Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

1) what is the difference between using the Smart control software setting, vs. the OSD button setting?

2) in the TFT calibration settings, they have more than 1 Calibration setting, for e.g., they have:

1) They're the same, except for the black level control, which is not found on the OSD. With my panel I found that dropping the red channel to 49 in the black level control removed a slight red tinge when looking at a full black screen.

2) The Smartuniformity setting will give a more uniform color output across the screen, but will seriously reduce black depth. I would not use it unless color uniformity across the screen is more important to you than contrast.

Unless you have already paid for it, it would be much better to order it from amazon.it, you get the same quality from amazon.co.uk the only disadvantage is that you probably can't get live chat in English, but they will still answer in English if the communication is done by email.
I usually buy tools from amazon.de (I'm not german) and have even returned a few, and it's pretty much the same service quality as amazon.co.uk.

Unless you have already paid for it, it would be much better to order it from amazon.it, you get the same quality from amazon.co.uk the only disadvantage is that you probably can't get live chat in English, but they will still answer in English if the communication is done by email.
I usually buy tools from amazon.de (I'm not german) and have even returned a few, and it's pretty much the same service quality as amazon.co.uk.

Not sure you can count on amazon.it doing as well as amazon.de, but I agree that buying through amazon.it should be fine. Really regardless of where you buy from within the EU it is all covered by strong consumer rights laws,

The thing about online shopping in Germany is that the they have a decade long tradition of doing mail order right, fx. way before the internet one could get phone book size mail order catalogs from sellers with some catalogs even available at news stands/kiosks (as a tourist there I remember getting one on bicycles that was like 400-500 pages).

Maybe I phrased it badly, I mean I purchased the monitor on Amazon.it for delivery to the UK where I live.

Oh ok, in that case yeah it was a good purchase, the price is already far more close to what it should be as well, I paid around the same for mine, and that was without VAT.

Not sure you can count on amazon.it doing as well as amazon.de, but I agree that buying through amazon.it should be fine. Really regardless of where you buy from within the EU it is all covered by strong consumer rights laws,

The thing about online shopping in Germany is that the they have a decade long tradition of doing mail order right, fx. way before the internet one could get phone book size mail order catalogs from sellers with some catalogs even available at news stands/kiosks (as a tourist there I remember getting one on bicycles that was like 400-500 pages).

Also at least as far as amazon.de and amazon.co.uk is concern they are literally the same company based in luxemburg, and I believe they use each others warehouses to move products, since I have seen products going from Spain to Germany, and then back to Portugal (if the tracking is to be believed), so either way should be fine.

I need some help: Prior to having this monitor, my video card connection is:

DIsplay port to HP ZR30, HDMI to a Pioneer Integrated amp., and from there to my SHarp 60" TV

and on rare occasion, the PC will boot up w/ my main HP as the 2nd screen, so I don't see the task bar, and the Sharp as my my screen. And all I have to do is re-boot.

eversince this monitor is here, each time I boot up, I have to turn on my pioneer amp. in order for my philip to see it as a main screen.

Say I use the Philip 40" for a few hr., as soon as I turn off the Pioneer amp., the philip switch to a secondary screen.

Now you think that Smart Control software I install from philip is screwing around? As the driver prior to the phlip is Nivida July 2014, and now the driver is Feb. 2015, same problem.

I can try the Apr. 2015 gaming driver, but I seriously doubt it will make any difference.

I need some help: Prior to having this monitor, my video card connection is:

DIsplay port to HP ZR30, HDMI to a Pioneer Integrated amp., and from there to my SHarp 60" TV

and on rare occasion, the PC will boot up w/ my main HP as the 2nd screen, so I don't see the task bar, and the Sharp as my my screen. And all I have to do is re-boot.

eversince this monitor is here, each time I boot up, I have to turn on my pioneer amp. in order for my philip to see it as a main screen.

Say I use the Philip 40" for a few hr., as soon as I turn off the Pioneer amp., the philip switch to a secondary screen.

