Post the ugliest retail case.

ninethreeeleven said:
I cant see this thread and not get in on it.
Case-CasFox.jpg
I dunno why but the button/LED array on that case reminds me a lot of an old Falcon Northwest case, or maybe one of the Vapochill units... There's just something familiar about it, hmm.

Oh and yea, that fruity Windy Jazz case from Soldam is rather expensive I think, I remember reading a review of it on Maximum PC not long ago. Think it's sides are akin to the CM Stacker's (so air ventilates thru them) but the design just fails on several levels, including the aestethic, ugh.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Maximum PC said the Windy Jazz shit was like $395 or something crazy like that. For that price, you could get two Silverstone TJ-03's, the nicest case ever IMO.

Holy shit guys. If you are going to be obsesive about the price of the Windy AKA Soldamn, you may as well bitch about something you are educated about. You sound like a bunch of old women when you compain about something you don't know.

windy.jpg

Cost of case and PSU 37,000 yen = $345.52
Cost of shipping to the US 22,000 yen = $201.10

they actually start at $281.54 and go up to $409.51 depending on the one you choose and PSU option selected.

So lets call the price $295 for the case, not 450~550. Shipping has nothing to do with the case manufacturer.

Okay, continue bitching :)

STRESSTEST said:
they actually start at $281.54 and go up to $409.51 depending on the one you choose and PSU option selected.

So lets call the price $295 for the case, not 450~550. Shipping has nothing to do with the case manufacturer. Okay, continue bitching :)
$281 is hella costly for a case in my book, dunno about ya... 'Specially considering there's far more impressive offers that cost at 'least a third less. Can't really remember what the first aluminum cases costed back in the day but I'm pretty sure they were going for under $250 fairly quickly as well. /shrug

That's not even that bad, some of the other TT models with the checkered pannels at the front and stuff are even more off-putting. I'm surprised more old OEM cases aren't being mentioned, there's been some truly scary stuff branded with the old Compaq/HP/IBM/Dell logos... :p

Not the ugliest, but I do think the Vapochill cases are doggone ugly. Additional minus to Asetek for not making their page compatible with Mozilla FireFox (I had to use IE to view it).

http://www.vapochill.com/main/page.asp?sideid=387

http://www.vapochill.com/main/page.asp?sideid=385

For people who like a good clean design (or people who think the PowerMac G5 is awesome), I'm still waiting on the coolest case design I've ever seen, but not out yet: The Chenbro Gaming Bomb II, which has front and rear 120mm fan mounts, plus a top mount 80mm, and front audio/USB/FireWire, without having a cumbersome door. Best pics can be found at this EnvyNews thread:

http://www.envynews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6554&st=0&#entry23135

Until then, I'll stick with my AOpen HX-08 full tower, which was pretty darned good in its day, just super heavy. If you aren't LAN-partying, it's still a great case, and it's lasted me over five years now.

any case that
1. has excess plastic pieces
2. has multiple bright colors on it
3. comes with a premod window

i dont like any computer cases except the simpler, higher quality ones. i like almost everything lian li makes and alot of what cooler master makes. the antec sonata is also a cool little case, its constructed well.

part of having a simple case means more possible modding capabilities. If you were an artist, you wouldn't purchase canvas that was prepainted.

In defence of Vapochill cases, yeah they are ugly, but you aren't buying them for the asthetics...

elite.mafia said:
The guardian reminds me of POWER RANGERS! lol.

The Gaurdian is either A. The Megazord or B. A transformer that turns into a robot and zaps ppl and kills other cases that look much better, this way it and its brother "The Nemesis" can reign supreme.

wonder what thermaltake comes next :eek:

sad thing is, i know someone will buy it and think they are 1337 :rolleyes:

Virus2566 said:
part of having a simple case means more possible modding capabilities. If you were an artist, you wouldn't purchase canvas that was prepainted.

In defence of Vapochill cases, yeah they are ugly, but you aren't buying them for the asthetics...

If I'm spending that kind of money, I darn well AM buying them for aesthetics...Primarily cooling, but looks too. I could spend less and get a liquid-cooled setup that will look better, and do most of what I want without having to worry about possible condensation issues. And if I shop around, I can get non-conductive coolant that won't ruin my gear.

Bragging about having a refrigerated case isn't as cool if the case is ugly as sin.

jmahler said:
HOLY COW i want that case!

what is it?

tell me it's not just a mac g5 case tho. :/
No, it's a Lian-Li PC-V2000 where everything goes in upside-down. They have a mid-tower version (PC-V1000) too if you don't need something so huge. But yes, they look a lot like the G5 enclosure.

STRESSTEST said:
hahah, I used to have one of those. Had a plastic pop up handle on top too.
I'll also mention that out of all the 30~40 cases I've owned over the years, this one has the worst cooling of them all.

edit*

Here it is:
http://www.icltd.co.uk/shop/media/suntekpurple.jpg

another

http://www.a-top.com/589/lg_AT589P.jpg

Note from FLECOM: Do not hotlink images, host them yourself.

**Shakes his fist

I used to have that top one in a lime green. Lol I've hade a couple of these cases cause they were like 35$ at my local shop. They were horrible It was like putting your computer in an insulated box they were always 10C hotter than anything else. The funny thing is if you ripped the plastic off of it there was a full case still there. Minus the front.

LyCoS said:
seems like thermaltake just came out with a winner :rolleyes:

http://www.nokytech.net/images/news/enlargedViewShark.jpg[/IMdG][/QUOTE]
I actually like that one...

I really don't find Thermaltake cases that ugly. I think some people just find them fun to bash or something :confused:

kleptophobiac said:
What's wrong with this one?
I see that case and I see a big blank pallette like an empty canvas, waiting,,, no,,, SCREAMING to be modded!

but thats just me :cool:

thehooligan said:
I see that case and I see a big blank pallette like an empty canvas, waiting,,, no,,, SCREAMING to be modded!

but thats just me :cool:

I've had that one. It's cheap, and a little flimsy, but it does make a good mod start point :p

I love stock cases. I love sturdy cases. I love big beige/black cases made of steel. I like cases that could fall down the stairs and only suffer a few scratches to the paint. :) That's what's beautiful to me.

Personally the Apple G4 towers with the pinstripes on the front are the embodiment of fugly. At least in a mass market way..

that windy jazz thing is worse for sure

gr8 thread!!! keep up the hilarious werk. HoOoOOOooOOoWLED at the aluminum foil case! cast another "cliff it" vote to the Thermaltake Lanfire X3-VM2000A. so true ][V][AGIC

Back