Planetside 2

launching this beta is like pulling teeth.

start the LaunchPad application
"Checking 48,719 files".....
"Installing 517Kb"....
*hard drive thrashes for 4 minutes, leaving computer unusable*
finally big green >>Play<< button illuminates

what am i doing wrong here? is there an easier way to launch the game or just the nature of the (beta) beast?

launching this beta is like pulling teeth.

start the LaunchPad application
"Checking 48,719 files".....
"Installing 517Kb"....
*hard drive thrashes for 4 minutes, leaving computer unusable*
finally big green >>Play<< button illuminates

what am i doing wrong here? is there an easier way to launch the game or just the nature of the (beta) beast?

every time you open the game it'll download a file, though i'm not sure why your system would be unusable, i usually just open it wait the 4-5 seconds for it to file check and download the single file and start the game. i mean unless you are running the game on your boot drive thats the only thing i can think of.

nvm i guess i spoke to soon, i haven't played since the last patch a couple days ago.. holy crap this shit takes for ever now and the drive thrashing is retarded..

Man, the alpha is just killing my rig. Any suggestions on settings? THe game looks bad on anything but high :/

Single 1920x1200 monitor and my sig rig I average 10-30fps in battles, 30-60fps in lower pop areas. The 20fps battles just makes the game not fun. Current settings are 1920x1200 res and mostly high(a few medium) settings.

-> http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...eriously-going-to-ignore-amd-cpu-users.41535/

Haven't bought an AMD cpu since 2007, bad optimization or not, I don't care, stick with Intel or endure the consequences :p

if you're in alpha squad: www.planetside2.com/reserve-name

Also, they gave everyone 1k certs last night to make up for some rollback issues they had with the latest patch. While I was playing after spending my 1k last night, I came back from being afk a bit to find another 2k cert points come out of nowhere!

Got me a pretty sweet vanguard and liberator among other things :D :cool:

While I was playing after spending my 1k last night, I came back from being afk a bit to find another 2k cert points come out of nowhere!

If you spent any of your 1k before the server restart you got them back plus the 1k and your purchases.

Also big patch incoming, HERE. Indar and Esamir empty, aplha squad weapon unlocks are new unreleased weapons, and weapon testing confirmed before release.

Whats the best single VideoCard to run this game maxed out on 27" monitors running 2560X1440 resolution ? GTX-680 or ATI 7970 ?

The free 1000 certs was great, I tested a bunch of things on 3 different characters from the 3 factions.

VS: Bought dual Comets (anti-armor MAX gun). Awesome in that it has no dropoff no matter the distance. Horrible speed though so you never actually hit. Stick with double Bursters.

Also got a Saron for the magrider, something I'll do again at launch. Anti-tank sniper cannon for the gunner, no dropoff. The strafe speed boost is great too, even though it sounds low (1kph) it is actually pretty noticeable.

NC: Loaded a Reaver with all the goodies only to quickly remember that I suck at flying.

TR: Ok this was pretty funny. Pimped out a Flash and heavy infantry certs. With max control speed, stealth and a turret this is pretty fun to zip around in. Turbo too for running over people. Stick some C4 on the front if you want a bomber ;)

No one can really comment on videocard / cpu performance properly at this moment.

To put it plainly, its optimized very poorly.

The "BIG OPTIMIZATION" they did last patch was for slower / older machines.

They keep claiming its heavily CPU reliant, yet most have shown it hardly ever exceeds 35% of cpu use on a more modern cpu.

Tonight's patch is supposed to include more optiz. but we'll have to wait and see, this will likely be the deciding point of whether or not i opt for the "alpha" / pre order package.

No one can really comment on videocard / cpu performance properly at this moment.

They keep claiming its heavily CPU reliant, yet most have shown it hardly ever exceeds 35% of cpu use on a more modern cpu.

Tonight's patch is supposed to include more optiz. but we'll have to wait and see, this will likely be the deciding point of whether or not i opt for the "alpha" / pre order package.

The game is very CPU bound. My 2500K is always over 50% usage at least anyway with spikes into 80%+. The game simply doesn't use all the cores be it a quad or a six core.

