Pixel 4

Crazy me, I just ordered the White 64GB 4 XL

If there was an untethered stable JB for A13 iPhone's, I would pick up a 11 Pro Max. But stock iOS I just can't do. But I greatly respect the 11 Pro Max, great phone if you can deal with iOS. Otherwise I'm a stock Android guy, and the OnePlus phones are close, but just missing some important things I like.

Last edited:

If there was an untethered stable JB for A13 iPhone's, I would pick up a 11 Pro Max. But stock iOS I just can't do. But I greatly respect the 11 Pro Max, great phone if you can deal with iOS. Otherwise I'm a stock Android guy, and the OnePlus phones are close, but just missing some important things I like.
Crazy Z! :ROFLMAO:

I'm still considering an OP 7T, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'll just stick with my 3XL and see what phones 2020 has to offer.

I just got my 11 Pro Max from work. It's a beautiful device with the best battery life I've ever seen on a phone. No way in hell would I have dropped $1200 on it, though.

The days of stable jailbreaking are long gone, so stock iOS is it for the IPhone.

Last edited:
Out of the 25+ smartphones I've bought over the last decade +, I'd say more than half have been Nexus, Pixel, or OnePlus phones. And they the phones I've kept the longest, yes I have had the Samsung Galaxy, and HTC flagships, and iPhone's, but when I think about it, those were gone within 3 to 6 months, and the Nexus or Pixel phones, I would use for 9 to 12 months or longer. Lately it's been the Pixel 2 XL for a year, the Pixel 3 XL for a year, no other phones in between. We'll see how I like this 4 XL?

Crazy Z! :ROFLMAO:

I'm still considering an OP 7T, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'll just stick with my 3XL and see what phones 2020 has to offer.

I just got my 11 Pro Max from work. It's a beautiful device with the best battery life I've ever seen on a phone. No way in hell would I have dropped $1200 on it, though.

The days of stable jailbreaking are long gone, so stock iOS is it for the IPhone.

The iPhone 11 Pro Max I hear has some crazy great battery life. But for $1200 I can't do it. It does seem like a great phone though, and it still tempt's me.

I did have a old Google gift certificate I used, so I got my 64GB Pixel 4 XL for $850.

I would’ve waited a month to see if these will go under heavy discount like the Pixel 3s did.

I don't know if anyone has tried it, but if you subscribe to the 2TB cloud storage option with google, that gives a 10% discount on all store orders. That 10% would be roughly equal to the price of the 2TB cloud storage for the year.

I don't know if anyone has tried it, but if you subscribe to the 2TB cloud storage option with google, that gives a 10% discount on all store orders. That 10% would be roughly equal to the price of the 2TB cloud storage for the year.
Good to know. I've been a 2TB subscriber for over a year now. I'll see if that 10% discount works on my next Google store purchase.

I wouldn't say that. As recent as 12.4, there was a full jailbreak (not untethered but stop restarting your phone lmao) and any phone pre-iPhone XS are vulnerable to Checkm8 so they'll eventually all get jailbreaks.

I couldn't justify a 11 Pro Max either but the regular 11 turns out to be almost everything I'd want anyway so I'm fairly happy. The new Altstore also lets me sideload an emulator (in the future any IPA) so it's only the lack of customization I'm really missing.

Still, once the price cuts come for the Pixel 4's I'd probably consider coming back too. It's still a competent phone after all.

BTW, if you have Amazon Prime already, it actually includes unlimited full quality uploads for photos only. Pretty nice perk to supplement the non-original quality Google Photos upload.

As a [H]ardcore Nexus / Pixel guy, I was disappointed in the Pixel 4 XL. But, there's really no other phone in 2019 I like.

- iPhone 11 Pro Max is great, but I can't stand iOS, so that's a no go.
- OnePlus 7 Pro is very good, but poor camera, no IP68 rating, no wireless charging, and curved edge screens suck
- Samsung Galaxy phones, LOL, uh nope and never.

