Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

Should be fine... the LCD doesn't get affected by the magnets, and the computer is plenty far enough from the sub. I tested myself :)

It takes a magnet on the order of ten times a MRI machine to mess with a hard drive. The problem is more vibration causing the head to end up in the wrong place (and it'll seek again to get to the right place) than magnetism.

Audio Aero Capitole MKII (sitting on Black Diamond Racing cones, Shunyata King Cobra V2 power cord) --> Nordost Frey RCA 1.5m --> Lamm M2.1 (sitting on Zoethecus Z-block amp stands, Nordost Valhalla power cords on the way) --> Nordost Frey 2m biwire speaker cable --> Revel Studios.

The Capitole MKII has 5 digital inputs and a built in tube preamp. One of my PCs (running amaroK on Linux) is connected with coax digital to the Capitole. The Capitole connects directly to the Lamm monoblocks, which are hybrid 200w monoblocks. Each amp has one 6922 vacuum tube in it, sandwiched in between solid state input and output stages. This is the second pair of Revel Studios I've owned. I stupidly sold my first pair when I moved a few years ago, and tried to get out of the whole audiophile game. I bought Bang & Olufsen, which looks spectacular, but didn't really provide any listening pleasure. After a long search, I decided that the Studios were still the best speaker in their price range to my ears, so I bought another pair.

The Revels, though very good, are likely the weak link in the system at this point, as far as major components go. My next major upgrade will most likely be speakers, to either Kharma Midi Exquisites, Avalon Isis, or Marten Design Coltranes. As you might guess from that list, I like ceramic drivers and diamond tweeters. Sadly, big upgrades have big price tags, so those aren't going to happen too soon.

As far as smaller upgrades, I think I'd like to swap out the King Cobra V2 power cord on the Capitole for the new Shunyata Anaconda Helix Vx, but I need to audition it again once the Valhallas are here for the amps. I'm hoping I can switch to all HRS vibration control for the system by the end of the year, and probably will upgrade my interconnects and speaker cables to some combination of Nordost Valhalla, Stealth Indra, and/or Jorma Prime sometime in 2007.

and here I thought there were some sick setups in the headphone thread. props! :)

Steve,

You probably have the hands down best system on this forum. Even my setup is humbled.

Pinipig,

Thanks for the compliment. It's been a long road to get here, as I'm sure you know. I was pretty familiar with the old Martin Logan line, but have only read about the Summits. What I've read makes it sound like they've fixed most, if not all, of the issues I had with the Prodigy, so I'm sure they sound great. You should be happy with them for a long time before the upgrade bug bites you. By the way, if you ever have a chance to try a good tube amp on the Logans, you should jump at it. To my ears, it really brings the panels to life.

What Pini,Steve and I posted are not really PC speakers,as no PC deserves even half this resolution and quality. :p

Revel's Ultima line sound quite good,my next upgrade in speakers will be decided but so far I have a winner,it may very well be the B&W's Nautilus 800 Signature.As expensive as these babies are they have little serious rivals and I prefer them to Wilson's WATT /PUPPY I heard.Not only heard but tested for a whole week listening to my favorite audiophool approved CD/SACD colletion.

Ah audio,a passion that is many many times more expensive than any home ubber gaming PC. :mad: :D

biohazard_nz said:
Dude you are going to die if you dont get some walls. Pink bats = very bad.
It's covered in plastic, I don't right next to it, I don't move it around or anything (ie: it's not like I install it for a living)

I feel the same as I did when I first moved down here.

bjornb17 said:
LOL you posted a pic like that a while back and i thought the lack of drywall was just temporary
It is.

Temporary just means a bit more longer than what most people think.