I'm getting terrible audio distortion after about 30 minutes of play, I've tried adjusting numerous sound settings within Win8 without any luck.

I'm using Realtek on-board sound and the 2.70 drivers. Any suggestions?

im not gonna do those pre order packages. fuck i dont think i am going to pre order anything any more unless there is a deal.

VS: Bought dual Comets (anti-armor MAX gun). Awesome in that it has no dropoff no matter the distance. Horrible speed though so you never actually hit. Stick with double Bursters

Bursters are great! Low drop off and fast speed. Super easy to lead.

it is but it isn't.. the game is designed to support multiple threads(more than 2) but the game actually doesn't fully use them.. it will only use 50% of your processor whether you have 2 threads or 12 threads. now if you turn off gpu physics core 0 will go from 50% to some where between 60-80% depending on your graphic settings but thats the only thread it effects. windows can't load balance it out. so the game is very IPC dependent which is retarded as hell since i know my phenom II x4 940 and 8800GT's can easily play the game if the engine wasn't garbage.

but the funny part about that "big optimization" patch is it did dick for low end systems. it only effected high end systems. my performance actually went down not up where as my friend on his 3770k had a massive performance improvement. the games fun but until they actually figure out how to code an engine this games going to die a quick death like PS1 did.

Nah he turned it up when his outfit was discussing strategies or something.

So, how this game compares to bf2142 for casual player who plays every weekend ?

So, how this game compares to bf2142 for casual player who plays every weekend ?

It doesn't. It's multiples larger. Everything is on a much more massive scale. There is no "win" because at any moment a base can be recaptured. It's 24/7 war.

It doesn't. It's multiples larger. Everything is on a much more massive scale. There is no "win" because at any moment a base can be recaptured. It's 24/7 war.

So , basically unless I invest huge amount of time into the game almost every day with some clan it is no fun at all and no feeling of victory like in BF2142 after every game I play causally once a week?

Last edited:
So , basically unless I invest huge amount of time into the game almost every day with some clan it is no fun at all and no feeling of victory like in BF2142 after every game I play causally once a week?

Right, totally. Except, no..... no, no. No.

Victory is taking an enemy base, defending yours successfully, to wiping out a enemy tank column with your outfit. That is out it is for me when I play this game. I don't need a screen pop up saying I won.

Victory is taking an enemy base, defending yours successfully, to wiping out a enemy tank column with your outfit. That is out it is for me when I play this game. I don't need a screen pop up saying I won.

Exactly. Knowing we held the Crown all day against vastly superior numbers and firepower is all the satisfaction I need. I do think I need to start looking around for a nice outfit sometime soon as some real organized teamwork would be nice. Still not sure if I want to stick with NC or TR yet.

Exactly. Knowing we held the Crown all day against vastly superior numbers and firepower is all the satisfaction I need. I do think I need to start looking around for a nice outfit sometime soon as some real organized teamwork would be nice. Still not sure if I want to stick with NC or TR yet.

Whole day? Sounds scary for casual player :)

Whole day? Sounds scary for casual player :)

I only played for a couple of hours but it was a defensive battle that was raging on the server for most of the day. Then again the entire purpose of the Crown was to have an area with close to 24/7 combat action.

Haha, my cousin was the passenger in this video drunkenly yelling crap in the background.

http://youtu.be/fYNcaBvzyg0

As for if you'll like this game, its 2142 on crack, with actual tactics involved. The fact that the BF3 thread is still going strong a year after that console ported piece of shit was released, yet this game is barely getting any love, shows how PC gamers are responsible for the decline of PC gaming. Its a damn shame. This game is the single best FPS I've played in my life. Fucking incredible experiences and action.

I think they shot themselves in the foot by releasing the game as F2P.

Oh, it's free, it must be garbage. Lets play some BF3 guyzzzz!

