Possible [H]ot Deals: CompUSA store closings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't motivated and was dead tired, sweaty, and sandy after playing 3 games of outdoor volleyball today. So I decided not to go to CompUSA afterward. If anyone goes to the FW (Hulen) CU, please report back.

Single chip 256 rambus memory for 140 before 50%.... Jeez.

But I picked up Guildwars Nightfall for 20 and a ipod nano dock with wireless remote for 20 as well.

I just picked up a Visiontek X1950PRO agp for $149 from the StompUSA store in Highland Park, Illinois. I was $179 on Monday. I was tempted to wait until tomorrow and take the chance that it might be marked down another 10%, but from Monday until today they sold about 85% of their higher end videocards. The cheapest X1950PRO agp "the egg" has is $185. Now I have reason to fire up my old socket A machine again.

Was in Freehold CompUSA earlier in the week. Man what a depressing atmosphere, and did I mention there was nothing left. Happy to see you go!

Any copies of Vista left at any of the stores you guys have been to?

Only Home Basic here in SW Michigan. I think everyone else rumbled through and picked up the higher end versions before I got there.

I've gone several times in the past few weeks, was just there yesterday. I may stop by on one of the last days, since they have a few PCMCIA Wifi cards left, and maybe I can get a good enough deal on one or two (good to have on hand when a client gets ahold of you with an older laptop) to make it worthwhile.

Picked up the last Netgear JGS516 in Ann Arbor, MI yesterday for 50% off... getting pretty empty, a couple Vaio lappys left in box - lots of display models at the same 30% discount (but that was yesterday).

I thought my "local" (50 miles away) CompUSA had closed months ago. I was in that area today and saw the lights still on, so I pulled into the parking lot. There was a sign on the door that said 5 days till closing, everything 60-70% off. I went in and snagged a bunch of Cat-5e cables and the following:

Motorola SB5101 Cable Modem - $15.99 :eek: (will replace my old crusty SB4100)
APC 500VA UPS - $48, I got the last one too.
Windows Vista Premium Upgrade - $48
They also had a toner cartridge for my SCX-4100 Printer - $24, I got the last one of these as well.
I also grabbed some AA and AAA batteries

The signs said all networking stuff was 70% off, but the cable modem rang up as 80% off.

They had a few display notebooks left, but they weren't marked down enough to bother. The fliers said that the discounts go up as it gets closer to closing. Sunday everything left will be 90% off, and Monday there will be further discounts and they will not close until they get rid of the last thing.

Any copies of Vista left at any of the stores you guys have been to?

My store had several copies of Vista Home Premium Upgrade, tons of Home Basic Upgrade and Business Upgrade. They even had some Home Basic full versions. Since the Home Premium is only $48, I may go back and snag the rest and sell them on Ebay, they're going for $80 and up.

I plan to go back Sunday to see if I they'll mark those notebooks down, or just go wait at the door until they open Monday and get what I can to re-sell.

They had quite a bit of the SB5101 Cable modems, and a bunch of wireless gear left.

^ $48 for 500 VA APC UPS is pretty expensive. I got a new 1500 VA APC UPS for $50 after MIR back in Feb from OD. :cool:

My store had several copies of Vista Home Premium Upgrade, tons of Home Basic Upgrade and Business Upgrade. They even had some Home Basic full versions. Since the Home Premium is only $48, I may go back and snag the rest and sell them on Ebay, they're going for $80 and up.

I wouldn't bother - where do you think all the non-upgrade versions went? Every CU around here has been cleaned out of everything but the Basic Upgrade.

I am sure you can get a couple of dudes for 50% off, if that's how you roll :p

Hey, if they can clean my home and cook, sounds good to me :D lol

Anyways... Heading over there in a couple mins, probably my last visit of CompUSA evar :eek:

Well I am back (Executive lunch break, lol). Place is polished... nothing left.

People were also like savages too, the moment you look at something they litterally jump infront of you to get it so you don't take it.

Some asian kid cut me off and jumped infront of me, grabbing the two logtech G5's I was looking at :rolleyes: He took them, little does he know that $32 for them is still not a great deal.

Oh, and as I was checking out one of the last few sony laptops out, some huge woman snowballed towards me screaming "this is mine" with the sales guy trailing behind her :rolleyes: People....

