Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

This is what Seiki will bring to the table in Q1 2015:

• Vertical Alignment (Super VA) LED panel technology with 3,840 by 2,160 4K Ultra HD resolution
  • 12-bit color processing and 14-bit gamma mode
  • HDMI 1.4 (HDMI 2.0 in Q2 2015), DisplayPort 1.2 (DisplayPort 1.3 in Q2 2015), MHL 3.0, DVI and VGA standards display connections
  • Picture-by-picture (x4) and daisy chain mode
  • USB 3.0 hub (1 upstream and 2 downstream)
  • VESA-compliant adjustable monitor stand with quick release

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/seiki-breaks-into-desktop-monitor-market-with-a-pair-of-seiki-pro-branded-4k-ultra-hd-displays-300015324.html

Some Pictures:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/seiki-pro-40-inch-32-inch-4k-monitors-are-at-large/#/1

HDMI 2.0 and DP1.3 not until Q2.

Seiki says it will let them hit a price point of around $1,000 for the 40-incher, which will launch within a few months. The 32-incher’s price is not yet announced, and it will launch in the second half of 2015.

FreeSync would have been nice.... ;)

This is what Seiki will bring to the table in Q1 2015:

• Vertical Alignment (Super VA) LED panel technology with 3,840 by 2,160 4K Ultra HD resolution
  • 12-bit color processing and 14-bit gamma mode
  • HDMI 1.4 (HDMI 2.0 in Q2 2015), DisplayPort 1.2 (DisplayPort 1.3 in Q2 2015), MHL 3.0, DVI and VGA standards display connections
  • Picture-by-picture (x4) and daisy chain mode
  • USB 3.0 hub (1 upstream and 2 downstream)
  • VESA-compliant adjustable monitor stand with quick release

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/seiki-breaks-into-desktop-monitor-market-with-a-pair-of-seiki-pro-branded-4k-ultra-hd-displays-300015324.html

Some Pictures:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/seiki-pro-40-inch-32-inch-4k-monitors-are-at-large/#/1

HDMI 2.0 and DP1.3 not until Q2.

As tempting as the Philips is, I guess I'll hold off until the Seiki releases. I just hope the input lag, etc. will be in line with what Philips brought to the table. One guy on Amazon bought the Philips from overseas and had a problem with his unit; Philips USA refused to support it or assist with warranty so now he has to deal with Philips in another country. Doesn't sound too appealing.

If they release it in the US before the Seiki though, not sure if I'll want to wait.

I wonder if a circle could be seen as bit eliptical??? That may depend on the size of the circle but I am unable to say at what size visual system is most sensitive to elipticity :confused: Can you make tests?

wp_20150107_002.jpg

The non uniformity of pixel ratio is too low on this screen to be seen by naked eyes for everyday use.
if you want to feel the non uniformity, you will have to draw a big 1:1 circle in Photoshop.
As you can see on Photoshop, its hard to tell but noticeable.
I am a designer/illustrator, I don t consider this as a big issue.

So far, only 4 minors issues -

From big to small :

1 - Very bad Stand, and horrible OSD menu. ( the stand is ok for a while, but you will have to change it probably. The osd menu, cant do anything, need to get use to it )
2 - Pixels ratio not exactly 1:1
3 - Evantual Backlight 250 Hz - PWM . ( I cannot feel this issue, even using the screen at 50 % brightness 8-12 hours / day )
4 - A very tiny slight input lag that you can feel if you have a second monitor with low input lag . when you move the mouse around.

On the other side, the screen have so many great points ...

1 - Very cheap
2 - Amazing picture / colors
3 - great response time ( no ghost )

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to test for the image stretching. I've been following this thread from since Post #1. Someone here broke the news that a few users over at some Japanese forum found out about this stretching phenomenon. Now we know those guys were right all along.

I think it should be a minor issue, but I'm definitely gonna wait for the 40" Seiki Pro and see what they can bring to the table.

What do you plan to do with the monitor? As far as I can tell for daily use it is a non-issue. Although I guess if you do very detailed CAD or architecture work it might be a different story.

What do you plan to do with the monitor? As far as I can tell for daily use it is a non-issue. Although I guess if you do very detailed CAD or architecture work it might be a different story.

