Playstation - "We're not getting back online until we feel safe"

lol I am sure the US Military has a service contract already in place with Sony to repair the units as needed so ur argument is pointless

Somehow, I doubt that. Christ, what is it with the kiddies using "ur" instead of "your"?
Say it out loud sometime, it makes you sound mentally handicapped.

Tell that to the USAF. They had, what, 200 of them running in parallel? Obviously THEY saw, and took advantage of its "full potential".

Edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/usaf-supercomputer-ps3-playstation-cell,11727.html
1760 of them, my mistake.
The interesting thing about this argument is any large-scale operation that might be using them in such a way did not and does not need to upgrade the firmware. That is, legit usage of OtherOS is effectively unencumbered by Sony's decision to strip it from current firmwares (which are only necessary for online gaming, PSN access, and apparently some blu-ray movie watching--none of which organizations like the USAF condone).

Why should they have to? Sony sold the console as a bluray player (and made a huge deal about it), among other things... Sony should honor that. I swear, some of the Sony fanboys have stockholm syndrome. Sony sold the PS3 as an all-in-one entertainment device... but according to some, we should just be happy that we were even lucky enough to play a game on it.

$600.00, at the time, was unheard of for a game console... but a LOT of people jumped on it, over the 360 and Wii, for the bluray playback, free PSN and the Other OS feature. So why should they now be forced to pick between features? Sony messed up and should of taken it's lumps like a proverbial man... but instead, they once again pass it on to their paying customers.

Sony has a history of treating it's customers like crap... so anyone thats still buying their products deserves to get ripped off IMHO. Nothing they do surprises me anymore.

I swear the other os nutsac clingers in here just don't get it......Sony was more than happy to leave other OS in there until SOME DUMBASS decided to start trying to poke around for the purposes of hacking the system in order to run pirated games.

The Homebrew argument is BS as it was never really developed when you HAD the ability to run other OS......

now tell me what exactly is the point of running linux on a machine that is easily outclassed by a netbook?.....

I guess morons will be morons.......

Somehow, I doubt that. Christ, what is it with the kiddies using "ur" instead of "your"?
Say it out loud sometime, it makes you sound mentally handicapped.

lol is that the best you can do? really? might want to find somethin' useful to talk 'bout

And jus' 'cause u doubt it does not mean jack didly squat........

lol is that the best you can do? really? might want to find somethin' useful to talk 'bout

And jus' 'cause u doubt it does not mean jack didly squat........

Considering the USAF contracted "Fixstars" to aquire and deploy the devices, I don't think they have the service contract for repair. It almost looks like once they fail, they just drop the hardware, as I see no mention of how they are being replaced. This tangent has gone on long enough, back to the original topic, if you please.

Considering the USAF contracted "Fixstars" to aquire and deploy the devices, I don't think they have the service contract for repair. It almost looks like once they fail, they just drop the hardware, as I see no mention of how they are being replaced. This tangent has gone on long enough, back to the original topic, if you please.

that's right you don't think.........but hey, that's pretty obvious......whom ever the USAF contracted to do the PS3 install will take care of units that fail......

I swear the other os nutsac clingers in here just don't get it......Sony was more than happy to leave other OS in there until SOME DUMBASS decided to start trying to poke around for the purposes of hacking the system in order to run pirated games.

that's Sony's problem... not mine, yours or anyone elses. Sony already killed future OtherOS exploits by not including it on the slim consoles. Their decision to remove it from the fat systems was unnecessary. It pissed off a lot of people and in the long run, did NOTHING to stop any sort of piracy or homebrew development on either console revision. So with that said... why do people continue to cling on to this 'they had to do it' BS? They didn't have to do it. They thought that it could be an easy fix, at the customers expense, and didn't think twice about it.

The Homebrew argument is BS as it was never really developed when you HAD the ability to run other OS......

now tell me what exactly is the point of running linux on a machine that is easily outclassed by a netbook?.....

That's completely irrelevant. If someone wants to use OtherOS (something that they paid for) the way that it was intended and advertised, that's their prerogative... I couldn't care less HOW they're using it.

I guess morons will be morons.......
you're not kidding

Long thread short.. Gamers are not to be fucked with. Especially ones with anonymous ties.

that's Sony's problem... not mine, yours or anyone elses. Sony already killed future OtherOS exploits by not including it on the slim consoles. Their decision to remove it from the fat systems was unnecessary. It pissed off a lot of people and in the long run, did NOTHING to stop any sort of piracy or homebrew development on either console revision. So with that said... why do people continue to cling on to this 'they had to do it' BS? They didn't have to do it. They thought that it could be an easy fix, at the customers expense, and didn't think twice about it.

