Pixel 7 / Pixel 7 Pro / Pixel 7a

I'll probably be upgrading from my 5a to a 7a in August.

Not going to lie. I'm a little alarmed by the lack of a rear fingerprint sensor.

That, and I kind of hate the camera bar bump.

I don't understand hwy they have to keep messing with the design all the time. Once you create something people like, just leave it alone. Add more ram, more storage and a faster CPU, but don't change anything else...

I'll probably be upgrading from my 5a to a 7a in August.

Not going to lie. I'm a little alarmed by the lack of a rear fingerprint sensor.

That, and I kind of hate the camera bar bump.

I don't understand hwy they have to keep messing with the design all the time. Once you create something people like, just leave it alone. Add more ram, more storage and a faster CPU, but don't change anything else...
Maybe it's because I got a 7 pro after a whole year+ of onscreen fingerprint reader software updates, but I've never had an issue with my fingerprint reader aside from just the mental change of back of phone to front of phone.

Also I got my march update today. Haven't noticed any difference. Android Auto seems to be a tiny bit smoother but I don't know if that was the monthly update, some random android auto update, or placebo due to a random quirk of working well. It's usually AWFUL. Even with a 7 pro.

Yikes. Didn't patching end on that phone in May 2022? :eek:
Yep. It's been running well, but about time to get something new. Lord knows how many years I was running my Lumia Icon out of major support before flipping to the pixel.

Yep. It's been running well, but about time to get something new. Lord knows how many years I was running my Lumia Icon out of major support before flipping to the pixel.

Running well is not the important part. It's running without the latest security updates that is the real problem.

Jeez, at least put LineageOS on there or something. Then you'll get the latest security updates.

It's always a really bad idea to continue to use any device that is no longer being maintained with security patches. It's a ticking time bomb of malware.

Maybe it's because I got a 7 pro after a whole year+ of onscreen fingerprint reader software updates, but I've never had an issue with my fingerprint reader aside from just the mental change of back of phone to front of phone.

Also I got my march update today. Haven't noticed any difference. Android Auto seems to be a tiny bit smoother but I don't know if that was the monthly update, some random android auto update, or placebo due to a random quirk of working well. It's usually AWFUL. Even with a 7 pro.

I've never had issues with Android Auto on my Pixel 5a or the Pixel 3 I used before it. They've generally just worked.

I wonder if the issue is on the car side.

I'm on the quarterly beta which just came out yesterday.

One immediate noticeable improvement is the display looks a lot more vibrant. Truly like an OLED.

I've never been a fan of curved screens on phones, but must admit my 7 Pro's curved screen hasn't caused me any problems. I still wish the Pro models had a flat screen, of course. However, if I don't get the 8 Pro, it won't be because it has a curved screen.

Now all they need to do is design the whole profile of the phone so that it won't slide off every single surface that isn't level.

But how will they include the slick glass back then? I kid, but the LG V10 had the best design ever. Stainless side rails and a rubberized grip panel back (w/ removable battery).

I just want something basic and affordable but functional, like my Nexus 5 was.

I don't need any fancy features or any AI, as long as the thing is fast enough to browse webpages and read and write emails. That's really all I do on my phone.

I would like a 3.5mm audio jack, a microSD card slot for added storage and (one can dream) a battery that can be popped in and out on the fly....

It just pisses me off that as time goes on I have to pay more and more for devices I like less and less.

A decade or more ago I used to say "I want my phone to be more like my computer, NOT my computer to be more like my phone" and that's all gone to shit now, with computer OS:ea becoming more and more phone like.

I absolutely hate the way tech has developed over the last 15 years. Tech is literally my only real hobby these days, and I hate almost every single development in tech since ~2007.

I understand the $349 price point is no longer possible due to inflation, but even with inflation that's only $449 today.

Why should I have to pay more than $449 for a decent, functional phone?

It's all bullshit. I hate everything.

I've been using a Pixel 7 for a few days. Is it just me or is the battery on this thing terrible? I have to turn off the 90Hz screen and use LTE only just to make it through the day without turning battery saver on. I never had that problem with the 6a I replaced.

I also moved from a Verizon MVNO to T-mobile. Not sure if something with T-mobile's network is more battery intensive or not.

