Picked up G80's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad News....http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4253 and here http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11/06/nvidia_recalls_geforce_8800_gtx_batch/

screenshot186lm8.jpg

Kliter said:
For the third time, it's pre-released hardware running on un-official drivers. What don't you understand about that? 0_o

Ummm..... did you not look at the pictures in the first post and see this is a RETAIL card purchased from a RETAIL STORE? This is far from "pre-release" hardware.

Still looks good once the drivers bring the IQ up to standard and start to show off some of the new goodness.

ToddMcF2002 said:
I'm assuming the cobblestone pattern so cleanly rendering into the distance is what 16x AF is buying us?

Yes, and it's about frigging time.

This thread needs some high resolution GOTHIC 3 screenshot loving with maximum details and AF (and with transparency AA if possible!).

...plus these \Gothic III\Ini\ge3.ini settings:

VegetationAdmin.ViewRange=10500.0 (3x distance for grass etc.)
Entity.ROI=8000.0 (2x distance for AI entities)

...and with and without Depth Of Field.

Thank you :)

R1ckCa1n said:
Ummm..... did you not look at the pictures in the first post and see this is a RETAIL card purchased from a RETAIL STORE? This is far from "pre-release" hardware.

Still looks good once the drivers bring the IQ up to standard and start to show off some of the new goodness.

The cards that mike and I purchased are retail cards and are not pre-release :)

I'll take 2-4 hours of mad nuts gaming speedz!!

Mike an Dec:
Have you gamed for more than that? Any issue?

Jodiuh said:
I'll take 2-4 hours of mad nuts gaming speedz!!

Mike an Dec:
Have you gamed for more than that? Any issue?

The only thing I noticed was when playing oblivion was that the body shadow looked like a screen, but I figured it was the beta drivers. :p From answering PM's and questions I never got to play anything for any amount of time :D I had more fun reading the post about the cards :D

ToddMcF2002 said:
I'm assuming the cobblestone pattern so cleanly rendering into the distance is what 16x AF is buying us?

The cobblestone pattern is on the flat, level ground that has an angle of zero degrees. So, at that angle, 16X AF is exactly the same for all of the cards: 7900GTX, 1900XTX, and 8800GTX.

decapitator said:
The only thing I noticed was when playing oblivion was that the body shadow looked like a screen, but I figured it was the beta drivers. :p From answering PM's and questions I never got to play anything for any amount of time :D I had more fun reading the post about the cards :D

Less reading and playing and more getting SLI to work. I need someone to do all the hard work for me.

D4hPr0 said:
Less reading and playing and more getting SLI to work. I need someone to do all the hard work for me.

I hope the 680i comes this week without issue :D If not I will pick up something already out there.

decapitator said:
I hope the 680i comes this week without issue :D If not I will pick up something already out there.

Im not even gonna there. Im gonna get it to work on an intel chipped mobo.

SlamDunk said:
This thread needs some high resolution GOTHIC 3 screenshot loving with maximum details and AF (and with transparency AA if possible!).

...plus these \Gothic III\Ini\ge3.ini settings:

VegetationAdmin.ViewRange=10500.0 (3x distance for grass etc.)
Entity.ROI=8000.0 (2x distance for AI entities)

...and with and without Depth Of Field.

Thank you :)

I'll post some of these on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am running G3 in 1920x1200 with the ini tweaked using a 7900GTX SLI setup. I'll be throwing two EVGA 8800 GTXs in tomorrow night on a 680i EVGA board (everything is in stock - woot!). I'll post some benchmarks as well.

I'll let you know if the upgrade was worth it. Hopefully. :eek:

P.S. Look for my bargain basement 7900 GTXs on e-bay on Wednesday. lol

decapitator said:
The only thing I noticed was when playing oblivion was that the body shadow looked like a screen, but I figured it was the beta drivers.
Self-shadows? I'm not certain that those work correctly on any hardware.

phide said:
Self-shadows? I'm not certain that those work correctly on any hardware.

Yeah they're iffy at best... I have them turned on because I find that without them everyone looks like they're glowing, but I do agree that they don't look very good sometimes.

funny thing too, I stopped by a fry's in Texas (not saying where) and just wanted to see the card. They only had the GTS model by BFG. I thought it was odd that they didn't have any GTXs and I'm not saying it's because of the reasons above--it was just odd.

