Spectre said:
That was the only clue?

lol_hit.gif

revenant said:
http://www.iss-us.com/pci/pci_isa_001/ :D

check the bottom of that page where it says:

"Obtain your free evaluation samples by filling out the Sample Request Form."

I think you can get an eval unit. :)

And what am I gonna do with that chip? Hah, nice. Perhaps someday I will have the opportunity to compose like in the good old days, for now I will wait some more.

Hey i have an old Nvidia TNT2 Ultra (i think its an Ultra) my dad is using it at the moment. I also have an another old card with an S3 GPU on it i will put some pics of them tomorrow when i buy my new camera.

I currenty have an Sapphire Radeon X850XT PE 256MB Dual DVI VIVO PCI-e but thats not important in this thread.

Oldest card I have. If you guys don't mind could you post what you paid for your card aswell? I'm curious how much those older cards went for back in the day.
100_1221.jpg

ok - here's the oldest card which I still have... (sorry - crappy image)

trio64.JPG

My S3 Trio64... ran with a P75 oc'd to 90mhz... smmmmmokin'
lol

EDIT: I think I paid just under $100 for it... it was a package deal with the mobo/mem + cpu.

Dual 24 Mb Voodoo 2' cost $600 ($300 each) when they first came out. I remember testing out my first credit card with that purchase.
It was certinaly the best at that time.

Man, I wish I still had my digicam. Dropped the ancient piece of crap on my last vacation, and broke something in the disk drive.

I've got a whole box full of S3 Trio64's and Trident vidcards in my closet. I've been thinking about making Christmas tree ornaments out of them, since they're not very useful anymore.

I've still got my first salvage computer in the living room. P3-450 Katmai, some strange Via chipset Baby-AT Slot 1 mobo, Intel i740 vidcard (does anyone rememeber these? They were supposed to be really hot shit when first released), matched pair of 8gb Quantum Bigfoot drives, SB AWE32 with a pair of 4mb 70ns 30-pin SIMMs in the memory slots. I literally dug the parts for it out of the dirt at a junk yard. It's my grandparent's email and solitaire machine, and I still play FFVII PC on it from time to time.

What's really amusing is the fact that it's all installed in a friggin huge server case. I've been meaning to grab that case and mod it to fit an ATX board. The current case I use for my machine is a piece of crap, and that enormous server case would give me plenty of room for filtered air plus a watercooling system.

I have a 16MB RIVA TNT2 Pro. Was one of the lucky ones to get it at the time because most people had the non-pro version. I don't even know where it is now. I hope I didn't toss it cuz that would make a good wall hanging ornament.

videocard.jpg

Some nice oldies, my Voodoo 5 is working in my parents computer so I couldn't get it in the pic. So I put an old old modem/sound card in the pic since its about the same size :D .

But we have a:
Trident Something c. '95
Number 9 S3 Vision968 c. '96
2x Stb Nitro Virge circa. '97
Diamond Stealth S220 c. '97
Diamond Viper C330 c. '97
Riva TNT2 32MB c.99
Nvidia Vanta RivaTNT2 64 '00
3dfx Voodoo 3 from I don't when.
And last but not least an old Packard Bell 14.4 modem with Integrated sound featuring SRS 3-d Stereo sound :p

lithium726 said:
this is my absolute favorite card, of all time. i have more older cards ill post later.

Mobility Radeon 9000 AIW - with the ATi Theater200 Chip for Hardware Decoding. Half Height Qualification Sample. Has VIVO too.

mr9000aiw1.jpg

mr9000aiw2.jpg

how do i do the thing that makes it smaller and then you click to make it bigger?

the card runs cool to the touch, even under load. it is silent, and playes HL2 great at 10x7 in dx8.1 with everything on high. the picture quality is amazing for TV viewing, so much better than the POS they call the tv wonder. the only drawback is that the tuner is mono :(

I just knew you would post that.

Well, here are a few fun bits.

The first is my video card collection. (I've got more than this, but these are my more interesting ones.)

From the bottom: ATI Radeon Mac Edition (PCI, 32 MB DDR, VGA/DVI/S-Video,) ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder (the original, AGP 4x, 32MB SDR, DVI/S-Video only plus Antenna/Cable in and breakout box for the video input,) then we have what I recall is a VooDoo3 3500TV (AGP 2x, Ant/Cable in/out plus a custom connector to a breakout box with a thick, barely bendable cable, that has VGA plus video in and out,) the long one is an Apple Display Card. This is a NuBus card for the early Macintosh computers. (This one was shipped with a Macintosh II. It was the original color video card for the Mac.) It has a whopping 256kb of RAM, and is capable of running up to 832x624 at 4 bits per pixel (16 colors,) or 640x480 at 8 bit.

