Pixel 4

Weird, none of his videos ever have popped up as recommended for me on YouTube when browsing various tech reviews.

He released a video today on the Pixel 4 XL that he describes as a 3 - 4 day overview.
Google Pixel 4 XL | A few days later!

His full review of the Pixel 4 XL is yet to be released. If asked, I would describe him as being someone that listens to the beat of his own drums, not influenced by popular opinion.

Last edited:
The only review that matters:

Eh, I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again - MKBHD's reviews don't feel as authentic as they did even just a year or two ago. I'm also going to take his review of any Pixel phone with massive reservation as he's just shy of a self-proclaimed Pixel fanboy.

I looked more into other reviews and overall its a good phone with two common cruxes across almost all of them; battery life and price. After the phone goes on the Black Friday sales the latter won't be an issue anymore and if you're ok with mediocre battery life then this phone is a solid contender.

Man, I'm almost tempted to cancel my pre order, and God forbid pick up an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Edit:. too late, just checked my shipping date, which originally stated next week, now shows delivery on its way tomorrow.

Last edited:
Man, I'm almost tempted to cancel my pre order, and God forbid pick up an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Edit:. too late, just checked my shipping date, which originally stated next week, now shows delivery on its way tomorrow.
Take that as a sign that you and an iOS device are just not meant to be. ;)

Why would I trust MKB when he claims that the Razer Phone has amazing battery life?

Looks like the overall camera package advantage the Pixel held is swaying to the iPhone.

CE02D4CF-7933-4236-B4C1-312504621635.png

Looks like the overall camera package advantage the Pixel held is swaying to the iPhone.

I can't say that I've cared too much for more 'reach' on a phone -- perhaps I just haven't bothered to consider the option -- but wide?

Yeah, I want wide.

And I want battery life.

I find myself considering how much of my soul I'm willing to sacrifice to pick up an iPhone 11 Pro. Hearing my wife say 'I told you so' is going to be the hardest part...

View attachment 194509
I’d say they’re even BUT since the iPhone 11 Pro has both telephoto and wide angle I’d give it the edge in photography due to versatility. When it comes to video recording though, iPhone still wipes the floor with the Pixel.

Wonder if Google will cave next year and add the wide angle lens to the Pixel 5 since nearly everyone loves and wants it. They really fucked up this year by basically telling their consumers at the reveal that while we know you like ultrawide, WE think telephoto is more useful and our opinion trumps yours.

Last edited:
Wonder if Google will cave next year and add the wide angle lens to the Pixel 5 since nearly everyone loves and wants it. They really fucked up this year by basically telling their consumers at the reveal that while we know you like ultrawide, WE think telephoto is more useful and our opinion trumps yours.
And that's really the problem. Google is trying to be Apple in the worst ways.

I'm imagining if Google instead had the hindsight to not waste time/money developing face recognition tech, adding 90Hz, and simply updated the SoC, 6GB RAM, and a bigger battery, say 3400mAH on the smaller Pixel 4.
Not even updated optics - just a single camera. Launched it at $449. You still get the dual exposure control and Live HDR from the updated SoC of course.

Oh wait, I'm talking about the Pixel 4a lmao.

Congrats on the Pixel! I`d suggest refraining from anymore reviews and just focus on enjoying your new device!

I'm imagining if Google instead had the hindsight to not waste time/money developing face recognition tech, adding 90Hz, and simply updated the SoC, 6GB RAM, and a bigger battery, say 3400mAH on the smaller Pixel 4.
Not even updated optics - just a single camera. Launched it at $449. You still get the dual exposure control and Live HDR from the updated SoC of course.

just buy a one plus 7t if you need a phone.

Y’all who says that you’re getting the Pixel 4 over the OnePlus 7T because of camera, well, DxOMark just reviewed the Pixel 4 and declared the OnePlus 7T the winner. Cue the excuses...

https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-4-camera-review/

Excuses include the following:
  • My feelings are more accurate than standardized scientific tests and measurements.
  • I hear someone else with similar feelings.
  • I spent more money on this so it must be better.
  • Something something China that has nothing to do with camera quality.
  • And moar...

Last edited:
Y’all who says that you’re getting the Pixel 4 over the OnePlus 7T because of camera, well, DxOMark just reviewed the Pixel 4 and declared the OnePlus 7T the winner. Cue the excuses...

Holy crap. DXO says the One plus 7t is a better camera!! I better cancel my pre-order immediately and make an appointment with the optometrist because clearly my eyeballs are messed up. Thank you so much!

Sounds like my next phone! Honestly, the Pixel 3A is pretty much all the phone I need at this point in my life. I get the regular updates, better battery life than the flagship, and half the price.

The 4A would definitely be on my shortlist of upgrades.

Excuses include the following:
  • My feelings are more accurate than standardized scientific tests and measurements.
  • I hear someone else with similar feelings.
  • I spent more money on this so it must be better.
  • Something something China that has nothing to do with camera quality.
  • And moar...

Later today I'll find out for myself. I have the OP7P to use for comparison purposes. Instead the review and the reason the score wasn't as high was because of the lack of a wide angle camera lense. It scored what it did without a third lense, that in itself is a good thing.

First impressions, from my Pixel 3 XL, this 4 XL, feels WAY nicer in the hand, build quality seems like a big step up. The white back has a nice matte finish, and the black sides, just look so cool. But the feel in hand, it's hard to describe, just a nicer phone to hold.

Quick impressions; the display seems sharper, and prettier, and looks a bit higher quality, and better than my Pixel 3 XL's. Also scrolling around websites, and the Settings menu, etc...really does feel smooth as butter. This screen seems brighter than my 3 XL, I know it's no iPhone 11 pro or Galaxy S10 bright, but seems bright next to my 3 XL.