Haha, my cousin was the passenger in this video drunkenly yelling crap in the background.

http://youtu.be/fYNcaBvzyg0

As for if you'll like this game, its 2142 on crack, with actual tactics involved. The fact that the BF3 thread is still going strong a year after that console ported piece of shit was released, yet this game is barely getting any love, shows how PC gamers are responsible for the decline of PC gaming. Its a damn shame. This game is the single best FPS I've played in my life. Fucking incredible experiences and action.

at least that consolized piece of garbage can fully use my phenom II x4 940.. i'm not much of a BF3 fan either but quite frankly i'm fed up with dealing with games that aren't optimized at all. planetside 2 could be such an awesome game but when your cpu limited in 2012 because your engine can't fully use a quad core processor then what are you doing making games? the game its self is awesome but i'm not going to drop 1000 dollars to build a system just to get 60fps when i should be getting 60fps with what i have now.

at least that consolized piece of garbage can fully use my phenom II x4 940.. i'm not much of a BF3 fan either but quite frankly i'm fed up with dealing with games that aren't optimized at all. planetside 2 could be such an awesome game but when your cpu limited in 2012 because your engine can't fully use a quad core processor then what are you doing making games? the game its self is awesome but i'm not going to drop 1000 dollars to build a system just to get 60fps when i should be getting 60fps with what i have now.

The game/engine is poorly multi-threaded that's for sure, and they might improve that but I highly doubt it, I have a feeling that the engineering team behind the engine don't have much to do with the actual game itself, that the PS2 dev team seem more like they're modding the engine, I think originally this was created as a platform for several future SOE MMOs like EQN.

It's just a guess but I'd be very surprised if we see any genuine optimization come out of this game, if we see better frame rates it will be because they've dropped the scope of the game, less players or less effects, they're not really done anything so far to suggest they're capable of optimizing the engine.

That said, bung a 2600k into a half decent mobo, overclock to 4.7Ghz+ and you'll have a CPU capable of ~50fps average in large fights, that wont set you back $1000

I may be wrong, but I think you'll have to buy the actual basic game, then F2P covers what would normally be a subscription to access their servers on a monthly basis.

nope don't have to pay a dime.. you can pay money which gives you a shortcut to unlock weapons and classes but they don't make a massive difference in the game. it doesn't allow you to gain cert points any faster which are more important then actually unlocking weapons. in the 200+ hours i have in the game i don't thing i've played anything but engie.. easiest class to gain XP/cert points with(that is when the repair tool isn't broken in various updates, lol).

nope don't have to pay a dime.. you can pay money which gives you a shortcut to unlock weapons and classes but they don't make a massive difference in the game. it doesn't allow you to gain cert points any faster which are more important then actually unlocking weapons. in the 200+ hours i have in the game i don't thing i've played anything but engie.. easiest class to gain XP/cert points with(that is when the repair tool isn't broken in various updates, lol).

If it is free to play whey they ask 40 dolars here for it?
http://www.planetside2.com/

It's $40 for a package called "Alpha Squad" which is entirely option, it's just a bonus package of in game currency, unlocks and boosts for when the game launches as well as early access to the beta.

On release day you'll be able to download the game and play for free without spending anything at all.

It's $40 for a package called "Alpha Squad" which is entirely option, it's just a bonus package of in game currency, unlocks and boosts for when the game launches as well as early access to the beta.

On release day you'll be able to download the game and play for free without spending anything at all.

I guess without Alpha squad unlock I will be duying even if enemy just looked at me briefly? :) Or from a wind stronger then 1 m/s.

I guess without Alpha squad unlock I will be duying even if enemy just looked at me briefly? :) Or from a wind stronger then 1 m/s.

lol no but if you want to think that go right ahead..

on a side note, if your on TC side on amerish, be careful buying a ground vehicle at the main spawn! you'll fall through the map.. so pissed.. spent 5 minutes doing my certs for the vanguard.. finally buy it and fall through the map the second i buy it.(and yes i tested it with all the vehicles, all of them fell through the map, lol)

Last edited:
So got the alpha pack today,
PS2 crash desktop constantly with NV surround, ;/

Considering beta is close to an end and game launch imminent, are they still giving beta keys away?

Back