Possible [H]ot Deals: CompUSA store closings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They might be hiding stuff in the back ;) I'm waiting till the last couple days... honestly it's not much effort to drive...

The store in Dallas across from their HQ has had the most pathetic closing sale in the history of commerce.

Walked in for the last time yesterday, the store is down to about 1/4 - 1/6 full, nothing left but:
- smashed boxes (would you buy an open-box video card when the box has been smashed, it's marked all sales final, and priced 30% above Fry's?)

- loose keyboards, wireless mice and keyboards with no receivers, a steal at $60!

- $1000 laptops that have missing keys. Who knows what else is missing.

- a few 15" crt monitors for $85 (wtf), 19" LCD's for $239 (!!?!)

- and my personal favorite, a few LCD and plasma displays that have been on for god knows how many hours, priced 20% above what everyone else in the world charges for brand new models...27" Olevia @ $489 :rolleyes: .

The security guards were keeping an eye on me...I must have looked strange trying not to bust out laughing for no apparent reason.

A few weeks ago when they were still advertising 10-30% off, the store mysteriously cleared a lot of inventory in no time - as if everything was shipped off to another store that is remaining open, and the closing store was left with floor displays and open box stuff. Somehow they are still managing to sell this crap at vastly inflated prices.

People rented all sorts of things, including hard drives, RAM, etc., to be used as diagnostic equipment.

It should be mentioned that most online stores also charge a restocking fee in addition to expecting you to pay return postage.

Most online stores do. My point was that I'm willing to deal with those establishment's restocking fee because their price is far lower.

My paying a significantly higher price locally on an item is contingent on convenience and service. If I get neither, there is no reason for me to pay the extra price. I'd rather wait an extra day or five to get an item then.

I do agree, however that items like processors and RAM (that is, BYOC type stuff) should have a different policy than the wireless router you couldn't get working. There's way too many people that don't know what they're doing when they purchase equipment like that. However, there needs to be a little more give-and-take from a local store, or there's no reason to pay an extra 15-40%.

If you look you can find some decent deals. Personally I think the two new in box Apple Macbooks in my store, for 15% off MSRP are a pretty good deal, not great but still a nice bargain. As for the rest of the deals I personally find them to be crap.

I do agree, however that items like processors and RAM (that is, BYOC type stuff) should have a different policy than the wireless router you couldn't get working. There's way too many people that don't know what they're doing when they purchase equipment like that.

Not to sound like a dick but that reasoning is why stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, and the rest offer a service to go out to the customer's home and do a professional install of the network.

The main problem I had was that people were too cheap to pay for such a service and were pissed off that my sales associate wouldn't just walk them through step-by-step on how to install it. Essentially they were doing the same thing as if they had just bought a new alternator from a mechanic and then got pissed if the mechanic didn't just show them how to install it in their auto for free.

The other problem I had was with the 40 - 50 year old crowd and their arrogance. I had these business men come in and listen to my sales associates, who were barely in their 20's, talk about how they have installed their elaborate home networks. The older customers would tell my sales associate that, and I quote, "if a young pup like you can do it, I should have no problem doing it myself". They would be back a week later trying to return it because they could not get it set up.

Yes. to the average geek on this board these services are a rip off but you have to remember that we are not the average computer customer. These services are intended for them. The offering of these services and the implementation of a restocking fee are there to cut down on the amount of merchandise that the stores have to return due to the ignorance of the average user. Now on a personal note, in my store if the customer was not trying to return a laptop, projector, processor, or motherboard, and he or she wasn't a complete dick to me, I would take care of them and waive the restocking fee.

I went through something similar to this when I had a part time job at Computer City back in the 90s. Ironically it was CompUSA that bought us out, but until that went through we had several phases and price shifts through the process.

1. somewhat marginal price reductions until a few days before the liquidiators were brought in. This is basically the last time the company could clear profit on anything as when the liquidators took over they had bought the stock and remarked everything. This is the golden hour if it takes place here, make sure to rush them just prior to the liquidators coming.

2. Liquidators reprice everything based on their purchase of the entire stock. In some cases prices went down and in some they went up, but the golden hour was definately over.

3. Purchaser closes down the liquidation process. If someone is buying these stores, at some point part of their purchase agreement will be to lock down the liquidation process and buy back the stock that is remaining. At this point, the sales are over but you do not see the magical reductions in this phase or even just prior to.

Not sure if it is following the same liquidation route that we did, or if they are just going to sell the stuff and send the stock to the remaining stores at some point, but keep an eye out for liquidator involvement.

The only thing they hide in the back is shelving.

Exactly. There is not a damn thing hidden in my store. The liquidator wants everything out to sell. The only thing we have "locked up" are extra laptops that are already out on display. Event then we have signs on the laptops letting the customers know how many we have left new in box. The liquidator is so strict that employees are not even allowed to hide a product that they want to buy, that is a terminable offense.

The liquidator is so strict that employees are not even allowed to hide a product that they want to buy, that is a terminable offense.

While it may be doesn't mean employees will not try to hid shit. I mean its not like they are going to have the job much longer.

What are you guys smoking? I found all the good stuff hidden in the back. That's where I got my Vista MCE remote and copy of Vista Home Premium for $5.

One guy in front of me snagged an open box (brand new almost) Ninetendo DS for $59.

Thats a steal. The thing was brand new!

All the other deals suck. The only other good thing was Monster Component Shielded cables for $40 which usually go for 120. I hate monster so I didn't even bother.