Now you think that Smart Control software I install from philip is screwing around? As the driver prior to the phlip is Nivida July 2014, and now the driver is Feb. 2015, same problem.

I can try the Apr. 2015 gaming driver, but I seriously doubt it will make any difference.
You can of course uninstall the Philips SmartControl software just to see if it matters, it is not a must to use the monitor only a convenience. However I highly doubt it will change anything with regards to the issue.

The Philips monitor, just like any other monitor, is not controlling what Windows decide to designate as it's main screen. What you're seeing is that Windows through the video card senses what is connected and unfortunately with some video cards the handling of DisplayPort connected monitors are lacking, so this is why at times you see your HDMI connection gets to have priority.

First thing you should do is update your graphics driver as the issue is really with the graphics hardware and not the monitor(what you're fighting you would also have to fight with any other Display port connected monitor). If that doesn't help try going into the display settings and tell Windows what you want to be your main screen, at the very least doing so should let you put your task bar is without needing to reboot.

My monitor got delivered yesterday via Amazon (sold and shipped by an Italian supplier).

I am impressed with the 4k side of things, looks great.

However any resolution other than 4k is blurry/fuzzy/not clear at all and it's puzzling me as to why that is.

My computer is a new build without a GPU (waiting for 390x/980ti) so I'm using the onboard Intel HD graphics (i5 4690k). I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable from the motherboard to the HDMI port on the monitor.

It's in widescreen mode, running at 60hz with either 1080p or 1440p and no matter what settings I change it's still fuzzy. But when it's in 4k it's crystal clear so it can't be the panel could it?

I'm hoping it's more of a configuration issue rather than something wrong with the monitor.

I'm thinking of returning/selling it if I can't get it to work properly. People from another Tech forum say that their 1080p/1440p looks great and they have no issues.

I would really appreciate some help with this, it's a fantastic monitor apart from this problem.

Hopefully someone has a solution :confused::(

My monitor got delivered yesterday via Amazon (sold and shipped by an Italian supplier).

I am impressed with the 4k side of things, looks great.

However any resolution other than 4k is blurry/fuzzy/not clear at all and it's puzzling me as to why that is.

My computer is a new build without a GPU (waiting for 390x/980ti) so I'm using the onboard Intel HD graphics (i5 4690k). I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable from the motherboard to the HDMI port on the monitor.

It's in widescreen mode, running at 60hz with either 1080p or 1440p and no matter what settings I change it's still fuzzy. But when it's in 4k it's crystal clear so it can't be the panel could it?

I'm hoping it's more of a configuration issue rather than something wrong with the monitor.

I'm thinking of returning/selling it if I can't get it to work properly. People from another Tech forum say that their 1080p/1440p looks great and they have no issues.

I would really appreciate some help with this, it's a fantastic monitor apart from this problem.

Hopefully someone has a solution :confused::(

This is not surprising. Most monitors have terrible scaler. Try 1080P, if it looks fuzzy at that resolution, then they screwed the pooch on that as well.

This is not surprising. Most monitors have terrible scaler. Try 1080P, if it looks fuzzy at that resolution, then they screwed the pooch on that as well.

So do you mean that my monitor isn't working correctly? or that 1080p scaling isn't going to be perfect in everyone's opinion?

(I'm hoping you mean that generally 1080p on 4k monitors won't look as clear as native 1080p monitors lol)

(I'm hoping you mean that generally 1080p on 4k monitors won't look as clear as native 1080p monitors lol)

That is absolutely correct.

All LCD displays look best/sharpest at their native resolution. This is not a new thing; it has been the case for over a decade. ;)

So do you mean that my monitor isn't working correctly? or that 1080p scaling isn't going to be perfect in everyone's opinion?

If done right, 1080P should look almost as good as native resolution if it uses 1:4 pixel doubling. Unfortunately, most monitor scalers are generic scalers with terrible interpolation. The high end scalers on TV's, surprisingly, does do this. Most 4K TV's have good to excellent 1080P -> 4K scalers.

That is absolutely correct.

