Planar PX2611W 26"

nikolausp said:
Interesting. I'm guessing it's probably because you haven't calibrated your monitor to it.
The pink isn't the problem. The problem is it doesn't reduce the gamut at all. It's basically a bad 6500K preset, not sRGB.

That reminds me. If you go into the info screen in the menu and press AUTO + SOURCE + MENU, you'll get some kind of service menu that lets you set the color presets:

menu.jpg

The sRGB preset is called 6500K there.

I guess we need more clarification here, Toasty... I tried it with nothing on the screen (as far as the menu goes)... pushing the buttons you mentioned, one at a time, and all together... nothing of the sort you showed here is coming up...

The only thing I get NOW (did I CAHNGE something?) is when I push the EXIT button ---- on the top right of the monitor I get the DV MODE which I can toggle between TEXT-STANDARD-MOVIE etc. by pushing the EXIT button again...

Do you have the same thing, fellow PX26 owners?...

You need to be in the info screen of the menu, and you need to press all the buttons at the same time.

Well... I push the (OSM is it called?) MENU button to get the menu up, and then push the buttons you suggested, ane after the other and all the same time, and nothing happens... The menu stays up till I delete it with the EXIT button...

Still, pushing the EXIT button again gives me the DVI MODE on the top right...

You have to be in the info screen where it tells you the resolution and serial number.

OK, there you go...

Nice, now I wish I knew what is it telling me... The numbers are very close to what you've posted here...

AND NOW, HOW DO I GET RID OF THAT THING??? Pushing the EXIT button doesn't eliminate it...

The numbers are just settings. I couldn't figure out how to exit it other than to turn the monitor off and back on.

Which combo was it?

AUTO+SOURCE+MENU

Now, tell me what's the significance of these numbers... I can only guess that that's what the CALIBRATION system adjusted on my Video Card... Am I right?

And the Version I have is 1.02MGGKO and no "to" there on the right of the version number...

The numbers are just settings for the presets, and the gain/offset settings are probably for VGA. They have nothing to do with calibration or the video card.

I lost the point of this interesting find then.... I have little knowledge about such things... is there something that should be changed in those presets for more accurate/more pleasant viewing?

toasty is the king of details

And why are MY setting a bit different than your's Toasty? Is that the difference in the version?

amikoenig said:
And why are MY setting a bit different than your's Toasty? Is that the difference in the version?
Settings will vary from unit to unit. It doesn't really matter. It only affects the presets.

There's really no point in messing with it. It's just an interesting find. There's nothing special you can do other than set the presets.

Jefe, the reason I want to get things to be sRGB on all ends (camera + monitor profile settings), is so I DON'T have to edit things ("sham" in your eyes) much on the computer to get it to print well at the photo lab on their sRGB printer (which most all Pro Photo Labs are)...
Smart approach. Most amateurs that try to do aRGB or ProRGB are jerking themselves off and creating more work for no result.

If I understand what ToastyX has reported the sRGB profile in color aware applications works fine on this monitor so it should not impact your colorwork flow at all. Its not a concern for color aware applications. This problem is more fundamental. Given that all content outside of graphics applications is sRGB the failure to display the appropriate sRGB profile means that the colors for everything outside of Photoshop is blown, oversaturated. That is much bigger issue as it effects everything else you do. Images viewed on the web and games won't be right, etc.

Given that this is such as W3C and OS standard, I amazed that this hasn't been dealt with on a driver level before launch.:confused:

Smart approach. Most amateurs that try to do aRGB or ProRGB are jerking themselves off and creating more work for no result.

If I understand what ToastyX has reported the sRGB profile in color aware applications works fine on this monitor so it should not impact your colorwork flow at all. Its not a concern for color aware applications. This problem is more fundamental. Given that all content outside of graphics applications is sRGB the failure to display the appropriate sRGB profile means that the colors for everything outside of Photoshop is blown, oversaturated. That is much bigger issue as it effects everything else you do. Images viewed on the web and games won't be right, etc.

Given that this is such as W3C and OS standard, I amazed that this hasn't been dealt with on a driver level before launch.:confused:

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to understand what this all means to me, as far as what I'm going to have to do in order to get the setup I want, as it pertains to calibrating with my Eye-One Display 2.

Does it mean that I'll set the monitor to it's sRGB mode, do a calibration with the Eye One Display 2 to 2.2gamma, and 6,500 kelvin, 120 luminance, etc..... and then my Photoshop CS3, Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, and PainterX will all look good in correct sRGB, but the anything else I do like surf the web, etc, will look worse?

Is there some kind of way I can save modes? Like, switch to the sRGB when I want to be in Graphics programs, and then switch back to wide-gamut mode when I'm surfing the web?

I wonder if there is any way that Windows itself can be made color aware for desktop applications. With wide gamut starting to break out, one would hope Microsoft is working on that.. Or else all non-professional wide gamut displays will have that problem. If I am reading it right the more expensive displays can be calibrated at the display electronics level to overcome the issue? I figure since they have the 12 bit LUTs and such, which would help. But cheaper consumer displays aren't going to have that, and probably won't for a long time.

It weird but you guys say sRGB/6500K is too pink.. I have that problem on EVERY display.. Anything under 9500K to me is too pink/red or too yellow.

This monitor does have a custom mode to be able to set the individual color gain/bias by hand, I hope. I don't think the presets will be any good to me, as it seems that I have some measure of vision problems with the red end of the color spectrum.

