Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

I'm sorry to nag but I'm on the point of buying this monitor...can anybody who has this monitor make a good youtube video of the screen about gaming on 1080p res on this monitor?
What does it look like, does it look like garbage or is it doable to watch?
I want this monitor for workspace, but I don't want to render at 4K for games

Haven't seen a YouTube yet, but did you read this from the TFT Central review?

The massive 40" screen size really comes in to its own when playing games. It adds a lot of immersion and you have a really huge area to view. You can comfortably sit a few metres back from the screen like you would with an LCD TV and play games. The Quad HD resolution is also very impressive for games, providing a very high resolution and a lot of detail. Images look sharp and crisp even up close. One big consideration you need to make is that the 3840 x 2160 resolution is likely to be a major drag on even high end graphics cards and PC systems when it comes to gaming. You really need to think about the type of game you want to play, the settings you want to use, and whether your system can handle outputting such a high resolution effectively.

...(snip)...

One option of course is to run the game at a lower resolution and let the screen scale it. That's probably the most sensible option in most cases and we know that the interpolation of lower resolutions like 1920 x 1080 is actually pretty good on this model. It does kind of defeat the point of having a 4k resolution in the first place though. If you have games which can natively support this resolution properly, they would look fantastic given the very high resolution and large screen size. External games consoles running at 1080p will still look fine of course, and the image is interpolated well, but you will certainly want to be sitting a normal TV viewing distance to play those we're sure.

Seems like you should - like me - ask yourself whether your computer room can be adjusted to support a greater viewing distance.

I'm not sure I'd consider any desk that was 4ft deep to be normal. I wouldn't even be able to reach the back of a 4ft desk from the front, at least not remotely comfortably. Having just shopped around for desks, normal seems to be 2-3ft. My current L-shaped glass desk that I'll be replacing is 2ft deep, and the new adjustable height desk I bought is 2.5ft, but I also have and will continue to have a keyboard tray that will allow me to sit another several inches away from the desk surface, so I should be able to set my viewing distance from the panel as high as ~40". If gamma shift is a problem, then so be it. In that case I'll just take comfort in the fact that you can't have everything in this world, and people who don't suffer gamma shift also don't have something as awesome as a 40" 4K monitor situated close enough to fill their entire field of vision. :D

But all that said, I'm now wondering if the current owners of this display would be willing to share the depths of their desks and their viewing distances as well as whether they see any issues like this at the corners.

4ft is a normal depth for a corner desk. Ikea is hardly high end, obscure or designer furniture. My desk at work is 4ft from the corner as well, with 2.5ft extensions on either side.

33-36" is definitely too close for 40" (as it was for a 37") and some think it's too close for a 32". Based on the LG 27" thread (and Black Octagon's reply), this is largely considered the norm for a 27" display.

Very valid points, especially since gamma shift is more likely to be an annoyance with VA panels. That said, I reckon I already have my 27-inch (2560x1440) monitor about 3 feet from my eyes. If I push the wall-mount back as far as it will go I can get it to about 4.5 feet. To move further back I'd need to retract the desk away from the wall. Happy to do so, though I'd rather leave it where it is. Hmm...

I think you'll be fine at 4.5ft if you can get the bottom of the monitor down to the desk, like another member I saw here with it on an arm.

Yes indeed, an arm or wallmount would be essential with this one. With a behemoth like this, you want to be able to move the monitor as much as possible, and not only be able to make adjustments by moving yourself

4ft is a normal depth for a corner desk. Ikea is hardly high end, obscure or designer furniture. My desk at work is 4ft from the corner as well, with 2.5ft extensions on either side.

33-36" is definitely too close for 40" (as it was for a 37") and some think it's too close for a 32". Based on the LG 27" thread (and Black Octagon's reply), this is largely considered the norm for a 27" display.

I think you'll be fine at 4.5ft if you can get the bottom of the monitor down to the desk, like another member I saw here with it on an arm.