They did have one hell of a deal, that was a large high capacity network color laser printer, for $150... problem is that I already have one :(

So you got a $150 rebate on that APC 1500VA UPS?

It was a Feb. 2007 deal from Office Depot. Whatever the regular price is, it was on sale for $100 and then it had a $50 MIR. So it came out to $50 + tax on $100 + stamp. Great deal and a great UPS, even though it's got a old skool beige color instead of a more desirable black or charcoal color.

There was a thread on it on SlickDeals.

Well I am back (Executive lunch break, lol). Place is polished... nothing left.

People were also like savages too, the moment you look at something they litterally jump infront of you to get it so you don't take it.

Some asian kid cut me off and jumped infront of me, grabbing the two logtech G5's I was looking at :rolleyes: He took them, little does he know that $32 for them is still not a great deal.

Oh, and as I was checking out one of the last few sony laptops out, some huge woman snowballed towards me screaming "this is mine" with the sales guy trailing behind her :rolleyes: People....

They did have one hell of a deal, that was a large high capacity network color laser printer, for $150... problem is that I already have one :(

LOL It sounds like the same species of people that are out on Black Fri. I would've looked at the worst deals to attract attention there and fake the customers out a little. :p

Haha, someone just posted them here for 25$ from dell.

I also forgot to mention they had a stack of Logitech G15 gaming keyboards. I almost got one, but I like my small simple Saitek Eclipse II keyboard. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go back today or not. I was only over there yesterday because I had an early appointment in the area and just happened to drive by. If I go back today, I'll have to play in Friday traffic. I want to pick up another copy of Vista Home Premium for myself even if I don't get extras to sell on eBay.

The deals I found in Houston (Webster Store) is :

$30 for Vista
$200 for Server 2003 (Usually 1k?)
Some networking crap.
MicroSD prices match newegg.
WoW:BC for $15

and ROFL, I cant believe they are still selling 500mhz Celeron machines from the back for $50.

Picked up the razer barracude sound card for $80. So far, sounds worse then my old SB Live 5.1. Everything sounds hallow and distant.

All the software I had priced out and checked ebay on typical selling prices, mostly mac software, was completely sold out. Damn it, I was going to buy every single one, totaling around $5,000, and they were completely sold out once they dipped below 50% off.

I didn't go back yesterday like I planned, but I managed to get myself to go this afternoon. All copies of Vista Home Premium and Business were gone, but they had a bunch of Home Basic full and upgrade versions.

I found two more toner cartridges for my printer, this time they were marked at 80% off, so I picked those up. They had a selection of crap in a pile for $1 each. I found some things that you run through your laser printer to clean the drum, so I grabbed two packs (10 each pack) of those. I was thinking of buying an entertainment center thing that was 80% off of $400, but decided not to get it. I picked up some more batteries and a couple of other little things.

I proceeded to the checked out, but she only had one bag, so she put the little stuff in it and I carried the boxes out. I get home tonight and notice she didn't put those printer cleaner things or my batteries in the bag, and I only got 70% discount on the toner cartridges instead of 80% like they were marked. :mad: I should have checked my receipt before I left. I don't want to go back again, and I doubt they'd do anything about it if I did.

Oh, and all of those copies of Vista Home Basic were gone 5 minutes after I got in the store.

I decided to swing by the Monroeville, PA CompUSA store today, but unfortunately they were almost totally picked over. They had a ton of cables at 80% off (including a lot of Monster cables), a lot of network adapters and ethernet routers at 70% off, and a crapload of World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade copies. They also had a big stack of Vista Home Basic upgrade versions at $20 a pop. Nothing else was really noteworthy.

The store had a sign up that said "2 days left!" so if you're hot to trot to get any of that stuff then I suggest you visit the store ASAP.

Smyrna store in Cobb County is basically empty except for Vista stuff , some overpriced lappies, and furniture (store stuff)

got a TT reservoir for 12 bucks.. it was worth the nice chrome 1/2" & 3/8" compression fittings alone.

Picked up the razer barracude sound card for $80. So far, sounds worse then my old SB Live 5.1. Everything sounds hallow and distant.

You might want to check on that sound card. They should blow your sound blaster cards out of the water. Heck, to me it even sounded better than my Fatal1ty X-Fi, others also agrees.

