Post Your Home File Server Specs

AMD RULES said:
ok...thanks for the info
Would an AThlon 64 3200+ with a gig of DDR2 ram be quick enough for a file server?
If you read the thread you created, the answer would be oh-so-obvious ;)

ndruw said:
If you read the thread you created, the answer would be oh-so-obvious ;)
lol.... :cool:
But my question is would Dual core be a waste of money for a file server?

AMD RULES said:
lol.... :cool:
But my question is would Dual core be a waste of money for a file server?
depends how you are serving files...

I have a machine that serves via FTP over SSL, as well as SSHFS, NFS, and CIFS (samba), here at college, but it runs on dual opteron 246's. Dual core would be effective there, as the cpu is very quick and can handle encryption easily.

A measly dual PIII 500Mhz can cope with doing plain FTP and CIFS sharing for me at home -- but doing anything encrypted (SSHFS, FTP/SSL) requires alot more CPU horsepower, and this machine will bog down quickly when doing those sorts of things.

So try to figure out how you are going to share files, and then choose accordingly. Since you can build yourself a reasonably cheap, dual core system these days, and since this is the [H] afterall, I say go for it :D
-cleric

Mine is a little slow but soon to be replaced.

celeron 2.7GHz
1 GB ddr
crappy compaq mobo with onboard vid
4x 250GB drives for storage
1x 20gb for OS
Server 2003 standard
Runs Symantec antivirus server, dhcp, and soon to be sage server.

Its going to get an upgrade as soon as I get off my butt to a amd64 3200+, asus a8n sli deluxe, 2gb ram, Server 2003 small business. Running symantec antivirus server, mom, sms, sagetv server, dhcp (maybe dns & domain)

AMD RULES said:
what would be better

64 3200+ with gig of ram

or

Sempron with 2GB Ram?

for a server?

IMHO, go for Sempron with 2 Gb since memory is more useful and Semprons are not wimpy when it come to speed.

Xilikon said:
IMHO, go for Sempron with 2 Gb since memory is more useful and Semprons are not wimpy when it come to speed.
really..hmmm.... does 2GB help over faster cpu?
which sempron would be best with 2GB?

A 2GHz one should be fine. Make sure it is at least a 256KB cache one. No point in going for 128KB L2.

Athalon 2000+, XP Pro, 2GB Crucial DDR, 2 160GB Segate 7200's, and I think it's got a GeForce4 AGP.

1.4 Tbird, 1gb ram, 2x160Gb seagate's, hardware raid 1.

I don't have a ton of space, but its mainly used for backups of important files from my other PCs in case of hard drive failure.

Since I recently upgraded the CPU in my main rig, the file server will be getting an upgrade soon... Here are the current specs for my file server.

Win 2K Pro (also use Ubuntu 6.06 Live CD)
AMD XP2200+
1GB generic ram - 512MB PC2700 & 512MB PC3200
Chaintech nForce2 Ultra 400
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (AGP)
Mylex SCSI controller with 256MB
1- Plextor 40x CD-ROM SCSI
1- Plextor 40x12x40x CD-RW SCSI
1- NEC DVD-RW IDE
1- 4GB Seagate Cheetah 10,000 rpm SCSI drive (OS)
6- 49GB Seagate 5-1/4" Full height SCSI drive (RAID 0) <--- mp3
2- 200GB Maxtor PATA drive (RAID 0) <--- video
1- HP DAT-72 SCSI tape drive
1- Intel Gigabit desktop ethernet card
Enermax 850W power supply
Generic Cube Case w/6-120mm fans

When I can locate a decent s939 board with onboard video at a great price... an Opteron 148, 1GB Mushkin PC3500 (BH5) and a water cooling system will move into the cube server case.

AMD RULES said:
wow...nice :D

Can you limit the replies here since it's considered spam to reply to each and every server setup listed.