So your 4ft measurement is the distance from the inside corner of an L-shaped desk to the corner of the wall, i.e. a diagonal? I can see that being a standard size there since that means the front-to-back depth of the desk measuring on a perpendicular would be 34 inches -- but the problem with that diagonal is that it's a completely meaningless measurement when considering how large a display you can use at that distance. The reason of course is that the width of the display will prevent it from being placed all the way in the corner. A 40" display is almost 3ft wide, so (dusting off my high school trigonometry in my brain) if you wanted to place the display along a diagonal that bisected that corner of the wall, it would need to be 18" forward of that corner; the edges of the display would touch the walls 25" from the corner at each side. That means that maintaining your desired viewing distance would require a desk much deeper than 4ft -- or an exceptionally long keyboard tray.

I will have an arm to put the display on the deck, or at least very close to it. I may leave a little room for a USB hub, external hard drive, small speakers, etc.

Last edited:
So I just received mine this morning and I am having a problem getting the thing running @ 60hz. it's only giving me the 30hz option in both nvidia control panel and windows resolution settings. I tried creating a custom rez in nvidia control panel and it wont save it, although it says it was successful, I dont believe it was even running in 60hz when it said custom resolution success. I am currently using my gtx 680 via display port. (waiting on my 980).
Am i missing something??
Edit: Never mind I had to change in the OSD from display port 1.1 to display port 1.2. Why would 1.1 be default??

Last edited:
So your 4ft measurement is the distance from the inside corner of an L-shaped desk to the corner of the wall, i.e. a diagonal? I can see that being a standard size there since that means the front-to-back depth of the desk measuring on a perpendicular would be 34 inches -- but the problem with that diagonal is that it's a completely meaningless measurement when considering how large a display you can use at that distance. The reason of course is that the width of the display will prevent it from being placed all the way in the corner. A 40" display is almost 3ft wide, so (dusting off my high school trigonometry in my brain) if you wanted to place the display along a diagonal that bisected that corner of the wall, it would need to be 18" forward of that corner; the edges of the display would touch the walls 25" from the corner at each side. That means that maintaining your desired viewing distance would require a desk much deeper than 4ft -- or an exceptionally long keyboard tray.

I will have an arm to put the display on the deck, or at least very close to it. I may leave a little room for a USB hub, external hard drive, small speakers, etc.

You're correct, although it also depends on how far the desk is from the wall and as you said how far you actually sit from the desk itself. My 37" would not fit all the way back in the corner, but I had no issue getting 4.5ft from it. Considering the gigantic bezels and thickness on a 37" CCFL, I'm sure I could fit the 40" at the same distance.

I think you'll be happy once you get it mounted on the arm as that will eliminate the issue with the upper corners larger displays typically have.

Got the monitor to sit flush with the desk.

Wy2xAwVl.jpg

Much better over the stand. The stand makes the monitor sit a bit too high for normal use. With it lowered it feels just right

I used this cheap stand-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C2914C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this 200 VESA adapter-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036L5RJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
BTW could you take a photo of just how close to the table the monitor gets, since it has that weird thing in the middle sticking out, it gives the idea it isn't going to get completely flat on the table because of it, and I'm wondering just how much it sticks out.

Curious to see how well this is going to work for me, since I'm going to be receiving my embody chair at the same time as the monitor (hopefully), so still have no idea how high the chair goes, hopefully I won't end up having to cut the legs on my desk since that would be quite a lot of trouble.

Ok, well in the war between the parts of my brain, id just triumphed over superego -- I just bought this thing off Taobao via Yoybuy. I used the Taobao link from earlier in this thread that is apparently a reputable vendor, made a unique password for my Yoybuy account, opted for the ~$30 insurance option through Yoybuy, and paid with PayPal rather than a credit card because as horrible as the dispute process can be on PayPal compared to credit card company, I just couldn't make myself give my credit card number to an unfamiliar Chinese company. Sure was weird navigating the Chinese version of the PayPal site. Anyway, hopefully something in that formula will smooth things over if I encounter any delivery issues -- knock on wood! As for the warranty, I guess I'll just hope that if Philips ever does make this display available in the US, I'll be able to work with Philips US rather than Philips China on any exchanges.

