post pics of ur p180/p182/190s

If anyone would be willing to mod it for me... I'd be glad to pay shipping to get it done.

mito:

The HSF is mounted to exhaust upward, right? Downside to that configuration is that it pulls air from below, rising off the extremely hot Ultras. You might consider mounting it so that it exhausts toward the back of the case instead, in to the 120mm case fan, which would obviously be exhausting as well. That combined with another fan mounted in the front pulling air in should help things. Well... might help things. Not sure.

Temps have increased... Gonna have to put a fan in the upper HD tray... Any ideas how?

rig001ng4.jpg

Can't you put it in the black fan holder thing?

There's a bracket the right of your circles -- you don't have a fan mounted there already?

There's a bracket in the lower level, right behind the PSU, and before the lower HD tray.

Now the upper HD tray has no fan bracket. Actually, I had to remove the upper HD tray because of the two 8800ultra in SLI.

There's a bracket in the lower level, right behind the PSU, and before the lower HD tray.

Now the upper HD tray has no fan bracket. Actually, I had to remove the upper HD tray because of the two 8800ultra in SLI.

Come on now.
rig001ng4.jpg

That
fancaddy.jpg

+ fan

caddy_with_fan.jpg

= this

system1a.jpg

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

another question: should the air blow towards the vidcards? because the way I see it in the pic above the air is being exhausted towards the front panel, which is closed...

please advise... thank you.

Mount the fan so that it's pulling in from the front, exhausting toward the video cards (or the back of the case) so, airflow front to back. Short answer: Yes. Just screw it on the other way. (fan flipped over)

Also, do something about that huge nest of cables. Run some behind the motherboard tray or something. Seriously.

thank you guys, I'm learning alot from you.

more questions:

1. eagle156's pic, the red fan in the front case, it's blowing the air from inside to outside, however, the front door is closed... why?

2. the 8-pin power cable is over the vidcards, I'm going to buy an extension so that it'll run behind the mb, just like the 24-pin mb cable.

3. as for the vidcard cables (total of 4), not sure if they'll be able to fit behind the MB, I'll have to check that. Two 8800ultras = 4 power cables.........

thank you guys, I'm learning alot from you.

more questions:

1. eagle156's pic, the red fan in the front case, it's blowing the air from inside to outside, however, the front door is closed... why?

2. the 8-pin power cable is over the vidcards, I'm going to buy an extension so that it'll run behind the mb, just like the 24-pin mb cable.

3. as for the vidcard cables (total of 4), not sure if they'll be able to fit behind the MB, I'll have to check that. Two 8800ultras = 4 power cables.........

Ignore Eagle's pic. You want the fan blowing toward the cards not away. That said, there is air available to the fans even when the door is closed. There is actually a ~1/2" gap between the door and front of the case, and the sides of this gap are louvered (slit) to allow air in and out. Look closely at your own case and you will see this.

I did the same thing -- bought an 8 pin extension. You might want to consider running it under the cards to the left of all the PCI/PCIe slots, though. It might be long enough for that. Mine I managed to angle under the front of all the cards but it was really too tight running that route and actually put some pressure on the underside of some of the cards, so I wasn't happy with that. Also, I didn't want anything coming through the panel between the PSU/HDD chamber and the motherboard/optical drive chamber for the sake of looks. I may actually screw down a piece of black plexi or similar in place of Antec's adjustable black plastic thing at some point to seal it off completely. As I understand with 2 large cards like 8800's in SLI you could be better off to actually pull the black panel off completely so that the bottom card has more space from which to intake air. Not sure if this is as big an issue with Ultras due to the offset fan, though.

You'll be able to fit the 4 PCIe power cables behind without issue if you take a few minutes to think about routing and use electrical or duct tape to hold the cables in place against the back of the motherboard tray once you have them where you want them. Cleaning up your cabling should help with airflow, some, and thusly with temps.

this is how you make the old version of a p180 look good.

I'll add pix of what I cut when I get home from work. :D

Except that it looks like your heatsink is about to fall off! Sure, it may be sturdy, but thats not the best way to mount it.

I've re-mounted it since then.. I was testing out the temp changes in different moutning positionings... it's facing straight back now. :D

It's blowing air outside to inside. The label is always at the direction the fan blows.

i will show u how to make an old p180 look good il show u when i get home from school:)

I already showed you guys how to make one look good ;-) For those that missed, it, I will post it AGAIN.

window.jpg

window_on.jpg

window_off.jpg

reassembled3.jpg

Hope those temps are under CPU load mito.

I think his temps are fine. remember he has a b3 q6600 so it running at 48c idle is fine. my g0 q6600 runs ~44c idle on stock cooling.

my 8800gts is running at 55c idle so having 2 run at 65c idle isn't bad.