Xilikon said:
Can you limit the replies here since it's considered spam to reply to each and every server setup listed.
fine..but this is a forum...i understand...sorry man :(

NordicRX8 said:
6- 49GB Seagate 5-1/4" Full height SCSI drive (RAID 0) <--- mp3
omfg that must be so loud, and it probably uses more power than all 3 of my computers put together :p

I used to have 3 of those in a RAID5 that I used as storage space at lan parties sometimes, and damn, they were un-quiet

cleric_retribution said:
omfg that must be so loud, and it probably uses more power than all 3 of my computers put together :p

I used to have 3 of those in a RAID5 that I used as storage space at lan parties sometimes, and damn, they were un-quiet

Yes they are :( Loud and low capacity for the physical amount of space they occupy....and they are very old drives... But they were SUPER cheap, I could only fit 6 in my cube case... bought a 10-pak of them from surplus computers.

LOL... I could replace those 6 with one PATA or SATA drive of the same capacity and save myself probably >$20 on monthly electricity costs.

It balances out I guess.... since I don't have to heat that quadrant of the house :p more electricity, but I save on Gas heating... at least in the Winter I do. ;)

I forgot to mention....

I only paid $5 (FIVE) dollars for that HP tape drive.... I think it retailed for >$300.00. I picked it up at our local County auction. We upgraded our tape drive (at work) to a larger capacity DAT drive, I sent the HP DAT-72 to county collection for auction. 3 weeks later, I went to said county auction and bidding for the DAT-72 started at $100 bucks... no one bit. Auctioneer kept dropping the price until he reached $20.00 Still no takers.... he said make me an offer. I stood up and offered him $5.00 No-one raised the bid. :D

I did however miss out on a $3000.00, 6 month old HP Plotter the county engineering office sent to auction. Bidding started at $500. Auctioneer dropped to $200, someone got it for $225.00! and with a warranty!!! I only brought $200 in cash with me :(

Guys (and Gals), if you ever have the opportunity to attend a County or State auction... GO! Wonderful deals to be had in electronics and office equipment/furniture.... and vehicles!

AMD RULES said:
wow....that's awesome...

AMD_RULES - what the other poster mentioned to you was that it's impolite to post short/simple/spam-sih posts to a thread because of two reasons.

1) inflates post count, which some people like to do for some reason. So as a general courtesy to your fellow forum members please don't.

2) constantly pushes this thread back to the top of the forum, it's a cool thread. Lots of people have already posted and I'm sure more will. Don't worry about it falling off the front page and if it does, let it go.

If you still feel the need to let each user known how cool/neat/slamming their server specs are, use a private message.

Wow.. one here have got some pretty fast file servers here. I'm running mine on an eMachine cpu/motherboard i got at BB on black friday last year. here are the specs:

CPU: Celeron 2.93
RAM: 768MB -- Not sure if it really needs this much
1x40Maxtor drive -- OS/home directories
2x200 Western Digital IDE tv/music/pictures
1x300 SATA tv/music/pictures
1x400 SATA movies/general files

I have the 2 200GB and the 1 300 setup in a 642GB LVM volume. Basically it holds all the stuff that mythtv records, some music and some pictures. I'm not too concerned if this goes down, the TV shows aren't important and the music and pictures are already backed up. I'm not even close to filling either of these up, i've only used 26% of the 400GB drive and only about 56% of the mythtv volume.

I love this box, I use it all the time.. streaming music, TV, SSH'ing into. And some game servers, teamspeak.. I would like to setup some kind of RAID, but my motherboard is full..

NordicRX8 said:
I forgot to mention....

Guys (and Gals), if you ever have the opportunity to attend a County or State auction... GO! Wonderful deals to be had in electronics and office equipment/furniture.... and vehicles!

Also to note are the local College property disposition centers!

Unhappy with a mere 1.8tb of storage on a single system, I had the burning desire for more. More availability. More redundancy. More scalability. And hopefully, cheaper. Today, I should have the following showing up at my door:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium (Dual gigabit, 8 sata ports, 2x pci-e (8x8x) + 1x pci-e 4x)
AMD64 Venice 3200+
Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATA
Seagate 7200.x 80gb IDE
Some asus case
2x256mb of RAM

Dell Powerconnect 2716 16 port web managed GigE switch (supports jumbo frames + link bonding)

Also in the mail I have what is hopefully a 5 pack of Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual port cards.