All LCD displays look best/sharpest at their native resolution. This is not a new thing; it has been the case for over a decade. ;)

Yeah I guess! Just a shame, I was hoping for it to look as good as my previous 1080p screen. It's not a big deal, just was expecting better.

I've messed around with cleartype & DPI & used TFT's recommended ICC settings and it seems better but not 100% clear. Infact 1440p seems to be alot better than 1080p. I'll end up switching between 1440p and 2160p for desktop use anyway.

I guess I won't notice it in games as much which is the main reason for the purchase of this monitor. I cannot wait to test out 4k gaming, I downloaded a 4k gaming montage and it looks stunning.

Are there any other tweaks I can do?

If done right, 1080P should look almost as good as native resolution if it uses 1:4 pixel doubling. Unfortunately, most monitor scalers are generic scalers with terrible interpolation. The high end scalers on TV's, surprisingly, does do this. Most 4K TV's have good to excellent 1080P -> 4K scalers.

Well to be fair, as long as it's not my monitor playing up then that's ok. I won't be using 1080p for desktop use anyway :p

Well to be fair, as long as it's not my monitor playing up then that's ok. I won't be using 1080p for desktop use anyway :p

If it's fuzzy on desktop, it will be fuzzy in game. I know because I've returned 4 monitors for this very reason.

If it's fuzzy on desktop, it will be fuzzy in game. I know because I've returned 4 monitors for this very reason.

You've returned 4 of this model?

Hmm, not sure what to do now..I need to be sure it's my monitor that's playing up.

I'm using 1440p at the moment everything seems fine (not 100% crystal clear).

Watching a few films/tv shows and they seem pretty good too. I would say it's 90% clear but then again is that normal for this monitor or do I actually have a defect product?

You've returned 4 of this model?

Hmm, not sure what to do now..I need to be sure it's my monitor that's playing up.

I'm using 1440p at the moment everything seems fine (not 100% crystal clear).

Watching a few films/tv shows and they seem pretty good too. I would say it's 90% clear but then again is that normal for this monitor or do I actually have a defect product?

No, I meant to say I returned four DIFFERENT monitors due to bad scalers because I need 1080P performance for my PS4 and 1080P PC games. 1080P should look better than 1440P if done right because 1440P is not easily divisible by 4K but 1080P is. The fact that 1440P looks better than 1080P means the scaler is scaling 1080P the same as 1440P, which is to say, not very well. It's just interpolation which will cause fuzziness.

No, I meant to say I returned four DIFFERENT monitors due to bad scalers because I need 1080P performance for my PS4 and 1080P PC games. 1080P should look better than 1440P if done right because 1440P is not easily divisible by 4K but 1080P is. The fact that 1440P looks better than 1080P means the scaler is scaling 1080P the same as 1440P, which is to say, not very well. It's just interpolation which will cause fuzziness.

Ah right I see, so what do you recommend? Is my monitor not working 100% correctly? or is this normal

I just tested out League of Legends due to that being able to run fairly decently on the Intel HD graphics and I noticed a tearing issue when playing. It seems to be in the top part of the screen. I did not get this with my old monitor so it is this monitor. I get it when playing at 1080p, 1440p and 2160p.

Again, is this a normal issue and will it be solved when I'm using Displayport and a proper GPU?

Or is this what I'm faced with when using 4k monitors (or is it just this particular monitor)?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just a bit lost as what to do right now..

Ah right I see, so what do you recommend? Is my monitor not working 100% correctly? or is this normal

I just tested out League of Legends due to that being able to run fairly decently on the Intel HD graphics and I noticed a tearing issue when playing. It seems to be in the top part of the screen. I did not get this with my old monitor so it is this monitor. I get it when playing at 1080p, 1440p and 2160p.

Again, is this a normal issue and will it be solved when I'm using Displayport and a proper GPU?

Or is this what I'm faced with when using 4k monitors (or is it just this particular monitor)?

