Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
**flame suit on**

You really cant go wrong with HD650s...:cool:

**cowardly runs away**

No, they can be found for as little as $8 each if you know were to shop. ;)

NOS Sylvania 6sn7 GTA here....

Tubeseller
Tubedepot
Used Ebay

I'd like to know where I can find an unused/new NOS Sylvania 6sn7GTA green label for $8, too. That way I can stock up.

I'm only up to 4 6sn7GTA and 5 GTB tubes.... along with 8 EH 6sn7 tubes.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
HA! i guessed right.... cmon ppl were talking about Pini here, 8$ tube? him? thats an interesting concept, the amp is 7500$......i sure hope hes putting in better tubes than that ;)

HA! i guessed right....

When was the last time you "guessed right" about anything? :confused:

Let's see.... coax S/PDIF jacks?
No.
Someone had to explain that to you. Twice in fact
Lets see.. opus power supply.
Nope.
Someone had to explain that one to.
Let's see... opus terminal blocks.
Nope.
Someone had to explain what they are, where they are located and how to use a screwdriver on that one.

Want me to keep going or are you going to concede the fact?

better tubes than that ;)

What do you think the difference is between an $8 6sn7 GTA and a $40 one?

NOS Sylvania 6sn7 GTA here....

Tubeseller
Tubedepot
Used Ebay

What's your point? :confused:
Other then you don't apparently know how to find deals because a quick check @ Ebay for Sylvania 6SN7 found lots of them for much better prices then you posted. ;)

Example----> http://cgi.ebay.com/24ea-6SN7-GTA-S...ryZ64629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd like to know where I can find an unused/new NOS Sylvania 6sn7GTA green label for $8, too. That way I can stock up.

I am sorry but if you are willing to pay that much for those tubes I would be a fucking idiot if I posted my source. ;)
But I will give you a hint.
Google + military surplus

I am not impressed... when I was in Iraq during desert storm we used those tubes for target practice. ;)
Nobody could ever figure out why we even have tubes for a multichannel communications system that had been obsoleted a decade before.

What's your point? :confused:
Other then you don't apparently know how to find deals because a quick check @ Ebay for Sylvania 6SN7 found lots of them for much better prices then you posted. ;)

Example----> http://cgi.ebay.com/24ea-6SN7-GTA-S...ryZ64629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Before running your mouth, you should really show me where I can find brand new NOS tubes. I don't care about your military surplus or used tubes.

I am sorry but if you are willing to pay that much for those tubes I would be a fucking idiot if I posted my source. ;)
But I will give you a hint.
Google + military surplus
Once again, relax Marshall. Did I forget to mention that I got my tubes for free with the preamp? Oops... I must be an idiot.

I am not impressed... when I was in Iraq during desert storm we used those tubes for target practice. ;)
Nobody could ever figure out why we even have tubes for a multichannel communications system that had been obsoleted a decade before.
Who was trying to impress anybody? Read my sentence again hotshot. I said "I'm only up to..." meaning that's all I got and I lack tubes. You need to enhance your calm before busting out the big guns.

No.
Nope.
Nope.
Someone had to explain what they are, where they are located and how to use a screwdriver on that one.

Dude... seriously. You don't have to attack everyone who disagrees or slights you in the most minor manner. Geez, lighten up.

You're the big shot around here alright? Happy?

Well, Ive always been a fan of cheap tubes myself, but unless you feel comfortable modding your amp or build one outright you are stuck with whatever the manufacturer configures your amp with. 6SN7's are a very popular tube, though I'm not exactly sure why, so the prices tend to be high. If you look at some of the less popular tubes, the prices shoot way down. The RCA 6GU7's that I use on the output of my amp are very cheap [even relative to the 6CG7, which are still cheaper than most], but are very nice tubes. The 6BZ7/6BQ7A's on the input of my amp are similar to 6922's, but can be had for peanuts. Hardly anyone uses pentodes in their amps, so the 27GB5/PL500's are inexpensive as well. I can probably outfit my amp [13 tubes] for around $60-$80... and it would only be $20 more or so to get the best possible tubes. When I originally did so, I payed a bit more because of shipping costs, but since I discovered The Tube Store [located in Hamilton], that waived bye bye to shipping charges. :)

Yep, I'm having an adapter built so I can use 6gu7's as the driver tube on my mpx3 slam :D lower gain and cheaper tubes :D

Before running your mouth, you should really show me where I can find brand new NOS tubes. I don't care about your military surplus or used tubes.