That's completely irrelevant. If someone wants to use OtherOS (something that they paid for) the way that it was intended and advertised, that's their prerogative... I couldn't care less HOW they're using it.

you're not kidding

Actually it is YOUR problem because

a. you keep complaining about something that was removed for reasons previously explained....11ty billion times....since you lack the intelligence to properly lay blame at the hacker's feet........this is to be expected........

b. people paid for their PS3 to do a lot of things and for most people it is to play games and if that means Sony changes the firmware to prevent hacking then good for them as hacking affects all of the other users as it compromises the playing environment when you are in the online community

c. as for Sony removing the other os feature from the fat model see comment a above..

d. since Sony has shareholders that hold them accountable for doing all that they can to protect their investment, I am sure that they could care less about some other os nutsac clinging tools on a forum complaining about it.

btw if you think for one minute that the hackers will win, just take a look at that gpwnt fellow....got Sony's dick shoved so far up his ass he could taste it......

Tell that to the USAF. They had, what, 200 of them running in parallel? Obviously THEY saw, and took advantage of its "full potential".

Edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/usaf-supercomputer-ps3-playstation-cell,11727.html
1760 of them, my mistake.

Huh? It was deployed long ago and is happily running. Most of those units will probably outlive their useful life. Just a guess but I assume the company they contracted with will probably have no problem keeping those machines ticking for long enough.

No, they're just too fast!

hackers.jpg

ah young angelina jolie...

yumy

Funny you say that cuz I remember not long ago Live was down for a few days during the Holiday season for everyone...yeah gotta hate those stupid engineers. lol

That was an overload problem; an unexpected influx of new users clogged up the system - It was not a security problem. Apples and oranges. Security issues trump the fuck out of temporary lack of capacity. Would you rather wait in a long line at the grocery store or in a short line where the card reader was storing your credit card information in plain text?

So does anyone beside the USAF actually use OtherOS for anything significant (who probably have a contract with Sony anyway)?

About 30s of googling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

Academic Research
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/10/ps3_supercomputer
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/build-an-8-ps3-supercomputer/220

F@H using 670,000 PS3s
http://kotaku.com/#!317151/ps3-pushes-foldinghome-to-world-record

Used to build the world's fastest supercomputer
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/4267979

And how the removal of OtherOS destroyed this(doesn't seem to have bothered one researcher though)
http://hothardware.com/Articles/Sony-Ban-Nukes-PS3-Supercomputers-Damages-Future-Game-Development/

I'm loving the "it only fucked a few people so it's ok" argument.

About 30s of googling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

Academic Research
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/10/ps3_supercomputer
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/build-an-8-ps3-supercomputer/220

F@H using 670,000 PS3s
http://kotaku.com/#!317151/ps3-pushes-foldinghome-to-world-record

Used to build the world's fastest supercomputer
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/4267979

And how the removal of OtherOS destroyed this(doesn't seem to have bothered one researcher though)
http://hothardware.com/Articles/Sony-Ban-Nukes-PS3-Supercomputers-Damages-Future-Game-Development/

I'm loving the "it only fucked a few people so it's ok" argument.

I'l loving the "it fucked a lot of people over so it's NOT ok" argument. Now I am taking a large leap of faith here by assuming that you are a reasonably intelligent person and know that all of those people who dedicate their PS3 to a specific task like that are not upgrading their firmware from the version they used to deploy their clusers or machines. Why is this you ask? Simple, they are not doing anything that REQUIRES them to update their firmware.....so in the end Sony's decision only affects a very tiny minority of people and those people should be laying the blame at the HACKER's feet and not at Sony's doorstep....

You can still fold on the PS3 anyway. I was just folding last night. It didn't have any issue downloading the unit.

I'l loving the "it fucked a lot of people over so it's NOT ok" argument. Now I am taking a large leap of faith here by assuming that you are a reasonably intelligent person and know that all of those people who dedicate their PS3 to a specific task like that are not upgrading their firmware from the version they used to deploy their clusers or machines. Why is this you ask? Simple, they are not doing anything that REQUIRES them to update their firmware.....so in the end Sony's decision only affects a very tiny minority of people and those people should be laying the blame at the HACKER's feet and not at Sony's doorstep....