Anyways, it seems as if this sale is done and over with. Stores are all closed now. Sad part in our history. :(

Smyrna store in Cobb County is basically empty except for Vista stuff , some overpriced lappies, and furniture (store stuff)

Thanks for the heads up, now I have no reason to visit my old store. I think they've started closing before closing time actually comes around too.

It's official ladies and gentlemen! They are all closed! Who wants to take bets on when the rest close? I give it about 3-4 months, that is assuming they got more than a nickle per pound instead of a penny per pound.

It's official ladies and gentlemen! They are all closed! Who wants to take bets on when the rest close? I give it about 3-4 months, that is assuming they got more than a nickle per pound instead of a penny per pound.
Naaah, that's too soon. I'd say a year. Unless they sell out to Best Buy or Circuit City.

Nah, the competition wouldn't sink money into them. CompUSA stores are too small compared to the competition, really. Most CompUSA stores are half the size based on square footage that a Circuit City or Best Buy take up. Nah, we'll see CompUSA probably fade to the wayside just as Computer City did almost a decade ago, never to be seen again and only existing in archives of forum postings just like this one. :)

Honestly, in all the years I shopped at CompUSA stores I never once found a good deal or a price I couldn't beat someplace else by a great amount. What I always got a kick out of was seeing that "clearance table" they usually had someplace in the store with used hardware wrapped up in shrinkwrap, sometimes missing components, or cables, parts, manuals, etc - and they were still marking them at a price like 4% under the normal retail on-the-shelf price.

An old P3 1 GHz machine I remember distinctly here at the Vegas store years ago: it was brand new on the shelf for like $1500 or so, they had one sitting on that clearance table, no cables, the keyboard was missing some keycaps, the mouse was broken, the front panel on the machine was scratched like I can't even describe, the back panel was dented, etc... they marked it $1399 without the monitor that came with it brand new and I nearly cracked a rib laughing so hard.

Idiots... no wonder they're finally tanking as a company.

As far as here in Vegas is concerned, there are only two places I shop for components anymore: Fry's and PC Club if I'm closer to it. They're not too bad in terms of pricing, but Fry's... sweet geezus, there is simply nobody on the planet that can touch them at this point. I hope they expand like a weed growing in a field someday, but I think they'll keep themselves limited.

500GB drives for $100, 750's for $199, E4300 Core 2 Duo's + mobo for $99 out the door... 2GB sticks (that's a 2GB single stick, not 2x1GB) for $99? Un-fucking-believable pricing...

/me lubz Fry's... :p

So, good luck, CompUSA... I for one won't miss you when you're gone, especially that Store Manager back home in Virginia that refused to give me an exchange on a $2700 Sony desktop PC system that blew the mobo on the 15th day I owned it because CompUSSR as I like to call them has a 14 day return - and technically it was the 14th day when I returned it. Good riddance. :D

Honestly, in all the years I shopped at CompUSA stores I never once found a good deal or a price I couldn't beat someplace else by a great amount. What I always got a kick out of was seeing that "clearance table" they usually had someplace in the store with used hardware wrapped up in shrinkwrap, sometimes missing components, or cables, parts, manuals, etc - and they were still marking them at a price like 4% under the normal retail on-the-shelf price.
Now CompUSSR will not be missed for a lot of the shit they did, they did have the occaisonal good BF or some other deal (cough*my $40 Super Lanboy thanks to the rebate done by Antec*cough).

As far as here in Vegas is concerned, there are only two places I shop for components anymore: Fry's and PC Club if I'm closer to it. They're not too bad in terms of pricing, but Fry's... sweet geezus, there is simply nobody on the planet that can touch them at this point. I hope they expand like a weed growing in a field someday, but I think they'll keep themselves limited.

500GB drives for $100, 750's for $199, E4300 Core 2 Duo's + mobo for $99 out the door... 2GB sticks (that's a 2GB single stick, not 2x1GB) for $99? Un-fucking-believable pricing...