Here, let me help you out with something:

http://www.tubeseller.com/catalog/i105.html
The don't even say if those are new tubes or not.

http://www.tubedepot.com/pa-6sn7gta-1.html
Pulls from New Military Depot Equipment
Military surplus.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-matched-1953-...7GT-tubes_W0QQitemZ280177907561QQcmdZViewItem
Used from ebay.

Now you are telling me that you do not care about military surplus or used tubes but wait.... you posted links to used and surplus tubes to make a point and now you are telling me you don't care.
That makes two of us.

And FWIW before you go running your fingers you should actually read what people post.
Were did I ever suggest $8 "new New Old Stock tubes"?

Once again, relax Marshall. .

First off:
Who are you to tell me or anybody else to relax?
You are not my father, mother, sister, brother, cousin, aunt, uncle, girlfriend, boss, peer or associate so save it.

Secondly:
I get lots of practice...I don't need to get excited to be an asshole to an asshole. ;)

Did I forget to mention that I got my tubes for free with the preamp? Oops... I must be an idiot..
:rolleyes:

Who was trying to impress anybody? Read my sentence again hotshot. I said "I'm only up to..." meaning that's all I got and I lack tubes.

Lets explore what you are saying for a second.

How about we start by you reading your own sentence?

Now look at the image you posted:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f144/pinipig523/DSC01895.jpg

4 + 5 + 8 = 17 tubes.
But wait.... that pre-amp only has space for 8 tubes.
You have 17 tubes for a pre-amp that only takes 8 tubes you are saying you are lacking tubes?

Doesn't make much sense to me either. ;)

You need to enhance your calm before busting out the big guns.

I am still very calm.

Dude... seriously. You don't have to attack everyone who disagrees or slights you in the most minor manner. Geez, lighten up.

Yes I do.

You're the big shot around here alright?

Who are you again?
The way I see it you are just someone sticking his nose in a post where it does not belong so I have to wonder who you think you are to suggest who is a big shot around here.

I would be a lot happier if you minded you own buisness.
If he has a problem with that post then he can speak for himself.

One thing I've learned over the years that I've forumed is that arguing is pointless, drags out, and never resolves anything if someone is bullheaded enough not to see past his own perceptions.

That said, I'm just going to leave it at that and not say another word regarding tubes because I actually really don't care at all if you can find it for $8 because until you can show me that you can find it for $8 brand new NOS, then you still don't have it for $8. Military surplus or not, show me new NOS for $8. But don't mind me, I really don't care for it either way.

Anyway, I'll just concede in advance that MisterX is king and may your infinite wisdom shine upon all. Point to the fellas, don't say anything negative to Marshall, he might just bust yo a$$... he's very sensitive.

Happy Holidays, Marshall.

Lets explore what you are saying for a second.

How about we start by you reading your own sentence?

Now look at the image you posted:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f144/pinipig523/DSC01895.jpg

4 + 5 + 8 = 17 tubes.
But wait.... that pre-amp only has space for 8 tubes.
You have 17 tubes for a pre-amp that only takes 8 tubes you are saying you are lacking tubes?

Doesn't make much sense to me either. ;)

Marshall,

If you reread my sentence, I don't have enough tubes because I can't fill the entire preamp with the same tube type because I only have 5 for the GTB and 4 of the GTA. How am I supposed to fill all 8 slots with 5 or 4 without having to mix/match?

If you help me figure that out, you get the genius award.

Happy Holidays, Marshall.

ROFLMFAO

This really is such a fucking stupid thing to be arguing about guys. To insult someone for buying tubes...I mean, is there anything we are allowed to post about?

Sweet fucking jesus.

Maybe if I post my headphones they will stop arguing. Anyways, my setup is not all that great, hopefully in a few weeks I will be picking up a Marantz CD5001 to get me rolling into better equipment. Anyways here are my headphones currently. Also, my CD rack is empty because I just picked it up recently am just am not starting to use it. :D

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Woo stands FTW :)

A word of caution: the edges can screw up the paint of the headphones. You may want to cover them w/ something. I have electrical tape on mine, and some rubber-dip stuff coming, which is meant for tools. I'll post updated pics when I get it.

A word of caution: the edges can screw up the paint of the headphones. You may want to cover them w/ something. I have electrical tape on mine, and some rubber-dip stuff coming, which is meant for tools. I'll post updated pics when I get it.

You referring to the top edges or another part?

You're right aardvark... the Woo stands have been known to be a bit "rough" with the band of most headphones. Just be careful and take caution with it.