Hopefully I'll get a worklog going once I get all the equipment. This is just the initial order for what is hopefully many more to come :D

hokatichenci said:
Unhappy with a mere 1.8tb of storage on a single system, I had the burning desire for more. More availability. More redundancy. More scalability. And hopefully, cheaper. Today, I should have the following showing up at my door:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium (Dual gigabit, 8 sata ports, 2x pci-e (8x8x) + 1x pci-e 4x)
AMD64 Venice 3200+
Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATA
Seagate 7200.x 80gb IDE
Some asus case
2x256mb of RAM

Dell Powerconnect 2716 16 port web managed GigE switch (supports jumbo frames + link bonding)

Also in the mail I have what is hopefully a 5 pack of Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual port cards.

Hopefully I'll get a worklog going once I get all the equipment. This is just the initial order for what is hopefully many more to come :D

nice system...make sure you post photos :D

AMD RULES said:
nice system...make sure you post photos :D

We brought up this subject just a few posts back.

Malk-a-mite said:
AMD_RULES - what the other poster mentioned to you was that it's impolite to post short/simple/spam-sih posts to a thread because of two reasons.

1) inflates post count, which some people like to do for some reason. So as a general courtesy to your fellow forum members please don't.

2) constantly pushes this thread back to the top of the forum, it's a cool thread. Lots of people have already posted and I'm sure more will. Don't worry about it falling off the front page and if it does, let it go.

If you still feel the need to let each user known how cool/neat/slamming their server specs are, use a private message.

do you have something against me or something?
Cause other people have commented on post and you aint complaining to them :confused: :rolleyes:

AMD RULES said:
do you have something against me or something?
Cause other people have commented on post and you aint complaining to them :confused: :rolleyes:

Other people have made maybe one or two comments. You have made no less than 10 spam comments.

Dew said:
Other people have made maybe one or two comments. You have made no less than 10 spam comments.

AMD_RULES, this is a reverse list of some of your comments in this thread:
-------------
nice system...make sure you post photos
wow....that's awesome...
ya, that must be freakin loud...
wow...nice
nice specs tho
nice specs...is it fast?
nice specs
wow...nice
haha lmao!!
nice server specs: what's your site url?
-----------------
This is also a list of comments you have made in this thread:

What operating systems do you guys use for your server?
so is single core ok for a file server?
Any of you running Windows Server Enterprise?
can you run a web server on a residential internet connection? (broardband or fiberoptic)
how is windows server? pretty good?
how is the FTP feature?
Anyone running Opteron Home File Server?
i meant like a skt940 opterons or a dual cpu server @ home
what is VMware? Is that like Micosoft Virtual PC??
when you guys say your server is also a router, do you mean by using the DCHP function?
ok..thanks...is there a way to make you server an acess point?
what is raid 0+1?
-------------------
The difference is one of the forum being a point of information for everyone, or reading like a IM conversation.

And yes, we are old and cranky. :)

Malk-a-mite said:
AMD_RULES, this is a reverse list of some of your comments in this thread:
-------------
nice system...make sure you post photos
wow....that's awesome...
ya, that must be freakin loud...
wow...nice
nice specs tho
nice specs...is it fast?
nice specs
wow...nice
haha lmao!!
nice server specs: what's your site url?
-----------------
This is also a list of comments you have made in this thread:

What operating systems do you guys use for your server?
so is single core ok for a file server?
Any of you running Windows Server Enterprise?
can you run a web server on a residential internet connection? (broardband or fiberoptic)
how is windows server? pretty good?
how is the FTP feature?
Anyone running Opteron Home File Server?
i meant like a skt940 opterons or a dual cpu server @ home
what is VMware? Is that like Micosoft Virtual PC??
when you guys say your server is also a router, do you mean by using the DCHP function?
ok..thanks...is there a way to make you server an acess point?
what is raid 0+1?
-------------------
The difference is one of the forum being a point of information for everyone, or reading like a IM conversation.

