Planetside 2

Is there a commander similar to BF2142 commander in PS2? The person who commands squads?

That's what I was thinking, but probably just with TR and VS, though you cant have two characters of different factions on the same server, from what I've read.

But are the weapon mechanics actually implemented enough yet to really make a difference in the feel of the gameplay?

I'm doubting it's that huge of a difference, but I don't want to make that assumption since I've not had a chance to touch the game as of yet.

Unless they changed it from the beta....
I had a char for each faction on the same server.

Some things are hugely different. For the VS, the lack of dropoff on weapons is a big deal. Their Magrider tank also handles completely different from the other two MBTs. Since it doesnt have a rotating main gun, but can strafe.

Unless they changed it from the beta....
I had a char for each faction on the same server.

Well, from what I've read recently, what ever faction you align yourself with on any given server, is what faction you're "stuck with" on that server, unless you start a new character.

I just read something regarding that yesterday, actually.

Some things are hugely different. For the VS, the lack of dropoff on weapons is a big deal. Their Magrider tank also handles completely different from the other two MBTs. Since it doesnt have a rotating main gun, but can strafe.

Well, the lack of drop-off is balanced-out by the fact that, for the VS, the further away a target is, the less damage your shots do, so I'm not sure I'd consider it a "big deal", since it seems like that would basically even things out. Just a slightly different mechanic to slightly adjust to in play style.

Bullet drop-off & spread/recoil vs straight-shots but less dmg at distance. Just a matter of compensating, if it's even really implemented enough.

As for the vehicles, seems that the bigger difference lies with those, in a sense.

Downloading now on Steam, so if you want it through Steam, it's available.

I didn't know it was going to be on Steam. Awesome!

EDIT: Or maybe not, Steam yells at me that I don't have a subscription and can't download it.

EDIT2: Restarting Steam seems to have fixed that. Downloading now.

Downloading now on Steam, so if you want it through Steam, it's available.

Might have to.
Was waiting to see if the beta build would automatically update. Doesn't look like it. Oh well, better start downloading then :D

Damn it, was hoping I didnt have to download 9 GB all over again...

Might have to.
Was waiting to see if the beta build would automatically update. Doesn't look like it. Oh well, better start downloading then :D

Damn it, was hoping I didnt have to download 9 GB all over again...

Damnit... is this true?!?!?! I was really counting on the beta updating to work. Shit! now i'm at work and didn't leave my computer on to remote in and start the DL :(

I didn't know it was going to be on Steam. Awesome!

EDIT: Or maybe not, Steam yells at me that I don't have a subscription and can't download it.

EDIT2: Restarting Steam seems to have fixed that. Downloading now.

Yep, I got the same error. Just has to restart Steam.

I tried opening the beta but got an error. But their site is down, so it may update once their servers stop getting swarmed.

Damnit... is this true?!?!?! I was really counting on the beta updating to work. Shit! now i'm at work and didn't leave my computer on to remote in and start the DL :(

It's a 7.19GB download on Steam, and it's only about a one hour download, at least for me right now. I've only 47min left and I just started the download about ten minutes ago.

I tried opening the beta but got an error. But their site is down, so it may update once their servers stop getting swarmed.

Well the site is back up and its 48 past the hour. Beta client is still erroring out.
I think you got some downloadin to do...

Beta client is not patch able for launch. Smed said so himself, so start downloading :p.

Off to a great start, cant even read server names, SIGH.............................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

soefail.jpg

Fixed the problem with switching the launcher language to non-english, launching the game, exiting then switching it back.

I've loaded in now, and I've just spent 1400 SC on weapons and neither of them have unlocked, the HA Mini Chaingun and Grounder AA for the HA both unlocked, both credited the SC from my account and neither have unlocked.

Fixed the problem with switching the launcher language to non-english, launching the game, exiting then switching it back.

I've loaded in now, and I've just spent 1400 SC on weapons and neither of them have unlocked, the HA Mini Chaingun and Grounder AA for the HA both unlocked, both credited the SC from my account and neither have unlocked.

Global message was just sent in game, if you had purchase issues, log out and log back into Station login, the launcher thing, and you should see your items.

Whats the word on this? I see free to play, but that usually means your fucked to be useless. Is this a game I need to toss money at to get a decent experience from it?

Whats the word on this? I see free to play, but that usually means your fucked to be useless. Is this a game I need to toss money at to get a decent experience from it?

at least in the beta, i felt plenty useful with stock shit.

I felt far from useless in the Beta and I spent $0. Most upgrades in the game are sidegrades...There is a minus to every plus.

A lot of stuff you can earn / purchase are flatout upgardes from what i understand. But not very significant, think more in line with BF3 unlocks.

Some weapon counters you must earn / buy.

"Game Error G37"
I got this one, seems to be a network issue on their end. I tried again and got right in the game no issues. I'm in the gym in 10 mins so no time to play tonight.

Well the game just CTD after 3 hours of play.
Time for a break! :)

BTW, fucking Nvidia.
They release these new beta drivers, that have the same issue the .34 drivers had with intense stuttering.
Went back to beta .54 and everything is perfect. :-/

A lot of stuff you can earn / purchase are flatout upgardes from what i understand. But not very significant, think more in line with BF3 unlocks.

Some weapon counters you must earn / buy.

I donno, some unlocks were huge in BF3, like the snipers for example.

Question: is there any way to tell which maps are running which continents?

I only by chance was able to start a new character on a server running a different continent so I'm now able to play in different environmets. I don't think continents are in rotation and I thought there was a third continent also being released, but I've no idea what (don't remember the name) and servers don't list what they're running.

So far, though, the game is fantastic. It looks beautiful maxed-out, runs smooth maxed-out, gameplay is fluid, mechanics are fluid and intuitive and it's just addictive gameplay.

Runs smooth maxed out??? There's a billion threads on the planetside forums and reddit how poorly the game is optimized. It appears their engine (like Everquest 2) is hardly utilizing more than 2 CPU cores. What's your FPS in battle?

Question: is there any way to tell which maps are running which continents?

I only by chance was able to start a new character on a server running a different continent so I'm now able to play in different environmets. I don't think continents are in rotation and I thought there was a third continent also being released, but I've no idea what (don't remember the name) and servers don't list what they're running.

So far, though, the game is fantastic. It looks beautiful maxed-out, runs smooth maxed-out, gameplay is fluid, mechanics are fluid and intuitive and it's just addictive gameplay.

All servers run all continents. Go to your factions warp gate, find the console with the globe above it, go to the continent of your choice.

Runs smooth maxed out??? There's a billion threads on the planetside forums and reddit how poorly the game is optimized. It appears their engine (like Everquest 2) is hardly utilizing more than 2 CPU cores. What's your FPS in battle?

Maybe i'm just lucky but I had good performance throughout the beta even in heavy firefights. like 40-60fps. I wouldn't call it that unoptimized because the only game i can think of that comes close to doing what this does is arma 2 and that game is also very demanding.

Last edited:

If that was the case the game would still run ok possibly on say a high clocked C2D or even a Phenom II X2. You really need a quad core to get smooth game play IMO. A i3 w/ HT isn't half bad though.

Back