Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
I'm gonna laugh when a pebble goes thru the grill and into your engine.
Thats totally a ghetto mod though :p

I hope this wasn't a serious post. If for some reason you wer unlucky enough to have a pebble actually make it to that tiny hole (comparatively) behind a bunch of plastic, you would have to be even more immensely unlucky for it to actually work its way up to the filter, and just downright completely freakishly unlucky to have it somehow get by the filter. If a rock ever made it to that hole chances are it would just chill in one of the little ribs of the tubing and sit there, until you find it some day, and remove it.

In reality its a pretty good idea, people pay good money to buy kits that have worse intake routing than than. :cool:

Enough lurking, it's time for my first post :3

I found these 2 spare PCI brackets today and thought that i have to do something useful with those.
Because I haven't found any proper stand for my headphones, I figured that I could get a temporary headphone hanger.
No glue, tape, soldering or anything similar needed. :)

Sorry if there are grammar errors, English isn't my first language :p
That's hilarious. :)

Some of these comptuers look pretty good.

Now to post my Ghetto!

<shifty eyes>

Last edited:
I hope this wasn't a serious post. If for some reason you wer unlucky enough to have a pebble actually make it to that tiny hole (comparatively) behind a bunch of plastic, you would have to be even more immensely unlucky for it to actually work its way up to the filter, and just downright completely freakishly unlucky to have it somehow get by the filter. If a rock ever made it to that hole chances are it would just chill in one of the little ribs of the tubing and sit there, until you find it some day, and remove it.

In reality its a pretty good idea, people pay good money to buy kits that have worse intake routing than than. :cool:

It didn't look like it had a filter. Hence my post.

These photos are circa 2003, and my first attempt at watercooling. This was before there was an abundance of watercooling parts available. I mixed 3/8 and 1/2 in diameter tubing/components, and made my own waterblock in the copper core of a 'sunflower' HSF.. It worked better than a WB that i later bought.

Before watercooling, my machine looked like this:
my_computer.jpg

Trying to figure out what I was doing:
haggard.jpg

haggard2.jpg

To redeem myself, it came out like this:
compy.jpg

compy2.jpg

(and yes, i used flexible metal conduit for heavy duty wiring as sleeving)

Fast forward to 2006/7:
chieftech_rad.jpg

For some reason, i thought the tape would look better.
elbow.jpg

I didn't like having a sharp bend in the tubing, so i added in an elbow, rendering 2 drive bays useless.

Not really a ghetto mod, but here is ~3 years of algae/alien life form buildup:
algae4.jpg

algae3.jpg

algae2.jpg

algae.jpg

I was building a super cheap desktop from old parts I had laying around last year. I wanted to shell out as little cash as possible, so I found an old beat up case. It supported one 80mm fan lol. This PC has been long gone, threw it in another case and sold it. I think it was an x2 5000+, 2gb ram, 8800gt, and a antec basiq 500w psu, but i figured id post it anyways :)

DSC00575.jpg

DSC00576.jpg

Had an old front panel usb that I zip tied to the side of the case. Also have my power and HDD light ran to the side.
DSC00577.jpg

homeserver1.jpg

homeserver2.jpg

homeserver3.jpg

Our ghetto fabulous home server. Found an old IDE expansion card and scrounged up 4 IDE drives. Can't close the case anymore though. And two of those drives are from 2002 and scream like demons. I can't stand to be near the machine for long periods of time because of that. The saddest part though is that those 10 drives are still less storage than my 7. Still, who's to argue with what works?

My first rigged system. Case was for a Duel P1 server
DSCF2070.jpg

Inside, very tight
DSCF2072.jpg

DSCF3263.jpg

Second Rigged system. A working Duel PII Gateway Server. NS-8000
DSCF3253.jpg

Pretty Clean
DSCF3255.jpg

PSU parts
DSCF3256.jpg

Getting started
DSCF3257.jpg

Custom hard drive mounts
DSCF3259.jpg

DSCF3260.jpg

Testing
DSCF3262.jpg

Same parts new case
DSCF3264.jpg

Big ain't it?
DSCF3265-1.jpg

With new long IDE cables
DSCF4392.jpg

New Hard drive mount at the bottom of the case
DSCF4394.jpg

And PS2 rock band hub being put to a better use.
DSCF4382.jpg

he had to connect everything to everything

Oh yea. But it's not really alot,it's simple to me. To bad you can't see my old as wi-fi card i use for ad hoc.

edit
I want to make a sleeper pc out of my tandy tl/2 1000 in the backgrand. I have it laplink to an old as laptop with a 600Mb drive with a custom dos 6.22 bootdisk. On a 720k disk @_@. My tandy did not come with a hard drive.

Who doesn't want a bit of bling in their computer? Stylish people, that's who. For people who aren't stylish the solution is of course Brasso though.

2mwe3oh.png

Before:
2uoqnig.png

After:

332vwgg.png

Now my computer is off da chain!

Who doesn't want a bit of bling in their computer? Stylish people, that's who. For people who aren't stylish the solution is of course Brasso though.

Before:

After:

I'm not seeing what you did there...

***SNIP***

Sorry this is the ghetto mod thread, if you wanted that high polish look you should have just used duct tape. 0 food stamps.

I must admit, a bit of brown duct tape would give a lovely gloss effect. I could even apply it badly to create bubbles which would make a nice pattern.

