the second U2410 added:

Datanurkka25.jpg

Ok your screens I have always wondered how people get those translucent windows. I love how that looks but never asked anyone how they did it. I like a plan simple desktop just havent achieved it.

Not all programs can do transparent windows. Those two showing are Foobar 2000 with DarkOne 2.x theme, and Putty Tray.

Hey, I think I have that same monitor that you have in the middle. Please don't be offended, but I absolutely despise it. Can't tune the color or contrast worth beans... about the only thing it's good for is black text on white backgrounds (or vice versa). When I highlight cells in excel, the light blue doesn't even show up everything is so washed out. I put a good half hour into tuning it and gave up. After looking up the price online I was appalled. I sure hope my company got a good deal on these things because they're standard issue. I could do better with $100 at best buy :eek: Just curious: what are your thoughts? Maybe I'm just doing it wrong...

Anyway, grats on actually posting a real "workstation" in this thread. Thumbs up.

please note i didn't pay for any of it :)

cvPq4l.jpg

vxKEVl.jpg

cy2lnl.jpg

8CtaMl.jpg

zSZCol.jpg

This is my desk in my bedroom/office. At 6' tall, my desk is constructed from 11 guage 1" square tubing, MIG welded by yours truly, and 1/2" MDF. The desk/shelving surfaces bolt onto the sides, allowing it to come apart in 6 different pieces so I could get it upstairs.

-The 42" LCD TV is hanging on custom mounts (I tried to show the mounts in one of the pictures) with centimeters to spare above and below it, and it's hooked up to everything except the laptop on the right (my Linux machine).
-The small tv on the left is coaxial'ed to the cable box, so I can still watch tv when I'm on my 42" Windows powered computer.
-The seat is a legit Scat racing chair with reclining back, mounted on a cheap office chair base. I built this desk to replace an ikea desk that made me feel like the walls were closing in (I didn't even have the 42" screen on the ikea desk).
-Excluding any possible desk space behind the 42", I have a 27" deep X 5' wide desk surface. Including the space the TV takes up, it's 33" deep X 5' wide (the tv mounts were welded with 1" square tubing, too). Each selving surface is 18" deep X 5' wide.
-The wires appear tidy (zip-tied to the back left pipe) untill you get to the power sources (two power strips, on underneath the desk surface (shown) and one behind the tv)
-The wicked cool leather rug - yes, I said leather - is only there to hide carpet stains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back