Planetside 2

Holy crap...How can anyone be saying anything bad about this game? I just got to spend a couple of hours in the beta and...damn...this game kinda represents the whole package in my honest opinion. It may just be that I'm new to this genre (MMOFPS), but it seems like it's the tits.

Yeah this is pretty much where I am on PS2. It's just goddamn amazing and fun to play, solo, zerging with the masses or with an organized group.

Honestly I'm amazed they are not charging money for this. But F2P will swell the population and give everyone more targets.

Also lol @ anyone complaining about 420k cert cost items. It's a placeholder!

Played 30 minutes of this today. BF2142 felt more solid for my taste. But this game looks like fun and potential timewaster for me in future. I was not sure what I was doing , just captured something on my own killing defenders on the way. Suddenly after I captured it alone about 20 frendlies came there as a squad. Too late guys :)

Also, looks like many people have no glue what to do in that game. Just runing around in circles. Like I did for the first 10 minutes :)

Last edited:
Yeah like anything else you gotta put time into learning the game. There are so many things you can do and ways to play that you sort of have to learn them as you go.

The biggest newbie tips I can give is:
1) Hit "F". This is the cloak for infiltrators and the shield for heavies. Hold down space to use the jump pack as a light assault. Engineers and Medics get special guns to do their healing (#3).
2) If you cant find a fight, hit Insert to join a squad then Insert again to hotdrop on them, or /suicide and spawn closer to them, or grab a plane/tank and head in their direction.
3) If all else fails and you are totally lost, act as a gunner for someone else's tank or bomber. Point and shoot, maybe deal with some gravity dropoff, and let the driver figure out where to go.

I'm getting more and more into this, it's Alpha Squad worth getting? Even if it's just to support the game. Any idea if it will be available when the game releases?

I'm getting more and more into this, it's Alpha Squad worth getting? Even if it's just to support the game. Any idea if it will be available when the game releases?

Nope its basically a preorder for the game as it has exclusive benefits like extra XP gain for 6 months and exclusive armor skins.

There is a monthly sub that you maybe better off investing in. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it nets you more in 3 months compared to the $40 you spend on Alpha Squad.

So has a [H] squad been started or what?!? :D

Sounds like a plan.

I am finally downloading the Beta. From the videos, the gameplay and wide open maps remind me of BF2/2142- what BF3 should have been. The go anyway, battles everywhere, kind of action.

I wont hold my breath until I try it however.

Yeah like anything else you gotta put time into learning the game. There are so many things you can do and ways to play that you sort of have to learn them as you go.

The biggest newbie tips I can give is:
1) Hit "F". This is the cloak for infiltrators and the shield for heavies. Hold down space to use the jump pack as a light assault. Engineers and Medics get special guns to do their healing (#3).
2) If you cant find a fight, hit Insert to join a squad then Insert again to hotdrop on them, or /suicide and spawn closer to them, or grab a plane/tank and head in their direction.
3) If all else fails and you are totally lost, act as a gunner for someone else's tank or bomber. Point and shoot, maybe deal with some gravity dropoff, and let the driver figure out where to go.

Thaty is exactly what I was looking for as a new to the game becaus eI had no clue where to go and what to do first time I joined yesterday. Thank you VERY MUCH!

Sounds like a plan.

I am finally downloading the Beta. From the videos, the gameplay and wide open maps remind me of BF2/2142- what BF3 should have been. The go anyway, battles everywhere, kind of action.

I wont hold my breath until I try it however.

First 30 minutes I played and it doesn't feel like BF2142. It has the same futuristic settings and it is FPS with classes. But many thing looks so cartoonish and not serious in comparison with BF2142.

For example PS2 has similar spawn becone as BF2142 but the difference is that PS2 one looks like a small building :) Very strange.

Also amount of bullets soldier can absorb is ridiculous. In BF2142 you must be very careful running around. Not so in PS2.

That is sad for the former BF2142 player but still I think PS2 could be a fun game in it's own way.

Nope its basically a preorder for the game as it has exclusive benefits like extra XP gain for 6 months and exclusive armor skins.

There is a monthly sub that you maybe better off investing in. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it nets you more in 3 months compared to the $40 you spend on Alpha Squad.

That's the first time i've heard of the game also featuring a voluntarily monthly sub. Care to give a link to the info about this?

That's the first time i've heard of the game also featuring a voluntarily monthly sub. Care to give a link to the info about this?