I have used the Philips a fait bit with my PS3 and I think it is just fine. It is of course not as sharp as the native 2160p, but it can't be since there is only 1/4 of the pixels in the signal from the PS3 and I imagine a 40" 1080p screen used with the same viewing distance as the Philips will also be less than perfect. The 1440p also looks fine to m and it is about on par with the 1080p - I imagine that the less ideal scaling is made up for by more pixels in the signal.

Now the tearing you mention I can recognize seeing, but I imagine it could be one of two things.
  1. Could it be that you're running only 30Hz refresh rate? If so I imagine that could cause some issues with PC games since if there is an out-of-sync game framerate the 30Hz means you'll see it longer while with a higher refresh rate you might simply not notice a out-of-sync frame as much.
  2. Maybe the bigger screen means you're simply noticing a tearing issue with the game that has been there on the old screen, but slipped by due to a smaller screen size.
Both options should go away if you set the game to sync with the refresh rate, look for v-sync in the game options or perhaps in the video driver settings (I don't know the Intel graphics drivers so I can not be specific).

Finally it may be that some of the monitor settings may cause or limit the picture quality when running in non-native resolution. I have not tested any of this, but you could fx. try and experiment with the SmartResponse and SmartContrast settings to see if it makes a difference.

The scaling is fine, nothing wrong with your monitor. You can't fix it other than buying a different monitor with better scaling. However, there should be no tearing. Do you have a picture of it?

Yeah you were right. It was the fact that the FPS was uncapped in-game.

When I switched to 30fps limit when using 4k resolution it stopped and the same for 60fps limit when using 1440p (the DVI-HDMI cable limits me to 30hz at 4k and 60hz at 1440p). So at least that problem is solved and it's not my monitor playing up.

And as long as my monitor isn't faulty that's good, the last thing I want is to have the hassle of getting it replaced.

There's no other monitors that are this size, this was pretty much the only one that fit my requirements, so I'm glad that the scaling issue is universal with this panel/other 4k monitors. I doubt I'll use 1080p for anything anymore to be honest.

Thanks for the help, you guys are awesome!

If you have any other tips on settings to change let me know

Would anyone know how to prevent this monitor from auto-switching its inputs? It's the only thing about it I find truly annoying so far. If I have multiple devices plugged into it, it will auto switch to something else if it (mistakenly!) thinks I've powered down the PC I'm currently using.

If done right, 1080P should look almost as good as native resolution if it uses 1:4 pixel doubling.

Pixel doubling should always look inferior to a real scaler. Pixel doubling would result in non-horizontal/vertical lines looking like a staircase - yes, a sharp staircase, but rubbish compared to the even line a scaler can produce.

I mean, why do you think people use antialiasing?

1080P should look better than 1440P if done right because 1440P is not easily divisible by 4K but 1080P is. The fact that 1440P looks better than 1080P means the scaler is scaling 1080P the same as 1440P, which is to say, not very well. It's just interpolation which will cause fuzziness.

Of course 1440p looks better than 1080p. Its almost 80% more pixels with almost 80% more information!

There are some photos about the scaling - was it in this thread or in another thread, I don't know - but the scaling on this pictures looks amazing on the Philips.

Pixel doubling should always look inferior to a real scaler. Pixel doubling would result in non-horizontal/vertical lines looking like a staircase - yes, a sharp staircase, but rubbish compared to the even line a scaler can produce.

Of course 1440p looks better than 1080p. Its almost 80% more pixels with almost 80% more information!

There are some photos about the scaling - was it in this thread or in another thread, I don't know - but the scaling on this pictures looks amazing on the Philips.

Pixel doubling is sharper and clearer because there is no interpolation. Non-native scaling has always been a problem with LCD type monitors. Check out Samsung or Sony 4k and you will see the difference between 1080p and 1440p. 1080P is far sharper and clearer than 1440p regardless of the higher pixel count of 1440p. The reason is that the pixels are interpolated for 1440p but perfect 4 to 1 for 1080p.

