Post your "computer-with-a-lot-of-HDDs" here

I think that all of you are single:D

j/k....but not. My wife freaks out because my home file server has a 160GB main drive and a 3x80 raid 5 for important stuff. I can't believe that a guy has a 10TB home machine and a wife. Unless he has some sort of voodoo spell on her.

bmartin said:
Its work, but we have our "shares"

The closest rack at present time (*this was a 6mo. old pic) is full. Full of 250GB drives....

That chair there is mine, and it is COLD IN HERE! (posting from location shown)
Its nice to see a clean room! Good job. :)

superkdogg said:
I think that all of you are single:D

j/k....but not. My wife freaks out because my home file server has a 160GB main drive and a 3x80 raid 5 for important stuff. I can't believe that a guy has a 10TB home machine and a wife. Unless he has some sort of voodoo spell on her.

No wife... fiance ;) But soon to be ofcourse. She doesn't like the idea of the cash flowing into computers... but I believe it's better than having over 60 pairs of shoes :) She gets a pair of shoes... I get a little hard drive ;)

Ockie said:
No wife... fiance ;) But soon to be ofcourse. She doesn't like the idea of the cash flowing into computers... but I believe it's better than having over 60 pairs of shoes :) She gets a pair of shoes... I get a little hard drive ;)

dont bother being fair, if she gets a pair of shoes and you dont need another HD, you sell the shoes!

You guys inspire me! Here's one of my servers...

bunchofdrives01.jpg

9 drives with room for another 18!!! Running, it sounds like a symphony of vacuum cleaners. ug...

Well, here's my first contribution to this little thread. Not as impressive as some, capacity-wise, I'm afraid.

HD-Rack.jpg

Thats 7x4gb SCSI, and 1x9gb SCSI (The fat one on the right.) The "machine" has 8 Pentium 200-MMX computers with redundant 400watt powersupplies, in a 5u rackmount chassis with integrated KVM and environmental monitoring capacity. I have 3 units, which came with a 28U enclosed, wheeled rack, with integrated cooling and power distribution. Cost? $10 at a gov't surplus auction :) It didn't come with the hard drives, though... I hand built the 68pin cables using a roll of bulk cable that was purchased at another auction, and a bunch of ends bought over the net.

kahm said:
Well, here's my first contribution to this little thread. Not as impressive as some, capacity-wise, I'm afraid.

http://www3.telus.net/~ranko/HD-Rack.jpg

Thats 7x4gb SCSI, and 1x9gb SCSI (The fat one on the right.) The "machine" has 8 Pentium 200-MMX computers with redundant 400watt powersupplies, in a 5u rackmount chassis with integrated KVM and environmental monitoring capacity. I have 3 units, which came with a 28U enclosed, wheeled rack, with integrated cooling and power distribution. Cost? $10 at a gov't surplus auction :) It didn't come with the hard drives, though... I hand built the 68pin cables using a roll of bulk cable that was purchased at another auction, and a bunch of ends bought over the net.

Totally awesome! I just love those old Citrix systems. I worked around them a few years back when I was supporting the USAF here in California. Nice to see 'em again!

jmroberts70 said:
Totally awesome! I just love those old Citrix systems. I worked around them a few years back when I was supporting the USAF here in California. Nice to see 'em again!

You mean Cubix? :) I've never run across someone else who's ever seen one before!

I don't have 2x20amp circuits laying around to run the thing, so I've converted the other two 5u units into ATX cases. I kept the one unit intact just to play with.

kahm said:
You mean Cubix? :) I've never run across someone else who's ever seen one before!

I don't have 2x20amp circuits laying around to run the thing, so I've converted the other two 5u units into ATX cases. I kept the one unit intact just to play with.

ha ha, 'yea. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure they were Citrix!

Looks as if he is more concerned with PSU Molex and cable space.

storagemark score 1236873927163, but will go up to 8347293847286347237234872634 if you plug em in! :p j/k

Sorry for the repost of two pictures, but I wanted to show off the Galaxy family :)

Galaxy 3.0:

Neptune:

MiniGalaxy (For Sale w/o Drives, PM Me):

Well there you have it. Galaxy 3.0, MiniGalaxy, and Galaxy 1.0

DSCN0413.JPG

See Sig, One of my 300gb sata has been RMA'd and replace with a 250gb WD until I get my 300gb back.

20060325-01.jpg

20060325-02.jpg

20060325-03.jpg

To borrow from the TB club thread:

RAID5
3Ware 7506-12 Controller
12x 200 GB IDE
2.0TB with 11 disk array and 1 hotspare

Stripped Dynamic Disk
Promise Ultra 133 TX2 controller
3x 200 GB IDE
Used for backup

Individual Disks
1x 9 GB 10k U160 SCSI (Boot on onboard U160 controller)

2.42 TB formatted

My aging file server. 2x P3 1.0's with 768mb of PC133 ECC in an old CalPC case. I've got a 4th 200gb disk to add as soon as my 3x 5.25 to 5x 3.5 adapter comes in. The 4 backup drives will also probably come off the Promise controller and go onto a 3Ware 6410 that's sitting around unused at the moment to run a simple JBOD array.

zomg, SoulkeepHL, thats a really nice setup you've got there! I wish I had the money to buy some new awesome disks.. Within this summer I will buy a new 300gb or something.