I suspect it wouldn't be a problem there, since as a general rule for those applications you're making the models with certain dimensions (in real world sizes not pixels), so the models you make would be correct either way.
This is more of a problem for stuff that is mostly cosmetic and is going to be seen in monitors (game models, textures, 2d artwork).

Last edited:
Hey guys, i managed to get myself one of these just before christmas and have been loving the picture quality.
I just have one problem, it seems to be screen tearing every once in a while even on the desktop, its hardly noticeable but there is that stutter. It is connected with displayport and has been set to dp 1.2.
Is this a product of it running at 30hz or what, any ideas?

Thanks, Stonyer.

Can anyone tell me if this monitor supports true 1:1 pixel mapping? Right now I'm using an LG 49UB8500 (49" UHD TV) as a UHD pc monitor, and so far it's been great, but the slight compromises due to the fact that it's not a true monitor nag at me. Part of it is that the TV is very unforgiving of any resolution but full UHD or 1080p (or lower). I'd like to be able to display 3440x1440 in 1:1 pixel map (so pillar and letter boxed) on whatever UHD display I buy.

I had thought to do this with the nvidia drivers so my TV sees a full UHD image while game engines only render in 3440x1440, but there seems to be something wrong with Nvidia scaling right now.

The Dell U3011 (1600p) display I just retired could do this swimmingly - it would take just about any resolution and just display the pixels in the center if you set it to 1:1 mode. Can the Phillips do this?

Can anyone tell me if this monitor supports true 1:1 pixel mapping? Right now I'm using an LG 49UB8500 (49" UHD TV) as a UHD pc monitor, and so far it's been great, but the slight compromises due to the fact that it's not a true monitor nag at me. Part of it is that the TV is very unforgiving of any resolution but full UHD or 1080p (or lower). I'd like to be able to display 3440x1440 in 1:1 pixel map (so pillar and letter boxed) on whatever UHD display I buy.

I had thought to do this with the nvidia drivers so my TV sees a full UHD image while game engines only render in 3440x1440, but there seems to be something wrong with Nvidia scaling right now.

The Dell U3011 (1600p) display I just retired could do this swimmingly - it would take just about any resolution and just display the pixels in the center if you set it to 1:1 mode. Can the Phillips do this?

You mean like this?

I gotta admit I'm a little surprised to see you coming back to the 4k threads. Are you finding yourself using the LG more for gaming than the Swift?

I gotta admit I'm a little surprised to see you coming back to the 4k threads. Are you finding yourself using the LG more for gaming than the Swift?

Really depends on the game. I was with shooters for a bit and was using the Swift pretty exclusively, but I've been really hooked on FFXIV lately and it looks amazing in UHD on a large display.

Also, the reason I'm asking about the 1:1 mapping is to enable me to play games that might be a little more demanding graphically. I'd love to game in UHD for everything, but most of what drives me to keep a lower res monitor is the fact that it's just too many pixels to push. But if it could do lower res without scaling...

The Swift is awesome for its speed though, and I don't think I'd give it up even for the perfect UHD display. They just have different strengths, and (I feel) compliment each other.

Last edited:
Really depends on the game. I was with shooters for a bit and was using the Swift pretty exclusively, but I've been really hooked on FFXIV lately and it looks amazing in UHD on a large display.

Also, the reason I'm asking about the 1:1 mapping is to enable me to play games that might be a little more demanding graphically. I'd love to game in UHD for everything, but most of what drives me to keep a lower res monitor is the fact that it's just too many pixels to push. But if it could do lower res without scaling...

The Swift is awesome for its speed though, and I don't think I'd give it up even for the perfect UHD display. They just have different strengths, and (I feel) compliment each other.

Ahhh I was replying before your edit.

That's interesting. So you don't think G-Sync/144Hz really helps outside of FPS games then, or do you really just want a bigger screen?

I usually just play whatever my friends are into, and lately that's Heroes of the Storm. It looks great.

If you were stuck with one, would it be the Swift then?

Ahhh I was replying before your edit.

That's interesting. So you don't think G-Sync/144Hz really helps outside of FPS games then, or do you really just want a bigger screen?

