Playstation VR Thread.

so far so good with mine. Have the VR Worlds, Thumper, Stardust VR and waiting for Rigs and Driveclub VR to download now. Thumper is an epic blast in VR mode. Had the wife, who usually just ignores my gaming habits, try the Ocean Descent portion and she came away just from that saying it was worth the money. Daughter tried it as well and did a couple of the Playroom VR games(which aren't talked about much but are very good!) and really had a blast using it as well. Graphic fidelity obviously is subpar compared to what i saw on the occulus and vive, but the ease of setup/calibration and comfort of the PS VR headset was great. No brainer to set this thing up and get going once you unpack it all. Can't wait to try out some of the bigger name games once they finish. Happy so far. We will see how long the honeymoon lasts, but this is exactly what the VR industry needs in order to survive.

Will they have any demos at any stores like best buy? I want to try one.. i have a rift already, but wouldnt mind checking out the psvr since i got a ps4...

I did one at bestbuy a couple months ago and I think gamestop is/was doing them as well

Grabbed a setup at Gamestop. To tired right now to even unpack it (loser). I'll give my thoughts over the weekend.

Just finished setup. While easy enough I'm finding the distance to the couch where I'm sitting to be a problem. I havent really found the sweet spot yet. Headset is very comfortable though I can see how after extended gameplay it would be hot.
Played the demo disk that came with the helmet...much fun...here again though I'm finding my controller 'drifts' out of the center.
Downloading the Resident Evil demo which looks intense.
So far no regrets.

EDIT: Just realized the couch is to far from the unit according to the Sony specs. Hmm...I might have to sit on the floor?

Just finished setup. While easy enough I'm finding the distance to the couch where I'm sitting to be a problem. I havent really found the sweet spot yet. Headset is very comfortable though I can see how after extended gameplay it would be hot.
Played the demo disk that came with the helmet...much fun...here again though I'm finding my controller 'drifts' out of the center.
Downloading the Resident Evil demo which looks intense.
So far no regrets.

EDIT: Just realized the couch is to far from the unit according to the Sony specs. Hmm...I might have to sit on the floor?
What are the distance requirements? I am on the fence for Playstation VR..

Well if I sit on the floor in front of the couch I can get into the sweet spot of the camera......going to investigate running extension cable through the wall (hole is already there) into the bedroom and use the helmet there.

Finally got my camera straightened out so I'm in a 'sweet' spot. The camera is the downfall of the system I feel. Also I haven't found my game yet. Just downloaded the Robinson game, slowwwww beginning but I will see.

My issues with PSVR so far:
-Setup is a bit time consuming, from plugging in everything to the calibration in the options. And the annoying part is you probably won't get it right the first time and will have to redo them.
-Standup games typically require me to reposition the camera a few times to find the sweet spot
-You definitely need a good amount of area for most games, Job Simulator probably demands the most so far
-Grainy looking
-Fogs up very easily
-Lots of light leak during the day, doesn't "seal" around your face (or at least mine). Best played at night.
-The move controllers aren't super accurate, but they get the job done. But I've seen the same issues from videos on the Vive, they seem only slightly more accurate.

I am looking forward to playing FFXV on it on the couch while the SO watches TV. A big reason I bought it, playstation streaming to my laptop was ok, but a bit laggy for my taste and the laptop screen is too small - psvr solves this issue.

For me....

Setup was a breeze.
Haven't played stand up games so no problem.
I personally don't find the games grainy at all.
No fog for me.
Light leaking is a small problem.
I'm using the ps4 controller.

I can see GrandTurismo selling PSVR like hotcakes if it's supported. I would be one of those people.

A little bit of new info about the next playstaion VR headset

https://www.engadget.com/sony-reveals-playstation-vr-2-sense-controllers-023113499.html

* display resolution of 2000 x 2040 pixel per eye
* 110-degree field of view, is capable of 90 to 120Hz frame rates and supports 4K HDR.
* inside-out tracking
* Sony has also introduced a new sensory feature for the device called "headset feedback" that can make games and experiences even more immersive. Headset feedback uses a built-in motor with vibrations to simulate in-game events — it can, for instance, mimic the feel of a character's elevated pulse rate while they're hiding from a threat or the feel of objects passing close to a character's head.
* 3D audio and eye tracking

edit: this link mentions foveated rendering
https://www.androidcentral.com/ps5-vr-officially-called-playstation-vr2
Sony also shared some technical specs for the PlayStation VR2:

4K HDR, 110-degree FOV
2000×2040 per eye
Foveated rendering
Headset-based inside-out tracking
USB-C connection
OLED display
3D audio
90hz/120hz refresh rate support

Last edited:
Looking mighty sweet. I wonder if it will have PCVR support, either official or via hacks.

possible controllers:

PlayStation-VR-2.jpg

https://press-start.com.au/news/pla...ull-playstation-vr2-specs-have-been-revealed/

I'm 95% committed to snagging this. No HDMI breakout box means no more HDCP 2.2 errors. I also love that it connects via only a single USB-C cable. That way I can hook everything up in a few minutes instead the ordeal needed for the first PSVR.

