Playstation - "We're not getting back online until we feel safe"

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
Sony has just admitted they shut down their own network to re-evaluate their security. Anyone know a good anti-virus?;)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.

new to the party... can someone explain why sony was attacked? a link to some back story or some cliffs would help.

heee ok.

1. Due to Playstation having linux capabilities the hacking community has left it alone since it's inception. It wasn't until late last year that a hong-kong company finally released a USB key that allowed you to potentially play Back-ups. The company was promptly shutdown.

2.Playstation Removes "OtherOs" via vague firmware update.

3. Geohotz, known has the guy who jailbroke/unlocked the Iphone allowing you to run homebrew and use any cell carrier instead of being stuck in an ATT contract, Sent an open letter to Sony stating that he had the master key and if they didn't put the OtherOs option back in he'd release it to the public.

4. Sony takes Geohotz to court.

5. Geohotz releases the master key to the general public.(not a crack but the key allowing you to open up the PS3. There's still some hoops involved to get to backup's/homebrew, but the PS3 has never interested me enough to investigate. Requests for help regarding jailbreak will be ignored. Do not PM me asking.)

6. Geohotz contacts the EFF and opens up an account for donations because Sony is seeking to get precedent making Console modifications illegal. Despite some bad youtube press the response is overwhelming Geohotz gets the defense money he needs.

7. With in a week of the trial starting Sony gets Geohotz website shutdown and gets the IP's of anyone who donated to him or watched his videos. Additionally they got the all of his personal equipment, computers, etc.

8. Geohotz goes on springbreak, the thirdparty holding his gear lets Sony know that they need Sata-controllers to read the hard drives he turned in. Sony announces to the press That Geohotz fled the country and is withholding evidence.

9. Anonymous steps in and starts Attacking Sony's network effectively taking down PSN. unbanning many banned consoles and banning corporate consoles

10. There's some argument back and forth mainly dealing with Sony trying to get the trial moved to California from New Jersey. Sony and Geohotz settle. The details are sealed. Anonymous stops their attacks amid this. PSN comes back.

11. Sony PSN goes down. Sony says someone is attacking them. Anonymous refuses credit.

12. Geohotz donates all funds leftover to EFF.

13. Sony announces they actually shutdown PSN to investigate better security measures before coming back up.

14. Sony has now clarified that during the attacks data theft was rampant and they've had to shut everything down until they can confirm their service and servers are secure from further attacks.

15. While there are no reliable sources on the issue it's become clear that the original Anon attack highlighted security vulnerabilities in Sony's Network allowing unidentified persons the means to access Sony's internal database. up to 100 million or as low as 25 million (depending on source) accounts have been compromised. See Sony Blog for details on compensation and Despite earlier reports claiming the PlayStation Network would be up and running by May 31, Sony has publicly denied the existence of any such deadline.

Update when something worth mentioning comes up.

Last edited:
Something very big must be happening for them to take this decision.
I now NEED to know what it is! :p

They can't go online unless they know they've fixed the problem, meaning they know exactly how the intrusion happened. No mystery there. Can be hard if you don't have logs for instance.

This is standard procedure when compromised. As much as this sucks, they are doing the right thing. I also think they are analyzing everything so that the groups responsible are going to realize that they bit off more than they can chew this time. If customer data was believed to be compromised, they have an obligation to let us know ASAP, however.

But yeah, im kind of annoyed its down. Playing my PC and 360 in the meantime, but i do have some new titles on PS3 id like to be playing online past few days. Hopefully soon.

I don't have a PS3 but didn't someone mention steamworks is still up?

will the hackers get arrested for this or get away with it like always?

No, they're just too fast!

hackers.jpg

will the hackers get arrested for this or get away with it like always?
Probably get away with it cause they are from some other country where they can't be touched.
Sad that people got to ruin shit for paying customers (They bought the console) just cause they are butt hurt.

Probably get away with it cause they are from some other country where they can't be touched.
Sad that people got to ruin shit for paying customers (They bought the console) just cause they are butt hurt.

Or maybe Sony shouldn't be assholes to their customers in the first place.

Or maybe Sony shouldn't be assholes to their customers in the first place.

Agreed, I own a PS3 and still support the hackers (if this is even hackers to begin with - let's not forget that this is not confirmed, unless I'm not current) because Sony is being a cock.

wow .. they're serious now ... well hope they resolve the problem so people can get back on to psn and game all night long :D

Last I checked while playing Portal 2, I still need to sign into PSN to have access to Steamworks. So basically, Steamworks is down until PSN is back up.

I thought psn was just a one time check for this? or does ps3 not let you go online when psn is down.

