Server 2012 w/Hyper-V Role
2x 3TB HDDs in Storage Space Mirror
2x 1TB HDDs in LSI RAID 1 Array
Intel NIC

File Server VM:
Server 2012
Utilizes 3TB Mirror Array for Storage
OS VHD on 1TB Array

Replicates to another 2012 Hyper-V server.

^ i think ur pretty much running my dream, 2 large hdds in a raid 1 config, doesnt get much safer than that

UPS:

We get at least one extended power outage per year due to the road construction in my area so this lets me get through it. If this server goes down it's probably not coming back up.

This is a terrible idea....You should google, or even youtube why its a bad idea to charge car batteries indoors.

This is a terrible idea....You should google, or even youtube why its a bad idea to charge car batteries indoors.

I think he knows the bad side of this, there has been another thread with lots of posts about it.

Not a huge issue as long as common sense is used and proper monitoring is done. Voltage monitoring to see if it's overcharging, and hydrogen monitoring to ensure hydrogen levels arn't building up. With more than like 8 of em, I'd want to look at a HRV unit to vent it outside, but even then, that would be mostly just a precaution, not a necessity.

I was producing hydrogen on purpose with water and electricity and it's very hard to contain it so it can be lit. I'd have to pretty much fill the room with batteries on chargers gone haywire and have a candle vigil in the same room to have any issues. :p

Also going to be improving that setup more. I hate how the charger is so close and is on the ground, I will be buying the tools to make my own cables so I can make them as long/short as I need. That box is actually going to be sitting in a server rack once properly setup. No equipment should really be near batteries.

Centralized Mass Storage:
WHS v1
SuperMicro MBD-X7SLA-H-O
2GB Crucial DDR2 667
1TB WD Caviar Black (boot takes 20GB, remainder allocated to DE w/ the following)
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ
(x3) 1.5TB Samsung HD154UI
2TB Samsung HD204UI
(x2) 2TB WD Red WD20EFRX

Last edited:
unRAID OS
4x 2TB HDDs
120gb SSD cache drive
i3-3220T
ASUS P8H77
4GB HyperX DDR3 1600
All wrapped up in a Lian Li Q25B

Serves me well!

IMG_2487s.jpg

My file server is third from the bottom, first server above the two UPS units. It is a Windows 2008 R2 box and since it's my only machine on 24/4 I use it as my primary (non-gaming, non-DAW) workstation with Desktop Experience installed. It also serves up my media files for other household computers as well as acting as an iSCSI target for my home lab (involving a SQL server cluster, analysis services cluster and ESXi 5.1 cluster).

Specs:

4U IPC-4080 case
2x 5-in-3 SATA hot-swap bays
DVD-RW optical drive
750watt PSU
MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 3GHz quad-core CPU
16GB DDR3 RAM
2x HP SmartArray P410 RAID controllers (256MB battery-backed cache)
Samsung 830 256GB SSD (C: - OS / Programs)
4x 750GB Western Digital Black hard drives (D: RAID-10 - VM and iSCSI target storage)
6x 1TB Western Digital Blue hard drives (E: RAID-5 - media and data storage)
Intel Pro/1000MT dual-port NIC (for dedicated iSCSI traffic)

Last edited:
My new file server, not yet in production but it's pretty much ready:

The IBM enclosures are hooked up to it too via fibrechannel. I don't use it for production (drives are proprietary and can't be replaced if they fail) but it does make a nice storage pool for extra backups and what not.

Back. Yeah it's a mess behind there. I have plans for that. Custom cable organizer/PDU using 2x6's and other lumber then painted black. :p Have plans made up in autocad already. I might buy premade PDUs though, NCIX currently has some nice Tripplite ones for only 100ish bucks so I might buy a couple. I want several "circuits" for different power sources. (ex: UPS, another UPS, surge only, etc)

Once I'm done my basement renos I will turn this server on permanently and start to configure everything. I'm thinking of moving to a kerberos/ldap environment so it will all be part of the same project. The drives from my old server will be going in here, and the old server will continue to be used as is, but the data part will be handled by the new server.

As for specs:

Chasis:
SUPERMICRO SuperChassis CSE-846A-R1200B Black 4U Rackmount Server Case 1200W Redundant

3x Sata card:
IBM ServeRaid M1015 (flashed to LSI9211-IT)

CPU:
Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2 Quad Core Processor 3.3GHZ 8MB LGA1155 69W Retail Box

Mobo:
Supermicro MBD-X9SCM LGA1155 C204 DDR3 ECC 6SATA 4PCIE 2GBE IPMI 9USB2.0 mATX Motherboard

Ram:
Supermicro MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU13 8GB DDR3-1333 240PT 1.5V DIMM CL9 ECC Server Memory

SSD for OS:
Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5in SATA3 MDX Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

Total cost: close to 4k. :eek: Some stuff I had to reorder, like original SFF cables were too short, needed a bracket for internal HDD etc... so it really started to add up at the end. Will be worth it though to have something reliable to store my data. My current server is on it's last legs and randomly crashes when disk IO is too high.

My primary file server is used for hosting media to my home network.

Intel i3-4130 w/8GB RAM
ASRock H87M Pro4 LGA 1150
NZXT Source 220
1x1.5TB OS HD
5x2TB - Raid 0 - Total formatted Partition 9.09 TB
Windows 2012 R2

I run a backup to external USB hard drives on another host.

I also have a Windows 2012 R2 VM running as a Plex media Server on a separate host. This allows me to stream to a Roku, PS3, my Samsung TV and Yamaha Receiver.

It's amazing.. but don't be jealous.

netgear-readynas-ultra-6_1.jpg

Seriously.. Hating is bad. This thing is smoking fast. Dead reliable and I <3 it.