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would accept the removal of a shipping feature. A feature that is not some kind of hack or side affect of the system, but a true check box feature of a component that people purchased, as ok. You don't have to do the update isn't an acceptable answer. No one should lose one functionality, just to continue to use another. Not when they are both, or three, or four functionality that were again those that were the basis of functionality advertised and sold with. I wouldn't expect to lose my V6 engine as part of warranted oil change, and telling me who goes to the dealer for an oil changes isn't an acceptable answer. It doesn't matter how many people used the feature. If I bought it with said feature then I should have the expectation of being able to use that feature for the lifespan of the device. Only in cases where the use of the feature relies on equipment and services of others should I expect issues (like shutting down online services where the company has to spend money to maintain).

That said I am not in agreement of either Anon or what that "hacker" did. There are legal systems out there to protect our rights as consumers. I would rather see us use those options first before moving to "civil disobedience". I feel for these hackers because to them its probably some kind of game, then one day some cop busts in their door and its off to pound me in the ass prison (maybe a gentle pounding, but pounding none the less).

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would accept the removal of a shipping feature. A feature that is not some kind of hack or side affect of the system, but a true check box feature of a component that people purchased, as ok. You don't have to do the update isn't an acceptable answer. No one should lose one functionality, just to continue to use another. Not when they are both, or three, or four functionality that were again those that were the basis of functionality advertised and sold with. I wouldn't expect to lose my V6 engine as part of warranted oil change, and telling me who goes to the dealer for an oil changes isn't an acceptable answer. It doesn't matter how many people used the feature. If I bought it with said feature then I should have the expectation of being able to use that feature for the lifespan of the device. Only in cases where the use of the feature relies on equipment and services of others should I expect issues (like shutting down online services where the company has to spend money to maintain).

That said I am not in agreement of either Anon or what that "hacker" did. There are legal systems out there to protect our rights as consumers. I would rather see us use those options first before moving to "civil disobedience". I feel for these hackers because to them its probably some kind of game, then one day some cop busts in their door and its off to pound me in the ass prison (maybe a gentle pounding, but pounding none the less).

You hit the nail on the head.

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would accept the removal of a shipping feature. A feature that is not some kind of hack or side affect of the system, but a true check box feature of a component that people purchased, as ok.

At launch, Other OS couldn't be used to unlock the console because no one knew how. Now it can, now they do. Sony removed it. /end of story.

As for your other sentiment - no one bought a Ps3 with the expressed consent to use it as a Linux box and nothing else. You can get computers from pawn shops and goodwill for less than $100 and run *nix on them just fine so why would anyone spend $300+ on a video game console to do it? That makes no sense whatsoever.

At launch, Other OS couldn't be used to unlock the console because no one knew how. Now it can, now they do. Sony removed it. /end of story.

As for your other sentiment - no one bought a Ps3 with the expressed consent to use it as a Linux box and nothing else. You can get computers from pawn shops and goodwill for less than $100 and run *nix on them just fine so why would anyone spend $300+ on a video game console to do it? That makes no sense whatsoever.

And to add to that, the people who use it for daily use would never need or even want to be on PSN much less update the firmware addressing stuff that is irrelevant to them.

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would think Sony would remove OtherOS just to piss people off. If you produce a product, and release that product and then people find a way around your security what are you going to do? Yes let's sit here and let it go and provide free entertainment to millions because we refuse to get rid of a feature that 19 people use and also want to connect to PSN.

I mean goddamn there are countless other things more important like for instance rubbing peanut butter on your chest and wrestling bears and shit.

At launch, Other OS couldn't be used to unlock the console. Now it can. They removed it.

yes it could... The holes that Sony left in were there from the beginning. It's removal has done NOTHING to stop custom firmware, homebrew and other ps3 projects from getting developed and released, so I ask what exactly has it acomplished other than pissing off their users that paid the most for their systems ($500-$600)?

They removed it with FW version 3.21... here we are @ 3.6 and people are still hacking their consoles (both slim and fat). There is absolutly no reason that Sony should of removed that other than going for a quick fix (which didn't fix anything). Most companies would of fixed the security holes in a firmware revision and everyone would of been happy. Sony, on the other hand, knows that it's customers will keep lining up at the door, regardless of how many times they screw 'em.

And you know this how? Either way, because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't make Sony's decision right. Would you stand for that kind of BS if your car dealer removed the AC in your car under a recall? Even though it could hurt the car or somehow be used to gain access to the ECU that they don't want you to mess with? Or would you expect it to get fixed? I mean, nobody buys a car for the sole intent of using it to cool down in the summer, right? :rolleyes: Give me a break.

Last edited:
And to add to that, the people who use it for daily use would never need or even want to be on PSN much less update the firmware addressing stuff that is irrelevant to them.

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would think Sony would remove OtherOS just to piss people off. If you produce a product, and release that product and then people find a way around your security what are you going to do?