If sony would stop screwing over their customers they wouldnt have this issue to begin with. I say the nod here goes to the pirates (if it is because of them good!) Sony promises the sun and the moon but only hands out dog biscuits.

If sony would stop screwing over their customers they wouldnt have this issue to begin with. I say the nod here goes to the pirates (if it is because of them good!) Sony promises the sun and the moon but only hands out dog biscuits.

WTF are you on about?

Let me rephrase it for you. Acting like an asshole makes it a lot more likely that people will fuck you over in return whenever they can.

Oh, you mean where Sony protects their product from pirates?

So in return, big babies(the hacker) and you, think it's all right to fuck with hundreds of thousands of people just because you cant grow the fuck up?

I love your (lack of) logic. It makes it so much clearer now.:rolleyes:

All Sony would have to do, if they really knew who the hackers were, is post their names and addresses.

new to the party... can someone explain why sony was attacked? a link to some back story or some cliffs would help.

Did the piracy start before or after they removed OtherOS?

Hint: It started AFTER they removed OtherOS. Therefore, removing it did squat other than piss people off. Specifically, it did NOT PROTECT THEIR PRODUCTS. It was neither necessary nor sufficient.

Besides, I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that this even has anything to do with that, it's as likely it's just another criminal gang going after CC numbers and email addresses. It's not like Sony are the first to have been penetrated, and they sure aren't going to be the last.

Furthermore, the fact that they've been down this long and that they felt the need to 'rebuild', indicates their security practices have been lax here too.

So in return, big babies(the hacker) and you, think it's all right to fuck with hundreds of thousands of people just because you cant grow the fuck up?

Dude, stop acting retarded. I just said it wasn't alright to do this.

If you disagree that Sony is acting harshly towards their customers, then argue that point instead. I believe Sony has acted harshly against their customers, both with the removal of OtherOS and with the lawsuits against the "hackers".

My point is if you treat people like shit, they're going to treat you like shit. And then everyone's going to be acting like shitbags and doing shitty things. Do you disagree with that logic?

Well both console gaming networks get attacked , MS has done a better job dealing with it and if they detect a hacked console they simply ban it. Sony on the other hand has an over reaction and proceeds to drag you through a civil suit.

Sony now is getting attacked because its made its-self such a large target , starting a crusade against hackers and making its gamers pay for it in turn.

Its still a lame thing for anyone to do as it only really hurts the gamers that simply want to play a game online , it doesn't prove any point to Sony and it won't make them stop there current crusade.

I feel bad for heavy PSN users , Sony requires you to be online for just about everything and is very tied into how PS3 users use there system. At least with Live , if you aren't online you aren't crippled when playing downloaded games.

Hopefully Sony can find out who actually is responsible and take legal action , I don't support hackers in this fashion personally.

Honestly, while I don't think it's "all right" to go breaking into Sony's systems and disrupting service,

PS owners have exactly ZERO legitimate bitch here. You're the ones who volunteered to buy into this stupidly centralized DRM system. Now you can't get into your multiplayer (and in some cases single player) games?

BOO HOO!

If you keep treating setups like this as "okay" you're just setting yourself up for more butt-hurt like this in the future.

Centralized authentication systems like this FOR CONSOLE GAMES is essentially single point of failure.

Owners of these games have my sympathy. Just not a heck of a lot of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not a centrilized authetification system. I could take a PS3 and ride out into an outhouse in the gobi desert, hook up the system to a TV over component and play the games. I could also download games off the PSN before I went and still play them, as I did with wipeout yesturday. If it never came back on I could still play the games on the HDD (all of the downloaded games I own still work), and all the games off disks (ive been able to get the updates for games too).

Its a centrilized player platform so everyone can play together. I'm not quite sure how you get everyone playing together without using some kind of central system. The PS2 used a decentrilized model. Every different game had it's own game servers run and maintained by the developers. 6 months later when they decided they didn't want to bother with the game anymore as theyd sold all the copies they needed, they would just pull the plug on multiplayer and it was no more (monster hunter :(). Its far more easy to sign into one service and have online multiplayer for all of your games, rather then 100s of logins and authentifications for everything.

Haven't you bought a game off steam ever? Or one that uses GFWL, EA downloader, activision whatever etc. Good or bad, this has been standard practice on consoles and PC for the last 5 years.

I still don't get why everyone is so worked up over otherOS, seriously. If anyone actually used it. From experience, it was a load of crap. It was linux, running in next to no memory using only part of the cell engine, with little support or really any ability to do much. It wasn't a full featured PC level experience. If you wanted to use it to check the internet, it was ok, but it wasn't really good for much else, and the PS3 has a basic browser anyway. Perhaps not good, but neither was the other OS.

