Planar PX2611W 26"

Nice, nikolausp.

Since I'm on the Mac, I wonder where is that screen-shot you posted taken from, is it from the Eye-One calibration program, or from one of Windows' Control Panel?

Ok, 2 hours later, here is your report :)

Monitor looks great! :) I set it to sRGB, and set the colors to USER settings, and then I calibrated it with my Eye-One Display 2 kit. Results are good, were just what I'm looking for. Colors on the web, etc, look great, as well as those inside of graphics programs. sRGB mode on the Planar seems to be working how it should.

Here is the results page after calibration:

resultseb4.jpg

Ok Im confused. Exactly what procedure did you use for setting the sRGB with User settings?

nikolausp said:
Monitor looks great! :) I set it to sRGB, and set the colors to USER settings, and then I calibrated it with my Eye-One Display 2 kit. Results are good, were just what I'm looking for. Colors on the web, etc, look great, as well as those inside of graphics programs. sRGB mode on the Planar seems to be working how it should.
By setting the DV mode to sRGB and the colors to USER, you basically just switched the colors back to the default, which is actually the best anyway, but the colors will reset to sRGB if you switch DV modes. This is another example of what I mean when I say the OSD is very quirky. It's not supposed to let you change the colors in sRGB mode. If you want to see how bad sRGB really is, leave the colors at sRGB and try recalibrating it.

The sRGB preset doesn't work like it should. Look at the gamut graph. It's wide. It's not sRGB.

Also, look at the contrast ratio (120.9 / 0.45). It's no higher than 269:1, and that was assuming it rounded up. That just proves my point that this monitor can't get down to 120 cd/m² without losing significant contrast.

Your monitor probably has backlight bleeding as well because the black luminance shouldn't be that high.

Right at 2.5" clearance between the top of the base and the bottom of the display bezel.

BTW, I was told by my orthopedic doctor that I need to have my monitor raised enough so that I don't tilt my head down, but rather slightly UP (=ergonomics) so I mounted the monitor on a Yellow Pages book... As long as you live in or near a big city, your book is THICK enough to raise the monitor about 1.5" extra...
thanks for the help, amikoenig. That's a problem with these new (and no doubt cheaper) height adjustments that rely solely on a tilting column. If I get this, I'll probably look into buying a separate desk-mountable monitor arm with a greater height range.

By setting the DV mode to sRGB and the colors to USER, you basically just switched the colors back to the default, which is actually the best anyway, but the colors will reset to sRGB if you switch DV modes. This is another example of what I mean when I say the OSD is very quirky. It's not supposed to let you change the colors in sRGB mode. If you want to see how bad sRGB really is, leave the colors at sRGB and try recalibrating it.

The sRGB preset doesn't work like it should. Look at the gamut graph. It's wide. It's not sRGB.

Also, look at the contrast ratio (120.9 / 0.45). It's no higher than 269:1, and that was assuming it rounded up. That just proves my point that this monitor can't get down to 120 cd/m² without losing significant contrast.

Your monitor probably has backlight bleeding as well because the black luminance shouldn't be that high.

So essentially, your saying this monitor blows? I don't know much about the things you just said, All I know is that I put it on USER mode, set it with my calibrator, and then locked out the OSD menu so it can't change. Monitor looks great to me.

I don't even know what backlight bleeding or black luminance is. I don't see a black luminance number on the results screen. I guess I don't have a good eye to know what to look for, but to me the monitor looks great, the colors look awesome. Now I just gotta see how my pictures print at the Photo Lab, compared with how they look on the screen.

thanks for the help, amikoenig. That's a problem with these new (and no doubt cheaper) height adjustments that rely solely on a tilting column. If I get this, I'll probably look into buying a separate desk-mountable monitor arm with a greater height range.

The stand is the one thing I hate about this monitor. The BenQ241 and Dell 2407 have the nice stands.

So essentially, your saying this monitor blows? I don't know much about the things you just said, All I know is that I put it on USER mode, set it with my calibrator, and then locked out the OSD menu so it can't change. Monitor looks great to me.

The main thing is that the picture looks great to you. Everyone has different tastes on what looks good with these monitors. A few years ago I had a Dell 2001 that I just couldnt get the picture I liked no matter how much I tried calibrating it. I ended up giving it to my son. Now 2 years later I have gotten this monitor along with some others and have been very happy with the picture and that is all that matters.

You have to check the backlight bleed with a black screen in a dark room.
I have minimal on mine at the top maybe 1 inch across and half inch down. Very little which I cant even see unless I go to black screen very dark room.......which means I will never see it.