I don't know, how about fixing the security holes? I'm glad that Microsoft doesn't think the same way that some of you guys do. Can you imagine what Windows would be like if they just removed features of the OS everytime they found a security vulnerability?

yes it could... The holes that Sony left in were there from the beginning.

I didn't say they weren't; I said people didn't know how to exploit them at launch. No one (other than developers) had any experience with the console at launch. Catch my drift?

It's removal has done NOTHING to stop custom firmware, homebrew and other ps3 projects from getting developed and released

I would assume the removal has made it harder on those people also. Victory = Sony.

Most companies would of fixed the security holes in a firmware revision and everyone would of been happy.

And you know this is possible...how?
Let's put it another way.
Other OS users is a paltry %. For the sake of argument, let's say 5%.
So you're saying that Sony should spend time, effort, and man hours to figure out what exactly to patch just to please the 5% that actually use the feature? Doubtful.

Quick fix - remove it altogether. Done. Very little time/effort exerted.

Sony, on the other hand, knows that it's customers will keep lining up at the door, regardless of how many times they screw 'em.

So don't update the console. Keep Other OS. As next-Jin said, if your expressed desire in buying a Ps3 is to run *nix, you won't need any of it's other features, including PSN. Therefore, locking you out of the PSN should not affect you at all.

And you know this how? Either way, because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't make Sony's decision right.

So (using your car analogy), does it make any more sense to say "you know, I just need a way to get from one place to another, I don't necessarily have any requirements....so rather than buy a used Fiat, I'm going to splurge and buy a GTR."

Makes no sense.
No one buys a videogame console to run Linux.

Would you stand for that kind of BS if your car dealer removed the AC in your car under a recall? Even though it could hurt the car or somehow be used to gain access to the ECU that they don't want you to mess with? Or would you expect it to get fixed? I mean, nobody buys a car for the sole intent of using it to cool down their garage right? :rolleyes: Give me a break.

FTFY with a better analogy. ;)

I would assume the removal has made it harder on those people also. Victory = Sony.

and your assumptions would be wrong. Go check out one of the PS3 homebrew message boards sometime. It did NOTHING to stop nor slow them down

And you know this is possible...how?
Let's put it another way.
Other OS users is a paltry %. For the sake of argument, let's say 5%.
So you're saying that Sony should spend time, effort, and man hours to figure out what exactly to patch just to please the 5% that actually use the feature? Doubtful.

Quick fix - remove it altogether. Done. Very little time/effort exerted.

see above... it didn't fix anything.

So don't update the console. Keep Other OS. As next-Jin said, if your expressed desire in buying a Ps3 is to run *nix, you won't need any of it's other features, including PSN. Therefore, locking you out of the PSN should not affect you at all.

Until you want to watch a bluray movie on it (one of the other major selling points of the console) among other things. You can rationalise it how ever you want, but the fact remains that a lot of people DID buy one (instead of their competitors product, I might add) with the intention of playing games on it, watching bluray movies and running linux on it... because Sony marketed it that way.

So (using your car analogy), does it make any more sense to say "you know, I just need a way to get from one place to another, I don't necessarily have any requirements....so rather than buy a used Fiat, I'm going to splurge and buy a GTR."

Makes no sense.
No one buys a videogame console to run Linux.

If someone wants to buy a GTR to get from point A to point B, then more power to them. Being a car enthusiest myself, I'd give them a pat on the back and ask if I could take it for a ride ;)

If I had an infinite amount money to blow, I'd buy an AWD lambo and throw snowtires and a plow on the front for the winter just because I could. So yes, there are people out there that purchased a PS3 because it can run linux. Not seeing 'the point' is completely irrelevant

Last edited:
an You can rationalise it how ever you want, but the fact remains that a lot of people DID buy one (instead of their competitors product, I might add) with the intention of playing games on it, watching bluray movies and running linux on it... because Sony marketed it that way.

I've only owned a slim, so I don't give a rats ass either way. But I'd like to know how you figured "a lot" of people intended to do all 3. Because outside of this forum, I don't know a single person who ever ran Nix on their ps3. IRL I don't know a single PS3 owner who even knew the ps3 could ever even run nix.

I've only owned a slim, so I don't give a rats ass either way. But I'd like to know how you figured "a lot" of people intended to do all 3. Because outside of this forum, I don't know a single person who ever ran Nix on their ps3. IRL I don't know a single PS3 owner who even knew the ps3 could ever even run nix.

lol well that's good since you alone obviously represent a good statistical sample size of the PS3 users community :rolleyes:

my ability to play online without people whom are too lazy to actually work and buy the game > some person wanting to run other os.......so they can run pirated games.....

and I for the life of me cannot figure our why you hacker tools just don't get it.........

my ability to play online without people whom are too lazy to actually work and buy the game > some person wanting to run other os.......so they can run pirated games.....

and I for the life of me cannot figure our why you hacker tools just don't get it.........