Exactly. There is not a damn thing hidden in my store. The liquidator wants everything out to sell. The only thing we have "locked up" are extra laptops that are already out on display. Event then we have signs on the laptops letting the customers know how many we have left new in box. The liquidator is so strict that employees are not even allowed to hide a product that they want to buy, that is a terminable offense.
Yeah. My store only has like 5 boxed laptops which are locked in a cage in the front of the store. There's nothing to hide and no reason to hide it.

While it may be doesn't mean employees will not try to hid shit. I mean its not like they are going to have the job much longer.
if they get fired, they don't get their two weeks severance.

picked up vista basic for 60. Had some pretty decent deals, alot of 40-60% off but there wasnt much product left in the store.

I picked up Vista Home Premium upgrade for $68.95 tonight, discounted from a $159.99 sticker price.

Tukwilla, WA Compusa is down to a few console games stuff, 2-3 keyboards, some overpriced ram, and a few large plasma TV's. The only thing I picked up was an XBOX 360 faceplate for $9. I was thinking about getting the Gyratron Media Keyboard and remote but with 40% off its still like $120 item that I don't really need.

hah... well I'll check out bellevue... I highly doubt I'll find anything good... but... never know...

Rockville (50-70% off) and Gaithersburg (40-60) MD

Intel C2D e6400 111.00 (I got the last one in Rockville)

Motorola "Ming" a1200 cellphone 240.. (normally 600..yikes!!)

It's about time the deals got good. I was going to stop by before my v-ball match today, but it was raining like hell (tornado sighting), so I didn't bother going out to the Hulen store.

Novi, MI - 40 to 60% off.
Console games are 40% and PC games are 50% - selection is crap.
Vista is 40% off, but I think it was mostly upgrade versions (I didn't see any Ultimate full versions).

I need to check out the Lynnwood WA location again... last I checked it was 30-50%, but there was no good deals :(

It was funny, last time I was there I used the laptops to go on the internet to check newegg and what not for price comparisons... hahaha...

50-70% off so I picked up this bad boy here for $450

P1010085.jpg

P1010087.jpg

Lucky bastard.. I had my eye on one of those, but when I went back to get it, it was gone. :(

Absolutely nothing at the Encinitas (San Diego) store.......picked up a can of compressed air :rolleyes: (can't have too many of those :p )

If anyone's interested, Totowa-NJ (Rt 46 West) has an X-Fi Xtreme-Gamer for $60 (original seal). Keep in mind, only one left. I was thinking about it, but PCI slots are bad for me. No case to support them. :p

I also just picked up a Jabra BT-250v for $30 including tax. :) I miss my old one, whose battery died.

Hah the olevia I saw was a 20" for $300

Bellevue, WA was a joke... Vista was 50% off...

Only mediocre deals was an RCA Hd-DVD player for $270 , MV2010 HP Network Media Drive 300gb for $200... and an Xbox 360 HD for $60... 100packs of DVD's were still $40 with 40% discount.... Office Depot had them for $25... ?

I walked over to the office depot and grabbed this for $25... hah...

office.jpg

$150 portable printer + refill kit + livewire :)

Went to the one in Springfield NJ they pretty much had nothing... but I did pick up the last 4 of the Logitech 2142 Battlefield special edition G5 laser mouse for me and a few friends $34 a piece. Thought that was a pretty killer deal for that price

Picked a 4GB USB Flash Drive today for $34.63 including tax at the Fort worth CompUSA. Regularly $79.99. Very little left in the store. The Arlington CU actually had more stuff, but prices were higher. They are literally selling EVERYTHING, including chairs and such from the employee break room. They had pictures of lockers, chairs, etc with a sign saying SOLD on the picture.

jsut went to my compusa in Vienna, VA and picked up a Razer Barrucada AC-1 Soundcard for $80... was looking at some soundcards and decided to jump on this as it was new i didn't have to fill in a rebate...

also there 2 more left.... so mite go pick up another one on sunday if there are any left and they bump the percent off to around 80-90...

Went to the one in Springfield NJ they pretty much had nothing... but I did pick up the last 4 of the Logitech 2142 Battlefield special edition G5 laser mouse for me and a few friends $34 a piece. Thought that was a pretty killer deal for that price

LOL

You missed the Woot.com + Dell deal...

I got my 2142 G5 for $30 shipped... and Dell had free shipping + 50% off the original G5 for $30 as well...

Not bad though for a retail store :)

The Parsippany, NJ store is trying to sell a broken 40" LCD TV for over $300. It needs around $2,000 in parts.
I feel bad for the person who buys it thinking it is working... (just about everyone thinks it is)

The Parsippany, NJ store is trying to sell a broken 40" LCD TV for over $300. It needs around $2,000 in parts.
I feel bad for the person who buys it thinking it is working... (just about everyone thinks it is)

at the store i went to, they were selling a broken Panasonic LCD (or Plasma) tv, where the screen was all busted in for $50....

plus got 3 xbox 360 games for a total of $40.. :D not a bad day.. if compusa had this everyday... i would have missed the damn store...

That store was the first CU I ever want to and (maybe it's sad I mention this) is what really got me into computers. I was there its first year it opened up and used to get excited anytime I could get a ride there (I was too young to drive back then). RIP Parsippany CU. I'm TX now.

I just got some PXC150 headphones for $5.50. These are some $70 dollar headphones here. Listening to them right now, and they sound great.

I just got back from the one closing in Raleigh and bought a bfg 7900gs for $130 after tax. I took a gamble to see if this had the unlockable pipelines and when I home and fire up rivatuner it unlocked! So basically I just bought a 7900gt for $130 :D

I just got back from the one closing in Raleigh and bought a bfg 7900gs for $130 after tax. I took a gamble to see if this had the unlockable pipelines and when I home and fire up rivatuner it unlocked! So basically I just bought a 7900gt for $130 :D

LUCKY!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back