With all fees plus shipping costs estimated on the 13.51 kg figure I found on Philips' site for "Product with packaging", the total came to US $1044.09. I chose DHL 3-5 day delivery, and right now the Yoybuy site shows an ETA of 10/22, which I imagine is the fudge factor for them to receive it from the Taobao vendor.

Never thought I would do something like this because I'm not normally impulsive, but something about this display grabbed me. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Now I'm off to buy that black VESA mount adapter and an Ergotron LX Tall Pole arm.

BTW could you take a photo of just how close to the table the monitor gets, since it has that weird thing in the middle sticking out, it gives the idea it isn't going to get completely flat on the table because of it, and I'm wondering just how much it sticks out.

Curious to see how well this is going to work for me, since I'm going to be receiving my embody chair at the same time as the monitor (hopefully), so still have no idea how high the chair goes, hopefully I won't end up having to cut the legs on my desk since that would be quite a lot of trouble.

its flat on desk, I thought it would be an issue too, but the middle sticking out doesn't effect it at all. no worries :)

Thanks so much for sharing with us Martha.
Could you possibly take a picture of the back of the monitor so we can see how the mount connected to desk and monitor looks like.

Also wondering how far from the back of the desk does the monitor stand ?
With this arm do you have an easy way of pulling the monitor forward ?
My idea is to have it like you have when I'm working and then pulling it all the way to the other edge when I watch movies - in that case I lay back on sofa rather tan sit on chair...

I'm going to be receiving my embody chair at the same time as the monitor (hopefully), so still have no idea how high the chair goes, hopefully I won't end up having to cut the legs on my desk since that would be quite a lot of trouble.

Well done mate the almost dream monitor and the dream chair at the same time :) starting good there in 2015 i see :)

The Embody is an absolutely amazing chair -- but in order to truly experience that you need to spend some serious time adjusting it, otherwise it will always strike you as just a very good chair. I actually found myself making tiny little tweaks even a couple of months after I'd gotten my personal one (I previously worked for a company that standardized on Embody chairs as their desk furniture and they spoiled me enough that I had to buy one for my home office when I left.) Anyway, I ended up writing an adjustment guide for them since a few friends bought them after I did. I'd be happy to send it to you via PM if you're interested. Congrats on a great choice!

And btw, the Embody goes up quite high, so I doubt you'll have a problem at all unless maybe you have an unusually tall desk. If it does become a problem, they actually do have an extended height adjustment option that you can custom order through dealers. I went the custom route because I liked the Berry Blue fabric color but hated that it came with a translucent white back; I wanted the anthracite backing that the black fabric chairs had. That wasn't an option even among the customizations, but my sales rep worked it out with Herman Miller and they were able to accommodate that request -- and my chair in that configuration looks about 50x better than the standard Berry Blue configuration. I sent a picture to my sales rep after I got it and she said, "Wow they should make them all like that!!"

Did you get the Balance fabric option, btw?

/Threadjack (sorry everyone!)

Last edited:
258pch3.jpg

Finally got it all set up.
Ordered from china on the 31st. got it in this morning.
so far I'm very happy. played a few dota 2 matches and some path of exile. both look big and sharp. A combination that was previously unheard of.

Thanks so much for sharing with us Martha.
Could you possibly take a picture of the back of the monitor so we can see how the mount connected to desk and monitor looks like.

pWOaXbol.jpg

monitor is about 12" away from my keyboard

The arm can adjust a ton forward or back or top to bottom so any regular desk should be fine.

Looking to buy this monitor. Does anyone have a safe link to buy this for under $1000?

Hey everybody,
A quick update after using it everyday for work and gaming
I use the screen at 55 % brightness all the time and I cannot feel more headacke etc than any other screen.
Very happy with it , so far the best screen I had.