...I don't know much about the things you just said...
Don't worry, many here are in the same boat... This whole "science" of LCD display is VAST and COMPLICATED... And one thing to bear in mind, and as Toasty himself admitted, NONE of those LCD displays is perfect... This technology, while MUCH advanced than what it used to be 4-5 years ago (yet at less than 1/2 price...) has still some way to go...

Also, (calibrating my Ink-Jet printer vs. my new PX26 today...) bear in mind that there is really NO way to get the EXACT SAME colors between what you see on your screen and what will show in print, be it photo-print, your Ink-Jet proofer or high-resolution offset printing... These different technologies and media will ALWAYS shift colors a bit between each other.

nikolausp said:
All I'm saying is sRGB mode doesn't work like it should, and the contrast suffers if you need a low brightness. If neither is a problem for you, don't worry about it.

Basically all the blacks are .5 nits brighter than they should be, a 0.4% error, or about 1/255. I guess instead of pixel values 0-255 you get 1-256 ? :)

Basically all the blacks are .5 nits brighter than they should be, a 0.4% error, or about 1/255. I guess instead of pixel values 0-255 you get 1-256 ? :)

How can you tell that info, based on the chart info I posted?

And, what's a nit?

Nice, nikolausp.

Since I'm on the Mac, I wonder where is that screen-shot you posted taken from, is it from the Eye-One calibration program, or from one of Windows' Control Panel?

It's the summary screen in the Eye-One software, after calibration.

Yes, you can mess around with the individual color gain on the PX26.... But as Toasty noted before, it's more like messing it up... You need a lot of patience... I'd rather NOT deal with it... I calibrated (uisng the same eye-one display 2) and am happy. It's working for MY purposes, as a graphic designer preparing stuff for PRINTING...

But the question nikolausp has raised here is very good... Let's see what the experts are coming up with.

Amikoenig,

Can you please explain to me what DV Mode you have your Planar PX26 in? Do you just leave it in Standard mode? What numbers did you try to Target with your calibration?

How can you tell that info, based on the chart info I posted?

And, what's a nit?

1 nit is 1 cd/m^2, a measure of brightness.. Your diagram lists a minimum of 0.5 cd/m^2, or half a candle per square meter.. That means black is represented by 0.5 nits instead of 0.0 nits, an error of 0.5 nits. If you assume all your colors are 0.5 nits too bright, then white, with a brightness of 121 nits, has a relative error of 0.5/121 = 1/242, which is just greater than 1/255, the error of a single pixel value difference.

Doesn't sound that bad to me..

I have my DV mode at the default -- TEXT. Am uninterested in sRGB or ANY RGB, for that matter, since I'm into PRINTING, so any photo is immediately converted to CMYK...

As to numbers to Target with my calibration? Am not sure what you mean.... I first set my brightness to zero, my contrast to 50% and than ran the calibration program... I ran it several times, trying different modes, including with ambient light, and once I also ran it in the room dark... Then I decided which of the settings to keep.

I received the monitor!

The thing is huge. The base is cool with the free lazy-susan (70's term) bottom spinner. the arm is stiff but it doesnt shake. the 24" lg shakes and shimmies like a real live monkey. (quote about a rubber monkey in a gag/oddball Johnson Smith catalog). It goes down super low which is what I need to not crane my neck.

The contrast I increased past 50. Crushing whites? the thing is so bright, doesnt matter. In text mode its on, native resolution of course. Print is very clear. Could it be clearer? possibly. I dont see a mva or pva that I have checked to be clearer for text. Switching from a crt enables me to sit much farther back with an even SMALLER ppi setting yet totally read things a lot better. Black backgrounds with text like this website is really awesome.

I messed around with colour temperatures. They are good. rgb is pinkish, I can see that. Not much of a use to me anyways. I need to test various things with the colour mode but the the 7500 looks pleasant.

Backlight uneveness. This is interesting. I viewed the screen at night with no lights on a 100% black setting that the Dead Pixel program I have has.

it looks like there is a whiter dust area up left from the sagital line. I was like hm.... that sux? sorta, slightly i mean its about 1 1/2 inches wide and super faint. then I stood up. it was gone. walked around. gone. then i looked down at the bottom of the screen, it showed some bleed/dusting glow. Er hm. If you look dead on, you cant. the monitor is too big for any device or human to look dead on. When you move, some of dusty faint white shifts. It really doesnt have good contrast viewing angles, it has perfect colour viewing angles. That might make no sense but it goes like this: If image isnt colourful, side to side at extreme odd angles looking down at it, it dusts out. If coloured images, like a photo or a game, its intense. Strange. So my opinion is that Toasty's monitor was really crappy. I mean really crappy. Dead on there is no uneveness except for the upper left area, very tiny area, very very VERY hard to see with artistic eyes. impossible to see if not looking at pure black area without motion. lost souls has bars on top and bottom, ultra widescreen filming. In darkest of the dark scenes, you cannot see the faint white ever. I would say, effectively 0 bleeding, scientifcally, 5% area of low level of bleeding/non uniformity.