I usually just play whatever my friends are into, and lately that's Heroes of the Storm. It looks great.

If you were stuck with one, would it be the Swift then?

I think it does make a difference everywhere, but the actual impact seems less with certain games. G-sync is incredible though, and to me, better than having 144hz capability.

But I value immersiveness most, and after gaming for the last 4 years on a 30" 16:10 display, a 27" 16:9 seems a little small. I use the Swift though because I feel certain games benefit more from g-sync and superb latency and frametimes more than others.

Overall though, most of what I play doesn't require super low latency and twitch responses, so provided my hardware can run it, I find that a UHD display adds more to the experience. It's almost shocking how small a 27" looks after you game on a 49" for even a short time, though my 49" is wall mounted and 1.5' further from my eyes.

I guess I'd say that, if I had to have only one, it'd have to be a (40" or larger) UHD display, as long as it can support lower resolutions in 1:1 mode. My current TV cannot, so I need something to compliment it with. The Swift does this perfectly because it gives me features the UHD will never have.

Obviously the ideal display - for me, this is a 40" UHD with g-sync and 144hz capability, IPS colors and view angles, low latency, low input lag, and ability to run custom resolutions in 1:1 pixel mapping - doesn't (and probably will never) exist. But I can get 70% of that with each of two displays, and get all of it when I combine them.

(sorry for the digression folks, I'll shut up now)

Could anyone please take some pictures of some games running at 4k, 2k and 1080p?
Some close pictures where we can see the difference on a pixel level would also be very welcome!

Thank you!!!

I think it does make a difference everywhere, but the actual impact seems less with certain games. G-sync is incredible though, and to me, better than having 144hz capability.

But I value immersiveness most, and after gaming for the last 4 years on a 30" 16:10 display, a 27" 16:9 seems a little small. I use the Swift though because I feel certain games benefit more from g-sync and superb latency and frametimes more than others.

Overall though, most of what I play doesn't require super low latency and twitch responses, so provided my hardware can run it, I find that a UHD display adds more to the experience. It's almost shocking how small a 27" looks after you game on a 49" for even a short time, though my 49" is wall mounted and 1.5' further from my eyes.

I guess I'd say that, if I had to have only one, it'd have to be a (40" or larger) UHD display, as long as it can support lower resolutions in 1:1 mode. My current TV cannot, so I need something to compliment it with. The Swift does this perfectly because it gives me features the UHD will never have.

Obviously the ideal display - for me, this is a 40" UHD with g-sync and 144hz capability, IPS colors and view angles, low latency, low input lag, and ability to run custom resolutions in 1:1 pixel mapping - doesn't (and probably will never) exist. But I can get 70% of that with each of two displays, and get all of it when I combine them.

(sorry for the digression folks, I'll shut up now)

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts. I do think it's relevant to deciding on the Philips 40" though.

I agree that it's hard to step down too much in size, and that vertical space is actually missed when downsizing after trying ultrawide. I was using the 37" Westy previously and had it further away than I did my 32", so I understand the distance from display with regards to immersion you're getting at.

But I value immersiveness most, and after gaming for the last 4 years on a 30" 16:10 display, a 27" 16:9 seems a little small.

I'm with you on that. I came to the same conclusion, which is why I ended up getting rid of my Samsung 27" 120hz monitor (which I used for two years after primarily using my U3011, but the 27" wasn't a huge step down in size so it was acceptable to me).

The smoothness/responsiveness and motion clarity/lack of blur were awesome but eventually I began to miss the extra desktop real estate and more vibrant colors of other displays. So then I got the BenQ BL3200PT and 34UM94, both of which I like for different reasons (and I became used to 60hz again real quick - didn't miss the Samsung much after it was gone).

Because I value immersion, I briefly contemplated getting one of the curved ultrawide displays but wasn't sure if they were worth the few hundred dollars more than what I paid for my flat 34" ultrawide. Like Mike, I used a Westy 37" for a long time and it was just incredible at the time. Best monitor ever. The Philips 40" is like a complete upgrade from that in most respects...it has a better VA panel, MUCH slimmer bezels, and 4K resolution (1920x1080 at that size would be terrible now, but it was very acceptable back then). The only advantage I can think of for the Westy is that it had such a plethora of inputs, so you had numerous options for connecting consoles and other sources.