So it does seem to me the Pixel 4 XL would be the phone to get. Need to see some full reviews before final decision

I think that's the trade-off with Android. There's variety but it's hard to find the "one" phone that has everything. But from what I've experienced in the past, having a phone directly tied to the OS manufacturer is key for quick upgrades and lasting support. Went from a Note in 2016 to iPhone and the 8+ still holds up today. I'm excited to see how Google world is now. Pre-ordered a Pixel 4 XL 128gb so hopefully can test drive it to see what's changed. The trade-offs aren't deal breakers for me. The only thing that will be interesting is see how the battery holds up with the motion controls + smooth display. Hoping their software makes up for it.

Considering how the Pixel 3 had a bogo deal around Black Friday last year I dunno why anyone wouldn’t wait to get a Pixel 4

Hilarious coming right after that post and how much you've been shitting on it this whole thread.. guess not too crazy though considering you blindly bought the 3 XL at launch in the first place and this is clearly a far better upgrade than that phone was to the 2 XL.

Unless you need the moderately better camera and don't care about having a wide-angle lens, at this point I'm not sure why anyone would buy this over a OP 7T or 7T Pro. OP delivered Android 10 to current and previous phones like a month after it launched and seems to keep up with security patches pretty well too, so Pixels don't have that much, if any software advantage considering the other features OP has over the Pixels too. But like I said before, I'm waiting on reviews before I completely decide on this phone or not.

Last edited:
Hilarious coming right after that post and how much you've been shitting on it this whole thread.. guess not too crazy though considering you blindly bought the 3 XL at launch in the first place and this is clearly a far better upgrade than that phone was to the 2 XL.

Unless you need the moderately better camera and don't care about having a wide-angle lens, at this point I'm not sure why anyone would buy this over a OP 7T or 7T Pro. OP delivered Android 10 to current and previous phones like a month after it launched and seems to keep up with security patches pretty well too, so Pixels don't have that much, if any software advantage considering the other features OP has over the Pixels too. But like I said before, I'm waiting on reviews before I completely decide on this phone or not.

Oh, come on T4rd. Were you really shocked? You've been reading posts by Z as long as I have. You know in the end he was going to cave and order one. He has the upgrade bug more than any of us. :D

I've spoken with a couple friends who have the 7 pro. They've both mentioned that there is a pretty noticeable battery difference when they turn the 90 hz screen off and on. Both deal with the battery hit since the phone is so much more fluid with it on however.

I'm curious as to how google's "dynamic refresh rate" will help mitigate the extra battery drain from the higher refresh rate.

At this point, I'll be the judge myself, if the phone sucks, or battery life is beef, I'll return it in my 14 day period. Good thing is though, my oldest daughter is ready for her first smartphone, and we can give her our Pixel 2 XL. Time will tell

I just ordered a Pixel 3. I went with 128GB instead of the smaller 64GB model, but I was going back and forth on which one to choose. I figured the 64gig model would probably be ok, but who knows how storage usage will change in my apps in the next few years, so I decided to go 128GB just to be on the safe side.

Just received the Pixel 3 today. In most ways it is great, but I am absolutely hating the rounded corners on the screen. I'm hoping this is some sort of overlay I can disable and go back to something nice and rectangular. It is driving me nuts.

Like a top tier camera? Not sure why OnePlus can’t get the camera figured out. It’s been their Achilles Heel since the one. It’s been improved as the price has steadily crept upwards with each release but still not in the same league as iPhone or Pixel.

So I read an article saying third party app developers will need to specifically update their apps to support the face unlock (Android 9/10 Biometric API) on the Pixel 4. It’s not the same situation like on iOS where if an app supported TouchID then it automatically supported FaceID.

Wonder what this means for apps until they get updated? Put in your password/pin each time?

EDIT: Found the article - https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-4-users-wait-developers-add-face-unlock-support/

Last edited:
Technically if they are using the proper API as of the Android 9 release, then they wouldn't need to be updated. But if they're still using the <9 API's which were Fingerprint rather than Biometric then yeah, needs an update.

This is why Google will be cracking down hard on apps to be updated to the latest API level starting with Android 10 along with requiring any new phone in 2020 to be Android 10.

Like a top tier camera? Not sure why OnePlus can’t get the camera figured out. It’s been their Achilles Heel since the one. It’s been improved as the price has steadily crept upwards with each release but still not in the same league as iPhone or Pixel.