The Embody is an absolutely amazing chair -- but in order to truly experience that you need to spend some serious time adjusting it, otherwise it will always strike you as just a very good chair. I actually found myself making tiny little tweaks even a couple of months after I'd gotten my personal one (I previously worked for a company that standardized on Embody chairs as their desk furniture and they spoiled me enough that I had to buy one for my home office when I left.) Anyway, I ended up writing an adjustment guide for them since a few friends bought them after I did. I'd be happy to send it to you via PM if you're interested. Congrats on a great choice!

And btw, the Embody goes up quite high, so I doubt you'll have a problem at all unless maybe you have an unusually tall desk. If it does become a problem, they actually do have an extended height adjustment option that you can custom order through dealers. I went the custom route because I liked the Berry Blue fabric color but hated that it came with a translucent white back; I wanted the anthracite backing that the black fabric chairs had. That wasn't an option even among the customizations, but my sales rep worked it out with Herman Miller and they were able to accommodate that request -- and my chair in that configuration looks about 50x better than the standard Berry Blue configuration. I sent a picture to my sales rep after I got it and she said, "Wow they should make them all like that!!"

Did you get the Balance fabric option, btw?

/Threadjack (sorry everyone!)

I saw an adjustment guide on their website, but if you can send yours as well, might be different and yeah I suspect I will spend quite sometime adjusting it, so every bit of info will help.

My desk (a mixture of workbench, shelf system and desk really) is a bit higher than usual, I had it made with around 81cm + 3cm tick, which is good for me since I can stand up and still work, so I would like to avoid having to cut the legs (also there is 10 of them ,so yeah kind of a lot of work).
Had no idea they had an extended height adjustment for it, never saw that option on any of the websites, then again doubt it's a good idea for most people, since if you lift the chair too much your feet will stop touching the ground, which apparently isn't a very good idea.
I also went the custom route, then again I didn't have much of a choice, there is only 1 dealer of herman miller in my country, and it's pretty much a side business for him, so he only had 1 embody, which was actually the reason I didn't get an embody 4 or 5 years ago, at the time there was no dealer in my country, and I didn't really feel like spending 2000€ on a chair that I couldn't try first, this time I got to try it and the aeron too, and have to say for anyone that is willing to spend up to 500€ on a chair, I would much rather go for a second hand aeron than for one of those POS 200€ chairs that you usually see in stores, since the aeron is from my very limited time with it, still a very good chair.

Anyway yeah custom ordered it at middle of november (40 work days for delivery he said), adjustable arms, C7 hard floor casters (wheels for hard floor), black frame, with black lower part and black balance fabric, definitely a more dull look, but I quite like it, it's basically this http://i.imgur.com/cidHp7v.jpg but instead of having scarlett and morgan I have wheels. BTW good to know they accommodate requests like yours, I definitely prefer the berry blue with the black instead of translucent back.

Ok, from doing the math, since this monitor's screen resolution is exactly twice 1920x1080 in both dimensions, then running at 1080p should be perfect with none of the non-native resolution blurriness that you get with LCDs otherwise. It'll be courser, of course, with bigger pixels, but 1080p is still a reasonably high resolution for high end 3d games.

Even the latest consoles don't usually render at 1080p (they render at a lower resolution and upscale in order to make the graphics contain more detail).

Does this monitor somehow mess this up in 1080p and not double the pixels perfectly? Does text not look razor sharp at 1080p? It would be pretty hard to screw that up, however, there's a horde of 4k displays that were shipped without even a way to run at 60 hz from an input signal as absurdly incompetent as that is.

I've wanted to buy one of these monitors to replace my current displays, and I was planning on running in 1080p when running higher end games, since even 2 of the most powerful gpus money can buy choke at 4k in some games.

Ok, from doing the math, since this monitor's screen resolution is exactly twice 1920x1080 in both dimensions, then running at 1080p should be perfect with none of the non-native resolution blurriness that you get with LCDs otherwise. It'll be courser, of course, with bigger pixels, but 1080p is still a reasonably high resolution for high end 3d games.

Even the latest consoles don't usually render at 1080p (they render at a lower resolution and upscale in order to make the graphics contain more detail).