A friend of mine modding the I/O sheild area to fit my old DFI 939. The stand-offs were pretty much ATX standard, so a little cutting with a cut-off wheel and the board fit right in. The case was his grandfathers. We know nuthin about what was originally in it. If you know what they originally were, please LMK.
27238_1242969953987_1221506986_30598191_7640658_n.jpg

This thing is frickin HUGE. We may end up using it for liquid cooling someday. We named her 'The MHz Tower'. Thinking of doing her up in a building motif. Maybe add an awning with a front door. Perhaps an atrium with a fountain tied into the water cooler. It's a work in progress...
27238_1242969913986_1221506986_30598190_6602386_n.jpg

The guts consist of a DFI Lanparty Ultra-d/Athlon 64 X2 3800 (2.1GHz for now) 2x1 Gb Mushkin Enhanced (2-3-2-6) 9500GT, 500 GB WD, OCZ Modstream PSU. Alot of this is my old gear, that my friend is using till he gets some more bread. I keep telling him to get a BE550/555. The chip I just got, allowing me to hand down thsi mobo/proc. He just got the 9500GT on the cheap at MC to upgrade my old 7800GT CO. Unfortunately we didn't capture some of the more ghetto elements of it. You can see the wood shim proping the GFX card, as there is no lip to screw it to. We figured best to relieve the weight off the bus. Also, note the custom built (by yours truly) PSU mount. It's some scrap 1x4 tacked with some finish nails. It is open at the bottom to allow airflow. Other ghetto elements (not pictured) would be the power switch poked through a hole on the far side, and double-sided taped on, and the side-covers from a standard ATX case. Though they only cover about 3/5 of the sides, when rotated 90 degrees, they are sized just right, and you can even snap them in place with a little coaxing.
27238_1242970273995_1221506986_30598192_8151006_n.jpg

Yep. The old PSU was a huge monster. Nothing standard about it,so we had to cut a little metal to allow for power cord, and exhaust fan. We could just drill some holes and mount it to the case. More likely, we will cut a mounting plate, that will bolt to the PSU. The plate will then bolt to the case, helping to cover other open areas on the back as well. There are two heavy gauge rails splitting the case horizontally. The PSU could almost just rest on there, but it's a little too narrow, so the PSU could slip down through, and it's a little low for some cabling or something (I forgot). The wood box just raises it a little, and closes the space between the railsso it can't slip down in the case.

That is an old AT case, it could have had a p1-2 in it or one of the older AMDs

Thanks!^^^

I assumed, due to the size, it would've been a server or something? I am just a hobbyist/gamer, so I know nothing of the IT/business end of it. It seems WAY to big, to be marketed towards home use.

Back then a big case could have been "marketed" as a server, but most "power users" wanted the huge case, so lots of people had them. They had to be huge, most harddrives way back when were full height 5.25 drives (ie the size of 2 cdroms stacked) I used to have 3 or 4 of those style huge cases laying around till I took them to the scrappers.
Edit: when I say most I mean anything larger than a few hundred MB.

Do tape drives actually get that hot?

They can get pretty warm, but I don't see how those sinks are actually helping at all with cooling, unless there's a fan directly behind them that we can't see. Still pretty ghetto though. If you wanted to put a fan behind there...might I suggest the rubber band suspension method that I have employed numerous times in my dabbles in the ghetto mods. :p

They can get pretty warm, but I don't see how those sinks are actually helping at all with cooling, unless there's a fan directly behind them that we can't see. Still pretty ghetto though. If you wanted to put a fan behind there...might I suggest the rubber band suspension method that I have employed numerous times in my dabbles in the ghetto mods. :p

I have only had one over temperature warning since i did this mod

it gets a small amount of air from from the fan directly behind the tape drive at the back of the case

I was thinking of getting a WRT54G and strapping a fan to it so I can turn up the output on the wifi :). Good idea!

I need to find a pic of my friend's router mod. He actually modded the case so that an 80mm fan fit perfectly flush with the top and put a fan grill on it. It looked so good, I feel bad calling it a ghetto mod. It was really impressive.

Maybe not as ghetto as some other mods in this thread, but... I had a 7900GTX 512mb for the past few months... I just didn't know what to do with it. It was useless to me since it didn't have a HSF on it (I bought it without a HSF), and I had no luck in selling it.

I don't know why it took me this long, but just recently it dawned upon me that people have been ghetto rigging their CPU coolers on the graphic cards for ages now, why not me?

So I had a socket A stock HSF lying around. I took a quick stop at the local 99cent store, bought a bag of long ziptie, and worked on putting the socket A. I'm just sorry that I didn't have a before the mod pictures, only after.

Temps are excellent, even better than my processor, and that's saying something.

Idle: 33c
Load: 52c

The stock fan connects to the nearby system_fan on my motherboard, since it doesn't fit the fan on the GPU itself. Also, hwmonitor reports that particular fan to be spinning at near 5000 RPM full blast :eek:, but luckily I'm deaf. At least it's good for something!

p1010144.jpg

p1010145.jpg

p1010146.jpg

Maybe not as ghetto as some other mods in this thread, but... I had a 7900GTX 512mb for the past few months... I just didn't know what to do with it. It was useless to me since it didn't have a HSF on it (I bought it without a HSF), and I had no luck in selling it.

I don't know why it took me this long, but just recently it dawned upon me that people have been ghetto rigging their CPU coolers on the graphic cards for ages now, why not me?

So I had a socket A stock HSF lying around. I took a quick stop at the local 99cent store, bought a bag of long ziptie, and worked on putting the socket A. I'm just sorry that I didn't have a before the mod pictures, only after.

Temps are excellent, even better than my processor, and that's saying something.

Idle: 33c
Load: 52c

The stock fan connects to the nearby system_fan on my motherboard, since it doesn't fit the fan on the GPU itself. Also, hwmonitor reports that particular fan to be spinning at near 5000 RPM full blast :eek:, but luckily I'm deaf. At least it's good for something!

I did the exact same thing on a 7600GS. Although the heatsink was a thermaltake branded one, but it was pretty much the same thing you did. :)

Back