Yes, you can mess around with the individual color gain on the PX26.... But as Toasty noted before, it's more like messing it up... You need a lot of patience... I'd rather NOT deal with it... I calibrated (uisng the same eye-one display 2) and am happy. It's working for MY purposes, as a graphic designer preparing stuff for PRINTING...

But the question nikolausp has raised here is very good... Let's see what the experts are coming up with.

Yeah I will proabably have to mess with it some.. Even if I did get a calibrator I just would have to wonder what I would lose by calibrating it solely through software. Plus the fact that calibrators make the picture too yellow for me.

Just remember to write down, or better take a screen shot of the default levels (AUTO+SOURCE+MENU, see above), so that you can always go back to them once you manage to mess things up...

...Does it mean that I'll set the monitor to it's sRGB mode, do a calibration with the Eye One Display 2 to 2.2gamma, and 6,500 kelvin, 120 luminance, etc..... and then my Photoshop CS3, Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, and PainterX will all look good in correct sRGB, but the anything else I do like surf the web, etc, will look worse?...

As for regular desktop operations, I have no clue. It doesn't sound like anyone has a solution yet unless ToastyX is wrong about the sRGB preset.

As for the other programs you listed, correct me if I am wrong anyone, but it shouldn't be an issue. Profile with your color calibrator but just make sure you have set your color management in each of those programs to sRGB (often sRGB is the default). In PS the preset for U.S. Web has all of the right settings. The issue in discusion would only be an issue outside of these programs. Profling with your color calibrator will not effect what color space is used and will only improve the images displayed by your monitor regardless of which color space you are viewing an image within.

Just don't expect your images to look right on the web or any other application outside of the ones you listed without a fix.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to understand what this all means to me, as far as what I'm going to have to do in order to get the setup I want, as it pertains to calibrating with my Eye-One Display 2.

Does it mean that I'll set the monitor to it's sRGB mode, do a calibration with the Eye One Display 2 to 2.2gamma, and 6,500 kelvin, 120 luminance, etc..... and then my Photoshop CS3, Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, and PainterX will all look good in correct sRGB, but the anything else I do like surf the web, etc, will look worse?

Is there some kind of way I can save modes? Like, switch to the sRGB when I want to be in Graphics programs, and then switch back to wide-gamut mode when I'm surfing the web?

This is a very good question. WHen we do a calibration as an example with the Spyder 2 does it only calibrate the setting in the mode we have it in? If I have it set to 7500K does it only calibrate that mode? Would I go to each mode 9300K, 7500K. sRGB and User and calibrate them individually?

I wonder if there is any way that Windows itself can be made color aware for desktop applications....
I think you have that one backwards. sRGB is the standard unless another color profile used by a coloraware program. I think the burden is on the monitor manufactures as they are aware of this standard and how it works. I see no reason why this couldn't be fixed on a firmware update. And given that this is a known standard, it begs the question why it is even an issue?!?

I think you have that one backwards. sRGB is the standard unless another color profile used by a coloraware program. I think the burden is on the monitor manufactures as they are aware of this standard and how it works. I see no reason why this couldn't be fixed on a firmware update. And given that this is a known standard, it begs the question why it is even an issue?!?

Yeah but wouldn't windows look a hell of a lot better if it could take advantage of the wide gamut?

I was under the impression wide gamut was a display issue.

The digital signal and data is going to be 32-bit 16.7 million colors no matter how you send it to the monitor. The wide-gamut-ness is simply how well the monitor will display said colors, so it's entirely up to the display hardware as to how that digital signal is interpreted.

Nope. Yes currently DVI is limited to 8 bits and sRGB happens to be an 8 bit color space. See the marriage.:p But no, gamut only matters to image quality in that if the gamut is not wide enough to view the color space displayed then there are issues. sRGB is not out of gamut for most modern monitors so a wider gamut doesn't help.

Yeah but wouldn't windows look a hell of a lot better if it could take advantage of the wide gamut?
Yes, if Windows and our browsers were coloraware that would be cool. There is a coloraware browser for Apple but yes, if that were the case it would be very pimp. But on the flipside 99% of content is currently sRGB so as of today it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Well, I guess this simply a design oversight, issue that seems to effect all of these wide gamut monitors as I found in this article at Professional Photographers (www.ppmag.com). From an review on the NEC2180WG. If this $3,600 monitor can't get it right then I guess we can't fault the Planar. I sitll say this should be fixed with firmware. So I guess I will be sticking to non wide gamut unless they fix this issue.

articleev3.gif

Ah well.. I'll just have to deal with it. :D

Most likely will be ordering the Planar on Friday from PCNation.

Could someone who has this please tell me how much clearance there is, with the monitor extended to full height, between the bottom edge of the display bezel and the top surface of the circular base? I ask because I was wondering if I could get my M-Audio LX4 center speaker under there (on its side that speaker sits 5.7 in tall).

Right at 2.5" clearance between the top of the base and the bottom of the display bezel.

BTW, I was told by my orthopedic doctor that I need to have my monitor raised enough so that I don't tilt my head down, but rather slightly UP (=ergonomics) so I mounted the monitor on a Yellow Pages book... As long as you live in or near a big city, your book is THICK enough to raise the monitor about 1.5" extra...

FedEX just knocked on my door and delivered my 26" Planar PX. I guess I'll see what this bad boy can do.

Ok, 2 hours later, here is your report :)

Monitor looks great! :) I set it to sRGB, and set the colors to USER settings, and then I calibrated it with my Eye-One Display 2 kit. Results are good, were just what I'm looking for. Colors on the web, etc, look great, as well as those inside of graphics programs. sRGB mode on the Planar seems to be working how it should.

Here is the results page after calibration:

resultseb4.jpg

Back