Well, lets assume, this is a line in 1080p on a 1080p display:

You would like to upscale it by pixel doubling, so it would look like this on a 4k monitor:

Don't you see it? It's a frickin STAIRCASE! It's ugly! Nobody wants to look at lines like this.

And this is why there are scaler. A good scaler would upscale the line like this on a 4k monitor:

Does it look softer? Yes, but it is still a better line then the doubled pixel staircase!

Really, this is why there is antialiasing. But, just my 2 cents.

EDIT:

I found the pictures I mentioned earlier:

Few had been wondering about playing games at 1080p stretched to fill the whole screen, so I took a few pictures.

Click thumbnails to open in new tab.

Side by side close-up, camera was much closer than you would normally sit:

Here you can easily tell the difference between 4k and 1080p in font and line sharpness.

Next is a wide A-B comparison from about 60cm distance, where I would normally sit.

4k:

1080p:

My vision isn't perfect, but at this distance the lesser sharpness doesn't bother me personally at all. If a game needs more frames, I can play

happily at 1080p.

This looks leagues ahead of pixel doubling, because through scaling one gets actually more picture information than there are in the original 1080p source. Of course still less than in 2160p.

The scaler really seems to do a brilliant job:

Just remember zoom in fully if your browser fits images to window size.

2160 > 1440 > 1920 > 720

2160>1440>720

Last edited:
if you blow up huge pixel like that, anything would look jagged, even a 4k pixel. Interpolation introduces artifacts, as noted by your gray pixels which changes the original color. Furthermore, interpolation isn't exact so the gray and black pixels aren't perfect like that image which creates a fuzzy look. You can see the picture of the car being softer in every picture except for the original.

However, there's no point for me to argue a point which has been widely documented: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

I just got mine delivered almost a week ago now, from Amazon US. I replaced a 3x 23" portrait eyefinity setup (combined 3240x1920, 42" diagonal) with this beast, and so far it's amazing!

Believe it or not, the monitor seemed absolutely huge, even though for me it was technically a 2" reduction in size. Just the lack of bezels makes it psychologically feel so much bigger I guess, maybe combined with the slight increase in DPI, but after almost a week now I'm very used to it and loving it.

I did have a couple of minor hiccups I don't mind sharing. First I couldn't get it to sync at 60Hz. I set the OSD to 1.2, re-checked that the GPU was compatible, and even the driver listed it as a supported rate, but if I chose it the resolution got lowered to compensate. Every indication was that it was a bandwidth problem. I was using an old DP cable from monoprice made before the 1.2 spec existed, and it was either 12' or 15' long. I ordered a new 6' "premium" DP 1.2 cable from monoprice and it just arrived this morning. Synced right up at 60Hz no problem!

Also, at first I was easily able to see the issue where moving a window around there's a ghostly/discolored image the width of the window all the way to the top of the screen. It was fairly apparent with the out of the box settings, I have a predominantly blue-green-ish wallpaper, and the default all-white firefox start page showed the issue clearly. It's definitely not a "you have to manufacture the issue in Photoshop" situation, but it didn't honestly bother me either. If you're looking at the window that you're moving, instead of looking at the area of desktop above the window, I just didn't notice it :) In any case, after setting the TFTcentral calibrated settings (I haven't had time to break out my EyeOne yet) I can't even see it anymore unless I'm explicitly looking for it. At least with my blueish-greenish background, the effect is so subtle now I have to try to see it and even then it's just two faint vertical lines from the corners of the white window, rather than a whole ghostly rectangle.

That's pretty much the only slightly-negative things I can say about it so far, the rest has been great. The blacks are phenomenal, colors look good to my eyes (though the EyeOne will come out soon), and the 4K res at this DPI is amazing. One of my favorite features is actually the Philips SmartControl application that installs with the driver. It lets you partition your monitor into zones and then instantly send windows to be maximized within a zone. I have mine set up as 3x portrait zones, just like my old displays, and the freedom of being able to have the best of both worlds, 3 separate windows open in perfect thirds of the screen, or one giant 40" without bezels in the way, is just amazing! I had no idea this software came with the monitor, but it's been the best bonus feature I could have ever asked for!

here's 1 complaint I have with this screen. I have this screen connects to the same video card as my Sharp 60" TV. By viewing the same photo, after I view it on my Philips, I drag that same photo to the Sharp screen, the Sharp screen looks much better, eventhough both monitor is LED LCD.