Does this monitor somehow mess this up in 1080p and not double the pixels perfectly? Does text not look razor sharp at 1080p? It would be pretty hard to screw that up, however, there's a horde of 4k displays that were shipped without even a way to run at 60 hz from an input signal as absurdly incompetent as that is.

I've wanted to buy one of these monitors to replace my current displays, and I was planning on running in 1080p when running higher end games, since even 2 of the most powerful gpus money can buy choke at 4k in some games.

The only issue I've ever seen with scenarios like this is that sometimes ClearType won't look quite right because it uses subpixel rendering, which doesn't exactly translate when doubled in both dimensions; it also doesn't translate on displays with unconventional subpixel element configurations. That said, the issue is more academic than anything else in my experience based on running 3200x1800 15" displays at 1600x900 resolution. That may be different here since you'll have a regular PPI at this size, but then again if your only concern is gaming, I can't imagine there being a problem. Games tend not to look blurry even at lower resolutions that aren't exact halves of a panel's native resolution.

Games tend not to look blurry even at lower resolutions
that aren't exact halves of a panel's native resolution.

Speak for yourself, heh. The blurry text in games is really noticeable to me, especially at menu screens and in text boxes. Do games even use cleartype?

Ok, from the TFT central review, this monitor blurs text at 1080p because even though it's an integer multiple of the resolution, the clear type messes it up.

Also, it has a low frequency PWM backlight that flickers at 240hz. Absolutely unacceptable and worthless as a display, I'm not spending $800-$1000 to get several headaches a week.

Maybe other models will do better.

Ok, from the TFT central review, this monitor blurs text at 1080p because even though it's an integer multiple of the resolution, the clear type messes it up.

Also, it has a low frequency PWM backlight that flickers at 240hz. Absolutely unacceptable and worthless as a display, I'm not spending $800-$1000 to get several headaches a week.

Maybe other models will do better.

cya

Looks like the Seiki 40" according to TFTcentral's news area may use the Philips' panel according to their speculation. Though the Seiki will have a tilt function and swivel unlike the Philips. This could prove to be an option should the Philips not hit America before Seiki releases theirs.

Just thought I would bring that up cuz I know our Hard American brethren have got the big screen 4k itch that needs a mighty scratch xD.

can anyone confirm or tell me whether the BDM4065UC will work with xbox one 1080 p @ 60 fps with HDMI cable?

can anyone confirm or tell me whether the BDM4065UC will work with xbox one 1080 p @ 60 fps with HDMI cable?

I see no reason why not. Especially with multiple ports I would assume it's designed to accept a 1080p signal just fine albeit pixel doubled.

Ok, well my Yoybuy account now says that my purchase from Taobao has been refunded; the reason given is that it cannot pass customs. Anybody in the US who successfully purchased this way have any insight here? I live in Austin and chose to have the display shipped via DHL if that matters, though I can't imagine how it would. Could the customs rules have just changed or something?

Speak for yourself, heh. The blurry text in games is really noticeable to me, especially at menu screens and in text boxes. Do games even use cleartype?

Fair enough. Fwiw, I meant that the rest of games don't look blurry at 1080p, like textures, since I'd already specifically addressed text in that post. As for whether games use it, I suppose it would depend on the game engine. Devs certainly wouldn't be able to count on it being available on all platforms if they were also releasing on other systems, but I can't imagine ClearType support would take much effort to implement. On the other hand, if devs assume that a decent percentage of gamers play at resolutions below their display's native and therefore that ClearType might create more problems than it would solve, as we're discussing here, then maybe they would deliberately leave it out.

Ok, well my Yoybuy account now says that my purchase from Taobao has been refunded; the reason given is that it cannot pass customs. Anybody in the US who successfully purchased this way have any insight here? I live in Austin and chose to have the display shipped via DHL if that matters, though I can't imagine how it would. Could the customs rules have just changed or something?

