Pixel 4

I think Verizon may soon be offering buy one, get the other for $400 or something.

Early battery results. Keep in mind this is all in WiFi, no SIM in yet, but I was not in Airplane mode at all, so that could still drain a little?

Battery is at 55%
Last full charge 9 hours ago
Screen Usage since full charge 4h 12min
The XL does have a more reasonable 3700mah battery.

Some users have noticed that below 75% brightness the 90Hz is turned off unless you force it.

I think Verizon may soon be offering buy one, get the other for $400 or something.

verizon already has 2 deals where you get 450 for trading in a phone or the buy one get the second one credited to your account with a new 2 year contract crap.

The XL does have a more reasonable 3700mah battery.

Some users have noticed that below 75% brightness the 90Hz is turned off unless you force it.

Yeah, saw that too and it doesn't make sense whatsoever; "the display consumes the most power of any other component on the phone, so lets only enable this additional power sucking feature while you're near max brightness to kill the battery at the fastest rate possible." :rolleyes:

Amazon already offering a $100 gift card with the purchase of a Pixel 4 (and XL).

Got a Pixel 4 XL 128GB Unlocked from Best Buy. Had a 10% off coupon for my birthday + $100 GC so I felt like that was a pretty good price for it.

Yeah, saw that too and it doesn't make sense whatsoever; "the display consumes the most power of any other component on the phone, so lets only enable this additional power sucking feature while you're near max brightness to kill the battery at the fastest rate possible." :rolleyes:

That's because 90% of the day most users probably don't go above 50% brightness. So doing this trick gives them better 90hz battery life than they should have.

Based on Lau's past comments, I don't think OnePlus is releasing a smaller phone anytime soon. And since I have no desire to own a phablet, OnePlus has been off my radar for a while.
Early battery results. Keep in mind this is all in WiFi, no SIM in yet, but I was not in Airplane mode at all, so that could still drain a little?

Battery is at 55%
Last full charge 9 hours ago
Screen Usage since full charge 4h 12min

thats similar to the pixel 3 / XL

This pixel 4 phone has way too many caveats

I still want my headphone jack back. And bigger battery and a wide-angle camera. And great video, perhaps with the option for 10-bit log out to a USB stick or SSD.

I mean, why not innovate, right?

Looks to be a solid phone from Google just a few head scratcher decisions prevent it from being the best of the best. I am to exciting to see them to a 4a type phone.

One take away, the forehead on the 4 XL, is way better than the 3 XL notch. Living with a notch for one year I thought my brain just let it fade away. But now when I go back to the 3XL it's immediately apparent and very distracting and ugly.

So as far as design and build quality the Pixel 4XL seems like a much improved phone compared to the pixel 3 XL in that department.

I got my Pixel 4 yesterday and today spent all day testing the batter at 80% brightness to keep smooth display on with a mix of cellular and WiFi and I'm currently at 11% battery life with 5 hours and 23 minutes SoT. When I got 3% I'm screen shotting all the battery stats and I'll post them. If I can make it to six hours it's not too far from my OP7P with higher than regular usage.

I got my Pixel 4 yesterday and today spent all day testing the batter at 80% brightness to keep smooth display on with a mix of cellular and WiFi and I'm currently at 11% battery life with 5 hours and 23 minutes SoT. When I got 3% I'm screen shotting all the battery stats and I'll post them. If I can make it to six hours it's not too far from my OP7P with higher than regular usage.

5 1/2 hours screen on time for the smaller pixel? That's actually surprisingly pretty decent. Too bad the camera sucks compared to the OP7P. (and don't try to say otherwise because your eyes are wrong. DXO has spoken and that's like, pure science man. Clearly there's no subjectivity involved in judging a picture.... just math.)

That's amazing battery life out of the 2,800mAh battery on the 4.

5 hours and 47 minutes SoT I pushed the last 8% a little to speed up the process. This is with a mix of cellular and WiFi, screen brightness at 80% and a more than my average day to day usage.

SoT picture
Battery usage 1/2
Battery usage 2/2

Next I'm going to tune down the brightness and force 90hz all the time to see what the results are.

So far after day one, I find the battery life is better than my Pixel 3 XL.

I'm almost positive that all of the predicted battery woes are a bit overblown. More battery life is always welcome but it doesn't feel like a step back. In fact I had worse battery life on my Pixel 3 XL than my 2 XL...

So far after day one, I find the battery life is better than my Pixel 3 XL.

I'm almost positive that all of the predicted battery woes are a bit overblown. More battery life is always welcome but it doesn't feel like a step back. In fact I had worse battery life on my Pixel 3 XL than my 2 XL...

Completely agree, I thought my Pixel 2 XL got pretty good battery life overall, and my 3 XL felt a bit worse, certainly not better, now my Pixel 4 XL does seem better than my 3 XL battery life.

So people that own the Pixel 4, are you running force 90hz option from Developer settings?

So people that own the Pixel 4, are you running force 90hz option from Developer settings?

Yesterday I ran the smooth display through turning the brightness up to 80% or higher.

Today I'm testing it with adaptive brightness and forced 90hz.

The 4 XL has a larger batter than the 3 XL so beating that isn't astounding (although a pleasant surprise that the 90Hz and Soli doesn't consume too much power). It does seem to be getting similar battery as what I got with my 2 XL though so that's actually quite good.

The teardown for the Pixel 4 shows that Soli is a tiny tiny chip though. Google really ought to have sprung for a 4000mah battery like the 11 Pro Max and thus silenced criticisms of cutting corners.