Blacks vs. greys: Black obviously isnt as good as the 22" mitsubishi. However.... its actually not far away! At night? well, to look at any lcd to me in darkness for up close work means you will need to wear a welders mask. My eyes need hardly any light, im like a possum or something. my place is lit up by 15-25 watt bulbs and normally i keep only 1-2 on. So, viewing it as a computer screen, you need some wattage of light for it to not be that bright. this might be more of my new to lcd's rather than the Planar.

Watching a dvd, Lost SOuls, on ATI's multimedia center (really awesome dvd setup that comes with allinwonder, very crisp with low artifacts, etc, too bad AMD sux and bought ati as it probably wont be around ever again) Well, the dvd looked terrible. Know why? the dvd is terrible :) Im exagerating, but really, you could see the errors in digitization, lint on the film, other oddball stuff. Also, Lost souls was done with a bit of 16mm defects intentionally it seems and a Sepia colourtone. I will try out some Lord of the Rings tonight and a few re-mastered anime stuff I have. All I can say is wow. It blows away the 32 inch samsung, 40 inch superclear samsung, blows away xbr4 edition 46" Sony. I have no idea how they make 15000 to one contrast claims. This thing kicks their asses ( I sell the tvs 3 days a week, watching the Incredibles right now).

Subjectively, as an artist (sculptor), it is appealing. It is really pleasant and soothing to look at stuff like lost souls. It gives a very earthy image vs cold and bold blasting colour image that every other lcd I have used has had. I wish I had a apple cinema screen to test it with/against.

Ghosting? nope. clean movements, blur? not really anything of note. I think vodka and cranberry with lime caused more blur than the planar. (I like stoli for that).

I havent tested gaming out. I am having a problem getting 1:1 to work. I realized that 1:1 is a term and not a setting. I am unsure where to set that and how to make it go properly. Anyone help there?

Viewing angles I do not give it a high score. All lcd's suck in that manner so I guess thats that. the claim of h-ips being better than pva or mva might not be true. IF it is, then all lcds really suck ass for viewing angles. However, I dont see the reason to sit more than 30 degrees off of center. this can do that fine without noticing anything in a movie. where do companies get off with 178 degree angles? 60 is more like it, and most I see at the store are like 40 that cost above 2000 dollars. maybe its just me.

My goal tonight is to figure out how to game at 1:1 and aspect resizing modes. What do I do with my x1900 card, the catalyst control center, and my OSD to get it to do the two of those options?

Price wise, it is super cheap. 26" tv's of high quality are over 700 dollars. 300 more you get 1080p, a real monitor, IPS screen, more accurate colours (by a long shot) and a 3 year warranty with a small personable company.

Well I just ordered mine from PCNation for $936 shipped.

Now just praying everything goes right and FedEx doesn't kill it on the way here. :D

Prices seem to be coming down. TechOnWeb is now at $912.05 - but slower UPS Ground shipping ($20.94) brings it right back to within a few dollars of PCNation.

Anybody checked about an EXTENDED WARRANTY? I know some on-line dealers are offering it. I talked to Planar and the guy said for this particular product there is NO EXTENDED WARRANTY AVAILABLE...

So I wonder why would some dealers offer it... Doesn't seem right to me...

I received the monitor!
I havent tested gaming out. I am having a problem getting 1:1 to work. I realized that 1:1 is a term and not a setting. I am unsure where to set that and how to make it go properly. Anyone help there?

You need to change the expansion mode in the OSD, however it won't let you change this if you are in the native resolution, probably because all the modes look exactly the same at the native res.

Anybody checked about an EXTENDED WARRANTY? I know some on-line dealers are offering it. I talked to Planar and the guy said for this particular product there is NO EXTENDED WARRANTY AVAILABLE...

So I wonder why would some dealers offer it... Doesn't seem right to me...

I think the extended warranty goes through another company.

Thanks, but here are some thoughts...

The price is dropping, newegg doesnt carry it anymore.

I think it is being discontinued. being a salesman, these are the signs.

...here are some thoughts...

The price is dropping, newegg doesnt carry it anymore.

I think it is being discontinued. being a salesman, these are the signs.
It's only been on the market a couple of months, barely enough time to garner its first review--a rave one at that--yet you conclude it's already being discontinued because: 1) its price has fallen slightly, and 2) it can't currently be found on Newegg's site? That supposition seems wildly and unsupportedly speculative to me, especially in light of Planar's stodgy pace for new product introductions.