Thought about getting one of the 32" 4K monitors but the price on the BenQ has shot up and it just feels like the Philips 40" would be a bigger upgrade...so I think that or an equivalent competitor (Seiki, etc.) will be my next display. It all depends on what drops in the US and when. I'm only going to want to wait so long. :)

For folks that are already using this monitor - are any of you using this screen in a multiple computer setup? In other words, as the primary screen for multiple computers, requiring constant changing of selected inputs based on which PC you are using?

I'm curious how easy the process is for changing between inputs, and how reliably - my HP ZR30w has a single button to toggle and worked reasonably well (but sometimes would never activate on the switched input event with a video signal and had to be unplugged/reconnected) and the Dell 3011 has an annoying OSD with a lot of limitations on timing/etc.

How is switching inputs achieved, and has it worked well? Thanks!

Argh, the more I read this thread I really want this display in the US!! (Never mind the fact that I didn't even know it existed a few days ago. :p) So people who have bought internationally, particularly from Taobao using Yoybuy, what has your experience been?

As you can see, the lack of any public confirmation of a US release has me thinking about importing, despite the risks of DOAs or warranty issues created by prohibitively high return shipping rates. Somehow the part of me that would ordinarily slap me and call me an idiot for contemplating this risk with a big, expensive, fragile piece of electronics is outweighed by the part of me imagining this behemoth at my desk in front of me. :D

I originally planned to order from somewhere in the UK like Dabs or Overclockers despite higher pricing since I've heard of Overclockers and at least we'd be speaking the same language, but it seems even those outlets don't have an ETA on inventory. I originally ruled out Taobao since I can't even read their site until I came across the mention of Yoybuy in this thread. It looks like I'd be able to get this thing shipped for US$974, which I consider entirely fair. I'd be buying from this link, which according to someone earlier in this thread comes from a reputable seller over there.

Does anybody have any wisdom they can drop on me here?

Argh, the more I read this thread I really want this display in the US!! (Never mind the fact that I didn't even know it existed a few days ago. :p) So people who have bought internationally, particularly from Taobao using Yoybuy, what has your experience been?

As you can see, the lack of any public confirmation of a US release has me thinking about importing, despite the risks of DOAs or warranty issues created by prohibitively high return shipping rates. Somehow the part of me that would ordinarily slap me and call me an idiot for contemplating this risk with a big, expensive, fragile piece of electronics is outweighed by the part of me imagining this behemoth at my desk in front of me. :D

I originally planned to order from somewhere in the UK like Dabs or Overclockers despite higher pricing since I've heard of Overclockers and at least we'd be speaking the same language, but it seems even those outlets don't have an ETA on inventory. I originally ruled out Taobao since I can't even read their site until I came across the mention of Yoybuy in this thread. It looks like I'd be able to get this thing shipped for US$974, which I consider entirely fair. I'd be buying from this link, which according to someone earlier in this thread comes from a reputable seller over there.

Does anybody have any wisdom they can drop on me here?

I read today in two different places that it's coming to the U.S. in Q1 2015. I think I'm going to wait, but if you end up going the overseas route let us know how it goes.

Then there are the two eBay sellers selling these for $1199 shipped from S. Korea which simplifies the process by removing the need for an agent...just click and wait for it to arrive...but you're paying a premium for that.

I just purchased mine from pccasegear here in Australia. Looking forward to putting my review up here and any overclocking results this panel may achieve as well. Should arrive in 5 to 10 days based on where I am located. Have not gone back to 60hz in a while but found when my s27a950d is run at 60hz it has 1ms worse latency and found it tolerable.

Plus moving from 1080p TN to 4k VA will be like night and day :).

You could try an Australian vendor since your dollar is pretty good against ours at the moment and a few of them have it back in stock now. I'm not sure what shipping would end up as though or if they would even ship it there. You'd also have to make sure they took off the local 10% goods and services tax.

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=BDM4065UC&spos=3

Hmm, I hadn't considered Australia because I figured that shipping costs from there would be even higher than from other countries, but I suppose that's not necessarily true. Thanks!