What would you recommend between Philips BDM4065UC and Panasonic TX-43CXW754 ?
VA panel vs IPS panel
40 inch vs 43 inch
799 euro vs 1199 euro
InputLag higher on the tv

We were talking about scaling/interpolation, right? I know that a picture in its native resolution will always look sharper. There is no doubt about that.

But I guess there is really no point in arguing a point which has been widely documented: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling

I think you're just trying to be argumentative now.

You just admited that native always look sharper. Yet previously you said that pixel doubling looks worse than interpolation. 1080P resolution using pixel doubling looks like a NATIVE 1080P screen on a 4K screen if done correctly. Interpolation is always inferior to pixel doubling on LCD because of the fixed pixels involved. That was not the case with CRT as the electron gun can create any amount of pixels natively.

You just admited that native always look sharper.

Correct, and I have never ever said anything different.

Yet previously you said that pixel doubling looks worse than interpolation.

Correct.

1080P resolution using pixel doubling looks like a NATIVE 1080P screen on a 4K screen if done correctly.

Correct. Like one big 1080p display with HUGE pixels.

Interpolation is always inferior to pixel doubling on LCD because of the fixed pixels involved.

WRONG!

Imagine a display with an infinite number of pixels. You have a 1080p source - do you really want to waste the infinite resolution? A scaler makes the 1080p source look like a higher resolution source! It smoothes out all these "staircases".

The scaled picture looks inferior to the native 4k resolution (with 4k source) on a 4k monitor but NOT to pixel doubled 1080p upscaling, which is the worst way to upscale because you forgoe the potential of using the extra pixels of the 4k display.

You get more picture information by scaling! You should check out the link I provided - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling - maybe you get it then. Or maybe not, I don't care.

But I will not continiue to discuss this matter with you anymore. I hope you find a 4k monitor or TV that does your desired pixel doubling scaling. And I will never touch such a low quality pixel doubling scaling with a 5ft pole, because I prefer a quality picture, which uses the full potential of the display.

Last edited:
well i have played with the xbox and ps4 on the screen and found the quality definitely worse then the equivalent size 1080p screen. I tested it with an denon x4000 receiver and the quality was a lot better using the inbuilt scaler. Even running windows in 1080p looks a lot worse than it should. I tried all available options for gpu scaling etc and on the monitor with no success

Do you have some photos of the bad scaling?

Because the people who post photos of the scaling usually say it scales pretty good. Of course not as great as an external $5000 Lumagen 4k scaler, but good. Funny that the people, who say it has a not a good scaling never post photos...

BTW, here are the scaling pictures from TFT-Central:

Source

TFT-Central likes the scaling, too. And they have seen one or two different displays:

The screen seems to interpolate the image quite well although you of course lose a lot of desktop real-estate running at a lower resolution. This is at least positive news for if you want to game or watch content from an external device at 1080p.

I think for a 700 Euro 4k VA-panel display the scaler does fine.

So the Philips arrived today and since God is the world's greatest arsehole it appears there is a significant problem with it.

It arrived undamaged(?) from Italy to the UK but the screen doesn't fit flush to the edge at the center/top and the backlight shines straight through, makes me wonder whether Philips quality control is done by blind people. Here are a couple of shots showing the backlight displaying between the screen and the frame -

Shot 1 - showing backlight bleed
3SpfuR2.jpg

Shot 2 - showing backlight bleed
b3jvK2l.jpg

So I assume I'll have to send this back to Amazon Italy? Would Philips exchange it in the UK under their European warranty?

Anyone got a problem with the refresh rate occasionally reverting to 30hz? When this happens I sometimes have to restart my computer to get it back to 60hz? Any ideas?

Back