But, wasn't it was removed when that backup thing first showed up (I can't remember the name, the one based off the debug key)? After that came they started to lock down things, which included the otherOS. Which TBH wasn't a real loss. Most people have a $150 computer that is more capable of running it, I have 3 other computers that I don't run linux on outside of VMs. For the cost of a PS3 you could buy a laptop or netbook that could run it better with more features if you wanted to have a fully functional good linux experiance. When the update came, I gladly got rid of the linux install and partition to free up limited disk space.

Haven't you bought a game off steam ever? Or one that uses GFWL, EA downloader, activision whatever etc. Good or bad, this has been standard practice on consoles and PC for the last 5 years.

No. I refuse to install Steam on my machines. It may limit my choice of games, but c'est la vie! Doesn't mean I don't know anything about Steam.

As for it being standard practice. I've bought games in last few years that haven't required me to sign in to one or more services simply to play the SP game. That's not the case with several PSN and Steam games.

Furthermore, this sort of content management is what's slowly driving me away from gaming in the first place.

I still don't get why everyone is so worked up over otherOS, seriously.

That's because you never used it.

If anyone actually used it.

People DID use it. All Sony did by removing it was spur efforts to crack the device.

From experience, it was a load of crap. It was linux, running in next to no memory using only part of the cell engine, with little support or really any ability to do much.

Early implementations always are raw like this. Given time, the capabilities of the OtherOS could have been exploited more fully. But Sony attempted to make the decision for the system owners.

It wasn't a full featured PC level experience.

Where exactly did I say it was? There are uses for the device beyond "just another PC".

But, wasn't it was removed when that backup thing first showed up (I can't remember the name, the one based off the debug key)? After that came they started to lock down things, which included the otherOS. Which TBH wasn't a real loss for me.

Fixed that for you.

Most people have a $150 computer that is more capable of running it, I have 3 other computers that I don't run linux on outside of VMs. For the cost of a PS3 you could buy a laptop or netbook that could run it better with more features if you wanted to have a fully functional good linux experiance. When the update came, I gladly got rid of the linux install and partition to free up limited disk space.

The long and short of this is, you lacked the foresight to see the PS3 and OtherOS as anything beyond "another PC". Oh well.

No. I refuse to install Steam on my machines. It may limit my choice of games, but c'est la vie! Doesn't mean I don't know anything about Steam.

But almost all games companies are now doing this. Hypothetically sony changes their mind and says all games have to run on their publishers servers in seperate places. Will this make it easier for the consumer? Will it give a better experience?

As for it being standard practice. I've bought games in last few years that haven't required me to sign in to one or more services simply to play the SP game. That's not the case with several PSN and Steam games.

Steam allows you to play offline with most games if you have the login details saved on the PC. The PS3 allows you to play most games without ever logging in (unless it has multiplayer). I've never come acrosss one that does require logging in (several ask you to log in, but you can just ignore it and continue).

Furthermore, this sort of content management is what's slowly driving me away from gaming in the first place.

All DRM is a waste of money, everyone knows that, but people/publishers don't like the believe it. They need to be convinced, i'm not exactly sure how, but not like this.

That's because you never used it.

Yes I did use it, as I already stated. I have the podgy original PS3 which I partitioned out some of the 80gbs and installed the otherOS to. Had lots of fun with a small amount of ram and a barely functioning machine and a pile of white linux live DVD-Rs until I needed the room to install more stuff and the OS had to go anyway.

People DID use it. All Sony did by removing it was spur efforts to crack the device.

I don't remember there being a giant community. I read one article before I got a PS3 saying how it had this feature, I got a distro, tried it out, and never saw or heard anyone mention it really, until it was no longer there, outside of plans to get windows XP installed on it. Also you don't need to crack the device to get linux on it.

Early implementations always are raw like this. Given time, the capabilities of the OtherOS could have been exploited more fully. But Sony attempted to make the decision for the system owners.

They did have the guy who was the "linux developer" but they aren't a charity. Open source is a good thing, but buisnesses usually don't bother with activities that aren't profitable for them, as that is the point of buisness. I don't think many people would have bought the PS3 for that purpose, over the blu ray player/games aspect, so it probably wasn't seen as cost effective, or worth pusuing, as it wasn't causing a mass of sales.

Where exactly did I say it was? There are uses for the device beyond "just another PC".