Oh yeah, the box is huge and they were priced at $499.00 (640mb ram)

Bo_Fox said:
The cobblestone pattern is on the flat, level ground that has an angle of zero degrees. So, at that angle, 16X AF is exactly the same for all of the cards: 7900GTX, 1900XTX, and 8800GTX.

as i understood it, the zero degree angle is for looking straight at it, ie you are looking straight down at the ground, that will be the same for all cards

if you see a cobblestone road in the distance, the closer you get to looking along the plane of the texture, the harder it is to display well. iirc for all the above

Just got back from the Tempe Fry's. They were really cool about it...stuck my name on a card for Wednesday. Apparently there was a guy in there on Sunday begging and willing to pay more than sticker, haha!

I might take a drive up the PHX store and see if they're a little more uninformed.

EVGA wants me to return my cards back to Frys :D I just wanted to know if I should register the unopened one and he started to go off on me :eek: So I said first you need to stop talking to me like I'm dirt under your F***ing shoe, its not like I held up the F***ing store or I walked out of there without paying for them. I spent over 1300.00 dollars on your F***ing product, now he gets nice and suggest Frys holds two cards for me on release day( like that is going to happen ) if I return the two I have . :)

decapitator said:
EVGA wants me to return my cards back to Frys :D I just wanted to know if I should register the unopened one and he started to go off on me :eek: So I said first you need to stop talking to me like I'm dirt under your F***ing shoe, its not like I held up the F***ing store or I walked out of there without paying for them. I spent over 1300.00 dollars on your F***ing product, now he gets nice and suggest Frys holds two cards for me on release day( like that is going to happen ) if I return the two I have . :)

LOL What do you mean he went off on you? What did he say exactly?

masaville said:
I'll post some of these on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am running G3 in 1920x1200 with the ini tweaked using a 7900GTX SLI setup. I'll be throwing two EVGA 8800 GTXs in tomorrow night on a 680i EVGA board (everything is in stock - woot!). I'll post some benchmarks as well.
Holy s***...

Thank you very much, kind sir. Can't wait! :)

mike686 said:
LOL What do you mean he went off on you? What did he say exactly?

Word for word

Sir ( in high tone) you need to return the cards back to the store now!! Its against the law to have the cards. So I correct him and tell him he is confused and in fact I did nothing wrong. :p

decapitator said:
Word for word

Sir ( in high tone) you need to return the cards back to the store now!! Its against the law to have the cards. So I correct him and tell him he is confused and in fact I did nothing wrong. :p

Ahahahaahahahhhahah................

against the law

..........ahahahahahahahahahahah

decapitator said:
Word for word

it was breaking NDA for them to sell them to you, they are the ones who screwed up, EVGA contacted them and told them to fly right or lose the ability to buy future products probably

but you know they probably are only wanting to get them back to swap them for ones that went through the recall process, to make sure you dont have faulty cards and start bad mouthing the GTX in public as a result of getting them before you were supposed to

it's only fair, but if i were you, i would probably take them back the evening before they are publically available, and then show up the next morning to pick up the two they reserved for you, to make sure you have the best quality cards

nobody_here said:
it was breaking NDA for them to sell them to you, they are the ones who screwed up

but you know they probably are only wanting to get them back to swap them for ones that went through the recall process, to make sure you dont have faulty cards and start bad mouthing the GTX in public as a result of getting them before you were supposed to

it's only fair, but if i were you, i would probably take them back the evening before they are publically available, and then show up the next morning to pick up the two they reserved for you, to make sure you have the best quality cards
this sounds like a sound plan

and who knows, they may not let you register the cards even for warranty and stuff (which would be retarded of them, but possible)

it is completely the retailers fault, and the manufacturer should have kindly asked you to return them due to the call back, apologizing profusely for the retarded retailer

even though we love their lack of smarts :)

i_am_mustang_man said:
this sounds like a sound plan

and who knows, they may not let you register the cards even for warranty and stuff (which would be retarded of them, but possible)

it is completely the retailers fault, and the manufacturer should have kindly asked you to return them due to the call back, apologizing profusely for the retarded retailer

even though we love their lack of smarts :)

But he broke the law, he should be arrested.

By the Nvidia police!

masaville said:

I'll let you know if the upgrade was worth it. Hopefully. :eek:

P.S. Look for my bargain basement 7900 GTXs on e-bay on Wednesday. lol

Where the hell is the 680i in stock???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back