I imagine it's because improving the camera requires some master-level camera science -- that is, the kind of researchers who push the boundaries of camera tech. Apple and Google perform an incredible number of actions on a given photo, sometimes using techniques that weren't available on phones (or cameras in general) before. Even if OnePlus can lean on Oppo for help, I wouldn't be surprised if its total camera R&D budget looks like a rounding error next to Apple's or Google's.

I imagine it's because improving the camera requires some master-level camera science -- that is, the kind of researchers who push the boundaries of camera tech. Apple and Google perform an incredible number of actions on a given photo, sometimes using techniques that weren't available on phones (or cameras in general) before. Even if OnePlus can lean on Oppo for help, I wouldn't be surprised if its total camera R&D budget looks like a rounding error next to Apple's or Google's.

I would imagine that is probably pretty close to reality

The 7t is the best phone of the year. Best balance on specs and price. 90hz oled, bright outdoors... Not much else to ask for ATM in a phone

May be a contender if you are into Android. Switched to iOS a few years back. My last Android phone was the OnePlus 5 which my son still uses.

I put a 128GB 4XL in my cart and went to the check out page. Once there, I got a notice of 10% back ($99.90), so looks like it works. I didn't complete the purchase, though. Sticking with my 3XL for now.

LOL Jon Rettinger Mr. Apple. Seems like a nice enough guy, but he carries Tim Cook's sack

Watched that video last night, yeah he makes some good points, almost like going from a ( 2017 ) iPhone X, to a ( 2018 ) iPhone XS last year. A lot of people said the upgrade wasn't that noticeable. Now the 11 Pro, I agree that's a nice upgrade, just for the battery improvement and camera upgrade over the XS.

LOL Jon Rettinger Mr. Apple. Seems like a nice enough guy, but he carries Tim Cook's sack

Watched that video last night, yeah he makes some good points, almost like going from a ( 2017 ) iPhone X, to a ( 2018 ) iPhone XS last year. A lot of people said the upgrade wasn't that noticeable. Now the 11 Pro, I agree that's a nice upgrade, just for the battery improvement and camera upgrade over the XS.
If someone can figure out how to install Android 10 on an iPhone 11 Pro Max we really would have...

The greatest smartphone ever created!!! ;)

It's a weird time to release a new phone. They literally just cleaned up the Pixel 3 experience with android 10....

I was having worse performance than my Pixel 2 XL prior to Android 10... Heck, every time I launched the camera, everything went haywire with apps closing and stutter everywhere... That seems to have settled out a bit with Android 10 and I'm having a nice experience finally...

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess though and ordered a Pixel 4 XL. I will be happy to get rid of the notch, have a telephoto camera and... Not too sure about the benefits of face unlock and the soli radar sensor yet, but I'm excited to try something new. I do like the face unlock on my work iPhone XR... I think it will be ok, hopefully Google did a good job on this since they got rid of the fingerprint sensor...

I don't like how every review site always cites the big phones as the "best". Sure they're loaded to the gills with features and screen size, but not everyone likes carrying around a 6"+ phone. Maybe if you have a desk job, or aren't on the move a whole lot then a big phone can make sense, but for those on the move, unless you have big hands, small phones are ideal; especially for point and shoot photos.

Although I was at the T-Mobile store byy house today testing both out, the 4 XL felt identical to my current phone (OP7P), while looking at the Pixel 4 (the one I'm getting) it looked tiny, almost as if the screen wasn't actually 5.7".

Like damn, is it that much of a difference between 5.7 and 6.3 inches!?!? It has me rethinking if I should get the XL instead.

Screen quality wise, even withy nose damn near touching the screen I couldn't really tell a difference quality wise with the different resolutions. In fact I put my OP7P to FHD over QHD and I haven't noticed a difference and I'm getting much better battery life.

At the end of the day if I was just fine with a 5.8" iPhone x that had less screen real estate than a 5.5" iPhone 7 Plus, then I should be just fine with a 5.7" notch-less display.

Can't wait for the official reviews tomorrow. Until then this phone is getting sh!t on like the worst smartphone ever.