Shouldn't be the network, and I almost never need to charge during the day. Are you gaming / gambling or something?

My 7 Pro's battery life has been dreadful since the March update.

Well, I've had 14 minutes of SoT and I went from 100 to 77% battery in 6 hours all on Wifi. Like I said, I never had that kind of issue with my 6a.

Oof, 23% in 14 minutes? Yeah, there is something wrong with that phone (imho/ymmv).

I've been using a Pixel 7 for a few days. Is it just me or is the battery on this thing terrible? I have to turn off the 90Hz screen and use LTE only just to make it through the day without turning battery saver on. I never had that problem with the 6a I replaced.

I also moved from a Verizon MVNO to T-mobile. Not sure if something with T-mobile's network is more battery intensive or not.
Battery is usually terrible the first few days as it slowly transfers over all of your text messages and background data. After a few days it should be better.
If its not, then i'd start worrying.

Battery is usually terrible the first few days as it slowly transfers over all of your text messages and background data. After a few days it should be better.
If its not, then i'd start worrying.

I'm hoping that's the case. My wife's phone had 1:45 Hrs SoT and was at 73% on a Pixel 6.

I'm using a 2 XL I bought a few years ago, honestly the phone still runs great but it has had no updates since 2020. I saw that Google is offering a $320 credit for Pixel 5, and I saw a great deal on a refurb P5 on ebay which I can use.

How big of an upgrade will this be? I'm considering it because its a decent price (about what I paid for the 2XL) and will get me a new phone with new Android updates. But from what I read the rear fp sensor (in the 2 and 5) is still unmatched. Another thing I'm concerned about is modems - P6/7 have Exynos modems and not Qualcomm. Also the camera in Pixel IMO is all about software magic, I'm not sure if there will be a huge difference. And I will be losing the unlimited photo storage.

Thoughts?

I'm using a 2 XL I bought a few years ago, honestly the phone still runs great but it has had no updates since 2020. I saw that Google is offering a $320 credit for Pixel 5, and I saw a great deal on a refurb P5 on ebay which I can use.

How big of an upgrade will this be? I'm considering it because its a decent price (about what I paid for the 2XL) and will get me a new phone with new Android updates. But from what I read the rear fp sensor (in the 2 and 5) is still unmatched. Another thing I'm concerned about is modems - P6/7 have Exynos modems and not Qualcomm. Also the camera in Pixel IMO is all about software magic, I'm not sure if there will be a huge difference. And I will be losing the unlimited photo storage.

Thoughts?
It's a big upgrade in a smaller form factor. The 5 is the last Pixel with the superb back-mounted fingerprint scanner. I'd jump on that deal, mate!

It's a big upgrade in a smaller form factor. The 5 is the last Pixel with the superb back-mounted fingerprint scanner. I'd jump on that deal, mate!

Another option is just to get the refurb Pixel 5 (for ~$130) and keep that !! I'm sure it will be a decent upgrade and it will still get Android 14 this year at least. How big is an upgrade from P5->P7 (not counting size, I don't mind larger screen) ? Is it worth the $160 for upgrade to P7?

I stopped rooting/using custom rom when I got my Pixel. But I see Pixels are still very well supported on XDA. Do people here still root?

The Pixel 5 is my favorite one so far and I've had everyone since the OG except the four. The battery life was great and it still had the fingerprint sensor all in a small package.

Another option is just to get the refurb Pixel 5 (for ~$130) and keep that !! I'm sure it will be a decent upgrade and it will still get Android 14 this year at least. How big is an upgrade from P5->P7 (not counting size, I don't mind larger screen) ? Is it worth the $160 for upgrade to P7?

I stopped rooting/using custom rom when I got my Pixel. But I see Pixels are still very well supported on XDA. Do people here still root?

It is probably worth it especially if you don't mind the extra size. The pixel 7 has face unlock so the fingerprint sensor isn't as big of a deal and it seems to work somewhat better than the six.

I haven't rooted in years.

Have not messed with the 5 at all, but the 7 is a decent upgrade from the OnePlus 6t that I had, no complaints at all.

It is probably worth it especially if you don't mind the extra size. The pixel 7 has face unlock so the fingerprint sensor isn't as big of a deal and it seems to work somewhat better than the six.