And yes, we are old and cranky. :)

not only that, but he seems to have completely missed the first rule, which goes as such:

You make the first post, you provide the first content.

in other words, AMD_RULES 1st post should have included his file server with PICS

AMD_RULES, If you have questions not truly related to server setups here, make a new topic and discuss there.

hokatichenci said:
Today, I should have the following showing up at my door:
[...]

I was just thinking about updating my post mentioning that I've got a LAG group going as well for no good reason other than that I've got the NICs and a supporting switch, etc. But apparently you're into bonding / link aggregation big time -- are you sure that it's going to do what you want it to do? What would that be? This topic would be a suitable offshoot for the Networking forum; it's been discussed before, but then again so has much else..

Madwand said:
I was just thinking about updating my post mentioning that I've got a LAG group going as well for no good reason other than that I've got the NICs and a supporting switch, etc. But apparently you're into bonding / link aggregation big time -- are you sure that it's going to do what you want it to do? What would that be? This topic would be a suitable offshoot for the Networking forum; it's been discussed before, but then again so has much else..

More to come. :D The switch is really pretty, not all that heavy though. The web interface is kinda sucky. I'll post pics soon of the setup, and I should have the system up and running tonight, or rather installing Gentoo :cool:

Shot of all the equipment before install:
http://www.hoka.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6310&g2_serialNumber=1

More shots:
http://www.hoka.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6314&g2_serialNumber=1

New Dell Powerconnect 2716 + old Cisco 2924XL or somesuch running IOS 12.0 (fun toy!)
http://www.hoka.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6317&g2_serialNumber=1

Moneyshot:
http://www.hoka.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6320&g2_serialNumber=1

Wiring (this was tough, the case design is absolutely awful):
http://www.hoka.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6323&g2_serialNumber=1

Still actually have to plug in the 320gb sata drive. I'm going to test with Linux hot swapping and see if it is as good as my Areca.

P4 2.8GHZ (800FSB) +Thermalright xp90
1gb Buffalo PC3200 DDR (older CH5 variant chips)
80gb Maxtor hdd boot
3x250gb Maxtor hdd (1 has 8mb cache, 2 have 16mb cache)-Inside a drive bay that uses the 2 5.25" bays of the case.
GeForce ti200 card
Aopen i865 Matx motherboard, forget the model offhand. Onboard Intel 10/100 Ethernet.
2 Promise ata100 PCI cards (non raid)
Inside a Coolermaster Centurion 541 matx case, 3 coolermaster green led fans. Pretty nice and quiet.
Installed Ubuntu 6.06, moved over to KDE/Kubuntu.

Perhaps more than a touch overkill for simple filesharing, I've thought of having do double duty as a game server (which ought to do fine for most games if the number of players is kept fairly low, <16 or so)

Even though I know the drives connected to the PCI cards are going to be fighting the ethernet as far as PCI bandwidth goes, would I see any benefit to adding a gigabit card? (I only will consider Intel for such duties, Realtek suxors)

Specs are in sig but I'm posting my specs just in case:

Win XP Pro
2.0GHz Intel Pentium 4 OC'd @ 2.3 GHz
1.5GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
Western Digital 80GB PATA HD x 2
Western Digital 200GB SATA HD
Seagate 400GB SATA HD
Memorex CD-RW/DVD-Rom
NEC ND3550A DVD-RW
ATI Radeon 9800PRO 128MB AGP

Not as extensive as some people's setup here but it works for me. In a few weeks, I'm upgrading the 200GB SATA with another Seagate 400GB SATA HD. I'm also replacing one of the 80GB PATA with a 200GB PATA from an external hard drive that I'm replacing.

That'll give me a terabyte. :)

Mine:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
SOYO KT880 Dragon 2 V2.0
eVGA Gefoce 6200
120GB SATA Seagate HDD ( :( )
Windows XP
Aspire X-Alien

I hope to add more hdd space as this was my old machine.

Back