You're arguing a point that nobody is making. If you run a hacked console, then you should be banned from PSN... no question about it.

Guess you didn't read anything in the post, nothing at all. I am not a hacker. Hell wasn't even an active user of otherOS. I don't support Anon. I don't think what they did is right. I would rather see them taken to court for this and see them pay out in class action lawsuit.

My point is that Sony is in the wrong when it comes to OtherOS. Whether or not you want to play games on PSN. Reasonable people that aren't blinded by some nerd rage of a what should be a temporary (even if a bit long term) outage should be able to recognize what wrong Sony did in this case regardless of what Anon did. That your desire to play online doesn't outweigh the removal of a feature that people bought and paid for. Remember PSN is advertised as a Free XBL like addon, while OtherOS was a feature to the system at time of purchase. Regardless the two aren't that closely related. OtherOS didn't have to be removed so that you could play on PSN.

Remember PSN is advertised as a Free XBL like addon, while OtherOS was a feature to the system at time of purchase.

Granted I didn't buy one at launch but I don't remember Other OS being touted as a feature (or at least not a high ranking one). I would tend to believe the first few sales points on the box were regarding the PSN being free, Bluray capabilities, and something about [insert console spec and drooling context here]. I would say Other OS is probably at the bottom of that list (if it's listed at all).

OtherOS didn't have to be removed so that you could play on PSN.

How are you going to use one without the other? That's not a jab, that's a serious question.
I would assume that loading Other OS cuts the system out of the standard XMB interface, so nothing would be available under a loaded/booted Other OS that normally is available (including PSN access).

I still don't see the argument (or the accompanying lawsuit that Other OS defenders are trying to bring forth). Other OS isn't a forced removal; you can deny the update. It's not like Sony accessed every Ps3 unit overnight while no one was watching, and removed Other OS, without any user consent. It boils down to what do you want.....you're given the choice. PSN or Other OS. I didn't use Other OS, I had no plans on using Other OS, but I do use the PSN. Very easy choice for me. I still have a 2nd Ps3 console that is semi-working that hasn't been updated in probably 2 years now that I could boot and do Other OS if I wanted to....but I don't want to. I have no need for it.

Guess you didn't read anything in the post, nothing at all. I am not a hacker. Hell wasn't even an active user of otherOS. I don't support Anon. I don't think what they did is right. I would rather see them taken to court for this and see them pay out in class action lawsuit.

My point is that Sony is in the wrong when it comes to OtherOS. Whether or not you want to play games on PSN. Reasonable people that aren't blinded by some nerd rage of a what should be a temporary (even if a bit long term) outage should be able to recognize what wrong Sony did in this case regardless of what Anon did. That your desire to play online doesn't outweigh the removal of a feature that people bought and paid for. Remember PSN is advertised as a Free XBL like addon, while OtherOS was a feature to the system at time of purchase. Regardless the two aren't that closely related. OtherOS didn't have to be removed so that you could play on PSN.

YOUR POINT IS INVALID what part can't you understand?

EULA specificly states Sony can do pretty much anything they want with their software...you don't own the SOFTWARE, they do. Anyone who bought a PS3 and agreed to the EULA has no foot to stand on legally

Other OS had to be removed once the hackers did what they did........sorry that you cannot understand that but then again people who are not smart enough to understand that they don't own the software........

What "sample" are you pulling from? How about a poll?

I'm not pulling from any sample or poll, but I'm also not making claims based on people I may or may not know and whether or not they were aware of the Other OS option in the past. My point is your statement is irrelevant.

YOUR POINT IS INVALID what part can't you understand?

EULA specificly states Sony can do pretty much anything they want with their software...you don't own the SOFTWARE, they do. Anyone who bought a PS3 and agreed to the EULA has no foot to stand on legally
Consumer laws trumps EULAs in many parts of the world.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/artic...o_man_for_otheros_removal_consumer_board_says

Basically, EULAs don't mean shit up here. It's not a contract, I didn't sign it. It's not a legal license, because it's one-sided.

You should reconsider whether or not you're really the smartest guy in the room.

It's not a contract, I didn't sign it. It's not a legal license, because it's one-sided.

You agree to the terms of it when you agree to the EULA and use the console rather than declining the EULA and returning it to your point of purchase.
Agreeing to a digital EULA is essentially the equivalent of signing a physical contract.

Back