I read today in two different places that it's coming to the U.S. in Q1 2015. I think I'm going to wait, but if you end up going the overseas route let us know how it goes.

Then there are the two eBay sellers selling these for $1199 shipped from S. Korea which simplifies the process by removing the need for an agent...just click and wait for it to arrive...but you're paying a premium for that.

Any chance you'd be able to cite those two sources for that, or at least let us know if it's known where those sources got that information? I've read that myself, but the website I found didn't say how they knew that was true, and I'd have a far easier time waiting if I knew that was official. The only official word I've seen was that earlier tweet from Philips that indicated it would be a Euro-only release, but the information to the contrary came later. I'd have a hard time paying $1200 just to go through eBay because I'd still have the aforementioned DOA and warranty issues inherent in high international shipping costs, which are my main concerns, and this display through a TaoBao agent would come in over $200 cheaper.

I can probably wait a few weeks, maybe even a month and a half, which would get me through a decent chunk of Q1. Hopefully it will be out by then, otherwise I'll just have to see how I feel. I'm sure reading this thread won't help with the waiting, but I also want to stay on top of information as it becomes available. What a double-edged sword forums like this can be sometimes.... ;)

If you want to go up to a 40", might as well go all the way and get a curved 55" 4K OLED that are releasing this spring. ;)

So CES is in full flight and my understanding is that as it stands there's no announcements other than Seiki for 40" monitors right?

And if one needs monitor now or is willing to wait say a month even then Seiki is not an option.

Over in the Seiki thread someone mentioned that Seiki will be released middle of the year (according to person who was at the CES and spoke to someone at the Seiki booth)

So that means give it 2 more weeks for reviews to come in.

So if one wants to hit that DPI sweet spot with 40 incher then Phillips is the only option ?

Or am I missing something ?

Where I'm going with all this - I'm from NZ so I can just walk into a shop and buy one of these things. And it's bloody tempting to do that!! Just trying to figure out if there's anything potentially better just around the corner? Anyone?

P.S. the price converted to USD comes to 900 including tax if anyone cares

If you want to go up to a 40", might as well go all the way and get a curved 55" 4K OLED that are releasing this spring. ;)

Of course with anything larger than 42 there's all this talk about ergonomics that come into play - many posts on that earlier in this thread

Haven't found anything, in fact on CES the only announcement that was minimally exciting (IMO) was the acer IPS 144hz with gsync. Either way you're not going very wrong with this purchase, since while not perfect, it doesn't have all that many problems, the pixels aren't square, the stand sucks, and it has PWM which is either a problem for you or it isn't (most likely it isn't).

Going to go on a limb here and say if nothing else (and there is a lot else that might make that unsuitable), we are talking about completely different price points.

Thanks Micael
one more point for the phillips

- Will be replacing the default stand (potentially with one of those discussed in this thread)
- Don't care about the pixels being off a bit
- PWM is the only potential issue (will see if it affects me) => I'm willing to give that a go

I'm in total agreement on your comment about the oled :)

How's that, Vega? AFAIK that OLED is a TV, not a monitor. Is there any reason to believe that this TV will have 4:4:4 chroma, unlike nearly every TV that's hit the consumer market so far?

Also, 4k at 55-inches is only 80 PPI, which is basically the same as 1920x1080 at 27-inches. This 40-inch Philips monitor has 110 PPI, which is equivalent to 2560x1440 at 27inches.

I realise that on screens bigger than 32-inches, you'll likely sit further back, but several of us are getting ideas of using this Philips as a regular desk monitor.

Philips has obviously been nudged to try and reach out to the broader home user market. The only thing I can remember when I was a warranty techie was that the time-frame (in Australia) for getting replacement parts was a little longer than other manufacturer's.

All up I find their products to be really reliable and if they can pull off the picky enthusiasts that are us, then hats off to 'em.

On a side note, when my Philips get's here I will also be comparing it's latency compared with my 120hz sammy and posting it here. The only problem I imagine I'll encounter is in RTS' I will have to set a new DPI profile on my mouse.