I haven't rooted in years.
no, I like the extra size, honestly would've like the 7 Pro but it costs too much.

do you keep 'always on display' on? I had to turn it off as it was causing about 15-20% more battery drain over a day. Without the AOD do you need to hit power button and then use the front screen fp sensor (since I'm guessing it needs the screen to be on), same with face unlock? One of the things I love about my 2XL is the screen can be off and I just touch the rear sensor, its on home screeen - I don't even see the lock screen.

no, I like the extra size, honestly would've like the 7 Pro but it costs too much.

do you keep 'always on display' on? I had to turn it off as it was causing about 15-20% more battery drain over a day. Without the AOD do you need to hit power button and then use the front screen fp sensor (since I'm guessing it needs the screen to be on), same with face unlock? One of the things I love about my 2XL is the screen can be off and I just touch the rear sensor, its on home screeen - I don't even see the lock screen.

No I don't have always on display on. Usually the screen comes on when you move the phone or tap the screen worst case you hit the power button.

I went from a Pixel 2 to a Pixel 4a, not that big of a jump. Still noticeable, but only needed because my Pixel 2's battery was about to explode.

I went from the 4a to a Pixel 7 pro and there was a massive and immediately noticeable performance improvement in pretty much every single possible metric.

Why did Google remove the IR camera + face unlock they had in Pixel 4? It seems it was as good or better than FaceID? Is it just the usual Google indecision?

Why did Google remove the IR camera + face unlock they had in Pixel 4? It seems it was as good or better than FaceID? Is it just the usual Google indecision?
I think the reason that they cited was that it required too much power. I think it's because more people bought the 4a and 5a over the entire 4 and 5 line....I claim with absolutely no proof.

And I need to be up to date on security for work stuff.

Honestly, everyo9ne should be. The second your phone, OS, IoT, or really anything connected to the Internet goes EOL and is no longer patched, it should be unplugged from any network and never used again.

Doing anyhting other than that is just plain irresponsible, even just for casual use.

Well, I haven't use the front ones yet, so I will reserve judgment for now, but I have come to really like the fluidity of the rear indented finger print sensor. I thought it was one of the biggest positive features of Googles phones. Once you get used to it, as you grab your phone from your pocket your finger just homes in on the fingerprint reader, and by the time you have the phone in a visible position, it is already unlocked.

I suspect the front fingerprint sensor could never be that efficient, but again, I will reserve judgment until I actually use one.

Generally my philosophy is that user interfaces should never change, but if they do it should be evolutionary. Think Windows 95 -> Windows 98 -> Windows XP -> Windows Vista -> Windows 7 as a good trend in this regard.

Developers and designers should learn to never change anything about user interfaces that necessitates a change in muscle memory of their users. Once designed, it should remain fixed in perpetuity (so design it well the first time around)

I still use Nova launcher to get a more constant UI on my launcher. Despite having nothing but Pixel phones since the first Pixel came out, I have never once used the Google Assistant or voice commands. (at least not on purpose, I may have accidentally triggered it once or twice) I don't see myself ever desiring to talk to my phone, or use any AI features what so ever.

I also still use the three navigation buttons on the bottom. I refuse to adapt to gestures.

Screenshot_20230406-132252~2.png

I still miss the classic Office menu we haven't seen sine 2003. It's a WAY better design than the stupid ribbon.

Braking user muscle memory and making things new, just for trends or fashion oor for the sake of making things new is the number one cardinal sin of UI design, IMHO.

I have four demands when I buy a new phone (or device of any kind)

1.) No bloat. Let me opt out of and/or uninstall absolutely everything
2.) No cloud or sync of any kind. Never connect to the internet without being manually requested by the user.
3.) No AI features
4.) Don't change the user interface
5.) Make all new features optional, and opt in, never opt out.
6.) No data collection.

And I want my rear fingerprint sensor, damnit!

I agree, out of date devices should be considered 'public', there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. And as far as Nova- I love it and used it for years, but decided to try gestures on my Pixel 6 (and now 7). The screen you get back from the nav bar is nice, and I like that it's super clean since there are no buttons on screen.

Back