On top isn't a video card, but it's still fun. It's a MicroChannel Ethernet card. Yes, that bastard-child of an expansion bus, IBM's MicroChannel. The obnoxious expansion bus used in IBM's ill-fated PS/2 line. For those who don't remember, PS/2's settings were configured via floppy-disk program. (Instead of 'Del' at startup, for example.) If you added a new card, you had to boot off this computer-model-specific disk, then load the 'setup file' for your expansion card off a second disk. (This wasn't the driver disk, this was a 'hardware setup' disk that was independent of the software driver disk.) Even worse, if the computer detected something different, it would REFUSE to boot until you ran the setup program. So if you lost your original setup disk, and pulled out an expansion card, your computer was useless until you put the card back in. In my case, a card died, so I was SOL.

Next is my floppy collection.
Yes, that big bugger on the bottom is an 8" disk. Single-sided, double density, this one held a whopping 256kb. And if the magnetic coating is still there, it has some old school files on it. (School newspaper articles, probably.) I only had a couple of these, as only the school newspaper still had 8" drives.

Finally is the massive processor collection:
With everything ranging from a 386/16 (with companion 387 floating point coprocessor,) to an Itanium, this is my big daddy collection. Some highlights: 387 math coprocessor (first row, second from the left.) Pentium OverDrive processor (63Mhz Pentium processor for use in a 486 socket, top row, 8th from left with fan hanging off so you can see the text underneath.) Pentium Pro early engineering sample (133MHz, a speed that was never even released! Second row, leftmost. It didn't even have the name 'Pentium Pro' yet, it's followed by two production PPro procs.) 'Klamath' processor. (233MHz engineering prototype of the Pentium II. Again, before it has the name Pentium II. Second row, fourth from left, followed by a 333MHz P2, 266Mhz cacheless Celeron, and 700MHz Coppermine-core P3.) The ultra-rare Pentium II OverDrive (3rd row, sixth from left, this was a 333MHz Pentium II processor with FULL-SPEED L2 cache to go into a Pentium Pro motherboard. It was the only P2 that was more-than-dual-processor capable, and it was almost twice as fast as the fastest Pentium Pro processor. What looks like a Coppermine style 'flip-chip' core is really the L2 cache, the large heat spreader-covered chip is the core.) Right next to that is a Pentium II Mobile (third row, 7th from left, this one was a 'thermal' sample which really meant that it would power up, but not run.) The big honkin monster with what looks like 3 P2 cores is a Pentium II Xeon (sans big black case, one core is indeed a 400MHz P2 'Deschutes' core, the other two are full-speed L2 caches, 512kB each.) Next to that (third row, right end,) is an original Itanium. (If you look, you'll see four long chips (each twice as large as a Coppermine P3,) that are the L3 caches, and the humongous square isn't a heat spreader, it's the gigantic core of the Itanium.) Directly beneath the Xeon and Itanium is a PowerPC 604, taken from a PowerMac that got an upgrade. The processor itself is the tiny square in the lower left quadrant. (It's a flip-chip with a ceramic casing barely bigger than the silicon. The red is the actual chip, the white is thermal paste.) In the lower-left is a Motorola 68040 upgrade for a Macintosh IIci. This bugger plugs into the L2 cache socket in the Mac! Above that are my non-Intel x86 chips, an IBM 486, Cyrix 6x86es, and AMD K6-2. Next (which really should be on the next row down,) is a PowerPC 603e pulled from a PowerBook that got a G3 upgrade.

Oh, and this doesn't include my Macintosh collection. (Now about 10 more than on that webpage.)

Last edited:
damn........

im really glad you explained all the procs to us!

ill have to say.. thats the finest old CPU round up ive ever seen a geek posess

Not pictured are the one-card SLI VooDoo2+2d chipset card that I can't seem to find right now. (I forget who made it, but it has 2 VooDoo 2 chips with 6MB of RAM each, plus a 2d chipset all on one card.) I also have a Matrox Millenium, Millenium 2, and m3D, a GeForce 256 (the original,) GeForce2GTS DDR, and about two dozen other Macintosh NuBus cards, including the first 'accelerated' video card, the Apple Display Card 8•24GC.

Also on the processor area are the P4 and AthlonXP currently in use, plus a couple more Pentiums lying around as 'art' pieces in the house, and a Penitum I use as a beard brush. (I have a fairly curly beard that can get unruly, and soft-bristle brushes don't work, so I use the processor pins to brush it straight.) Somewhere I also have a socketed G3 and a couple more of those 603/604 processor cards like the 604 is on above.

Still at my dad's house is my original IBM PC/XT he bought way back in '84, with it's Hercules graphics card (green-scale monochrome 720x348, baby! Windows 2.0 kicked ass on this puppy back in the day,) AND a CGA card (w00t! 160x100 with 16 colors, OR 320x200 with 4.) MS Paint, Moon Patrol, Alley Cat, such great programs back then. We paid an extra $500 to go from 512k of RAM to the max 640... (It also had a 20MB hard drive on an ISA card, the 'HardCard'. The drive sat on the card itself. I don't know where he got it, but I know we didn't pay for it. At the time (and even still, come to think of it,) he was in charge of ordering computers for his company, so it was probably a promo the manufacturer sent to help 'convince' him to order it for the company. Sadly, the HardCard is long since gone.)