The top 120mm fan stopped working this morning... Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot. Shit, could it be faulty/damaged?

No good..... :mad::mad::mad:

Cheap sleeve-bearing fans don't work well mounted horizontally, as in top exhaust position. My top tri-cool only worked for a month, all the lubricant leaked out of the bearings. :mad:

Get some better fans to replace the tri-cools, anything from a decent company (Delta, NMB-MAT, Scythe, Yate Loon, etc) will be a damn sight better than the ones you have now.

Cheap sleeve-bearing fans don't work well mounted horizontally, as in top exhaust position. My top tri-cool only worked for a month, all the lubricant leaked out of the bearings. :mad:

Get some better fans to replace the tri-cools, anything from a decent company (Delta, NMB-MAT, Scythe, Yate Loon, etc) will be a damn sight better than the ones you have now.

Thank you. I'll be ordering one from NCIX. Any specific models from the brands specified above:

for instance:

Antec TriCool 120MM Case Fan 3-SPEED 1200/1600/2200RPM 25/28/30DBA 39/56/79CFM 3 & 4PINS

any good?

w00t!!!!

That's an Auzentech x-fi prelude squeezed between the two 8800ultras....... :eek:

nevermind, i was thinking of someone else's computer lol/

The top 120mm fan stopped working this morning... Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot. Shit, could it be faulty/damaged?

No good..... :mad::mad::mad:

I hope my top one isn't going to hell too. Everytime i start up my computer it sounds like a wire is getting touched by the fan, but then goes away.

WAY too expensive for a case fan. Put some mid speed Yate Loons in. They'll move more air than the TriCools did on high and make a little less noise than the TriCools did on medium. Or, buy some high speed Yate Loons and a fan controller. Either way you're way better off. Yate Loons run ~$4-5 each.

Now you guys are confusing me.

How's the bearing with the Yate Loons? Good for horizontal position? Thanks........... :)

Now you guys are confusing me.

How's the bearing with the Yate Loons? Good for horizontal position? Thanks........... :)

I've yet to have an issue with mine. I've got 4 running horizontally right now -- 3 on my 3x120 radiator, 1 top mounted inside the case.

It's true that ball bearing or self-stabilizing bearings could last longer in that position, but I don't think it'll be a real issue. It may wear out faster... but it's $3-4 vs. $16.

ok......

Since I needed a third fan anyway, I orderder two.

Yate Loon D12SL-12 120MM Quiet Cooling Fan 1350RPM --- Upper FAN
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM --- Upper HD tray FAN

thanks guys

100% stock P180 (original version)

(thumbnailed, for your thread viewing pleasure :cool:)

Specs in sig (main rig)

Did this a little over 6months ago...

Complete case overview.
IMG_0083.jpg

The ThermalRight HR-03+ with a 120 mm fan attached.
IMG_0087.jpg

The 120mm fan I have strip mounted on the top 3 bays.
IMG_0084.jpg

and from the outside.
IMG_0085.jpg

Finally a little hole I had to cut myself using a dremel.
IMG_0086.jpg

The 120mm fan I have strip mounted on the top 3 bays.
IMG_0084.jpg

Death, I loved that!!!
May I imitate you? :D
I've got an extra 120mm fan.

Question: You have the original rear fan pulling air out and now you have the front fan doing the same...

Haven't you considered having the front fan doing the opposite, that is, push air inside thus forming an air current that'll be exhausted by the rear fan? :rolleyes:

Death, I loved that!!!
May I imitate you? :D
I've got an extra 120mm fan.

Question: You have the original rear fan pulling air out and now you have the front fan doing the same...

Haven't you considered having the front fan doing the opposite, that is, push air inside thus forming an air current that'll be exhausted by the rear fan? :rolleyes:

Imitate all you want :)

On the intake / exhaust question, the idea should be that the front acts like an intake, I have never checked to see if I have it turned wrong though as inserting the fan originally did wonderful things for my Northbridge temp. I just felt succesful and left it at that :D Anyways I will be checking my fan configuration soon as my computer is in need of a little cleaning.

so you're front fan is pulling air out, right?

question 2: how's your upper 120mm fan? never died on you?

jebo why not throw the hd in the lower bay to reduce heat?
I wanted to make sure I kept the Raptor cool. That thing can really heat up. And since I removed the lower bay fan for cable management purposes, it wouldn't get much airflow down there.

I wanted to make sure I kept the Raptor cool. That thing can really heat up. And since I removed the lower bay fan for cable management purposes, it wouldn't get much airflow down there.

even with the lower 120mm fan?

Back