My aging Fileserver "antares".
Built in early 2009, been through a couple motherboard failures (capacitors), a PSU failure, and several disk failures but still chugging along. It's my do-it-all home server, hidden in a closet.

I run FreeBSD off a 32GB SSD on here with a single 16x 1TB RAIDZ2 w/2 hot spares.
(yes, I know it's not optimal layout, but I need to build the next file server before I can fix it!)

I run FreeBSD Jails for Plex, Transmission, and ownCloud

The next setup I build will definitely have hot-swappable drives and redundant PSUs
(I've been burned by failures of both with this iteration of file server. Lost an Antec PSU and 3x HDDs over time)

Specs:

I've also tried to keep it quiet with the PSU and a number of Noctua 120mm, 80mm and 92mm fans running at varying voltages where necessary for good airflow.

image while I was burning in a replacement motherboard using stresslinux:
8603628457_d357ddc75d_z.jpg

My new file server, not yet in production but it's pretty much ready:

The IBM enclosures are hooked up to it too via fibrechannel. I don't use it for production (drives are proprietary and can't be replaced if they fail) but it does make a nice storage pool for extra backups and what not.

Back. Yeah it's a mess behind there. I have plans for that. Custom cable organizer/PDU using 2x6's and other lumber then painted black. :p Have plans made up in autocad already. I might buy premade PDUs though, NCIX currently has some nice Tripplite ones for only 100ish bucks so I might buy a couple. I want several "circuits" for different power sources. (ex: UPS, another UPS, surge only, etc)

Once I'm done my basement renos I will turn this server on permanently and start to configure everything. I'm thinking of moving to a kerberos/ldap environment so it will all be part of the same project. The drives from my old server will be going in here, and the old server will continue to be used as is, but the data part will be handled by the new server.

As for specs:

Chasis:
SUPERMICRO SuperChassis CSE-846A-R1200B Black 4U Rackmount Server Case 1200W Redundant

3x Sata card:
IBM ServeRaid M1015 (flashed to LSI9211-IT)

CPU:
Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2 Quad Core Processor 3.3GHZ 8MB LGA1155 69W Retail Box

Mobo:
Supermicro MBD-X9SCM LGA1155 C204 DDR3 ECC 6SATA 4PCIE 2GBE IPMI 9USB2.0 mATX Motherboard

Ram:
Supermicro MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU13 8GB DDR3-1333 240PT 1.5V DIMM CL9 ECC Server Memory

SSD for OS:
Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5in SATA3 MDX Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

Total cost: close to 4k. :eek: Some stuff I had to reorder, like original SFF cables were too short, needed a bracket for internal HDD etc... so it really started to add up at the end. Will be worth it though to have something reliable to store my data. My current server is on it's last legs and randomly crashes when disk IO is too high.

Dude, I would love to have those IBM enclosures to play with. (geek envy)

I don't run any servers at home. Too many at work.

Dude, I would love to have those IBM enclosures to play with. (geek envy)

I don't run any servers at home. Too many at work.

TBH I don't use them much, and would probably actually sell them for fairly cheap. The problem is moving them. They're like 120lbs each. I can't imagine what it would cost to ship that lol.

Here's an updated pic of my rack setup:

Main file server:
Code:
[root@isengard ~]# df -hl
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_isengard-lv_root
                       50G  4.3G   43G  10% /
tmpfs                 3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sde1             485M   38M  422M   9% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg_isengard-lv_home
                       53G  180M   50G   1% /home
/dev/md0              5.4T  3.5T  1.7T  68% /volumes/raid1
/dev/md1              6.3T  3.9T  2.1T  66% /volumes/raid2
[root@isengard ~]#

I'm due to throw in some more drives. md0 is a raid 10 with 3TB drives and md1 is a raid 5 with 8 1TB drives.

My aging Fileserver "antares".
Built in early 2009, been through a couple motherboard failures (capacitors), a PSU failure, and several disk failures but still chugging along. It's my do-it-all home server, hidden in a closet.

I run FreeBSD off a 32GB SSD on here with a single 16x 1TB RAIDZ2 w/2 hot spares.
(yes, I know it's not optimal layout, but I need to build the next file server before I can fix it!)

I run FreeBSD Jails for Plex, Transmission, and ownCloud

The next setup I build will definitely have hot-swappable drives and redundant PSUs
(I've been burned by failures of both with this iteration of file server. Lost an Antec PSU and 3x HDDs over time)

Specs:

I've also tried to keep it quiet with the PSU and a number of Noctua 120mm, 80mm and 92mm fans running at varying voltages where necessary for good airflow.

image while I was burning in a replacement motherboard using stresslinux: [/img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8539/8603628457_d357ddc75d_z.jpg[/img]

Awesome. A mix of old hardware and new working together, beautiful!

It's amazing.. but don't be jealous.

Seriously.. Hating is bad. This thing is smoking fast. Dead reliable and I <3 it.

What model is it?

No hate here. If it works, it's stable, and you don't have to do much to keep it running then all the better. It's nice to run gear but some days it can be overwhelming to keep everything running smoothly.

What model is it?

No hate here. If it works, it's stable, and you don't have to do much to keep it running then all the better. It's nice to run gear but some days it can be overwhelming to keep everything running smoothly.

Before I had a job doing enterprise level administration, I really liked to develop in my home lab. I learned so much from it. Now, there's not much I'd learn from having a more sophisticated setup at home. So, the ReadyNAS does the job and I can still do some virtualization thanks to it's support for iSCSI and NFS.

To each his own though, I've still got some enterprise gear at my house I just don't fire it up unless I need to try something specific.

Back