A nice thing on my 4XL the display the colors are definitely deeper and punchier like a high-end OLED TV, black blacks, and deep reds and greens. And the whites seem white, not yellowish white.

Definitely a better display than the 3 XL

But it doesn't get super bright like other phones.

5 1/2 hours screen on time for the smaller pixel? That's actually surprisingly pretty decent. Too bad the camera sucks compared to the OP7P. (and don't try to say otherwise because your eyes are wrong. DXO has spoken and that's like, pure science man. Clearly there's no subjectivity involved in judging a picture.... just math.)
By what standards? That's subpar. I can get about 10h SOT out of my P30.

By the standards of other phones with comparable battery sizes. Also 5 hours on screen time will probably get 80-85% of the general population through their day without a problem. Maybe even more. Phone geeks and enthusiasts do not reflect the norm as far as usage is concerned.

Getting back on track. Picked up my 128gb white XL 4 today. Like others have stated, the phone feels great in hand and I hope everyone adopts Matte finishes in the future. It just makes more sense from a finger print standpoint.

Also, 90hz really is a thing. It feels lovely to use and I don't think I'll want to go back. For those who think it's a gimmick, try it out first. I'm going to probably force 90 hz on all the time and see if I can get through the day without any issues. If so, I may just keep it on all the time.

I'm forcing 90hz always, it's too good not to. If I need to charge more, so be it, I have the Pixel stand, and plenty of chargers.

seriously... my regular iPhone 11 currently has 45% battery life left and 8 hr 28 min SOT. 5 hr SOT is not good at all. Considering iPhone’s popularity, 80%-85% or whatever statistics Johnny is spouting for thinking 5 hr SOT is adequate is quite simply not based on reality.

Attacking DxOMark for having comprehensive tests is also kind of ridiculous. I’ll take their comprehensive test over your objective opinions any day. No one is saying Pixel 4 camera is bad; it’s one of the top cameras. We are just also recognizing that OnePlus’s camera is actually pretty good too and that, if you’re making a decision of OnePlus 7 Pro/7T vs Pixel 4 based on camera, OnePlus is slightly better on rear camera but worse on front facing camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tup3x
like this
Is it actually variable refresh rate like gsync, or are people simply calling it variable refresh rate because it's 60 or 90hz?

Is it actually variable refresh rate like gsync, or are people simply calling it variable refresh rate because it's 60 or 90hz?

No one is calling it VRR, including Google. It only switches between 60 and 90 Hz and nowhere outside of those values.

Anyways, most flagship phones get around 5-7 hours SoT these day across a normal 18 hour day (claiming 10 hours SoT in a 12 hour period isn't really valid) from what I've observed. So if the Pixels can get at least 5 on average, then that's acceptable to me, but just barely. But most reviews I've seen so far put the smaller 4 at 3-5 hours SoT and the XL at 5-6 hours SoT. I'm guessing most of these reviews use at least a moderate amount of camera usage too, which uses a lot of juice esp. for video recording.

I wouldn't think using 90 Hz would hurt the battery that much over 60 Hz. Usually the CPU ramps up to max clocks while scrolling and stuff anyways, so unless it's more GPU dependent or the panel actually draws more when operating at 90 Hz, then I wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference.

Good to know. I saw a few reviews that said "variable refresh rate", but they probably didn't realize that means something else.

His name is Jared Busch. With a talent for expression and humor, here is his objective and personal take on the Pixel 4 XL.

Last edited:
No one is calling it VRR, including Google. It only switches between 60 and 90 Hz and nowhere outside of those values.

Anyways, most flagship phones get around 5-7 hours SoT these day across a normal 18 hour day (claiming 10 hours SoT in a 12 hour period isn't really valid) from what I've observed. So if the Pixels can get at least 5 on average, then that's acceptable to me, but just barely. But most reviews I've seen so far put the smaller 4 at 3-5 hours SoT and the XL at 5-6 hours SoT. I'm guessing most of these reviews use at least a moderate amount of camera usage too, which uses a lot of juice esp. for video recording.

I wouldn't think using 90 Hz would hurt the battery that much over 60 Hz. Usually the CPU ramps up to max clocks while scrolling and stuff anyways, so unless it's more GPU dependent or the panel actually draws more when operating at 90 Hz, then I wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference.
I think it's combination of things. I noticed a decent jump in battery and when SoT running 1080p with the 90hz on. I leave it on full time and just 1080p can't tell the difference much and 90hz is way better than higher resolution. Once you go 90hz it's really hard to go back to 60

His name is Jared Busch. With a talent for expression and humor, here is his objective and personal take on the Pixel 4 XL.

While I think it's a well-produced review, I do have beefs with his battery life claims. He talks about the Pixel 4 XL having "average" battery life, but I don't think a 6.3-inch phone nearly dying by the early evening is what I'd call average (even if that involves extensive use). It's certainly not going to persuade someone who's platform-independent and knows that an iPhone 11/11 Pro will comfortably last well into the night.

My first weekend with the Pixel 4 XL, I was at 12% battery left, with 6h 53m SoT. And was off the charger a day and a half, like 35 hours.

So that's definitely better battery life than my Pixel 3 XL. It's not super great battery, but not bad either.

And that's with force 90hz on always.

So my 3 XL was averaging like 5.5h to 6h SoT before low % battery saver kicked in. My 4 XL goes to like 7h SoT before battery saver kicks in. So I'm getting a solid one hour to 90 minutes better battery life on my 4 XL. I'd say the Pixel 4 XL is a 7.5h SoT type of battery life phone. Which a few years ago, that'd be amazing battery life, but today that's just good.

Last edited:
Back