Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
aohellasux said:
pc_box.jpg

This is my pc is a cardboard box... finally got to use my 120mm Delta fan. My system runs nice and cool in its new home.

Simple and effective......and ghetto.

4.2 foodstamps

JL_Audio_User said:
Simple and effective......and ghetto.

4.2 foodstamps

Sweet. Thats its temporary home for a few weeks till I decide on a new case, and maybe some new hardware.

4.2 foodstamps + 0.3 for watching Family Guy & the Penny Arcade sticker, - 0.1for using metal screws = 4.4 foodstamps

the funny thing about cardboard box PC is they work great if your broke or have to many pc stuff but not enough case :)

ikellensbro said:
4.2 foodstamps + 0.3 for watching Family Guy & the Penny Arcade sticker, - 0.1for using metal screws = 4.4 foodstamps

Actually, I was watching Dilbert, just FYI. And the cardboard box is great, my pc is running 5 to 10 degress (F) cooler in it.

ikellensbro said:

No foodstamps for using Windows Media Player? ;)

aohellasux said:
pc_box.jpg

This is my pc is a cardboard box... finally got to use my 120mm Delta fan. My system runs nice and cool in its new home.
and i totally don't blame you

cases are a rip off!

aohellasux said:
Actually, I was watching Dilbert, just FYI. And the cardboard box is great, my pc is running 5 to 10 degress (F) cooler in it.

hey, what keyboard do you use?

aohellasux said:
Actually, I was watching Dilbert, just FYI.
Ah, I was too eager to see someone else watching Family Guy, but Dilbert was and still is just as genius.

knaSen said:
No foodstamps for using Windows Media Player? ;)
Maybe add another 0.1, for pure laziness by using WMP, instead of another program that you would actually have to download & install to use :p

ikellensbro said:
Maybe add another 0.1, for pure laziness by using WMP, instead of another program that you would actually have to download & install to use :p

Actualy WMP should be a mandatory .02 DEDUCTION...for being a hogging unreal piece of shit.

One Ghetto creed is not being lazy....Its being smart with what you've got.

TSS Modder said:
sorry, forgot the model number. logitechs removed it from their site, as has newegg. thanks for clearing that up! :)

I LOVE the Z680's. Although I think they were meant for a room much larger than mine.

sabrewolf732 said:
hey, what keyboard do you use?

Auravision EluminiX. I love it. Has keys like a laptop, its small, and has an EL panel under the translucent keys so you can see the keys in the dark. Its rad for LANs, and its not bight enough to disturb me while I sleep.

JL_Audio_User said:
Actualy WMP should be a mandatory .02 DEDUCTION...for being a hogging unreal piece of shit.
One Ghetto creed is not being lazy....Its being smart with what you've got.

Yeah, I second the reduction for WMP. It sucks, but not enough for me to use something else.

my.php

had to turn my pc upside down because the internals faced right instead of left which i wanted

ghettoist mod i've ever done!!!

DlStreamnet said:
my.php

had to turn my pc upside down because the internals faced right instead of left which i wanted

ghettoist mod i've ever done!!!
NOOO - now all the cold will get stuck in the PSU and not fall to the CPU!!!! Errror Error Error

I recently got my hands on a gen2 IceMat to go with my mx510.

ice1.jpg

this thing rocks - it is made out of glass, has almost 0 friction... the mouse will slide from one end to the other with just a touch. i thought i had found the perfect pad, that is, until my 3rd hour of CS:S. as my hand warmed the glass, the uber-cool feel of the ice pad (cold goodness) disapeared. what was i to do?

meet: the super cooled IceMat
ice2.jpg

using an old bay cooler and the foam that it came packed in, i speedily whipped up a HSF for my IceMat.

ice3.jpg

the 3x 40mm high flow fans blow cold air from the room through a set of insulated baffles and then under the pad, cooling it down. the air then exits under my wrist, providing a nice cool breeze

ice4.jpg

my mouse pad temps have drop significantly... enabling ice cold performance through the longest CS sprees.

:D ghetto enugh for you?

I just had an inspiration to clean my case in less than 10 seconds without using a vacum cleaner. So i decided to turn the fan on high and have it blow the dust out of the case. Observe
ghettofan001.bmp

And just the opposite if you turn the fan the other way you get massive overclocking :D

theshadow27 I just had to tell you that mouse pad mod is bitchin'!
That's one of the most innovative things I've seen in my life, which is almost pathetic

Lets not let this thread die, my final ghetto-WC setup wont be done at least for another week, so heres a couple hours of work I put in last week:

HPIM0227 (Small).jpg

The back 80mm fan grills on my Raidmax (crap)case were really restrictive, so I cut them off with...