You can find the info here. TBH I would probably pay for it if I was playing full time. Especially with it being likely the only game I would be playing given I don't have much time anymore to do so.

Don't know anyone interested in the beta, so here you go [H]

ZXH64F96M9DTGPZMFTCZ
HFE3KTPXAX6REKM2XZJ6
HRRTF2NFHNPMMED6XMMC
FJGTTKN7F6GTTAX3Z74X
ZT3KGPDEPMD3REE36PFJ

Beta is over pretty soon, like tomorrow. The game reopens for real on the 20th.

The new intro is pretty cool. It puts brand-new players directly into a squad and hot-drops them straight into the action. What could go wrong? ;)

Launch plans? I'll be going VS on an East server. Gonna blow those Alpha Squad points on a few key items:

1) Magrider high explosive main gun, saron anti-tank gunner turret, radar, stealth, infra-red scope and strafe speed upgrades. That thing is a goddamn murdermachine and you can be sure I'll be driving a ridiculous looking zebra-striped one on launch day.
2) Dual-Burster MAX. Air units are thick as flies right now and this is very useful in certain situations.
3) A mishmash of medic, engineer and heavy assault upgrades so I have something to do when the magrider is unavailable. Mostly engineer.

^^ oh lol

HRRTF2NFHNPMMED6XMMC
ZT3KGPDEPMD3REE36PFJ

Grabbed these for me and a buddy. You are the shit! Thanks <3

edit: where do you download the beta client? Their site is awful.

How do I gain keys to give to my friends? I don't see anything on the station account page.

I am extremely happy playing this but I literally know NO ONE in this game. If anyone needs and extra gun, let me know :)

Can is be so that one fraction conquest the whole map and 2 other will be cornered? Is there a possibility for an endgame?

Can is be so that one fraction conquest the whole map and 2 other will be cornered? Is there a possibility for an endgame?

One faction can get cornered, yes. But there are multiple continents so if you get just having a rough go of it on one, head to another and get organized. Endgame is killing people. That's like asking if BF3 MP has an endgame.

nope there is no end game and full map conquests usually only last for an hour or so til one or more of the major clans on that team move to a different continent or log off then the maps rebalance as the other two teams start taking capture points back. and if it ever gets really bad the admins have the ability to reset the continent if they ever needed to.

Game goes live Nov. 20th, they've been so busy bug squashing, it hardly feels like it's going to be ready in time.

Game goes live Nov. 20th, they've been so busy bug squashing, it hardly feels like it's going to be ready in time.

it won't be but as long as 90% of the core part of the game ready thats all thats needed.. its a F2P game, its expected to have issues and be fixed along the way. what they do AFTER release will say more about the game and where its headed down the road then what happens right now in my opinion.

Sorry, I didn't feel like reading through the whole thread for the answer. But for those of you interested in playing the game, do you feel like Alpha Squad purchase is worth it?

I cant wait for this fuckin game to release, havent played since mid Beta and looking to get back into this

R47C7J3GAEHJ9JDGPNN6
CTX93P62PJJD3CF2GZFM
DN7NZH7KC64KZ6M79XGT
9TZN2RXH73CFZNT6J7AK
H9AJZEDERNP93J4FAK6D

keys.

gogogogogo

Sorry, I didn't feel like reading through the whole thread for the answer. But for those of you interested in playing the game, do you feel like Alpha Squad purchase is worth it?

if you don't have a lot of time to grind your way through for stuff yes.. if you do have extra time on your hands then no.. most of the stuff can be unlocked pretty easily. personally i find it more satisfying working to unlock stuff then just paying for it. but being able to unlock stuff early doesn't just automatically make you a bad ass, just means you have another weapon to use, but you still have to play the game for cert points to upgrade your weapons to make them better.

Have they fixed performance any? They really need to step up their game with CPU utilization and GPU utilization

My AMD system is able to run Battlefield 3 on high settings with 50+ FPS but I got 25 FPS in PS2 when I played beta a month or two ago

Have they fixed performance any? They really need to step up their game with CPU utilization and GPU utilization

My AMD system is able to run Battlefield 3 on high settings with 50+ FPS but I got 25 FPS in PS2 when I played beta a month or two ago

It's gotten a lot better.

nope none of the changes have fixed the cpu limitation of the game so far.. i'm in the same boat as you with my phenom II x4 940 @ 3.6Ghz.. even with SLI 8800GT's i get 35FPS all low or completely maxed. i use to get 45-60fps on indar but the 11/9 patch broke that so now i get 35fps on there as well.