I'm hoping for backward compatibility and follow ups to Rush of Blood and London Heist/Blood & Truth. Ports of Alyx and RE4 would be appreciated, too.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Looking mighty sweet. I wonder if it will have PCVR support, either official or via hacks.
Given the original PSVR never worked with PC I find it unlikely. This head set sounds like it will be expensive. The screens being OLED is huge.
I'm hoping for backward compatibility and follow ups to Rush of Blood and London Heist/Blood & Truth. Ports of Alyx and RE4 would be appreciated, too.
Backwards compatibility for old PSVR is guaranteed. Keep dreaming if you think Valve is going to release Alyx on PSVR. They made it to sell the index not someone else's headset. RE4 is a possiblity.

People made their own hax to get old PSVR working on PC. Old PSVR is super low res and just kinda inferior to every PC headset though, so it would be stupid to buy one just for PC.

If new PSVR is as good as the specs lead on I think we'll see it hacked. There is no way Sony will do it themselves unless they're selling this thing for a massive profit.

Given the original PSVR never worked with PC I find it unlikely. This head set sounds like it will be expensive. The screens being OLED is huge.

Backwards compatibility for old PSVR is guaranteed. Keep dreaming if you think Valve is going to release Alyx on PSVR. They made it to sell the index not someone else's headset. RE4 is a possiblity.

At this point Alyx isn't selling much of anything on the side of hardware or software. The idea of porting it to a system where people might actually play it isn't that wild.

like this
At this point Alyx isn't selling much of anything on the side of hardware or software. The idea of porting it to a system where people might actually play it isn't that wild.

Exactly - releasing it on PS would make a ton of sense and probably sell a few million copies at $60 a pop without having any material effect on PCVR hardware or software sales. I'm sure it'd dwarf the costs to port given how close the latest gen consoles are to PC's.

like this
Sony makes most of the money selling games. I think that PSVR2 will be well above most PC headsets and yet priced lower. I definitely don't think it's going to be as cheap as current PSVR. My prediction is about the same as Reverb G2, roughly 2.2x the price of PSVR1 (in Sweden).
It has to be to sell well or else it will be a failure. if it's too expensive, it's not going to sell well enough to make the games profitable.

I myself prefer to play games like Elite Dangerous in VR. Had a ton of fun playing it. I don't think I'll switch to PSVR for that.

Largely what I would've expected — it's a modern VR headset (inside-out tracking and all) with a PS5 aesthetic. It does sound like Sony is paying close attention to comfort and other issues (there's an IPD control, for instance). It might just be a question of whether or not people are still happy with wired headsets in the modern era, and whether PS5 VR has enough appealing games and apps.

They should've done a Wii U style wireless technology imo. The lack of wire on the quest makes things so much better.

I'm fine with a single wire for the headset if it improves fidelity or keeps costs down. I just don't want to deal with a bunch of wires and a setup that you have to prep and/or tear down every time you want to use it.

Wired kinda sucks, but I like that it's USB c because that means there's a very high chance of community drivers to use it on PC.

Reactions: File
like this
After having 4 VR headsets, the last two being a Reverb G2 and a Quest 2, I can no longer use a wired headset unless I'm sim racing, which is less than 10% of my usage. I sold the G2 because I only use my Quest 2. This is with a 3090, so the G2 looked amazing but the wire just annoyed me to no end. Before going wireless I didn't know what I was missing. Now that I've experienced it, I just can't go back. Maybe they're going to offer a "Sony" router that will plug into the PS5 and allow for wireless play. Charge $100 for it, make a healthy margin off it, and everyone is happy.

I dunno ... the last VR set gave me violent motion sickness ... and I don't get motion sickness.

Specs sound great and I like the OLED. Love my G2 but miss my Odyssey+ OLED in many ways. But not God-rays :LOL:
As a PC master race member I do envy this PSVR in that game developers know the exact hardware to be used, can play test exclusively on a single defined hardware and tweak for ultimate performance without a second guess.
Also it would have been appropriate to start a new thread for PS5 VR as pity-backing on 6yr old thread is confusing and unrelated. I vote a MOD spits this so we can move ahead logically.

I really, really hope we get a Rush of Blood 2. That game alone sold me on the first PSVR. I need more.

2000x2040 resolution per eye. Not bad. The Quest 2 is 1832x1920, for comparison. The customized play area support is also nice.

Not yet. Not even a hint of a release window.
They may have slightly underestimated the amount of CPU/GPU resource needed to perform well at that resolution per eye. I bet they are still working on techniques/methods of further minimizing that resource impact need... or they are waiting for their PS6 announcement to hit first.

They may have slightly underestimated the amount of CPU/GPU resource needed to perform well at that resolution per eye. I bet they are still working on techniques/methods of further minimizing that resource impact need... or they are waiting for their PS6 announcement to hit first.
It's got foveated rendering. It's fine.

Quest 2 manages to drive it's displays with a cellphone SoC.

yep, foveated rendering has me excited for this

and the processing power of the ps5 is vastly superior to the XR2

Back