CharonPDX, please tell me that this is just a hobby of yours :eek:

Do you work for Intel or something that you've got all those engineering samples? And finally, could you take a pic of those CPUs which won't force us to strain our eyes too much? :)

(damn... 8" FDs _are_ huge)

Elledan said:
CharonPDX, please tell me that this is just a hobby of yours :eek:

Do you work for Intel or something that you've got all those engineering samples? And finally, could you take a pic of those CPUs which won't force us to strain our eyes too much? :)

(damn... 8" FDs _are_ huge)

Yes, just a hobby. (Well, I do own a computer consulting business, so I guess I am also a 'professional geek'.)

Yes, once upon a time I worked for Intel. Most of the engineering samples were given to me after I left Intel, though. (When I was at Intel, I had the collection mounted on a board hanging on the wall of my cubicle.)

You can see a larger picture (same thing, only not sizes down,) here (*edit: link died). If you want a higher quality pic of any specific processor, just let me know.

Last edited:
CharonPDX said:
Yes, just a hobby. (Well, I do own a computer consulting business, so I guess I am also a 'professional geek'.)

Yes, once upon a time I worked for Intel. Most of the engineering samples were given to me after I left Intel, though. (When I was at Intel, I had the collection mounted on a board hanging on the wall of my cubicle.)
This world needs more geeks like you ;):D

You can see a larger picture (same thing, only not sizes down,) here. If you want a higher quality pic of any specific processor, just let me know.
Hmm... still a bit blurry, but better. I would like to see a close-up of the Itanium, though, considering I've (shockingly) never seen one from nearby :eek:

Thanks in advance :)

(wasn't the Itanium supposed to be a small, efficient CPU considering it moved many high-transistor-count things to the compiler?)

Elledan said:
(wasn't the Itanium supposed to be a small, efficient CPU considering it moved many high-transistor-count things to the compiler?)

If you mean a small and efficent space heater yes :D

Alright, here you are, some Itanium pics:

Edited later, link died, sorry.

Last edited:
Elledan said:
Thank you :)

In comparison with the PIII Coppermine the Itanium's size is almost ridiculous. It reminds me of a multi-core POWER4/5 CPU :eek:

How does the Itanium 2 compare to this one?

I honestly don't know. I left Intel before the I2 was released, and none of my contacts there work with I2 systems.

CharonPDX said:
I honestly don't know. I left Intel before the I2 was released, and none of my contacts there work with I2 systems.
Ah well, time to stop being lazy and do my own research, I guess :p

Thanks for your time :)

but you have cool looking blue heat sinks on that top left card. :)

I have some older stuff too. I have to find a camera to post the pics with. I will try to post them soon. I have a single Voodoo2 BlackMagic 3D SLI card from my second computer ever. Pentium 233 (oooo do you feel the power and wonder that is the P1@233mhz :eek: )

I even have the box from the video card. :D

Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI
matrox.jpg

STB Powergraph64 VLB
stbpowergraph.jpg

The above video card comes from a computer from my former high school. When I was in 7th grade (they had junior high at the time, about 9 years ago) the school bought a bunch of computers, a lab full plus one for every teacher.

opened486.jpg

They all had exactly the same configuration, 100mhz AMD 486 with the STB video card plus a generic 10mbit network card on an FIC motherboard. The also all had the same kind of hard disk, a 500MB Maxtor:

maxtor.jpg

While the computer lab was upgraded a few times, the school has only now, this summer, gotten around to giving the teachers new computers. :eek: The really surprising thing is that they are still working (the one you see above was an extra I got from doing some work there one summer; it's currently serving as my router).

Here is some of the stuff i have laying around collecting dust.

Voodoo2 BlackMagic3D SLI 3D card ($169.99 CompUSA)
the original box the voodoo2 came in (3 pictures)
Diamond S3 Virge 2D card
The system they came from, which still had a 250watt PS back then.

This was a powerful upgrade from the good 'ol IBM 486DX2/50 beast. Ahhh, Doom, Wolfenstein, Comanche, Police Quest, Silent Service, tons of disks...those were the days. Using DOS, having a boot disk for each game, killing pixelated monsters all day long. :D

Seems like alot of people on this forum have kep the Voodoo2 SLI cards from back in the day. There are way more than I expected posted so far. [H]ardcore old school gaming at its finest!!! ;)

Shmuckety said:
Seems like alot of people on this forum have kep the Voodoo2 SLI cards from back in the day. There are way more than I expected posted so far. [H]ardcore old school gaming at its finest!!! ;)
never under-estimate the power of geeks and their hardware :p

BTW: mashie.. you have alot of history behind thoes systems... im going to read about Project Time Machine .. and we might read it in magazines :D

Ynda said:
found this lot while looking for my old trident card.
this 5 1/4 inch 2.5gig bigfoot(what an apt name) next to a normal sized 20gig

Heh, in the PC shop I used to work in the bathroom didn't have a mirror, so we used platters from Bigfoots to make one. :D

Back