I want one of those harmon kardon receiver, but only the mid-high end ones has A/B speakers hehe dang it! :p

Here is my newA/V and Compy Setup

Big Overall View
http://webpages.charter.net/wesleyc_1/NewEntertainment/BigShot.jpg

A Little Closer Picture
http://webpages.charter.net/wesleyc_1/NewEntertainment/Closer.jpg

Closeup of my A/V Gear
http://webpages.charter.net/wesleyc_1/NewEntertainment/Equipment.jpg

Ghetto Surround, KLH Model 460 Indoor/Outdoor speakers, wired in a modified Hafler ambience circuit.
http://webpages.charter.net/wesleyc_1/NewEntertainment/GhettoSurround.jpg

Closeup of TV and Receiver, I also thought it was cool that the song "Our House" (is a very, very, very fine house) came on while I was taking pictures.
http://webpages.charter.net/wesleyc_1/NewEntertainment/OurHouse.jpg

EDIT : 8-12-06 My beautiful sounding Pioneer has gone kafluey replaced by a Carver C-5 Preamp and a Samson Servo 260 Amplifier.
http://webpages.charter.net/wesleyc_1/NewEntertainment/New Equipment.jpg

Here is where the PC fits in, Off to the side like this is not Ideal, but I've lived with it off to the side for years, it seems to work OK for my needs, and it's connected the the receiver, via the Tape 2 Jacks so I can Play and Record with My PC.
http://webpages.charter.net/wesleyc_1/NewEntertainment/PC.JPG

Note: I'm using my "$61 PC" I'm too lazy to link to the thread right now
Gear:
Pioneer SX-1250 Receiver (Amp has gone Kafluey :( Retired for now)
Carver C-5 PReamp with Sonic Holography
Samson Servo 260 Power Amplifier 130 Watts x2
JVC Color Video Monitor TM-270SU
Two Gemini XL-DD30 turntables
Panasonic PV-9450 VCR
Sony TC-WR635S Cassette Deck
Pioneer DV-250 DVD player
Motorola Digital Cable box (Need to ask for one with S-Video from Charter)
Two Daisy-Chained A/V Selector Boxes
Paradigm Phantom Speakers (version 2)
KLH Model 460 Speakers (Surround)
Monster Cable and Rockford Fosgate Audio Interconnects
Video Interconnects are whatever cheapo cables I had laying around.
Subwoofer is out of the system for right now, I will edit this post if that changes

The JVC has a fairly flat tube, Being made in 1993 this well predates the popular flat tube TVs of Today.

BSOD4U2 said:
What Pini,Steve and I posted are not really PC speakers,as no PC deserves even half this resolution and quality. :p

Revel's Ultima line sound quite good,my next upgrade in speakers will be decided but so far I have a winner,it may very well be the B&W's Nautilus 800 Signature.As expensive as these babies are they have little serious rivals and I prefer them to Wilson's WATT /PUPPY I heard.Not only heard but tested for a whole week listening to my favorite audiophool approved CD/SACD colletion.

Ah audio,a passion that is many many times more expensive than any home ubber gaming PC. :mad: :D

Ear,

You need to bump that to the BW800D.. those things were smoking. I probably believe you when you say you liked it better than the $24,000 Wilson WP7, but remember, the $28,000 WP8 is out now. Oh.. and I should mention that I actually like the $12,000 Wilson Sophia 1 better than the WP7 - though I havent heard the $14,000 Wilson Sophia 2s yet.

Steve,

Wish I was close to your place, but I'm a third a country away... someday I should stop by and listen to your system. Thanks for the invite!! :p

Joey

I think the B&W D series are a pretty big step up from the old Nautilus as well. I haven't listened to them with any equipment I'd consider owning (but then, the list of equipment I'd consider owning at this point is *very* small), but I did briefly consider the 802Ds when I was speaker shopping last yet. B&W's diamond tweeter isn't in the same league as the Accuton one (the one used by Marten, Kharma, Avalon, and a few others), but the parts cost on the Accuton tweeters is over $5k a pair, so by necessity they're only used in very expensive speakers. Even taking that into consideration, the B&W tweeter is a big leap forward from the previous Nautilus speakers. Based on what I've heard, I'd take the 802Ds over the old Nautilus 800s. I still hope someday to own a pair of the original Nautilus speakers (the snail shell looking ones), but that's more for their sculptural appearance than their sound.

