Post your retro hardware.

Something more old-school, an XT clone from Leading Edge:

Intel 8088 processor - 4.77MHz/8MHz switchable
640K RAM
20 MB harddisk - MFM interface
CGA and mono graphics built-in

It looks like I'm at the picture limit, so for insides click here.

This was my first PC. Leading Edge Model d. Ours had a 30meg hdd. We put a 2400 baud modem and a 16 bit ISA VGA card in its 8bit slot and it worked. *yup, we had VGA on that sucker*

This was my first PC. Leading Edge Model d. Ours had a 30meg hdd. We put a 2400 baud modem and a 16 bit ISA VGA card in its 8bit slot and it worked. *yup, we had VGA on that sucker*

When playing around with this one, I slapped a 1MB ISA card into one of the 8-bit slots. I'll have to do that again (it got stuffed into a 486 afterwards, IIRC) if I decide to play with it anymore, as I lost the necessary cable to plug into the only CGA compatible monitor I have. :(

Some old 3dfx video cards!

3dfxprotogroupshottopanjt7.jpg

Cool! I always liked my voodoo3, it ran HL1 just fine, and if driver support wasn't crap it could have probably ran HL2 with all settings on low...

Retro hardware? First computer was a VIC-20 followed by a C-64, tinkered around with an Atari 400 for a bit before falling away from computers for several years (hotrods and chicks will do that) a longtime GF conned me into buying a Packard Bell 486SX and it was all downhill from there since.

First PC- Packard Bell 486-50 SX/2 with 4MB of ram and 2400 modem with 340 mb HD. When I got rid of it, 14.4k modem, 12 mb ram and 486/100 Overdrive CPU. Was a good little box, never gave me a lick of problem.

The one old school box I still have that is 98% original is a Desktop case unit with PA-2007 (one meg cache) motherboard running a 233MMX at 266 (75mhz bus) with 64 MB EDO ram, a Hercules Dynamite ET-6000, Diamond Monster Voodoo Graphics, Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 (ISA), US Robitics 33.3 modem, Western Digital HD (1 gig) and 8 speed CD-ROM. Except for the CD-ROM it is just as I purchased and assembled back in 1997. Fast little bugger too, gets into Windows 95b in about 18 seconds after hitting the power.

I don't have pics but I have a geforce 3 ti200 back at home in a PC that finally died last year that my parents used. I also have a voodoo 3 graphics card sitting next to me.

oh my... leading edge! I remember having a leading edge pc...

Too bad I threw out all my 'retro' hardware a bout year ago when I moved, I would have had some nice stuff to contribute.

Here is an older picture of my Amiga 3000 Tower. I'll hook it up and play some classic Amiga games every year or so.
amiga3k.jpg

I've got some really old stuff lying around; the oldest functional PC I have is a p2 333 with 192mb of ram, GF2MX and an old SB64 AWE ISA card. I also dug up 2 AGP voodoo5's, a voodoo2 and an old token ring ISA ethernet card. I used to have a trident PCI card and voodoo1, but they seem to have disappeared. I really wanted to keep the voodoo1 as it was the first real 3d card I had (I don't count the s3 virge POS that I had for 2 months prior). I can still remember the first time I fired up GLquake and my jaw about hit the floor.

My first computer was a Tandy 1000, 6mhz 8088 with 512k of ram and 2 5.25" floppys. Wish I still had it, I'd stuff some modern guts in.

edit: Actually that's not true. Before that I had a radio shack computer that plugged into the TV and was programmed in Basic; it wasn't x86 and used tapes to load programs (which I think I ended up recording over most of them and using them for music). It actually might still be in that attic at my parent's house, I'll have to see if I can find it next time I'm there.

Used to have alot of retro Mac's but we ended up just recycling them. This is the oldest one left and still is used by my mother full time. I know its not that old...

PowerPC G4 733MHz
1GB PC133 RAM (originally 128MB)
Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB (originally Nvidia GeForce 2MX 32MB)
Gigabit Ethernet
Mac OS X Leopard (originally OS X 10.0.4)

Still to this day my absolute favorite case.. ever. If Apple does one thing right, it is hardware design. Nobody even comes close.

fc655379.jpg

372329fc.jpg

87f0364c.jpg

2bf2b812.jpg

daf7e711.jpg

Something more old-school, an XT clone from Leading Edge:

Intel 8088 processor - 4.77MHz/8MHz switchable
640K RAM
20 MB harddisk - MFM interface
CGA and mono graphics built-in

It looks like I'm at the picture limit, so for insides click here.

That's amazing. My father had the same Leading Edge 8088. I remember playing Space Quest 3 on it in all its hercules monochrome graphics glory.

Oldest PC I still have in the house is a Dell OPtiplex GX1

400Mhz Intel Pentium II
256MB PC100 SDRAM
40GB Seagate HDD
40x CD-ROM
Integrated ATi 3D Rage Pro 2x AGP
Integrated Audio
Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Used to have alot of retro Mac's but we ended up just recycling them. This is the oldest one left and still is used by my mother full time. I know its not that old...

PowerPC G4 733MHz
1GB PC133 RAM (originally 128MB)
Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB (originally Nvidia GeForce 2MX 32MB)
Gigabit Ethernet
Mac OS X Leopard (originally OS X 10.0.4)

Still to this day my absolute favorite case.. ever. If Apple does one thing right, it is hardware design. Nobody even comes close.

Yeah, I really like those G4 cases too, despite them having a lot of plastic on them.

I had an old Micron Millennia that I just had recycled a few months back. My Dad had given it to me for use in college, and I held onto it long after, turning it into a Linux box when I did my first build. It was a 350 Mhz PII with 192 MB of RAM. Unfortunately I never took any pics of it, despite having it for probably a decade. :(

I won't put the G3 since it looks awful. its green and whitish instead of blue and white and i'm not done with it yet;)
Mac LC II (using the G3 Keyboard and Mouse plus VGA Adapter)
IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

Serial Mouse (i have no use for it-came with ADB keyboard for some reason)
IMG_0434.jpg

Extra ADB keyboard:
IMG_0480.jpg

Last edited:
Why do you want to see this junk? It makes me cringe just knowing it's still out there able to be powered on!
signature_alaskangeek.jpg

Why do you want to see this junk? It makes me cringe just knowing it's still out there able to be powered on!

I don't think this is the thread for you.

I also think you need to get out of my state, you're an embarrassment to Alaska.

to stay at least somewhat on-topic, I've another Laser XT in the attic, and I'm waiting to pay off some medical bills before I do an ITX build in a 1950s era Radiotelegraph I recovered from a mercury mine in Alaska : )

I don't think this is the thread for you.

I also think you need to get out of my state, you're an embarrassment to Alaska.

to stay at least somewhat on-topic, I've another Laser XT in the attic, and I'm waiting to pay off some medical bills before I do an ITX build in a 1950s era Radiotelegraph I recovered from a mercury mine in Alaska : )

That sounds sweet! don't forget pictures when you build it:D

I have a Asahi Pre-Production Powerbook 100. I will have to post pics tonight.

I will have to do it Monday. My batteries are dead and I leave town tomorrow.

these old cases have been kickin around in my closet for ages now. i had designs to mod them both, but school and work did wonders in sapping my ambition. the tower admittedly isn't that retro, but the at case next to it is.

oldcases.jpg

Compaq ProLiant 5500 - 4 processors - 550mhz each - 1gb RAM - 10x 18gb Ultra SCSIs

cp5500.jpg

That's awesome! It must be fun to play around with it. is the 1Gb RAM one stick or several sticks?

Back