Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
I would probably switch out those usps boxes with regular brown cardboard boxes ~_~

Ready for Shipping, version 1.0

sponsored by US postal service....

5klidg.jpg

2mpddo9.jpg

xbgztf.jpg

semi-portable hdd/burner caddy with detachable 120mm fan:
wpqp5.jpg
LOL. When should I expect to see it arrive on my doorstep? :p

I tend to play these ghetto games occasionally when I can't afford to buy something or just outright refuse to spend money on something that's totally unnecessary, and this was the case.

You know those ten dollar pci-e/cpu power/atx connector pin removal tools? Don't need em' at all. Why waste ten dollars for something that can be replaced for a few cents, if that?

My ghetto pin-removal tool:
img1581ni.jpg

Just a small paperclip that has been straightened and bent ever so slightly at the end so that the metal retention flap in the pin is pushed back when the paperclip is forced into the outside area of the pin seat. There is just enough room on the outside of the pin to force in the paperclip one side at a time, and presto, pin removed!

I needed one of these to change the end on one of my power supply cables. It was designed to be attached to a secondary power connection cable with additional connectors for devices, but I decided to swap it for a pci-e connector end so that it could be used for a graphics card. My 8800 GT is now enjoying the entire 2nd rail of the psu through the pci-e connector.

My pimped out cable job, braided and all:
img1578md.jpg

The end result is not very ghetto, I know, but the process was a work of ghetto genius! :D

paper/cardboard has to reach a very high temperature in order to combust, combustion isn't likely.

Lol, thats really not how it works, its a matter of how much moisture is in it. if you throw a blanket on top of a radio and leave it for long enough, itll catch on fire. not because the radio is 300 degrees but because that slight warmth slowly dries out the moisture to a point that itll ignite at a very low temp!(that is a very common insurance fraud tactic)

I've had these $180 Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's for awhile now (2 years?) and... some of the plastic just broke... wtf.

So, couple rubber bands later...

img0006.jpg

THIS BETTER HOLD!

Theres gotta be some glue around your house...

all we got is hot glue (and if I use that, I will REALLY fuck things up, including burning the shit out of myself), packing tape, and some elmers white glue. that's it.

I've had these $180 Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's for awhile now (2 years?) and... some of the plastic just broke... wtf.

img0006.jpg

THIS BETTER HOLD!

Send Beyer an email. Most high end audio companies provide replacment parts. I was able to get the replacment screws and the casing for akg k701's from akg.

img0006.jpg

THIS BETTER HOLD!

My DT770 250s were brand new when I bought them 2 or 3 years ago and they're still in mint condition, how do you break the plastic like that?

My DT770 250s were brand new when I bought them 2 or 3 years ago and they're still in mint condition, how do you break the plastic like that?

I have no idea. I picked it up today and I noticed that it was cracked in half. I'm not rough with these at all either.

53184168.jpg

16605475.jpg

31359857.jpg

Okay, it might look "clean" but I'll try to get pictures of the inside later as all the pantyhose is held on by hockey tape.

ahah the pantyhose (the ones in those eggs) fan filters was probably one of my first mods I did back in high school, I used tons of vinyl packing tape instead, thumbs up!

That's brilliant. Going to do that after my next compressed air blasting.

Any risk of static problems?

As long as the fan blades (or any moving parts) aren't in contact with it, I'd say the risk is minimal.

On a side note, don't I remember a commercial about static free pantyhose? Something about keeping a dress from clinging to the hose? If you're worried about it, maybe some of that stuff (if it exists, the memory is a bit dodgey as of late) would help put you at ease. Just a thought.

Static is good for collectin that dust!

For the past couple years I've been vacuuming the room once a week (maybe twice if I encounter breezy days) and it really cuts down on the dust if you have carpet. So I rarely encounter any dust in my computer or on my fan filters.

I'm aroused.

Don't know if it's a ghetto mod, but I've been using an 80mm fan grill as a coaster ; /

Yeah, mine are hockey taped to the fan and a bit to the case. For a less ghetto way of attachment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1CsgADwBY

lol took me a second to figure out what "pannyho" was in the video. That new word he made up just didn't register with my brain for a bit.

The kid had a good idea with the little knot and I agree that it's less ghetto since we can crank out multiple fan filters out of one hosiery (knee highs atleast) vs his one "pannyho".

lianlia05frontfan.jpg

Office paper clips for wire management on the right. PSU cooling by shoving a cheap chinese 2800 RPM fan with friction holding it in.

Last edited:
well a plastic cover is supposed to go over the dual Prestonia 2.8GHz Xeons in my Dell Precision 650 to direct airflow...but it was missing when I bought, so I ducktaped a Vantec PCI-slot fan unit to the coolers, and the CPU's are staying very cool, vs overheating in less than 10 minutes, I ran 4 instances of Prime95 for an hour, and was rock solid! :)

SDC10036.jpg

Back