Making me second guess my preorder. I just want better battery life then my Pixel 3 XL #1.

I know the iPhone 11 Pro Max is King of battery, and I'm almost tempted, but I just know my dislike of iOS will maybe make me regret getting the iPhone.

While I agree he seems like a cool dude I have completely disagreed with Rettinger enough times after buying a phone that I stopped caring what he thinks. I remember when he said the LG G3 had amazing battery life. That thing ended up having pretty crappy battery life.

All that said I don't have crazy expectations for this phone. I just need it to have decent battery life. Early indications seem to point to something like 5.5 or 6 hours on screen time. Certainly not amazing but not terrible either. I can live with that because I will thoroughly enjoy all the other aspects of the phone, (incredibly smooth blazing fast experience, best android camera on the market, software as Google intended it, and a phone that still feels incredibly fast many months down the road).

There's no perfect out there. Give me ANY phone and I can easily find an aspect to shit on if I want to.

Can't wait for the official reviews tomorrow. Until then this phone is getting sh!t on like the worst smartphone ever.

Making me second guess my preorder. I just want better battery life then my Pixel 3 XL #1.

I know the iPhone 11 Pro Max is King of battery, and I'm almost tempted, but I just know my dislike of iOS will maybe make me regret getting the iPhone.

I've been a hardcore Android user since day one. I jumped to T Mobile just to get the N1 lol. Rooted it and loved it. Nexus devices or HTC after and always rooted. Pixel came out and I only had XL's. Funny thing. After I got my Pixel XL I stopped rooting. The original XL was perfect. Pixel 2 came out I jumped to the 2XL. The 3 I passed. I debated on waiting for the 4. Sadly I played with a Note 10 plus and fell in love with the screen plus the massive amount of storage. I hated Samsung phones in the past. They all felt cheap. The Note I loved. After getting it P4 leaks were dropping like crazy. I kinda regret not waiting... Now that it's here, I'm pretty indifferent. I'm really thinking the P5 will get me back. I'm skipping the 4 I kept my 2XL because I couldn't let it go. It's my favorite. The blue screen issues were overblown IMO. Either way I'll most likely end up rooting the Note 10 plus and keep it till next October. If you like the 3 hold out as long as you can. Price drops are around the corner literally end of Nov.

I'm thinking 2020 is going to bring some cool stuff for phones.

Last edited:
Pixel delivers in one way, which is the software experience and security updates. It really ensures that the phone has a finite lifespan of whenever they drop support. Not a single android oem comes close to that.

Everything else is a hodge podge of buzz word hardware specs, that doesnt make much sense. Really high refresh rate thats going to chug electrons....really tiny battery improvement over the 3. Dont see the practicality in those decisions.

If the battery was sizeable, this be THE PHONE to get or beat.

The display supports up to 90hz. Google has stated they did system level modifications so that the display only does 90hz when it's needed.

As I said on Reddit this morning I think the small battery is being overblown. Just to see what FHD+ would sorta look like I switched my OP7P resolution from QHD to FHD and I've actually noticed a pretty good uptick in battery life, roughly 2 hours plus of SoT over QHD, both with 90hz enabled and both with 50% minimum screen brightness. Higher resolutions suck up a lot of battery.

I'm starting to believe that with a smaller physical screen, a slightly lower resolution than the OP7P's FHD resolution, full system dark mode, newer OLED, newer and more power efficient SoC, and adaptive battery I'll probably easily hit my sweet spot of 3.5-4 hours SoT, while not having to charge my phone until bed time. I don't see how people can spend more than that looking at their phone, but to each their own.

Have always looked forward to Flossy Carter reviews.

1.png
2.png

Last edited:
"Welcome to the party Verizon, you're finally not assed out."

What are you smoking Floss? Verizon has been the only provider that's always had access to the Pixel line.

You're correct that Verizon has always been the only provider that had access to the Pixel line, however
he did not say "Welcome to the party Verizon, you're finally not assed out".

What he said was : "Now this phone is available for all of the carriers, so shout out to everybody with Sprint and Verizon. You're finally not assed out, welcome to the party".

Last edited:
Back