A bit of a weird reason for them to give, that being said ordering from DHL can actually change how things happen at the customs level, at least here (and I think a lot of places), DHL usually takes care of clearing the package through customs, while if something is send by say EMS express, it is the person receiving the package that needs to deal with the customs (assuming they don't get a custom broker OFC).
It also changes who delivers the package to you, DHL will deliver the package to you if you order using DHL, while if you order using EMS express, it will be USPS that delivers it.

A bit of a weird reason for them to give, that being said ordering from DHL can actually change how things happen at the customs level, at least here (and I think a lot of places), DHL usually takes care of clearing the package through customs, while if something is send by say EMS express, it is the person receiving the package that needs to deal with the customs (assuming they don't get a custom broker OFC).
It also changes who delivers the package to you, DHL will deliver the package to you if you order using DHL, while if you order using EMS express, it will be USPS that delivers it.

Good info, thanks! I'd actually much prefer that something like this be handled all the way by DHL than the USPS ever getting its hands on it, frankly. I had several bad USPS experiences over the holidays, and they just don't strike me as people who would take the same level of care with large, fragile packages -- but maybe that's unfair. Anyway, I can't imagine that the customs RULES would be any different depending on which shipper was used, right? If using EMS shifts the customs burden to me, I'm wondering if I might end up in a situation where the display is shipped and arrives in the US but is then turned around (possibly leaving me on the hook for the shipping charge since it wasn't Yoybuy's fault) or worse, held by Customs here forever, in which case I wouldn't even be able to get a refund. I'm also keenly aware that I'm ordering in early January, so I suppose it's not impossible that new customs rules went into effect for 2015 after the other US residents here received their displays. :confused:

I currently have dell 2408wfp with about 10% brightnes, so it should have like 150 or 160hz ccfl refreshrate and i don't really see it flicker, and i did not think i can feel it, but when i tried working with cheap flicker free lcd it was much less tiring on my eyes. Do you think that this one with 240hz refreshrate would be considerably better then old 2408wfp?

In theory it should be better, if it actually is, or how much it is no one will be able to say with certainty, since unfortunately as far as I know there is no scientific study (or even close) into such a thing, and since it's a dying thing, doubt there will ever be.
That being said since you already suspect pwm is a problem for you, your best bet would be to buy from a place like amazon which has a pretty good return policy, and try the monitor for yourself.

I currently have dell 2408wfp with about 10% brightnes, so it should have like 150 or 160hz ccfl refreshrate and i don't really see it flicker, and i did not think i can feel it, but when i tried working with cheap flicker free lcd it was much less tiring on my eyes. Do you think that this one with 240hz refreshrate would be considerably better then old 2408wfp?

Did you control for other factors like matching the brightness of the two panels and matching the ambient lighting? Even if you did, there's always the placebo effect; my wife works in clinical research and it's astounding how many times patients she works with on single-blind studies say to her, "Oh my God, I feel so much better on this new medication!" when my wife knows they're on sugar pills. And related to that, there's the self-fulfilling prophecy concern, i.e. if you get the Philips expecting its PWM to cause a problem for you, you're more likely to start feeling eye strain when you might not have if you'd never known it had PWM in the first place.

And as has been said above, there haven't been any great studies of PWM to determine how much of an effect it tends to have on people anyway, so who knows.

Everybody is different, but I'm fairly confident that 240Hz flicker on an LED backlight will be considerably worse than 150Hz flicker on CCFL.

Has anyone seen this available for sale to Spain?
Or where I could search?
Moving there shortly and not familiar with where to look online.

I see no reason why not. Especially with multiple ports I would assume it's designed to accept a 1080p signal just fine albeit pixel doubled.

Completely pedantic but its actually pixel-quadrupled, since each axis is doubled. 1920x1080 is approx 2m pixels, and 3840x2160 is approx. 8m pixels. Your larger point is completely accurate, though, as everyone has stated:Since its an even multiple, its easy to scale up.

Seems like there is going to be a fair amount of 40"ish competition in that $700-$1000 price range. Whomever it is, they can't get here soon enough.

Last edited:
Back