I have yet to hear a Wilson speaker that I thought sounded anywhere near good enough to justify the price. I'd have considered the WP7 at 75% off, but any higher than that just isn't worth it. They do bass and dynamics well, and to my ear, little else. This may be harsh, but I look at Wilson as a high end Bose. They have this reputation for being the "best", and charge significantly more for the speaker than can be justified by its sound quality. I haven't heard the X-2s or Sophias, so my perspective on the high and low end of their line is missing. I can't imagine choosing the Watt/Puppy over the Avalon Eidolon or the Kharma 3.2, but I do recognize that everyone does have different sonic preferences. The WP8 has priced itself into Dynaudio Temptation and Sound Lab U-1 territory, and I just can't imagine it would compete there.

My main reason for choosing the Revels again is that they seem to have less of a sonic signature than just about anything else in the price range, and using top end electronics, the sound of the source and amplifiers really shines through. They're slightly cool and lean sounding, but just slightly, and the warmth and richness of the Audio Aero and Lamm gear completely solves the problem.

Joey, too bad you're not closer. It always seems like there are never enough audiophiles around.

Pini,

Wilson Audio speakers are overpriced,I do not care how uncolored these speakers are and that they use composite materials for the cabinet.

B&W 's Nautilus line is close and costs way less,and how about Revel's Ultima line? Another example you can get world class souynd with the Salon for much less than the WattPuppy asking price.

And Dynaudio's Confidence line,absolute reference class when matched with SImAudio's MOON line.Again know how,parts and finish quality beyond reproach at much less than competing WilsonAudio products.

I will go Nautilus 800,yes with the diamond dome tweeter and the new top of the line center they have.Its a total beast and the most capable center I have ever seen and listened to.Nearly full range and capable of matching the 800's perfectly.At 205lbs it raises the owner status too ;)

Deusfaux said:

Hey deusfaux

just noticed you had a z-5500 setup as well. i was wondering what speaker stands you used, and what arrangement you used to attach the rear speakers to the stands? Or are they just sitting on there. Kinda hard to see from your pics. And yeah I hope that sub wont mess up the hard drive at that distance.Mine is around 15 inches from the nearest edge of the sub to the nearest edge of the tower so I hope it'll be fine :)

Thanks

Heheh the acer craptop... to much trouble it has been eh?

My speaker setup is like exactly the same, substitute X 530's :p

the best setup i had was the rear speakers on my chair :eek:

Hey Joey! What's up?

Well, they're alright for the price I paid for them ($150). Better than my old Promedia 2.1s.

I wonder how the sats compare to the ones used in the ultras? Those look like RSX4's or something???

xref said:
Hey Joey! What's up?

Well, they're alright for the price I paid for them ($150). Better than my old Promedia 2.1s.

They're "alright" only?

Uh oh... we have a budding audiophile among us. :p

OC_LeGeND said:
On top of the desk:

Under The Desk:

two 10" 1100w Sony Explode Subs

A little much for a computer eh?

I'm just jealous. I have mine hooked up to my mini stero. I really need better sound:(

OEM said:

I'm just jealous. I have mine hooked up to my mini stero. I really need better sound:(

You're jealous of a pair of 2" no-name speakers with subs that aren't even hooked up to anything.

OEM said:

LOL

Who can be jealous of two ordinary woofers placed on the ground? Even if you had a muscular power amp,the bk wave would cancel the fron wave,a great joke nothing more.
This is cancellation at its finest.

At least show TC Sounds woofers,hthis will be impressive.

UPDATE!!!!!
Just got in the Infinity Primus C25 :D :D
These speakers are SICK!! :eek:
100_1651.jpg

Next on the list
authorizedelectronics_1899_1203587.jpg

The bookshelfs will be moved to the back and then I'll add a sub.

^ Then after that you get a bigger moniter to match the size of your speakers better :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back