HPIM0229 (Small).jpg

a pretty dull pair of electrical pliers to start each small cut (the case is pure steel, but it could still be cut after some effort), then a pair of needlenose to seperate each cut. Yes, the edges on those grill are really sharp, and at last count, Ive cut myself on the seperated grills or the back of the case itself at least 6 times.

It feels like each fan is able to push at least 3 times as much air without the grills, and things have gotten a little quieter with the reduced turbulence. Then again, Im not gonna keep this case much longer, its just too small, so my A64 system might find itself in a cardboard box realatively soon ;)

This is our ghetto contribution in conjuction with a friend, Matt.

At our school, the techs decided to replace all the P4 rig's fans with Zalmans, which was quite nice. Matt was the official heir to the stock P4 heatsinks and all their deafening glory. His comp just happened to need a bit more air... but no supplies were there. So, we beat on, boats against the current, drawn ceaslessly into attaching 5 p4 heatsinks in a warm box.

Case
Note the missing faceplate and the front p4 fan... (attatched with tape and string)

Power
Matt lacked a power switch, but there were scissors so he stripped off the ends of the power leads, and thus to turn on the computer, all you had to do was touch them together! And make sure they didn't touch again at the most untimely moments.... e.g. schoolwork.

Back
More string and tape. Take care to notice that there is a fan below the AGP slot, sucking the heat dry. The superb wiring job and the dangling system speaker prove that the box orignates straight from Hoth.

-There's some Ruski innovation for ya!

For some reason it claims it's an illegal URL and replaces the link adress with "!!!!!!!!!!" in there... makes no sence. It's gallery.image!!!!!!!!!! and the "!!!!!!!!!!" gets replaced with "!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...

Daggah said:
Sorry, JL_Audio_User, that fan controller mod is actually pretty cool...too cool to be ghetto.

Um, in my old computer a few years ago, I mounted a 92mm fan to the front of my computer. Only thing was, the screwholes were for an 80mm fan. So I screwed the fan in with one screw and secured the other three corners of the fan with sticky tack (you know, the stuff you use to put posters up on a wall.) I also drew some kanji on the right side panel...with a magic marker.

Still can't believe I did that.

In my current case, the only thing I've done ghetto was using electrical tape in place of heatshrink after sleeving a fan's power cable and a fan extension cable. Just haven't gotten around to opening the case up and replacing it with proper heatshrink.

OOOooooo I got one better

I yanked a 92mm out of a compaq I had laying around and put it in an 80mm fan hole. I was liek hmmm does it look betetr in the 120mm or 80....

Then I screwed one in and hot glued that bitch.

I reecently decided to upgrade to a 120mm. I didn't pay for it though. I had a $10 giftcard/rebate reward center thing for bestbuy and used it.

GHETTOOO

This is mine, it's my room-mates system. We upgraded his POS computer with some old old parts of mine. Basically a Duron 700 to Athlon T-Bird 1GHz, some more RAM, and a GeForce4 Ti4600. Anyhow his crappy case doesn't have sufficient cooling. Basically just one 60mm fan in front and the same in back. Our solution....well check out the picture.

IMG_2501.JPG

Decius said:
This is mine, it's my room-mates system. We upgraded his POS computer with some old old parts of mine. Basically a Duron 700 to Athlon T-Bird 1GHz, some more RAM, and a GeForce4 Ti4600. Anyhow his crappy case doesn't have sufficient cooling. Basically just one 60mm fan in front and the same in back. Our solution....well check out the picture.

IMG_2501.JPG

I see no evidence of reused usps packing tape or boxes, so that'll knock down the score.

3.0 foodstamps (slightly ripped but held together with reused usps packing tape)

ghettomod.jpg

ghettomod1.jpg

ghettomod2.jpg

ghettomod3.jpg

You know you love that aweosme halloween pillow my aunt made for me back there. I took it with me ona 4:30 trip there and back to a concert. Comfortable but embarassing :D

Yea and I'm peeling from surfing too much. Well you can never surf tooo much but I should use some lotion to "moisturize and rejuvanate..."

Back