What does it use on the input currently?

I currently have a Sylvania 6SN7GTB in there.

The output tubes also use 6SN7's, but I have a pair of 5687's there now with adapters.

And lets not forget Radio Daze as a good source fo NOS tubes :D

Oh and J, I've been impressed with your amp and with Peter's work so I'm having him build me a new phono stage :D He's also building me the adapter.

Yes, just the top. Of course the base can scratch the table too, if your not careful.

Oh and J, I've been impressed with your amp and with Peter's work so I'm having him build me a new phono stage. He's also building me the adapter.
Good luck buddy. :)

His amps sound great, but the wait time can be a little insane. Also, be very clear with what you want and ensure he tests it before shipping. You don't want to have to send it back to him.

On the upside, his phono stage is supposed to be really great, even relative to his other amps. You should be very happy with the sonics assuming everything else works out alright.

Since you are having an adapter built and your amp uses 6SN7s on both stages, you should consider trying the 6GU7s on the output as well. Try comparing 6SN7/6SN7 to both 6GU7/6SN7 and 6SN7/6GU7. If you like both 6GU7 swaps better than the original, get some more adapters made and run 6GU7s in both positions. :cool:

BTW. Have you tried 6080s? They are a direct replacement for the 6SN7, I believe, are usually cheaper, and come recommended by Kevin Gilmore. ;)

No.
Nope.
Nope.

whoa dude.....sorry i dont know anything much about DIY and internals of audio parts, chill out im what 25+ years your junior? im 15 for gods sake....barely seen the light of the day, I wasnt trying to rub any salt in your wounds just chill out....just cuz i said "HA!" doesnt mean you have to put up the defenses and get the artillery warmed up

theres hundreds of people on head fi who are cool and all. i thought you were one of those guys. thats why i always asked you for help, i knew that you know all your stuff and have plenty of exp under the belt, when i ask joey about sources he doesnt bite my head off....

and i bet i could spec, build. overclock a computer on a 1200$ budget as well as you, if not better, thanks for the warm welcome into DIY audio :rolleyes:

Nice upgrade Pinipig! Only thing I would recommend for an amazing rig like that would be to roll in some new tubes to replace those Electro-harmonix. Might just be my tastes but I definitely prefer the RCA GTBs over the Electros, not too bad price wise either. Never heard those Sylvanias you have in the headphone output stage but the RCAs also match quite nicely with the HD650s. :)

Nice upgrade Pinipig! Only thing I would recommend for an amazing rig like that would be to roll in some new tubes to replace those Electro-harmonix. Might just be my tastes but I definitely prefer the RCA GTBs over the Electros, not too bad price wise either. Never heard those Sylvanias you have in the headphone output stage but the RCAs also match quite nicely with the HD650s. :)

Chill looks like we have another head-fi/[h]ard switcher
and his flickr is pretty sweet too....

@emilio
Nice setup....is that your main setup or is it just used as a mobile setup?
and what amp is that?
Edit: jk, read your sig too :)

Chill looks like we have another head-fi/[h]ard switcher
and his flickr is pretty sweet too....

Yeah.... I've talked to Skyline on the phone a few times a few months ago. He's definitely a cool guy, Oliver.

Thanks! I'm in Nebraska right now for residency interviews so I'm missing my Cary 05... *sniff*...

You're right, rolling the stock EH 6sn7's out for some NOS tubes is the way to go. I don't have enough to roll ALL 8, but I have enough Sylvania GTB to roll the output gain stage tubes (4 tubes on the left-most).... and maybe mix up some GTA in the input stage and headstage tubes (middle and right-most respectively).

I think I need to get more tubes a little later....

Hey guys, I was thinking of getting the Sennheiser 485s... anyone have anyone have any experience with 'em... are they worth $60, and how do they compare to my MDR-V6s? I've been wanting to get myself a set of open cans for awhile. I want something with a good clean bass output and they have to be comfortable, anything like that in the sub $100 range would be great.

hehe sounds like what we used to do with old GE MastrPro stations... we attached one of those radios to the back of my friends pickup and dragged it for like a mile making fast turns... the radio actually took out a stop sign tubes flying everywhere, it was hillarity :eek:

Hello, this is my wireless headphone, I bought in China this years as a sample, it is best for watching TV or computer chatting, because it integrate a wireless microphone. although it is not better than wired headphone but it use 2.4G wireless, due to the high transmitting rate, and high level Neodymium speaker, generates high clarity, best performance is high sound, bass also better. the model is OPW-0104A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back