SoulKeep, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pm me with the model of case you have, where you bought it, and how much you paid.

clickclickw00t said:
SoulKeep, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pm me with the model of case you have, where you bought it, and how much you paid.

I would like to know as well. :)

Kaleim said:
I would like to know as well. :)

The case was made by CalPC (www.calpc.com), but I have no idea what the actual model number is. I picked it up off ebay a few years back, and the word at the time was that they were discontinuing the case because it was just too deep. CalPC doesn't have anything matching my case on their site now a days, but they do have even larger cases.

And the case isnt quite stock. I had to cut the rear panel a bit to make the 2+1 redundant power supply to fit. Stock it came equiped with interchangable plates for 1, 2 or 1+1 redundant power supplies (initially I ran it with 1x, and then 2x atx psu's).

Edit: Stock pics with the hotswap ide bays that I don't use any more (traveling a few hundred miles a year wasn't doing the hotswap bays any favors).

One PSU:
DCP02583.jpg

Two PSU:
DCP02586.jpg

And here's how much had to get chopped to fit the 2+1:
DCP02866.jpg

And here's why (standard ATX psu on top):
DCP02782.jpg

Recently put all of these to use at work:

HDs.jpg

I'll post a pic of some racks later.

Where do you get a PSU that big? and how can you fit the case? It seems you only have 8 hd, you're sure you need a PSU that big?

ftbusdatia said:
what the heck is the total space of the "Galaxy Family"? :eek:

Quite a bit :p You can never have enough space.

Happy Hopping said:
Where do you get a PSU that big? and how can you fit the case? It seems you only have 8 hd, you're sure you need a PSU that big?

That's not one Power Supply, there's 3 of them there (I'm not that knowledged on it but he says it's called 2+1). The cables don't come out the back of the PSU, rather you slide them into the casing and the plug into the PCB at the back. It's for redundancy, only one provides power at a time, if it fails the second kicks in, if it fails the thirs kicks in.

This picture might give some explanation:
rdundant.gif

And maybe I'll post some pics of our old server once I put it back together, I believe we have 5 6GB SCSI HDDs in it (used to be 6).

I can finally join the lots o' drives club :)

newsys2.jpg

picture is with old controllers

8x250gig raid 5 storage array on a Rocketraid 2320. 1629 gigs after format + hotspare

2x80 gig unraid system + transfer drive.

All in my Cm stacker.

Happy Hopping said:

As you can see in the pictures, I used to run the system off 2 atx psus (albeit with few drives), but the 2+1 power supply came along at a price I couldn't pass up and I had the case to pull it off in, so I went for it. And the server actually has 16 HDDs, with a 17th waiting to go in as soon as I get another 5.25 to 3.5 adapter.

Oneos said:
That's not one Power Supply, there's 3 of them there (I'm not that knowledged on it but he says it's called 2+1). The cables don't come out the back of the PSU, rather you slide them into the casing and the plug into the PCB at the back. It's for redundancy, only one provides power at a time, if it fails the second kicks in, if it fails the thirs kicks in.

This picture might give some explanation:
rdundant.gif

And maybe I'll post some pics of our old server once I put it back together, I believe we have 5 6GB SCSI HDDs in it (used to be 6).

To elaborate even further, it's actually a 2+1, so I can get power from two at a time, if needed (and in my case, it is needed for the 12v load). The individual modules are 480W, so I can draw a sustained 960W off of it.

Oh and for clarification, more pics of the psu from when I was mounting it for the first time. And again, a standard ATX psu on top for reference.

DCP02785.jpg

And the backplane:
DCP02870.jpg

Haste266 said:
looks like data tapes to me. bad photo quality so i could easily be mistaken.

They also sort of look like HP SATA drives/sleds for HP DL servers, but again, the photo quality is bad, so I could be mistaken too.

LOL, I don't like to clutter my gaming rig up and I didn't feel like setting up a server so I have a Yellow Machine P400T and Buffalo Terastation 1TB. Total of 2TB for all of my movies. Ripping all of my DVDs has been a pain but well worth it. Try having a 5 yr old. I don't know how many times before getting this setup that I had to replace Ice Age or some Disney movie. Now he plops down in front of the Dlink MediaStation that I have linked to my storage drives and voila he has a whole list of movies to pick that can't be scratched.

Weazmeister said:
LOL, I don't like to clutter my gaming rig up and I didn't feel like setting up a server so I have a Yellow Machine P400T and Buffalo Terastation 1TB. Total of 2TB for all of my movies. Ripping all of my DVDs has been a pain but well worth it. Try having a 5 yr old. I don't know how many times before getting this setup that I had to replace Ice Age or some Disney movie. Now he plops down in front of the Dlink MediaStation that I have linked to my storage drives and voila he has a whole list of movies to pick that can't be scratched.

Sounds like an awesome setup! Do any of those storage appliances have gigabit ethernet?

Back