/me lubz Fry's... :p
Now that I agree with :D

Nah, the competition wouldn't sink money into them. CompUSA stores are too small compared to the competition, really. Most CompUSA stores are half the size based on square footage that a Circuit City or Best Buy take up. Nah, we'll see CompUSA probably fade to the wayside just as Computer City did almost a decade ago, never to be seen again and only existing in archives of forum postings just like this one. :)

Actually, you know that CompUSA actually bought Computer City, right? One of the two Paramus, NJ, stores was a Computer City conversion and I think the Philly CompUSA that I went to once was also a Computer City. Back in the day, my mom had a Computer City credit card (cuz that's how I got my HP Pentium-MMX 166) and when they shut down it got converted into a CompUSA card.

Yah, I knew that about Computer City. When I first came to Vegas in 1997 Computer City had like 3 stores in Vegas alone; Henderson had just started to really sprout but there really wasn't anything like there is now over at the Galleria on Sunset or anything even similar to the buildup they've created. And I hit those 3 stores when they announced they were closing, found some decent prices - mind you that was late 1997-early 1998 - and then they were history.

Hell, one location over on west Charleston still had a "Computer City" sign out front until about 2 years ago; stores were long gone but that one sign must have slipped under someone's radar and hung around for 8 years or so.

I have shopped at the one CompUSA in Vegas many times. Back in late 1999 I even got to play around on the Quake 3 Tour bus when it made a stop there. Got to meet Katherine Anna Kang, John Carmack's wife (not sure if they're still together, though) and walked away with a whole armload of neat freebies: tshirts, hats, mousepads, gadgets, artwork and a few other items when the day was done. Cool bus too, I still have the photos I took, maybe I'll toss up a gallery someplace. Wonder what happened to that bus, actually... probably in a junk yard or a parking lot someplace gathering dust.

Oh well, life moves on. They could have done things so much better with CompUSA, could have really become "The Computer Superstore" they always claimed to be. Even though Fry's has a small number of stores, their prices just blow every other competitor out of the water across the board, so that's who I'll deal with here in Vegas from now on, with PC Club as a backup.

Last little tidbit of personal experience with CompUSA:

Years ago after I left Death Valley (worked there at the resort hotel for 5 years solid) I returned home to the east coast of Virginia, near Virginia Beach. I applied to work at a CompUSA and the guy, after seeing my resume, was drooling at the mouth to hire me but he had to clear it with the Ops Manager and Store Manager. Told me to call or come back in a few hours.

I go out shopping, have lunch, knowing this job is as good as mine and I can almost demand whatever price I want to be the primary bench tech for them. I go back to the store and the guy was so sullen and down when I saw him. He walked over and said, "Sorry, but I can't hire you. They just sent out a memo like 2 hours ago companywide putting every single store on a hiring and spending freeze. Seems we're shaking up the financial side and they're restructuring so... maybe some other time" and then he walked away with his head down.

Now, a mere what, two months ago, CompUSA basically did the same thing: without any advance notice or even a hint of what was happening, they sent out a companywide message saying "Sorry, but <xxx> store is closing, soon, so start looking for another job, suckers..."

Sympathy for the Devil? No way in Hell... and I worked there for 5 years, so I know all about it. :p

I have to give props where they are due. Here in south east MI, there are two CU's closing, and I have to recognize the Best Buy's in the area, They have actually contacted the closing stores and recruited people to come over to 3 opening Best buy stores. They even let the CU employees stay at their stores untill they closed before moving over.
While I understand that BBY was acting in its own interests, but at the same time, the way they handled it was very professional, and being as I have friends that worked at both companies during this time, It was cool fo them to extend a hand like they did.

I have to give props where they are due. Here in south east MI, there are two CU's closing, and I have to recognize the Best Buy's in the area, They have actually contacted the closing stores and recruited people to come over to 3 opening Best buy stores. They even let the CU employees stay at their stores untill they closed before moving over.
While I understand that BBY was acting in its own interests, but at the same time, the way they handled it was very professional, and being as I have friends that worked at both companies during this time, It was cool fo them to extend a hand like they did.

QFT, definitely. Very cool thing for BB to do, I'd say. A shame that bad management and overpriced merchandise compared to the competition at large ruined yet another company, but it's nice to know at least some of the stragglers aka ex-employees will get to stay employed is a good thing.

Kudos to that BB you're talking about, and hopefully some other stores around the nation will step up and make offers like that or already have.

....and so is this thread :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back