P.S. The only testing I cannot do for others at request are colour calibrations, I do not have the equipment to do so, not needed in my line of work.

Interesting.

I enter in isthisretina.com
40" 4k becomes retina in 31"
55" 4k become retina in 43"

How to get in what viewing distance does a 40" and 55 inch 4k pixel pitch appears the same to our eyes?

I realise that on screens bigger than 32-inches, you'll likely sit further back, but several of us are getting ideas of using this Philips as a regular desk monitor.

You're correct, but I think people might be underestimating how far you have to sit to eliminate gamma shift on a 40 incher. My 37W3 was a bit under 4.5ft (~137cm) from my eyes. The top corners still had it, but I think that had to due with height because of the stock stand.

Aside from the other issues with the BL3200PT, there were a few complaints/pictures of people upset about the gamma shift on a 32" there. A normal, rectangular desk that's 3-4ft deep isn't going to be big enough.

With that said, I'm sure it's far from impossible to use this as a monitor. Anyone willing to drop the cash on a premium monitor surely has a decent desk to put it on.

I think the corner of my Ikea galant setup would just be deep enough if I put it all the way back, but I think most will need wall mounts or an arm and putting it at the very edge of the desk.

I'm sorry to nag but I'm on the point of buying this monitor...can anybody who has this monitor make a good youtube video of the screen about gaming on 1080p res on this monitor?
What does it look like, does it look like garbage or is it doable to watch?
I want this monitor for workspace, but I don't want to render at 4K for games :-P

Much apreciated!!

You're correct, but I think people might be underestimating how far you have to sit to eliminate gamma shift on a 40 incher. My 37W3 was a bit under 4.5ft (~137cm) from my eyes. The top corners still had it, but I think that had to due with height because of the stock stand.

Aside from the other issues with the BL3200PT, there were a few complaints/pictures of people upset about the gamma shift on a 32" there. A normal, rectangular desk that's 3-4ft deep isn't going to be big enough.

With that said, I'm sure it's far from impossible to use this as a monitor. Anyone willing to drop the cash on a premium monitor surely has a decent desk to put it on.

I think the corner of my Ikea galant setup would just be deep enough if I put it all the way back, but I think most will need wall mounts or an arm and putting it at the very edge of the desk.

I'm not sure I'd consider any desk that was 4ft deep to be normal. I wouldn't even be able to reach the back of a 4ft desk from the front, at least not remotely comfortably. Having just shopped around for desks, normal seems to be 2-3ft. My current L-shaped glass desk that I'll be replacing is 2ft deep, and the new adjustable height desk I bought is 2.5ft, but I also have and will continue to have a keyboard tray that will allow me to sit another several inches away from the desk surface, so I should be able to set my viewing distance from the panel as high as ~40". If gamma shift is a problem, then so be it. In that case I'll just take comfort in the fact that you can't have everything in this world, and people who don't suffer gamma shift also don't have something as awesome as a 40" 4K monitor situated close enough to fill their entire field of vision. :D

But all that said, I'm now wondering if the current owners of this display would be willing to share the depths of their desks and their viewing distances as well as whether they see any issues like this at the corners.

Last edited:
Philips has obviously been nudged to try and reach out to the broader home user market. The only thing I can remember when I was a warranty techie was that the time-frame (in Australia) for getting replacement parts was a little longer than other manufacturer's.

I would imagine that's because Philips hasn't actually made displays for some time and in fact just does private labelling monitors made by the Chinese manufacturer, TP Vision. TP Vision and Philips share a common owner (TPV Technology) but the reality is that some screens RMA'd to Philips cannot be easily repaired by Philips, and so need to be forwarded on to TP vision. Hence the longer time-frame compared to 'real' monitor manufacturers like LG or Samsung.

Not a reason to avoid Philips, by the way. It's just good to be aware of such things

Very valid points, especially since gamma shift is more likely to be an annoyance with VA panels. That said, I reckon I already have my 27-inch (2560x1440) monitor about 3 feet from my eyes. If I push the wall-mount back as far as it will go I can get it to about 4.5 feet. To move further back I'd need to retract the desk away from the wall. Happy to do so, though I'd rather leave it where it is. Hmm...

Back