Such as? And something that a similarly priced system you could hook up to the TV couldn't accomplish with greater ease and greater funtionality? You could play around with the cell a little, but really, who uses the cell? There was a handful of emulators and stuff, but nothing that hasn't been done before on a pile of other devices. There was a blu ray drive, which was expensive at the time, but the device itself could play blu ray movies without linux, and applications running outside of the device have enabled it to play most media types, also without otherOS.

i agree about the OtherOS. i used it and thought it was pointless. very limited. if i wanted to run a linux OS connected to by tv i would build a £200 linux machine and hook it to my tv. far more powerful, efficiant and feature rich then a ps3 used for a linux OS

But almost all games companies are now doing this.

My response? So what?

Steam allows you to play offline with most games if you have the login details saved on the PC.

Some games. Not all games.

The PS3 allows you to play most games without ever logging in (unless it has multiplayer). I've never come acrosss one that does require logging in (several ask you to log in, but you can just ignore it and continue).

Highlighted the pertinent portion.

I'm not saying that because the PSN or Steam are unavailable that people can't get into SOME of their games. Just not ALL of them.

They did have the guy who was the "linux developer" but they aren't a charity. Open source is a good thing, but buisnesses usually don't bother with activities that aren't profitable for them, as that is the point of buisness. I don't think many people would have bought the PS3 for that purpose, over the blu ray player/games aspect, so it probably wasn't seen as cost effective, or worth pusuing, as it wasn't causing a mass of sales.

Again, Sony wasn't necessary for continued development of OtherOS. And they decided to simply remove the choice from the people who actually owned the systems.

Oh god, not that stillbirth of a movie... "Hack the P L A N E T ! ! !"

RISC is good.
Spandex, privilege, not a right.
Hack the Gibson.
Mess with the best die like the rest.

There. Hit all the truly salient quotes. Can we get past it now?

heee ok.

1. Due to Playstation having linux capabilities the hacking community has left it alone since it's inception. It wasn't until late last year that a hong-kong company finally released a USB key that allowed you to potentially play Back-ups. The company was promptly shutdown.

2.Playstation Removes "OtherOs" via vague firmware update.

3. Geohotz, known has the guy who jailbroke/unlocked the Iphone allowing you to run homebrew and use any cell carrier instead of being stuck in an ATT contract, Sent an open letter to Sony stating that he had the master key and if they didn't put the OtherOs option back in he'd release it to the public.

4. Sony takes Geohotz to court.

5. Geohotz releases the master key to the general public.(not a crack but the key allowing you to open up the PS3. There's still some hoops involved to get to backup's/homebrew, but the PS3 has never interested me enough to investigate.)

6. Geohotz contacts the EFF and opens up an account for donations because Sony is seeking to get precedent making Console modifications illegal. Despite some bad youtube press the response is overwhelming Geohotz gets the defense money he needs.

7. With in a week of the trial starting Sony gets Geohotz website shutdown and gets the IP's of anyone who donated to him or watched his videos. Additionally they get the all of his personal equipment, computers, etc.

8. Geohotz goes on springbreak, the thirdparty holding his gear lets Sony know that they need Sata-controllers to read the hard drives he turned in. Sony announces to the press. That Geohotz fled the country and is withholding evidence.

9. Anonymous steps in and starts Attacking Sony's network effectively taking down PSN. unbanning many banned consoles and banning corporate consoles

10. There's some argument back and forth mainly dealing with Sony trying to get the trial moved to California from New Jersey. Sony and Geohotz settle. The details are sealed. Anonymous stops their attacks amid this. PSN comes back.

11. Sony PSN goes down. Sony says someone is attacking them. Anonymous refuses credit.

12. Geohotz donates all funds leftover to EFF.

13. Sony announces they actually shutdown PSN to investigate better security measures before coming back up.

Last edited:
DeathPrincess, its not worth arguing with diehards that love to rail against big bother, or sony in this case.

I am not one for some of the bad PR moves sony has had but lets be real, neither side is an angel. People "hacking" the PS3 are not doing so because they want to run linux on it. They are doing it for the fame of hacking it and hopefully being the person who gets copied games running.

Lets also be truthful guys, otherOS was useless on PS3. I am glad some of you found enjoyment on it and sure it sucks but just get over it. If you really want to play around with linux just buy a $150 box to run it on. I guess its "full potential" had yet to be discovered but it had already been out for years. All the OtherOS communities were very sparse from what I saw. It was not a core feature, simple as that.

Please tell me which singleplayer game off of steam, cannot be played in offline mode?

I've had steam for what 10 years now and can't think of any problems I've had in offline except for maybe 1 or 2 when HL2 first came out.

I've had steam for what 10 years now and can't think of any problems I've had in offline except for maybe 1 or 2 when HL2 first came out.

Exactly, same here.

I hate some of the shit Sony has pulled but I equally hate when people say incorrect shit to try and prove a point.

Back