It's CPU limited but unable to use the full resources of the CPU, which makes it look like its GPU limited sometimes, more often than not its CPU limited but is just wasting resources.

The CPU utilization is better since early beta, not enough I would say to make this "playable" on any stock CPU you can buy today, you really need to be cranking the overclock to get the frame rate up to a constant 60fps in large battles.

If you're one of the people happy with frame rates of around 20-30fps then you're probably alright with a mid to high end CPU. I'm personally getting averages in the 45-50fps range in large battles with my 2600k @ 4.9Ghz.

nope none of the changes have fixed the cpu limitation of the game so far.. i'm in the same boat as you with my phenom II x4 940 @ 3.6Ghz.. even with SLI 8800GT's i get 35FPS all low or completely maxed. i use to get 45-60fps on indar but the 11/9 patch broke that so now i get 35fps on there as well.

Weren't 8800's released ~2007?

I had a chance to play last night. This game is fucking awesome, but there are definitely some glaring bugs that need to be worked out. One of them i experienced was performance.

I had all these questions during the game, but i can't remember most of them now, damnit.

Oh here's a few:

Why are there two deploy screens? One of them has the option to let you go to your squad leader, the other just has Sunderer's and stuff. What exactly is "instant action" and why does it have a cooldown?

How do you capture nodes? Does blowing up their terminals help with anything?

How do you turn a sunderer into a spawn node?

How do you carry more than one grenade?

What's the difference between factions?

I fired 8 rockets at this alien tank thing... it kept regenerating health... how?

Anyone else experience that you have to crank up the mouse sensitivity to be able to fly planes and drive tanks, yet then it makes the sensitivity way too high to look around on a 4x4 or in a weapon turret?

From the comments above, there can never be a victor of the entire map? (all 3 continents)

On the whole, incredible game--i've never seen battles this scale, and they look so cool. If performance was improved a little it would be as smooth as Q3A... but atm, it's a little shy of that.

questions

I'll try to reply to these individually.

-------Why are there two deploy screens? One of them has the option to let you go to your squad leader, the other just has Sunderer's and stuff. What exactly is "instant action" and why does it have a cooldown?

One of them is a map, the other is your respawn screen when you die. Instant Action is every 20 minutes and lets you basically go where the action is, no matter continent, with whatever gear you have right now, including right to your squad leader. Redeploying (and respawning when you die) lets you quickly get back to your main base to switch continents or go to a nearby sunderer or nearby base. Sometimes you want to redeploy to get a main tank from the warpgate when you dont have a tech plant yet.

-------How do you capture nodes? Does blowing up their terminals help with anything?

Just stand near them (The big "A" on a map), or just be in the region of a facility to get points for it upon capture or defense.

Blowing up terminals is generally bad because your own team's infiltrators can hack them for your use. There are situations when its better to just blow them up, like in a big pitched battle or when you cant hold something and just want to deny access.

-------How do you turn a sunderer into a spawn node?

You deploy it. Needs a special piece of equipment on the sundy and cant be done too close to another deployed one. You get xp when someone spawns at your sundy.

-------How do you carry more than one grenade?

Its an upgrade on some classes.

-------What's the difference between factions?

The weapons, main tanks and fighter craft. These give each faction a different playstyle.

-------I fired 8 rockets at this alien tank thing... it kept regenerating health... how?

That's a Magrider, a strafing, hovering tank and my ride of choice. :D It probably had someone repairing it or the pilot repeatedly hopped out to repair, which is standard procedure. Auto-repair units are slow and don't work during combat.

-------Anyone else experience that you have to crank up the mouse sensitivity to be able to fly planes and drive tanks, yet then it makes the sensitivity way too high to look around on a 4x4 or in a weapon turret?

Sensitivity is adjustable for different vehicles. For shooters I play low sens and do that for PS2 infantry and aircraft, but I crank the sens high for vehicle turrets because they are otherwise slower and have a delay in movement.

A mouse with adjustable DPI may help there. I dont bother though.

-------From the comments above, there can never be a victor of the entire map? (all 3 continents)

Yep you can control continents and get a bonus for doing so. Taking all three would be quite a feat since naturally the two smallest factions tend to gang up on the one with the most territory.

Back