I am really hoping that isnt true. but something to consider looking for. yeah, im going to ask for a 40 dollar price match/refund or more as this panel drops in price. I wouldnt want to but 3 days after I receive it dropping 50 bux from regular retail on CDW is harsh.

i sell things. there are many products that have 2-3 month life spans when they come from Asia. LG appliances, panasonic tvs, (small ones), lots do that.

I am hoping it isnt! If this dies im up shits creak. I am in love with this panel !

No, Newegg isn't necessarily not carrying it anymore.. It vanished from their site twice before, just to reappear several days later.. I think they just keep getting them and selling them.. Each time they put it back up, they sold out in 2 days.

I ordered mine from NewEgg but the shipping label says ingram micro, so maybe they had to pass their orders onto someone else?

Anyway I've had it for a few days and it's not perfect but it's nice. I have a dell 2405 sitting right next to it. Biggest issue is that it doesn't do black very well, but other than that it looks great, no input lag either.

I am really hoping that isnt true. but something to consider looking for. yeah, im going to ask for a 40 dollar price match/refund or more as this panel drops in price. I wouldnt want to but 3 days after I receive it dropping 50 bux from regular retail on CDW is harsh.

i sell things. there are many products that have 2-3 month life spans when they come from Asia. LG appliances, panasonic tvs, (small ones), lots do that.

I am hoping it isnt! If this dies im up shits creak. I am in love with this panel !

Personally, I hope the price on this drops through the floor. Then the next one I buy will be even better and cheaper.

I ordered mine from NewEgg but the shipping label says ingram micro, so maybe they had to pass their orders onto someone else?

I work for a major planar reseller .com and can explain the above quote.
For large ecommerce sites, there are two models of how to operate. The first is to have a warehouse and stock your own products bought directly from the manufacturer. The second is to not stock anything and do what called "drop shipping". The company i work for does both depending on the product and other variables. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches.

Newegg does this as well. The companies: Ingram Micro, Techdata, and Synnex are the largest distributors of computer equipment in the world. They do not sell to consumers, but only to businesses.
By drop shipping items, you just cut a PO from your company to Ingram Micro and they ship it directly to the customer. Sometimes the company will take an extra step to have it shipped to them first, but thats rare. Some customers have it setup so the distributors put their own label on the product so its invisible to the consumer.

These companies supply most major computer reseller .coms that do any kind of volume. The ones i mentioned are very reputable and mainstream. This is actually very common and nothing to be concerned about.

??? Why is the last message dated by August 2nd???

The only guess I can come up with, is the ugly stuff that was going on here for a few days (and then this thread wen into a sleep), that was deleted by the moderator....

There was a problem with the server and they had to bring the forums back up on an older backup, thus the last several pages of this thread were lost. No mod on any respectable forum would delete posts.

the planar 26 has one stuck red Subpixel. It is small, only noticable on pure black with no movement, images, etc.

I kept it because the 2nd one CDW sent me had terrible patches of bleed.

It also had something new! It had a gold sunburst eminating from the right lower corner that some would say is backlight bleed, but it had a colour. that is unique.

sent that hunk of shit back. Apparently, you need to send things back and forth to get a good planar 26

However, nothing exists that is better, so might as well do the gamble for a couple of weeks witha good company like CDW.

the discount places would screw you.

My backlight, on the first, the one I am keeping, is very even, the black is very uniform with only a tiny area up top left near center that is mildly fuzzed white at certain angles in darkness. in general, thats less bleeding than most. the rest of the glow comes from it being an IPS panel without a polarizer.

colours are awesome, movies are phenomenal. game playing beats the pants off of anything talked about in these forums. so, why not?

contrast viewing angles suck, colour viewing angles are perfect. if it is a black and white still image, you get washed out from the ips glow as it has no polarizing thing to correct the side to side dusty glow. however, who looks at black and white images from an angle that are still on a regular basis?

roll the dice. call Andres Cuadra at CDW to do it for you.

El Jefe: I know you have been looking for a monitor almost as long as I have. I would like you to comment more on what you describe as “contrast shift”. Are you talking about the same contrast shift as in a PVA panel?

Rembrandt said:
El Jefe: I know you have been looking for a monitor almost as long as I have. I would like you to comment more on what you describe as “contrast shift”. Are you talking about the same contrast shift as in a PVA panel?
He's talking about the glow that IPS panels have. The Planar doesn't have color shifting like PVA panels do.

So the lack of a polarizer is not a problem when you are just sitting in front of the monitor normally?

The only guess I can come up with, is the ugly stuff that was going on here for a few days (and then this thread wen into a sleep), that was deleted by the moderator....

It is sad to see the same old troll(s) coming back to this thread to kill it again. :rolleyes: Now they even delude themselves into thinking they are the reason the site rolled back 3 weeks! What an ego! :eek:

Back