Face unlock is cooler than I expected, just so natural and FAST. Pick up the phone and almost before you look at it, your in your homescreen immediately.

Haptics feel a little punchier, heavier, like a improvement in the vibration engine.

I like that the 4 XL is narrower in width, feels easier to use.

I will say the new Assistant seems WAY faster, than on my 3 XL. Just saying "hey Google, what's the weather tonight?" comes up immediately in 1/10th a second on the 4 XL, where the 3 XL it does take a second. It's not night and day, but is noticeable, and seems immediate on the 4 XL. using the Assistant now just feels instant, it's there right away, zero pause, not waiting even one second.

Sounds like local processing is a big improvement then. I hope it's more stable too. A lot of the assistant features ran on server side and randomly stopped working for oftentimes. I stopped using Reminders altogether because it just kept being unreliable.

First impressions, from my Pixel 3 XL, this 4 XL, feels WAY nicer in the hand, build quality seems like a big step up. The white back has a nice matte finish, and the black sides, just look so cool. But the feel in hand, it's hard to describe, just a nicer phone to hold.

Quick impressions; the display seems sharper, and prettier, and looks a bit higher quality, and better than my Pixel 3 XL's. Also scrolling around websites, and the Settings menu, etc...really does feel smooth as butter. This screen seems brighter than my 3 XL, I know it's no iPhone 11 pro or Galaxy S10 bright, but seems bright next to my 3 XL.

Face unlock is cooler than I expected, just so natural and FAST. Pick up the phone and almost before you look at it, your in your homescreen immediately.

Haptics feel a little punchier, heavier, like a improvement in the vibration engine.

I like that the 4 XL is narrower in width, feels easier to use.
I hate you!! Now, you've got me thinking about buying one. :banghead::ROFLMAO:

Reviews have said face unlock works even with eyes closed. That seems risky. Have you tried it?

I learned my lesson last year. No sense in buying now. At least wait until Black Friday to see what kind of deals they offer. I felt like they burned the early adopters pretty hard last time around.
Yeah, I got my 3XL for $200 off during BF, last year. If I buy, it'll be during BF, fo' sho'.

I can't wait to try all these features next year with Google's new and totally original focus on battery life (and here's an ultrawide lens too!).

I can't wait to try all these features next year with Google's new and totally original focus on battery life (and here's an ultrawide lens too!).
What color are the clouds in your little world? Mine are white and puffy with blue highlights. Lots of floating happy care bears, too. Can't wait to take pictures of them with my 5XL's ultrawide lens and 2+ day battery!!! :ROFLMAO:

Face unlock is sweet

Feel in hand is great, best build quality for a Pixel

Battery life so far, after just 7 hours of having the phone, is actually not bad and I've been on this phone a lot so far. It seems better then my 3 XL, but way too early to judge.

Haptic feedback feels stronger

The forehead is totally fine, and I was worried would look dated ugly, but I don't even see it, it looks totally normal. And looking at my 3 XL now, wow that notch really sticks out.

Face unlock is sweet

Feel in hand is great, best build quality for a Pixel

Battery life so far, after just 7 hours of having the phone, is actually not bad and I've been on this phone a lot so far. It seems better then my 3 XL, but way too early to judge.

Haptic feedback feels stronger

The forehead is totally fine, and I was worried would look dated ugly, but I don't even see it, it looks totally normal. And looking at my 3 XL now, wow that notch really sticks out.
You're really becoming my least favorite person in the smart phone thread. I'm now bookmarking the 4XL to see what black Friday discounts are coming. :ROFLMAO:

Well, I just got my Pixel 4 XL.

So far, I am happy when the my decision. It feels nice in the hand and I live not having a notch again.

The speakers don't vibrate the rear panel of the phone as much as the Pixel 3, don't vibrate the screen As much as the Pixel 2 and seem to sound clear, especially for voices.

I haven't really had a chance to see much with the cameras, but I'm most excited for the live preview of the HDR effects and how you can change shadow and white point levels on the fly to tweak a photo that isn't turning out the way you want with auto settings.

There may be downsides to this phone, but so far it seems ok to me. I have fewer complaints about this phone than any previous Pixel phone, you can feel and see Google learning from their previous hardware blunders and you can literally see design decisions that were made to correct complaints about previous Pixel phones....

This is the first Pixel phone EVER that VOLTE and RCS messaging work in day one (my carrier is Rogers). It has been anywhere from weeks to months after release to get these carrier features on new Pixel devices. I think the original Pixel was 5 or 6 months after release to get VOLTE...

So, its DxO drawing the attention, is it? View the first 8 minutes.

Last edited:
DxOMark is garbage. They try to assign quantitative, objective scores to subjective tests. I’ve noticed inconsistencies in their scoring when looking at their evaluations side by side.

That being said though, it is funny seeing Pixel fanboys getting triggered (not here necessarily) that their pride and joy phone is no longer the king of smartphone photography. But good news is that no matter what flagship you get in 2019 you’re going to get a camera with it that will take stunning photos. It’s just too bad that at $799/$899 Google gives you a flagship that doesn’t have an ultrawide lens that’s in pretty high demand while basically every other flagship does.

Early battery results. Keep in mind this is all in WiFi, no SIM in yet, but I was not in Airplane mode at all, so that could still drain a little?

Battery is at 55%
Last full charge 9 hours ago
Screen Usage since full charge 4h 12min

Amazon already offering a $100 gift card with the purchase of a Pixel 4 (and XL).

Back